Protests signal awakening

Could it be possible that the “American Spring” is headed toward our shores? The changes promised by candidate Barack Obama, which got him elected by our revolutionary youth who were absent from the polls for the past 50 years, never happened.

The “Disney” characters struggling to win the votes of the religious addicts and the lovers of the death penalty are denouncing the Wall Street protesters – who are by now reaching Main Street in more than a dozen major cities across the country – as being un-American. It was Paul Krugman of The New York Times who defined this historic event, saying “The protesters are simply trying to get their own voices heard. The real extremists here are the American oligarchs who want to suppress any criticism of the sources of their wealth.”

This could very well be the beginning of the change for which people have yearned for a long time. We are up in arms about economic inequality, greed and job losses, followed by the existence of hunger in many parts of the country; the poor quality of our educational system; the lack of fundamental health-care coverage for every citizen; and being out of sync with world realities. We have spent trillions of dollars for the past 10 years in an unwinnable war that was started on lies.

Let us pause and remember our fiery patriotic marches against the Vietnam War; our bloody struggle against race discrimination; and the battles between workers and bosses. Marches, sit-ins and fearless fighting against injustices always have played an important part in American history.

We need an awakening. Once in place, it will become unstoppable.

Joaquin Godoy

Aiken, S.C.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/13/11 - 11:27 pm
I really enjoyed this letter

I really enjoyed this letter Joaquin!
You speak the truth.

Vito45
Vito45 10/13/11 - 11:42 pm
Sounds like typical Democrat

Sounds like typical Democrat talking points to me. While I do not agree with those that are totally dismissing the protesters; I do see a bunch of bandwagon hoppers (ala '60's) joining the crusade without a real clue of what they are protesting. All they know is they are protesting the "evil rich establishment", just like the '60's protesters were against "the establishment". It isn't all bad, and maybe some good will come from it, but I wish they would protest in an intellectually honest way.

carcraft
carcraft 10/14/11 - 06:24 am
Joaquin lost me on this point

Joaquin lost me on this point " The real extremists here are the American oligarchs who want to suppress any criticism of the sources of their wealth.” The wealthy in America are always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, changing. I can cite example after example but I will stick to my favorites. Founders of Home Depot. They produced over 1,000 millionaires so far from just that one company. Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Johnson of BET, Winfrey, and even an adopted middle eastern guy named Steve Jobs and his partner. Are these the Oligarches of wealth Mr Godoy is launching his screed at? Name an oligarchy of wealth! 50 years ago where was Tiger Woods,and the founder of FUBU? More Oligarches of wealth? What about Ben and Jerry Ice Cream? Another Bastion of Wall Street hoarding wealth and trampling people? Please put a name to the Oligarchies of wealth. Jeffrey Imelt, head of GE who heads Obama's job panel? Just another liberal screed by someone who doesn't appear to understand capitalism and thinks Greece should be the model for new America like the current president of America!

copperhead
copperhead 10/14/11 - 06:37 am
The government should seize

The government should seize all companies that showed a profit,sell them to china,and divide the proceeds among the people living within our borders(include illegal immigrants). Take all assets of anyone with more than $100,000 and redistribute it among the people. Then we can live happily ever after.

copperhead
copperhead 10/14/11 - 07:25 am
I want any profit made by any

I want any profit made by any company on products that I have purchased over the years returned to me. We all know that desire to make a profit is evil and should be punished.Oh,but then I would be one of the evil rich and the government would have to take it away. What to do? what to do?

carcraft
carcraft 10/14/11 - 08:59 am
As an owner, along with

As an owner, along with millions of other Americans, of mutual fund investments for retirement and savings I am getting a return on the profits of a lot of companies. Still waiting to find out who are members of the oligarchy! Owners of the Federal Reserve Banks perhaps?

copperhead
copperhead 10/14/11 - 07:39 am
All assets over $99,999

All assets over $99,999 should be taken by the government for redistribution to the people. That way we all are equal and there will be no more class envy or evil rich people. With everything supplied by the government,there will be no more personal debt! Now THAT'S THE TICKET!

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/14/11 - 08:27 am
I have listened to the

I have listened to the interviews of these "protesters" and have read the SEIU printed signs many of them are carrying. I am not impressed. Not one person interviewed could articulate a specific issue and their proposed solution. They all sounded like beauty queen contestants with their stock "we want world peace and nobody in poverty" canned answers. I would be more impressed if they concentrated their anger on Washington instead of Wall Street.

david jennings
david jennings 10/14/11 - 08:34 am
The orotesters are only

The orotesters are only trying to have thier voices heard. Great, we hear them, but what ere they saying?
We are up in arms about economic inequality. I say there is much opportunity for a good education and economic success, but the OWS bunch think it should be handed to them by those who have worked and earned it.
I believe the wars were started when we were attacked on 9/11.I do agree with one thing Mr. Godoy said, we need an awakening and we need it in 2012.

Pu239
Pu239 10/14/11 - 09:14 am
I wonder if Godoy is a Greek

I wonder if Godoy is a Greek surname?

Chillen
Chillen 10/14/11 - 09:23 am
We do need an awakening. But

We do need an awakening. But we need one that is not organized by marxists & communists.

We need an awakening where the anger is properly directed - at the GOVERNMENT - the root of 99.999% of the problem.

We need an awakening with real protesters, not paid protesters and bussed in union protesters who were forced to attend.

We need a professional awakening. Not protests with litterers, street bathroom users, drug users, sexcapades and violence towards authority.

The Tea Party was able to do it and real change was put in place in 2010. Lets see if our liberal friends can get the job done right. So far, I'm not impressed. They are misguided in their mission.

Chillen
Chillen 10/14/11 - 09:38 am
Here's a great article about

Here's a great article about uprisings in America. This author contends that they will get violent & dangerous - especially since 84% of Americans live in urban areas (the scene of the protests).

"So we have the left and the right fighting with each other like cats and dogs. The Tea Party movement and Occupy Wall Street both pretty much hate each other. Meanwhile, those that control both political parties are enjoying the view."

"there are already signs that Occupy Wall Street protesters are not content with simply sitting in the park and banging on drums.........But most notable of all was the march to the homes of certain millionaires up in New York....... Needless to say, that is going to seriously upset some people. The home protests were not spontaneous. The truth is that they were highly organized. Organizers such as SEIU board member Stephen Lerner have been talking about them for quite some time."

"As the U.S. economy continues to fall apart, that frustration is going to continue to rise. What we are seeing all across America is only the beginning. We are going to see protest movements and explosions of anger that we can't even imagine right now. Dark days are coming for America. You better buckle up."

Many Arrows
Many Arrows 10/14/11 - 09:43 am
Chillen, you must be a banker

Chillen, you must be a banker

Many Arrows
Many Arrows 10/14/11 - 09:44 am
SAVERs get it.

SAVERs get it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/14/11 - 09:47 am
WEALTH-INCOME-POWER...Who

WEALTH-INCOME-POWER...Who rules America...

One of the best articles to read.....thanks posters for making me look formore info.on this.....interesting & long but worth it!!
Wealth leads to power & power leads to wealth---

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/14/11 - 09:56 am
The Census and Department of

The Census and Department of Commerce put a study: "The notion that the middle class is shrinking is controversial because the economic boundaries that define the middle class vary. Households that earn between $25,000 and $75,000 represent approximately the middle half of the income distribution tables provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. Over the past two decades, the number of households in those brackets decreased by 3.9%, from 48.2% to 44.3%. During the same time period, the number of households with incomes below $25,000 decreased 3.5%, from 28.7% to 25.2%, while the number of households with incomes above $75,000 increased over 7%, from 23.2% to 30.4%. "The increase was more people earning over 100k a year. The middle class is smaller because more people are enjoying success. Note even the lower income decreased. The middle class are educated autonomous folk who many are now advancing from their efforts. Kudos to those who work hard.

Chillen
Chillen 10/14/11 - 09:59 am
No many arrows. I am not a

No many arrows. I am not a banker - never even worked at a bank (though I do have a few banks accounts, does that count?).

I am a successful small business owners. Started from nothing, literally, nothing. Worked very hard & made something of myself.

The banks are ENABLED by the govt. Stop the govt and you stop them. Why can't you see this? It's so crystal clear.

I am disgusted at what America has turned in to. On many levels. And I blame it on our government. They have turned certain segments of our society into a lazy, dependent bunch. The politicians are bought & paid for by the banks & the big corporations.

The government is the problem, literally the root of all evil. They are where the anger should be directed. As I said. The protesters are misguided. Sure, be angry at the banks or the corporations but look at who gave them the money and the opportunity. The government.

Chillen
Chillen 10/14/11 - 10:07 am
So Many Arrows, by your

So Many Arrows, by your support for these non-grass root, marxist, socialist, communist, union organized protests I guess that you support those political ideals? Which of the above groups do you most identify with?

Take away the money & power the banks & corporations get from the government and please tell me how the banks & corporations (in their pure form - without govt intervention) are the problem? I'll answer it. They aren't. The govt enables them & gives them their wealth & power (at least the ones that are problems).

So, who do we need to stop? Who is stealing our money & giving it away? The Government. The root of all our problems in America.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 10/14/11 - 10:07 am
Excellent letter Mr. Godoy,

Excellent letter Mr. Godoy, end the control of the government by the corporations and put the government back in the hands of the people. End corporate writing of laws and return to the desires of the people being the basis of laws. Both democrats and republicans are on the corporate dole.

Bruno
Bruno 10/14/11 - 10:09 am
My question is will the

My question is will the police and those in power extend the same courtesy and leniency to the homeless who they regularly kicked out of the parks prior to the hipsters setting up their tent villages?

I have spent some time listening to the OWS people in Atlanta and must say that they have no coherent mission statement. They seem to be simply a ragtag group of vaguely grumbly do nothings that are blaming anyone and everyone for problems in their lives. (BTW, setting up a tent in a park, making a sign and complaining really isn't doing something.)

Chillen
Chillen 10/14/11 - 10:12 am
cassandra. You are 100%

cassandra. You are 100% correct. But how can we get the govt back in control of the people?

Sweeping political change, that's how. We need to fix the government.

The government is who we should ALL be angry with. They are do this to us. Intentionally.

carcraft
carcraft 10/14/11 - 10:47 am
Seenitb4 I looked up Dumhoff

Seenitb4 I looked up Dumhoff the author of the article you link. This is the same boiler plate stuff that follows the same reasoning of the book "The Rich and the Super Rich". This stuff has been around forever. The problem Dumhoff's theory faces is the fact that the Rich and Super Rich keep changing. Where was Gates 60 years ago? Where was Warren Buffet 75 years ago? Were these folks born to wealth? Where was Winfrey (who helped elect Obama) in years back? Was she born to wealth? What about the founders of Home depot? Is the building of the Atlanta Aquirium part of the plot? What about the 1000 millionaires that spun off of Home Depot? The wealth of America is not stagnant and is not in stagnant hands of an oligargy! If you can't explain these people that rise to wealth and Power (for heavens sake look at Obama, how much wealth did he come form?) then Dumhoff's theory has a problem!

Many Arrows
Many Arrows 10/14/11 - 10:24 am
Did I link to something?

Did I link to something? Where? Dumhoff? Who the heck is that.

Chillen, perhaps YOU don't mind putting your money into one of the holey buckets that are our local banks, but I do. One of them I looked into has an net interest margin that is up 50% courtesy of the Fed's zero interest rate policy that is resulting in me getting 0.25% to 0.8%. The FED is looting us. Then there is the local TARP bank that will wind up paying 8 or 9%. Why couldn't they pay ME 5%?????

I lived ultra frugally looking forward to retiring. I met every goal. Now these crooked bankers are stealing from me and you.

Finance grew from 11% of economy to 22% propped up by ponzi fees. Now they are propped up by the FED. The biggest welfare recipients in sight are your bankers.

Many Arrows
Many Arrows 10/14/11 - 10:26 am
On Drudge there is an article

On Drudge there is an article about retirees joining OWS.

Chillen, you are correct about the uprisings. When unemployment hits 30% watch out!

carcraft
carcraft 10/14/11 - 10:49 am
Sorry ManyArrows- I meant

Sorry ManyArrows- I meant seenitb4 who posted the link! I corrected my error, Thanks for pointing it out!T

Chillen
Chillen 10/14/11 - 10:50 am
Unemployment is already at

Unemployment is already at 30%. 10% "official" unemployment, 15% welfare (though many are there by choice) and 5% "given up". In fact, I read an article last week that said 36% of American households are on government welfare/assistance.

Don't forget the devastating effects of Under-Employment - plaguing about 50% of America right now.

Many arrows says "Now these crooked bankers are stealing from me and you." and "The biggest welfare recipients in sight are your bankers." I'm sure you are correct.

However, who is giving them our money and who is putting regulations in place that cause the banks to raise fees, etc.? The government.

faithson
faithson 10/14/11 - 10:50 am
mornin' chillen, I support

mornin' chillen, I support OWS from the point of view that there is to much money in the election process. As I have said, when over 2 billion will be spent in the next election cycle, just WHO is shelling out that 2 billion. WE must have campaign financial reform that makes the candidates responsive to 'the people' for better or worse, conservative or liberal, but in touch with the electorate not the corporate hand that feeds them. Anyone who does not see over the last 30 years the influence of 'big money' in politics has a vested interest in keeping it going, (Media corporations) or have their 'head in the sand'.

Chillen
Chillen 10/14/11 - 10:53 am
faithson. I agree 100%.

faithson. I agree 100%. Politicians should only be able to take money from American citizens. That way they are beholden to US, not the corporations or foreign interests.

And to go further, donations should be capped at $100 or $200 per person per candidate. That way every American has an equal chance of their candidate being supported.

But who is blocking these changes from occurring? The Government & The Politicians. They write the laws.

Here we go again. Back to the root of all evil. THE GOVERNMENT.

iLove
iLove 10/14/11 - 10:55 am
How can you trust anything

How can you trust anything these days?

Many people protesting, yet how many of them STILL buy from the same companies they are protesting against???

What is up with all of the "rallies" around the world in recent months?

We can march like Dr. King . . . . or we can fight like Malcolm did.

We can see what marching and sitting in got African Americans. (Yes, racisim is still here).

Imagine what it could have been if African Americans fought back.
Imagine if the "Occupy" crowd began to do more than VOICE an opinion.

#ACTION.vs.WORDS

Former commissioner's case remains under review

While former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith's statements to Georgia State Patrol investigators likely can't be used against him, the state Office of the Inspector General continues to conduct ...