Wrong is wrong -- Fred Russell must go

Augusta Commissioner Corey Johnson voted against firing City Administrator Fred Russell. Commissioner Johnson defended his vote by stating Russell had the authority to do what he did, and he could not fire a man for something he had the authority to do.

Johnson’s excuse for not firing Russell was the same excuse used by slaveowners. His excuse reminded me of a passage in the biography of Stonewall Jackson. When Jackson was about 12 years old, he lived with an uncle who was a slaveowner. One day Jackson asked his uncle was it right to own a slave. Jackson’s uncle replied that the law says he can, and he obeys the law.

That is the mentality of Corey Johnson and the commissioners who voted against firing Fred Russell. Slavery was legal but morally wrong. Mr. Russell had the legal authority to give out $350,000 in pay raises, but he was morally wrong.

I am an African-American. Therefore, my views are not racially motivated. Right is right and wrong is wrong. Slavery had to go; Jim Crow had to go; and Fred Russell must go.

Kevin Palmer

Martinez

smartasugarsugar
smartasugarsugar 09/25/11 - 06:52 am
I am an African-American.

I am an African-American. Therefore, my views are not racially motivated. "really" did he just say that? black people can't be racist? WOW!

david jennings
david jennings 09/25/11 - 07:48 am
Sugar you said it.I bet I can

Sugar you said it.I bet I can tell you Palmers opinion of a certain supreme court justice,C Powell,Herman Cain or any other conservative of Palmers race who dosent cling to this backward way of thinking.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 09/25/11 - 07:58 am
point of query: I have no

point of query: I have no view on the Fred Russell controversy, but I am curious about one thing: Why were the raises authorized by Russell
"morally wrong"? Will Kevin Palmer or another poster please explain?

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 09/25/11 - 08:38 am
They weren't legally wrong or

They weren't legally wrong or morally wrong just not the smartest thing that he could have done. With that said let's move on.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 09/25/11 - 10:43 am
"They weren't legally or

"They weren't legally or morally wrong...." Well, that was the point of my query, wasn't it. Palmer's entire argument was that the raises were "morally wrong." Doesn't your "correction" vitiate his whole letter?

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 09/25/11 - 12:41 pm
EEL-Whatever you say.

EEL-Whatever you say.

JRC2024
JRC2024 09/25/11 - 12:44 pm
What in the world does

What in the world does slavery have to do with what is going on with the Augusta Commission? To compare that is just not right. Kevin, bring your thinking up to this century and leave the long over past alone.
Because you are a black American means you can't be racist is just alot of hot air on your part.

david jennings
david jennings 09/25/11 - 01:45 pm
Its not about the pay

Its not about the pay raises,Palmeer just cant understand how Corey Johnson could possibly not side with Locket or Mason,I mean we got to stick together man.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/25/11 - 01:57 pm
Scooby Do said above that the

Scooby Do said above that the raises were not legally wrong. Well, the audit report that we read about in yesterday's paper says most if not all of the raises were legally wrong. That is sufficient reason to fire Fred Russell.

Another reason to fire him is that he did not provide accurate information about the raises when questioned by commissioners (who are his bosses). He falsely told them that the raises were for managers who were taking on additional responsibilities. The auditor showed that many of the raises were not for managers at all, but for engineers, computer operators, and even one part time utililites dept. employee.

Mr. Russell, it's time to go.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 09/25/11 - 02:09 pm
I thought Plamer was white.

I thought Plamer was white.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/25/11 - 02:13 pm
I read the Stonewall Jackson

I read the Stonewall Jackson biography too. The line the letter writer talks about is one that will stay with me forever. So many things are legal but morally wrong. Once when I was in college I drove horse drawn carriage tours in Charleston. I was pulled off to the side and all of a sudde from two blocks away a carriage went out of control and came barreling down the street. The driver had no contol over the animals wahtsoever. I pulled my carriage in a way as to keep my animal safe while blocking the road to stop the other runaway carriage. Well the mules that were pulling the runaway didn't see my carriage until the last second and slammed on brakes. They weren't hurt but they did a good bit of cosmetic damage to my carriage. The carriages are built very sound but the cosmetic parts are very fragile. When I returned to the barn my boss was pretty angry at first but being the good guy that he is was joking about it before long (Probably because the other company said they would pay for the damage to my carriage.) Anyway my boss said from a moral standpoint what I did was right but from a business standpoint it was stupid. If you could have heard the people on that carriage screaming as the mules picked up speed there was no way I could just sit there while it went speeding by me. Many other owners said what I did was stupid but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It was just a split secind decision.
As far as Fred Russell is concerned he had plenty of time to decide what he was going to do. I don't trust the guy but then no one cares what I think.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/25/11 - 02:44 pm
Here is the link to the

Here is the link to the Chronicle article showing some of the improprieties in the raises.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 09/25/11 - 04:02 pm
Whatever you say Little Lamb

Whatever you say Little Lamb

DoggieMom
DoggieMom 09/25/11 - 04:17 pm
The reason the raises are

The reason the raises are wrong, is because many state & city employees are being forced to take furloughs each month.
These unplanned days off reduce their monthly pay-check, often in violation of a signed yearly contract.
Most people cannot find a 2nd job for just 1-2 days per month, so suffer a loss of standard of living, if their budget is tight already.
With significant cost increases this year, especially for gasoline and groceries, many families are already barely making it.
Giving raises to a select few, while other workers face furloughs, is just wrong. Either use that $$$ to eliminate ALL furlough days, or save the excess until everyone receives equitable raises.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 09/25/11 - 11:38 pm
What is the definition of

What is the definition of African-American? Can you be African and American at the same time? Wouldn't that be dual citizenship? Or maybe I should ask what Mr. Palmer's personal definition of African-American is? He seems to be referring to a lack of racism being a unique quality of African-Americans. Does he mean people of a certain race can not be racist? I haven't noticed any race that hasn't had some members that were racist against other races. As a matter of fact, I have seen all races exhibit racist and prejudiced behaviors in epidemic numbers since I moved to the south. Many people that normally call themselves African-Americans in my community are not exceptions to that generalization.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 09/26/11 - 07:25 am
another brilliant panel

another brilliant panel discussion on race. this paper's comments section must be a world leader on the topic.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 09/27/11 - 10:59 am
I do not understand why Fred

I do not understand why Fred Russell is making the decisions he has made. They seem willfully self-destructive, yet he seems to be immune from consequences of bad decisions. Why?

Man pleads guilty to assaults, gets life plus 20 years

Jarius Dantzler has pleaded guilty to assaulting Tiqwana Tate and two other women in exchange for a sentence of life in prison plus 20 years.