Powderworks flag historically accurate

Regarding the story “Confederate Powderworks flag to be replaced with more historically accurate one” (Sept. 16): The Augusta Canal Authority is mistaken. The Confederate Battle Flag is historically accurate.

In August 1864, all Confederate forces in Augusta, including those under Col. G.W. Rains’ authority, were assigned to the Army of Tennessee under Gen. John B. Hood. The Army of Tennessee battle flag was ordered by Gen. Joseph Johnston and issued to units beginning in January 1864. The rectangular design incorporated 13 white stars on a blue St. Andrew’s cross on a red field. Augusta’s Commanding Gen. A.R. Wright sent 1,300 troops, including companies from the Powderworks, to Macon under the Army of Tennessee battle flag.

If the Canal Authority wants to be truly “historically accurate,” the First, Second and Third Confederate National Flags, along with the Army
of Tennessee Flag, should be
displayed.

In 1993 I placed the first battle flag on the face of the chimney on April 26, and every year after that until I left it attached to the chimney in 2006 (I went to Afghanistan in November). Camp members put up the current metal flag. There has been a battle flag attached to the chimney once a year for 13 years and attached for the past five years without complaint or comment.

Now, perhaps to appease the Georgia Historical Society and the local Salvation Army, they demand the historically correct battle flag be removed because of a flimsy “historical accuracy” excuse and a feigned sudden concern for the chimney after receiving a state tourism award for improvements to the Augusta Canal National Heritage Area.

It’s all just a “Kroc.”

(The writer is a past commander of the Sons of Confederate Veterans’ Brig. Gen. E. Porter Alexander Camp in Augusta; the Georgia Military Order of the Stars and Bars; and the order’s Col. G.W. Rains Chapter in Augusta.)

agustinian
agustinian 09/21/11 - 07:21 am
To the Chronicle staff: How

To the Chronicle staff:
How do you write an article about a new flag for the powder works without including a picture of the flag?

Same with this editorial, how do you run this without attaching pictures of the flags in question?

Techfan
Techfan 09/21/11 - 08:24 am
Seems very similar to a

Seems very similar to a comment on 9/17/11 by a poster who calls himself, :UncleRemus" Screen names sure can tell you a lot about the person making the comments.
"The Battle Flag is historically accurate, in 1864 Confederate Forces in Augusta including all under Col. Rains authority were assigned to the Army of Tennessee under Gen. Hood after the battle of Atlanta. (Source:Never for want of powder: the Confederate Powder Works in Augusta, Georgia, page 231).
The Army of Tennessee pattern battle flag was ordered by Gen. Joseph Johnston to standardize the flags carried by the Western Armies. The Army of Tennessee pattern battle flag was issued to units beginning in January 1864. The rectangular design incorporated twelve to thirteen white stars on a blue St. Andrew's cross on a red field. Col. Rains Commander Gen.AR Wright sent 1300 troops including companies organized from the Powder Works to help defend Macon under the Army of Tennessee pattern battle flag.
The Canal Authority should take a history lesson and stop trying to pasteurize,homogenise and tell damn lies about Augusta's Confederate history to appease the Kroc Center."

harley_52
harley_52 09/21/11 - 08:46 am
So, assuming you're correct,

You said it told you "a lot," please share because it doesn't tell me anything at all.

burninater
burninater 09/21/11 - 09:13 am
It still strikes me as funny

It still strikes me as funny that people obsess over remembering and honoring a Civil War era flag, but if you bring up slavery they moan that that was 150 years ago and people should just get over it.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 09/21/11 - 09:20 am
It tells us that Uncle Remus

It tells us that Uncle Remus has a pony in this horse race.

hounddog
hounddog 09/21/11 - 09:42 am
burninater, ‘honoring a Civil

burninater, ‘honoring a Civil War era flag, but if you bring up slavery they moan that that was 150 years ago and people should just get over it.’
You are correct, some people won’t let the flag go just as some want to keep the flames of slavery burning. It is time to let the past RIP.

Techfan
Techfan 09/21/11 - 09:49 am
I guess the signs Westboro

I guess the signs Westboro Baptist hold up don't tell you anything either.

harley_52
harley_52 09/21/11 - 10:25 am
Not going to answer the

Not going to answer the question, Techfan? It's okay. I know what you meant.

usafveteran
usafveteran 09/21/11 - 12:11 pm
Over the years I've given

Over the years I've given over $100 annually to the local Salvation Army. With their complaints about the "historic" battle flag on the Powderworks himney, my donations will be sent to less "politically correct" charities.

burninater
burninater 09/21/11 - 12:58 pm
harley -- So, assuming you're

harley -- So, assuming you're correct, Techfan, what does Mr. Highsmith's screen name tell you about Mr. Highsmith.

--------------------------

"By the mid-20th century, however, the dialect and the "old Uncle" stereotype of the narrator (Uncle Remus), was considered demeaning by many people, on account of what they considered to be racist and patronizing attitudes toward blacks. Providing additional controversy is the story's context in the Antebellum south on a slave owning plantation, a setting that is portrayed in a passive and even docile manner, contrary to modern attitudes that slavery was a terrible travesty in United States history and should be portrayed as such."

So, screen name of a character viewed for over 50 years as a symbol of racism, tied with obsession with Confederate flag history. What this says about Mr. Highsmith, if he did in fact post as Uncle Remus, is that he'd feel very uncomfortable in certain company.

harley_52
harley_52 09/21/11 - 01:31 pm
You're making lots of

You're making lots of assumptions, burninater. Not that it's unusual for you, mind you.

Symbol of racism? By who? You? Others who look for racism under every rock? As far as I can see most trumped up charges of racism are simply attempts at character assassination by PC lefties. It tells you nothing about Mr. Highsmith at all. He may even be black. He may have chosen the Civil War as a hobby because he wants to learn about it. He may abhor slavery.

It seems to me the real racists are on the left. I don't know anything about Mr. Highsmith at all, except that he's a little upset with people for bowing to the altar of P.C. Not a word he said gave any reason to think he's racist in any way. Not to worry, the lefties will just invent one.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 09/21/11 - 01:48 pm
imo anyone who claims that

imo anyone who claims that they do not know that this flag is viewed world wide as a racist American symbol has a serious case of the denials. You may claim it's your heritage and all that, but don't claim you didn't already know the most Americans outside your group and most the rest of the world look on this flag as, to quote a German citizen in Germany when he saw it on a state flag at a US-German event, "the American swastika". The swastika was hijacked by a hate group too, wasn't it? And no one would dispute that it is seen world wide as a hate symbol.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 09/21/11 - 02:57 pm
Cassandra, Hindus would

Cassandra, Hindus would dispute that.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 09/21/11 - 03:08 pm
I hva eknown Woody for years

I hva eknown Woody for years and he is no "racist" at all.

Seems the only people having a problem with the truth here are the folks that changed the Battle Flag on the Confederate Powderworks.

This is the "Confederate" Powderworks, not the State House and everyone has always said, this is a flag that belongs to history.

So now we see that even on a monument dedicated to the Confederate's cannot be a place to display the flag.

I guess some folks just wish we could rewrite the history of the South and remove the Confederate States of America from the books.

Be careful what you ask for and advocate to be removed from our collective history, because your cause you are for today may be tomorrows "Confederate" symbol.

All history is history,

Brad

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 09/21/11 - 03:12 pm
Sorry to disappoint you in

Sorry to disappoint you in your little jab Brad, but I know a lot of Hindus and they understand full well that their symbol of peace and love was hijacked by Hitler and since WWII had been seen as a symbol of hate. If seen a couple get real angry at the sight of some shaven head individuals who promote hatred of races and religions who wear and carry flags with that symbol. The fact that they know it's original and true meaning and use it in their worship does not mean that they would fly it on a flag at a German historical monument and try to say they don't understand it's symbolism in that context. You're going to have to grasp another straw to sip your kool-aid from that one is broken.

burninater
burninater 09/21/11 - 03:19 pm
"As far as I can see most

"As far as I can see most trumped up charges of racism are simply attempts at character assassination by PC lefties."
--------------
Harley, please. Uncle Remus and the Confederate flag were both viewed as symbols of racism before I was even born. PC lefties haven't suddenly made these things up. Just because you don't agree with my conclusions doesn't mean that the facts supporting them don't exist.

Taken separately, I agree with you that one would be jumping to conclusions. Put the two together and a pattern begins to emerge.

If basing conclusions on a pattern of evidence is a characteristic of the left, then call me a card-carrying member.

And to repeat, in echo of Brad's comment about Woody, I haven't said the LTE writer is a racist because of their position on the historical Confederate flag. I'm saying that a posting name of "Uncle Remus" combined with detailed Confederate flag postings begins to suggest a pattern of thinking. Techfan found language in a post made by an "Uncle Remus" that was similar to language in the LTE, but that by no means indicates the two are the same person. They very easily could have been working from the same primary source.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 09/21/11 - 03:26 pm
Brad, who called "Woody" or

Brad, who called "Woody" or anyone else a racist? The assertion is that the rebel battle flag is recognized as a racist symbol by most of the world. The war has been over for 150 years, put the flag in a museum.

derekdugan
derekdugan 09/21/11 - 03:28 pm
A lot of accusations made

A lot of accusations made about the Salvation Army but no interview questions asked of them? I was the communications director there until 2 weeks ago. I can tell you for absolute certainty that I was approached for an opinion on the matter and The Salvation Army declined to get involved or issue an opinion on the matter specifically for the reason that The Salvation Army does not want to be involved in political issues.

A call or email asking that question could easily answer that rather than these loose accusations.

hounddog
hounddog 09/21/11 - 05:09 pm
Techfan, ‘I guess the signs

Techfan, ‘I guess the signs Westboro Baptist hold up don't tell you anything either.’
Westboro Baptist tells me about as much as the Black Panthers do, both are hate groups.

hounddog
hounddog 09/21/11 - 05:13 pm
Cassandra, ‘The war has been

Cassandra, ‘The war has been over for 150 years, put the flag in a museum.’
I agree along with the rhetoric about slavery.

bjphysics
bjphysics 09/21/11 - 05:19 pm
“How Exposure to the

“How Exposure to the Confederate Flag Affects Willingness to Vote for Barack Obama”

Disclosure: I have not read this study.

Prediction: Others that have not read this study will either uncritically support it or uncritically criticize it without validating or invalidating its methodology, respectively.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 09/21/11 - 05:49 pm
Cassie, words are powerful,

Cassie, words are powerful, they have meaning. You said, "The swastika was hijacked by a hate group too, wasn't it? And no one would dispute that it is seen world wide as a hate symbol."

I said, "Hindus would" and being that they still decorate temples with it, I would say that you either have no idea what you are talking about or have not been outside the US.

As far as comparing the Nazi flag to the Confederate one, I would say it is you who have been drinking something.

The point of the article was to correct folks who want to say that the flag that was displayed had "no connection" to the Powder Works, and that is a lie. I know the left loves to rewrite and revise history to suit their politics, but facts are facts.

bjphysics
bjphysics 09/21/11 - 06:01 pm
I’m curious about this

I’m curious about this Powerworks thing (which I know nothing about, other than what I have read here); did they use slave labor?

bjphysics
bjphysics 09/21/11 - 06:08 pm
More curiosity I have: can

More curiosity I have: can anybody tell me if the Nazi flag is displayed at the Auschwitz concentration camp which still stands as a memorial to its victim’s?

Sorry to trouble everybody with all these bothersome history questions.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 09/21/11 - 06:19 pm
Brad - Let me clarify. My

Brad - Let me clarify. My American friends living here in the US recognize that the swastika when not used in their religious ceremonies is a symbol of hate for most people. I see that one of my sentences was not as clear for your understanding as it might be, so let me write that part again.

I have friends who are Hindu, whom I have personally witnessed being outraged at seeing the flag being worn on the clothes of and carried on banners of white guys with shaved heads (otherwise known as skin-heads), due to feeling the racial and religious hatred they feel the swastika represents when used by those outside their religion.

Hindus are not stupid Brad, don't insult them.

I didn't call the flag the "American swastika", a real life German was said it when viewing the flags from a few certain states in a parade of state flags at a combined German/American event in Frankfurt Germany in 1990. I did not know the man, he was shocked to see the symbol he recognized as a hate symbol on official state flags.

Yes, I am going to compare the Confederate Battle flag to the swastika. Both had good people serve under the symbols as soldiers this is true. The swastika was hijacked by Hitler as a symbol of racist and religious terrorism and the Confederate Battle flag was hijacked by pretty much every white supremacist group in N. America and many in Europe for their terrorism.

The fact that as smart and well travelled as you are, you claim to not realize how the rebel flag has been used for more than a century as a symbol which was used to terrorize people of all races and religions in this country and others, and under which people were murdered, raped, arsoned, and brutally beaten makes me wonder what you've been drinking yourself.

As to my Hindu sources you are my FB "friend" pick out any of my friends with Indian features and Indian ethnic names and message them asking them do they understand that overall the world views the swastika as a hate symbol even though by their religion it is a symbol of peace.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 09/21/11 - 06:26 pm
Brad - just to help you out,

Brad - just to help you out, look up a picture of the new American Nazi Party flag (ANP) and then come back and tell me with a straight face that you don't think a Hindu would see that use of the swastika as a symbol of hate. I would post a link here, but I'm not sure Sean would not be required to remove it.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 09/21/11 - 06:32 pm
physics - no, I've been

physics - no, I've been there. You will also not see the nazi flag openly flown anywhere in Germany as far as I recall, even by those who had beloved family members killed fighting their wars of liberation of the fatherland.

Techfan
Techfan 09/21/11 - 06:40 pm
I know, they're just

I know, they're just celebrating history and their ancestors. Jamestown was founded in 1607, I guess it's just coincidence that they only celebrate 4 out of 404 years.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/21/11 - 06:49 pm
What flag was flying before

What flag was flying before women's suffrage?

usafveteran
usafveteran 09/23/11 - 10:40 am
Before the late 1950's, the

Before the late 1950's, the Confederate battle flag was known as a "soldiers' flag" and a time honored symbol of the South. It was not the flag of the Klan that has been portrayed so erroneously in the media--the Stars and Stripes was! During the struggle for civil rights, those who had no claim to the flag utilized it, as well as the US and Christian flag, for their own vile purposes. However, I do not see people trying to ban the US or Christian flags or calling them a "racist symbol" because racists have utilized them. It is a selective discrimination against the Confederate battle flag by the media, those who are truly ignorant of history, and those who obtain their history from movies. Sadly, one can not ascribe anything to the Confederate battle flag that did not happen under the folds of "Old Glory".