Wrongful execution must be stopped

On Sept. 19, 2008, I appealed to the Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles to grant clemency to Troy Anthony Davis, who was facing execution for the tragic murder of Savannah police officer Mark Allen MacPhail. I write now to renew my appeal for clemency in this case.

The U.S. Supreme Court has declined to review Mr. Davis’ first appeal and he now faces his fourth execution date. It would be immoral to execute Davis, given the serious doubts that remain about his guilt. In the final hearing on the case, Davis’ attorneys failed to meet a standard of proof of innocence the judge himself called “extraordinarily high,” but doubts about his guilt were not resolved. Instead, the Troy Davis case is doomed to remain mired in doubt and uncertainty. The lack of physical or scientific evidence that can be objectively tested – and the almost total dependence, by both sides, on less reliable forms of evidence such as witness testimony – means that neither side is likely to make much headway toward proving innocence or guilt with any degree of certainty.

When the board suspended Troy Davis’ first execution date in July 2007, it assured the public that the board “will not allow an execution to proceed in this state unless and until its members are convinced that there is no doubt as to the guilt of the accused.” Yet doubt persists in this case, and will persist unless more solid and trustworthy forms of evidence emerge. An execution under these circumstances would undermine public confidence in Georgia’s criminal justice system. Granting clemency is the only way to assure the people of Georgia that their state will not permit an injustice as severe and irreversible as a wrongful execution.

I urge the board to grant clemency and commute Troy Davis’ sentence without delay.

Jimmy Carter

Plains

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/18/11 - 12:24 am
I agree!

I agree!

Insider Information
Insider Information 09/18/11 - 12:35 am
Mr. Carter ignores the fact

Mr. Carter ignores the fact that criminal prosecutions must be proved "beyond a reasonable doubt." That is, the standard of proof is not beyond all doubt.

The state does not carry a burden to prove guilt to a scientific certainty of the sort that Mr. Carter is dreaming up.

Are we to ignore a jury verdict and the decisions of countless judges, including a decision by the U.S. Supreme Court?

Davis has repeatedly been proven beyond a reasonable doubt to be a cop killer. Period.

wcorowitz
wcorowitz 09/18/11 - 03:14 am
To be an Insider, you sure

To be an Insider, you sure comment like a true outsider. Nobody is presenting credible evidence that Troy Davis killed anyone. No physical evidence. No DNA. No credible witnesses. What if three crackheads said you killed a cop? That's what this case amounts to. All of the credible witnesses have recanted and said they were coerced. Out of the only remaining ones who said that Troy Davis killed the cop,one of them is actually a suspect in the case. Insider, on what evidence are you willing to sanction the murder of Troy Davis? Why comment on this case if you don't know the facts? There is a good reason that so many people are calling for Mr. Davis' life to be spared. This is not Tookie Williams. This is probably the most credible case in the state of Georgia for clemency. If you kill Troy Davis, then you pretty much guarantee that the real killer gets away with murder. There are no Mulligans!!

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 09/18/11 - 03:24 am
(W)corowitz, The real killer

(W)corowitz,

The real killer is scheduled to get his just desserts on Wednesday coming.

hounddog
hounddog 09/18/11 - 07:50 am
‘Should this schedule be

‘Should this schedule be disrupted by an outpouring of popular distaste, the disruption would amount to the latest example of the power of the mass media to misinform the Public and to sell people on the value of an idea or most anything else, however vapid it might be.’
The ColorofChange is going all out to get this guy off, I guess because he black.

Jane18
Jane18 09/18/11 - 08:14 am
Surprising that someone

Surprising that someone mentioned Tookie Williams, didn't Carter, Jesse Jackson and others try to keep that execution from happening? And didn't Tookie kill,excuse me, murder a policeman also?

dougk
dougk 09/18/11 - 08:28 am
I presume that you have some

I presume that you have some special, all-knowing powers, Mr. Spinks??

avidreader
avidreader 09/18/11 - 08:49 am
I trust Jimmy Carter. Mr.

I trust Jimmy Carter.

Mr. Carter believes that there are shreads of doubt in the case of Mr. Davis. I also believe this. In reality, the man will live the remainder of his years in a prison, so why not give him the benefit of this doubt.

My contention in all matters of execution is simple: It is cruel and unusual punishment to execute any person who has been on death row for fifteen to twenty years. We as a society have allowed this inmate to reflect and prosper as a human being, and spiritually speaking, we are not killing the man who commited the crime. We are executing the ghost of his past.

Haki
Haki 09/18/11 - 08:51 am
@insider, there is too much

@insider, there is too much doubt to allow an execution. What has become of this great country!

Haki
Haki 09/18/11 - 08:56 am
And please explain to me how

And please explain to me how Tookie Williams and Jessie Jackson is so relevant to this? Sometimes people wear their heart on their sleeve.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/18/11 - 09:03 am
avidreader wrote: I trust

avidreader wrote:

I trust Jimmy Carter.

That may be the most frightful statement ever published in The Augusta Chronicle.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/18/11 - 09:07 am
Haki wrote: There is too much

Haki wrote:

There is too much doubt to allow an execution.

Sorry, Haki, but all matters of reasonable doubt were addressed by the jury and the trial judge. Matters of fairness and procedure have been dealt with by appellate judges. The jury's actions must be honored, or else the United States will be no better than a mob-ocracy.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/18/11 - 09:09 am
Not really Llamb.....she

Not really Llamb.....she didn't say----

I TRUST CONGRESS....that would scare me.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/18/11 - 09:25 am
That would be even scarier,

That would be even scarier, SeenIt.

Bruno
Bruno 09/18/11 - 09:36 am
The jury found no reasonable

The jury found no reasonable doubt. The appeals failed.

harley_52
harley_52 09/18/11 - 10:17 am
dougk said...."I presume that

dougk said...."I presume that you have some special, all-knowing powers, Mr. Spinks??"

Perhaps just a little of that ol' fashioned "scholarly insight" you love to claim for yourself?

Jimmy Carter was a miserable President. Aside from Obama and James Buchanan, he may be the worst ever. Too soon to tell. Since his failed Presidency he has lived his life trying to redeem his disgusting reputation, even to the point of traveling to foreign soil and badmouthing America in order to win the support of foreign born America haters.

Carter being "for" something is more than enough good reason for normal people to be against it.

TrickMe
TrickMe 09/18/11 - 10:22 am
I do believe in the death

I do believe in the death penalty. AND I don't think I have EVER agreed with Jimmy Carter on ANYTHING, before today. But I have followed this case for years. When almost all witnesses recant their stories, when there was noted police coersion, when someone else has been named as the trigger man . . . execution is not the answer on this one.

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/18/11 - 10:47 am
And after they execute Davis

And after they execute Davis they should prosecute the 7 who recanted their sworn testimony for perjury. They obviously lied one way or the other. This case has had every possible kind of legal revue and the courts have not found any reason to change the outcome. And believe me, with all of the liberal judges we have in the system today, if there was ANY reason to stop this execution, one of them would have done it by now. I see no reason for the pardons board to question the courts. What Mr. Carter should be calling for is an investigation of what pressure was applied, and by which groups, to influence 7 out of 9 eyewitnesses, who at one time swore that Davis did it, to now lie and recant their sworn testimony. That would be the real story here.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 09/18/11 - 10:54 am
The wrongful execution that

The wrongful execution that should have been stopped was Mr. MacPhail's by troy anthony davis. Blacks commit more violent crimes against authority, yet seek shelter from responsibility from the likes of jimmy carter, naacp, aclu, cbc, glbc, amnesty international and the pope. Who speaks for the victims? Juries. Mr. carter, stick to radioactive waste or peanuts, please. You seem to be more qualified in these areas.

HomeinHarlem
HomeinHarlem 09/18/11 - 11:26 am
There are some really

There are some really disgusting posts coming on here this morning. Whether or not you agree with Carter's political ideology, he is still a former president of the United States, and due all respect.
To the poster who keeps posting the same garbage about executing Carter, keep it up. You might think you're cute, but you're not. I have all day to report you, and don't think for a second that I won't report your behind in to the CIA if I see one more. Screenshots are damning.

allhans
allhans 09/18/11 - 11:45 am
Homes..The poster said he

Homes..The poster said he should "volunteer", nothing more.

GaStang22
GaStang22 09/18/11 - 11:46 am
Someones a little dramatic.

Someones a little dramatic.

HomeinHarlem
HomeinHarlem 09/18/11 - 11:53 am
Allhans and Gastang, you

Allhans and Gastang, you didn't see the earlier post that was removed.
I don't care if he said volunteer or not in the second post. You don't make a suggestion to execute a former president. Not only is it in extremely bad taste, it's illegal.

happychimer
happychimer 09/18/11 - 11:55 am
jurors in this case are

jurors in this case are saying that if they could have the case today, they would not find him guilty, because there is no evidence.

Rather
Rather 09/18/11 - 11:55 am
Respect, because he is an

Respect, because he is an ex-president? Contempt is more like it - for Carter and Obama - our worst Presidents.

harley_52
harley_52 09/18/11 - 11:59 am
It's the way of the left,

It's the way of the left, isn't it? Squelch free speech with intimidation and threats of involving big government.

I've seen nothing wrong with any posts in here on this issue other than that threat to involve the "CIA," which BTW demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of the federal government's role in protecting former Presidents.

happychimer
happychimer 09/18/11 - 12:00 pm
HomeinHarlem good for you. I

HomeinHarlem good for you. I will do the same if I see a threat too.

HomeinHarlem
HomeinHarlem 09/18/11 - 12:06 pm
Nice pic, rather. Shame

Nice pic, rather. Shame about the comment. Would you say the same about a soldier that wasn't anything more than a cook or tank tread scrubber? I happen to feel that whoever serves our country honorably deserves respect. Civilian or not. You might not have liked Carter or Obama, but they had the toughest job in the country, and they sacrificed their private lives to try to make ours better.

happychimer
happychimer 09/18/11 - 12:08 pm
I will report the one I now

I will report the one I now see.

billyjones1949
billyjones1949 09/18/11 - 12:11 pm
My are some touchy today.

My are some touchy today.