Meteorologist's departure is unfair

I am writing to express my feelings toward television station WJBF and associates for failing to renew meteorologist Matt Monroe’s contract.

I have watched Channel 6 news and weather for many years, and have enjoyed Matt’s knowledge and personality from upcoming dangerous storms to throwing the Slinky at the camera for the kids. I am disheartened at the way the company dismissed an employee of 14 years of dedication and service.

I read Matt’s Facebook letter and came away with such an empty feeling of his being unappreciated, WJBF’s total disregard of team support and a complete lack of compassion toward an employee and friend.

Robin Usry

Gibson

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 09/01/11 - 10:18 pm
Why do all the good ones

Why do all the good ones leave?

ECDanes
ECDanes 09/01/11 - 10:20 pm
I stopped watching them long

I stopped watching them long before this incident. When it comes to breaking news they are always a day late and a dollar short.They seem to be more in the business of suppressing the news than reporting it.

Vito45
Vito45 09/01/11 - 11:47 pm
Unfair? Why is that? People

Unfair? Why is that? People work at the pleasure of the employer, and if that person is not a fit, then goodbye. If Matt is all that and a bag of chips he will probbaly look back and thank them for providing him an opportunity to better himself. If they erred , it was their loss and will pay the price for the error in judgement.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 09/02/11 - 05:09 am
You could just as easily be

You could just as easily be speaking of Atlanta fixture Paul Ossman, whose contract with WXIA was allowed to lapse without renewal so that he could be replaced by some guy from Arkansas.

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/02/11 - 07:07 am
"50% chance of rain today".

"50% chance of rain today". You're hired.

allhans
allhans 09/02/11 - 08:20 am
I guess I haven't yet heard

I guess I haven't yet heard the "rest of the story". I have no idea what all the fuss is about.
Now, the anchors on local stations I find are rather boring, we could stand some new blood all around.

fd1962
fd1962 09/02/11 - 09:01 am
The whole weather industry

The whole weather industry and the industry created to self-promote it is sickening anyhow. Already have too many so-called 'experts' for the guesswork involved. What a joke. It's only about filling the space between commercials.

Chillen
Chillen 09/02/11 - 10:43 am
That's the business world for

That's the business world for you. Most companies have no loyalty to their employees. Additionally, most employees have no loyalty to the business they work for. There are exceptions but they are rare.

Vito45
Vito45 09/02/11 - 11:22 am
You are correct Chillen; the

You are correct Chillen; the committed employee is rare, and a company committed to employees even rarer. Businesses struggle today to hire and retain skilled employees. They job hop at the drop of a hat, and when you are in a business that takes a year or two of experience and training to get a new person fully up to speed, it is very painful to have turnover.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 09/02/11 - 11:53 am
Yawn. He will find another

Yawn. He will find another job somewhere else. If they don't want him, then why would he want to continue working there. Our local news media has already proven to be unreliable and pick and chose the stories that they want us to hear- usually with THEIR spin on the news. Unfortunately we have to depend on them for our local news- outside of that I watch/read the main news channels- merge their stories and divide between them to get the real story. CNN gives the views from the left... FOX gives their views from space aliens.. MSNBC is somewhere in the middle. My weather comes from TWC and seems to be just as dependable as the locals- if not better. The only problem with our local weather is Augusta in unpredictable. We apparently have a huge hole in the ozone over us that keeps people's brains fried, good weather systems from coming through. Augusta's seclusion from big-time cities just keeps us locked in a backwards society as well. If I weren't a native of the area I would have never come back.

follower 09/02/11 - 01:35 pm
The letter writer has formed

The letter writer has formed an opinion based on partial information. WJBF is a fine station, and like most employers, will not make a statement in defense for fear of a litigious society.

There is more to the story, and Matt is not without blame. He's well aware of the stance his former employer would take, giving him the ability to fire shots without fear of reprisal.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/02/11 - 03:40 pm
What is it about someone in

What is it about someone in the local media, even a part-time weather man, that has others involved? He appears to be a nice guy, but, folks, you don't really know him. That's company business and firings happen everyday. It's like everyone is intruding in a family fight we know nothing about.

southern2
southern2 09/02/11 - 04:38 pm
Maybe Matt was released

Maybe Matt was released because he is a WHAM...white, heterosexual, American, male. This group has been gutted in order to create a more DIVERSE work place. Could this also be a contributor to the US economic disaster?

dizzy dictator
dizzy dictator 09/02/11 - 07:42 pm
I think what is really

I think what is really getting to people including myself is why in the world do you let someone go who can tell the weather without messing it up...who can speak without stuttering and is very calm and took his job seriously. He was always very professional and informative. When people talk and mess up constantly in any area of the media, who in the world wants to listen to the story, its already been lost. I truly believe that Matt Monroe would be better off without WJBF because he is so far above the rest of the people still working at the station. Nobody is safe these days and one thing is true this move won't help your ratings which will be the consequences of your decision. Good luck with that!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/02/11 - 07:58 pm
dizzy dictator wroe: I truly

dizzy dictator wroe:

I agree with dizzy.

SGT49
SGT49 09/03/11 - 12:14 am
I might remind you that the

I might remind you that the television business is the entertainment and advertising business. Ratings is the name of the game. To compete, you have to get the ratings. Mr. Monroe seems to be a rather nice fellow. A little bland, but nice. Channel 6 has been losing market share--ratings, to channel 12. Look at the competition. Tim and Lindsey are young and fun. Compare them with Matt and Mary. Good luck to Mr. Monroe, wherever he lands. This is the profession he chose, with all it's rewards and risks.

southernguy08
southernguy08 09/03/11 - 09:10 am
Good post, SGT. While I wish

Good post, SGT. While I wish Matt hadn't been released, TV is a business, and one where you have to bring in the numbers, or you're gone. He and others in TV understand this when they enter it...or at least, they should understand. Good luck to you, Matt. My guess is, you'll be moving up to better things.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/03/11 - 11:20 am
I'd hire that homeless guy

I'd hire that homeless guy with the golden voice. He beats anyone in local radio-TV.

Local merchants welcome Small Business Saturday

With having to compete with e-commerce and national retailers during the holiday season, local merchants welcome the spotlight that comes with Small Business Saturday.