Help save our nation by buying American

Kudos to Emille Bowles on her recent letter to The Augusta Chronicle (“Send message to dysfunctional government,” Aug. 18).

Somehow I was made aware that the month of August was to be dedicated to buying American-made products. This month I have not found anything except food products made in the United States. I have shopped quite a bit because I am getting ready to take a trip across this beautiful country. Thank God and the troops I can do that.

I remember when – and, yes, I am that old – Wal-Mart originated its motto “We buy American.” I challenge you to find something there – or any other retail store – now made in the United States. Try to find a light bulb, a pair of shoes or an American flag.

The medicine I take I can buy via mail from Canada for less than half they charge here. Why?

These are some of the reasons our country is failing. Part of the solution is to bring industry and God back into our lives. “Government,” believe it or not, is us. We can take back our country, but only if we care enough. Will it take another disaster like Sept. 11, 2001, to wake us up?

Our troops fight every day so we can work, play or sit on our keisters in this great country. Make their efforts worthwhile. Buy American. Vote, and pray for this country!

copperhead
copperhead 08/31/11 - 05:05 am
There are no "American made"

There are no "American made" products to buy! One (1) shoe factory,a few gun makers,and a few knife makers. Our government has allowed mexico,china,and korea to corner our markets on manufacturing PLUS they hold the title to the U.S. I guess it's a good thing that mexicans will be granted voters rights

carcraft
carcraft 08/31/11 - 05:52 am
Watched an interesting

Watched an interesting segment on jobs in America on Fox News. There are actually a lot of manufacturing in the US. Drive on Georgia 56 and smell the aroma Kimberly Clark, etc. The problem for US manufactures now is skilled technical workers like tool and dei makers etc. Jobs in highly technical production fields are in need of skilled workers.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 08/31/11 - 07:24 am
Would that we could "put God

Would that we could "put God back" into the corporate board room, where these problems really began, but I don't think anyone's faith is that strong at this point. It also doesn't help when the supposedly evangelical-friendly candidates are the same ones who want to further enable and reward corporate greed and malfeasance.

Swampman
Swampman 08/31/11 - 07:29 am
Hey, here's an idea for

Hey, here's an idea for "saving" our "failing" nation: let's start by rejecting the absolutely preposterous idea that this great nation is failing! Being buffeted by global economic forces does not equate to failure. The United States of America remains an extraordinary civilization and truly great nation, despite the ups and downs.

And for the record, the outsourcing of so many manufacturing jobs to other countries accelerated when our government, at the behest of those "job creators" the right keeps bloviating about and over the objections of American labor, struck down most every "protectionist" law in the book in the name of "free trade". Corporate officers made consequently made calculated decisions to relocate those manufacturing facilities in the interests of their profits and without regard to the impact on the American job market.

Simultaneously, these same champions of the "job creators" deregulated the banking industry and set the stage for the wildcat financial speculation that helped fuel gross distortions in real estate values that, when the bubble burst, dealt our economy a staggering blow.

Stop blaming our government for our problems without blaming the "job creators" who deliberately eliminated American jobs and ripped holes in the fabric of our economy.

Taylor B
Taylor B 08/31/11 - 07:52 am
I hope my Volkswagen and Audi

I hope my Volkswagen and Audi customers skip this letter, or this American will lose his job.

omnomnom
omnomnom 08/31/11 - 08:59 am
i would like to encourage

i would like to encourage people to "buy american" with an investment in harrisburg.

crkgrdn
crkgrdn 08/31/11 - 08:59 am
Buy American? I have a Jeep

Buy American? I have a Jeep Wrangler Renegade. Made in America? Wrong. My Jeep is assembled from parts manufactured all over the world. The drive train is manufactured by Mercedes.

So what is the solution? Begin by reducing taxes on corporations and follow up by cutting federal spending and taxes. People will have more money to spend, demand for goods and services will increase, followed by business expansion, followed by more jobs followed by an increase in revenue.

This not nonsense. This remedy is supported by economic history. Don't take my word for it, look for yourself.

soldout
soldout 08/31/11 - 09:24 am
jon lester has the right

jon lester has the right answer. Every problem mentioned is fixed if we were a more Christian nation with high morals. Real Christians can't be bought and don't treat people badly. Real Christians don't promote sin and call it normal. Real Christians pray when storms are coming and they do in public and proudly. Christ spoke to the storm and we were told do the same thing. We were told we could do greater works. Our country sows rotten seeds and expect a healthy crop. God would give leaders wisdom to fix the financial mess if they had a relationship with Him. This "get God out of everything" approach hasn't worked out too well so far. The individual Christian will be shown answers for their financies, recovery from the storms, peace for their minds, health for their bodies while thousands will fall by their side. Best advice for the future for the non-Christian is to get lots of Christians friends quick or better still; become a Christian. No matter the question; Christ is the answer and He already loves you. He made His move towards you and the next step is up to you. Just try it; if it doesn't work out the devil will always take you back.

Chillen
Chillen 08/31/11 - 09:45 am
I'd love to buy only American

I'd love to buy only American products, but as the letter writer points out, they are hard to find. And even if you find them, many of the components are foreign made.

Reason for this? Government regulations, government taxes, government support of "free trade" and government encouragement of unions.

Are you all starting to get the picture about what is wrong in the USA? If not, I'll spell it out for you. Our government is out of control. The Government's "Gone Wild".

harley_52
22064
harley_52 08/31/11 - 09:47 am
There is one word to explain

There is one word to explain why people don't "buy American."

Government.

Government sets trade policy and tariffs for imports and exports and government establishes tax policy for manufacturing at home. Government also enables (or prevents) unions tying up industry segments with unreasonable, company busting demands for wages and benefits which discourage sales and ultimately drive companies out of business.

It's nothing more than a symbolic gesture to participate in one of these "buy American" campaigns because people have proven, over and over again, that quality, availability, and price (not necessarily in that order) determine which products they buy and which they don't buy.

harley_52
22064
harley_52 08/31/11 - 09:49 am
Hey Chillen, I hadn't seen

Hey Chillen, I hadn't seen your post when I typed mine. More proof we think alike.....

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/31/11 - 10:32 am
Yep.....that sucking sound is

Yep.....that sucking sound is loud & clear...sucking jobs away..

Many reasons for job loss----internet & computer have taken many jobs...just ask the post office workers..
robot cashiers---atms---all jobs sent away...even engineer jobs can be done in India----doctor skills are cheaper also..
Big corporations will squirrel $$$ in other countries as long as our laws allow that to happen.....
We need a NEW congress...a brand NEW congress....out with the old & in with the new....cpas instead of lawyers...

We have to stop fighting the racial war in the USA
If we don't work together we will go down together. IMO

bgthompson4
bgthompson4 08/31/11 - 02:23 pm
I recently purchased

I recently purchased something as a Christmas present from "Support our Troops" online. I was sure it would be something made in the USA. When I got it it was wrapped in a piece of newspaper in a foreign language. Go figure!

Taylor B
Taylor B 08/31/11 - 02:35 pm
Buy American made cars, like

Buy American made cars, like the Honda Accord, Kias, Hyundais, Mazda 6, VW Passat and Routan, BMW Z4, X3, X5. Not foreign ones, like the Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, Lincoln TownCar, Chevy Cobalt.

AnotherOneBitesTheDust
AnotherOneBitesTheDust 08/31/11 - 04:57 pm
Chillen, Harley, and Seen it;

Chillen, Harley, and Seen it; you hit the nail on the head