Time to clean up the Tea Party's mess

The recent congressional debacle brought on by the Republican and Tea Party doctrine that the government cannot raise revenue has brought this country to its economic knees.

The party of “no! no! no!” will not be satisfied until they have wiped out Social Security benefits and the new health-care benefits. The disintegration of the middle-class quality of life and an increase in the already enormous income gap between the rich and poor will be the result of their ideology.

Only last week, thousands of South Carolinians who could not afford health care were in lines winding outside a free health-care clinic. Hundreds were turned away when the free clinic ended after two days. Isn’t it ironic that South Carolina is the home of the biggest server of tea, U.S. Sen. Jim DeMint, who like his brethren doesn’t want to raise the revenue needed for health care even in his own state?

The downgrading of our financial rating has the Republican candidates crowing that it is President Obama’s fault. What short memories they have of the Republican president who refused to raise taxes but brought us two wars and an unneeded Part D of Medicare; lowered the tax rate of the rich; and borrowed all the money instead of raising it. The blame game goes two ways, but lands on the Republicans no matter how they deny it.

Let’s see if the new bipartisan committee established by the debt ceiling deal will do the job, which includes deep cuts to the Pentagon and the ending of Bush’s war. If you have your doubts, speak to Tea Partiers; they will make it clear that they won’t let it work.

The president tried his best, but was stained, as this country was, by the bitter tea that is being served on him and the rest of America. Removal of the stain will take much effort by Democratic and independent voters in the next election. It must be done!

Lowell Greenbaum

Augusta

(The writer is chairman of the Richmond County Democratic Party.)

Chillen
Chillen 08/10/11 - 01:27 pm
You all must listen to Gerald

You all must listen to Gerald Celente. He is not a Republican or a Democrat. He despises all of them. He has the solution. But the people need to listen to him.

Gerald also accurately predicted everything that is happening (2 years ago). The economy, the riots, the theft, everything. Uncanny.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/10/11 - 01:31 pm
Okay. If I am understanding

Okay. If I am understanding Lowell Greenbaum's next-to-last paragraph above, he is saying that the Tea Party Congresspeople and the Tea Party Senators are not going to let the bipartisan committee do its work. How did they get that kind of power so quickly? Perhaps Greenbaum thinks the Tea Party will kidnap the committee.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/10/11 - 01:34 pm
Lowell Greenbaum wrote: The

Lowell Greenbaum wrote:

The president tried his best. . . .

The president did indeed try his best. But his best is not good enough. Let's help him become a one-term president.

Vito45
Vito45 08/10/11 - 01:38 pm
Chillen, you are talking to

Chillen, you are talking to the deaf. All they can see is "soak the rich, they need to carry my sorry behind because I am too lazy to succeed on my own; I need to live off the sweat of others."
They are so blind with class envy they've not 1 clue as to how deep in trouble we are and what it will take to get us out of it. (if that is even possible)

allamr18
allamr18 08/10/11 - 02:10 pm
I would like for someone to

I would like for someone to expand on the spending problem that exists and when it started? And if it started with President Obama what has he spent money on in his 2 year presidency?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/10/11 - 02:19 pm
What has Obama spent money

What has Obama spent money on? Well, for starters, bailing out banks & wall street fat cats. Then bailing out GM and Chrysler. He sent stimulus money to pay public school teacher salaries. He spent money on Cash for Clunkers. He spent money to give loan guarantees to build nuclear power plants. He spent money on junkets to lavish places all over the world. He spent money on his golf game. But if all he spent money on had been "Race to the Top," it would be bad enough to deny him a second term.

allhans
allhans 08/10/11 - 02:38 pm
Those defending the lazy

Those defending the lazy folks living off welfare will find that the load is so heavy the bottom is falling out of the welfare pot and it doesn't matter which party is in office, if steps are not taken to stop the excessive spending, they will find the pot is dry.

allhans
allhans 08/10/11 - 02:40 pm
allamr The excessive

allamr The excessive spending didn't start with Obama but it sure has grown.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 08/10/11 - 02:48 pm
We had no idea we had taken

We had no idea we had taken complete control of the US givernment so quickly. Lowell, try some decafe...

rrcrew
rrcrew 08/10/11 - 03:00 pm
I urge EVERYONE to watch the

I urge EVERYONE to watch the video on the link below. This man says what I bet almost everybody, except comrade Greenbaum, have thought for ages. It is a POWERFUL video

rrcrew
rrcrew 08/10/11 - 03:06 pm
Sorry for the duplicate

Sorry for the duplicate posts. It didn't look like it was accepted the first time (took more than 3 minutes to appear), so I posted it again. Sorry about that

CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 08/10/11 - 03:35 pm
Thank you Mr. Greenbaum. I

Thank you Mr. Greenbaum. I needed a laugh today and you obliged. You truly missed your calling as a comedy writer.

hounddog
hounddog 08/10/11 - 04:21 pm
rrcrew, great video thanks

rrcrew, great video thanks for sharing it.

eagle
eagle 08/10/11 - 04:50 pm
Mr. Greenbaum has to blame

Mr. Greenbaum has to blame someone else besides his party or Obama. After all, he wants to keep his job.

willie7
willie7 08/10/11 - 04:59 pm
Chillen and justthefacts,

Chillen and justthefacts, everybody talks about spending problems---Now, what presently budget items would you cut?
Please name your cuts and the percent of the budget.
Over the last 31 years, we have reduced revenue and expanded spending.Defense, Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are the biggest items in the budget and citizens don't want to cut these items.
Name your cuts1111

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/10/11 - 05:05 pm
democrats are the party who

democrats are the party who brought you welfare, voter gerrymandering, no accountability to welfare mothers and users, parasites who drain the tax coffers and vote for the enablers who hand out MY money. If a person wants steak, go out and earn it. Don't use MY HARD-EARNED money. You want better housing? Go out and get a job. Want a 60 in. flat-screen t.v.? Go get a job. Want 22 in. rims for your hoopty? Go get a job. Want your kids to go to U. Ga.? Make them go to school, study and get a job. "Mr. Greenbaum", I enjoy your stand-up comedy routine!

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/10/11 - 05:35 pm
I didn't read the letter. I

I didn't read the letter. I read the headline, went straight to the author, saw it was Lowell Greenbaum, and realized it would be a waste of time to read it. If he wrote it, I'm not interested in reading it.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 08/10/11 - 05:52 pm
I might be laughed out of

I might be laughed out of town with this question, but I sure would like to ask it. What about the gold we have in Fort Knox? ALL that gold that just sits there - isn't doing anything. (If it is really there - do we know for sure?)
If I am in debt over my head I utilize all I have to get out of it - what good does the gold in my basement do me if I can't use it and my family slowly starves to death.
Is there a law that says that those riches at Fort Knox have to stay there forever, no matter what happens to our country?
If I spend what I have to stay alive - I can start over and start saving and not make the same mistake again.
If I am dumb asking this question - who can educate me on this??? Please?

follower 08/10/11 - 05:53 pm
I'm still holding out hope

I'm still holding out hope that every 30 days or so, fiscally conservative posters will just "NOT" respond to the predictable Greenbaum drivel. The page clicks drive up the numbers for the Chronicle, and we're helping to ensure he'll be printed next month.

Let the liberals applaud Greenbaum every month, but with no one to debate, it'll get boring quickly.

I should have posted this in the morning.

Bruno
Bruno 08/10/11 - 05:56 pm
Obama has been President long

Obama has been President long enough for these issues to be his. He needs to own it. Mr. Greenbaum is nothing more than an apologist for the failures of Obama. Maybe if Obama would stop campaigning for a while and show some leadership we could right this mess.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/10/11 - 05:59 pm
willie, check out Paul Ryan's

willie, check out Paul Ryan's budget proposal. We can start with that.

GaStang22
GaStang22 08/10/11 - 06:06 pm
Dang, I should have looked at

Dang, I should have looked at the letter writer before I read this ignorant article. Could have saved myself 5 minutes.

rrcrew
rrcrew 08/10/11 - 06:07 pm
willie7, you want to know

willie7, you want to know what to cut? Let's start with the Department of Education, which is just a teachers' union tool and does not educate anyone. Then let's move on to the Department of Energy, which does absolutely nothing but provide a bureaucratic nightmare for the energy industry. Then Planned Parenthood, NPR, the absurd Obama-care health plan that will cost the taxpayers BILLIONS of dollars and end up doing nothing to increase healthcare overall for the people in this country. Get rid of all the "czars" that Obama appointed with no congressional approval, but who soak us for millions of dollars. Finally, reduce (and get rid of the automatic increases) congressional salaries, eliminate completely congressional pensions and let them use Social Security and privately funded pensions like the rest of us, and if we are forced to have Obama-care, then make them have it too. That's just a drop in the bucket of what could and should be cut IMMEDIATELY !!!

Vito45
Vito45 08/10/11 - 06:09 pm
Willie, I will jump in.

Willie, I will jump in. EVERYTHING needs an across the board freeze (a cut in a Democrat's mind) until the ship begins to get righted. Means test the Medicare drug program or just rescind it altogether. Start TODAY with SS reform. When that program was started life expectancy was only a few years beyond the age you could collect, but now it is double that or more. Gradually increase the age one can collect, it is just too easy. Don't have a specific cutoff; for every year one is away from full benefits, add a month. If someone is 55, they will have to be 65 + 10 months before they can collect. If they are 45 they will have to be 65 + 20 months and so on. That is fair to all and raises the age to 70 for someone who is now 5 years old. If you are already collecting, nothing changes. If SS continues to suffer, up it to 45 days added per year to retirement. Cut Medicaid by disincentivising people to go to the emergency room for treatment. Force them to make a nominal co-payment for ER treatment even if it gets deducted form their welfare payment. Medicaid costs would plummet if ER visits were cut out and those cases seen at a day clinic. Implement Lean Six Sigma principles throughout government; it would save trillions in new efficiencies and redundancy elimination. Privatize more government functions that can be. Let free market pressures drive costs down. I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture; both Democrats and Republicans need to find the guts to do the right thing, and people on the teat need to realize the milk is running dry for EVERYBODY, and they will wind up starving too if they are not willing to share the pain.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 08/10/11 - 06:39 pm
I agree with Greenbaum. It's

I agree with Greenbaum. It's time to clean up the mess of The Tea Party, right after the mess of the Deomocrats is cleaned up. I also agree with him that HIS taxes should be doubled. That should fix it all.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 08/10/11 - 07:38 pm
Lowell may live on Fantasy

Lowell may live on Fantasy Island but the rest of us live in the USA.

Like the Tea Party or not...

THEY did not create this mess, it was BOTH parties in Congress along with major overspending under Bush and the complete and blatent out of control spending under Obama (more in 2 years than Bush in 8 years).

The Tea Party simply wants to CUT Spending.

The Tea Party does not believe in raising taxes but does believe in cutting ALL TAX LOOPHOLES for big business which can be acheived with the Fair Tax very easily - Any other way you look at it is dishonest - they ARE trying to close loopholes for the rich and corporate america but at the same time believe that those who already pay 80% of all federal taxes paid are in fact paying their fair share at this time.

The tea party is trying to solve major problems created primarily by a democratically controlled congress....Out of Control Spending.

The Tea Party TRIED to follow the recomendations of the ratings companies which said we needed to cut spending by more than double what was agreed upon....AND, even then MANY democrats would not vote for the compromise because they don't want any cuts.

Anyone from either party knows the tea party did not cause this mess and their views (stop spending what we don't have) are the views of a large majority (72%) of the American Public....many may not agree where to make the cuts, etc. but the majority knows and agrees it must be done.

southernguy08
southernguy08 08/10/11 - 07:44 pm
Thanks Lowell...I haven't

Thanks Lowell...I haven't laughed so much in months. Gee, hope that didn't offend anyone.

KSL
KSL 08/10/11 - 07:57 pm
This just goes to show how

This just goes to show how stupid the liberal leaders think the general public is. I know their education system is aimed at dumbing down Americans, but we aren't completely there yet. And they don't realize to what extent there are people who still think for themselves and want the freedom to care for themselves without government excessive interference. The sheeple should be angry that their own party so disrespects them and their intelligence and ability to think for themselves. Or are they just so lazy that they are so easily and cheaply bought?

FalseHopeLooseChange
FalseHopeLooseChange 08/10/11 - 08:03 pm
TW- re your comment about the

TW- re your comment about the U.S. selling it's gold to pay down some debt/bills -- which is what many folks are doing these days I guess...

There's reportedly 4,600 TONS of gold in Fort Knox. Another 3,400 TONS of gold is allegedly stored in various Federal Reserve Banks around the country. I would assume we're saving the gold for the same reason we're saving the huge deposits of oil in America and off . shore.....Canada has bounced back from their 90's credit downgrade by opening up and selling their oil -- go figure who Mexico and Canada sells a lot of their oil to.

I also heard a person on a business channel state we couldn't sell the gold reserves for fair market price because of a 'law' that limits/prohibits selling U.S. gold reserves for $42.00 a troy ounce. Would not surprise me based on the competency of our leaders since the U.S. came off the
gold standard...Unable to confirm this one.

Why doesn't America just drill for that 'evil' oil in the ground and sell it to China, India and anyone willing to buy it, using the oil money, and associated royalties to pay down the debt? Put hundreds of thousands to work, set up a real lock box to deposit oil profits/royalties in, and pay down the d@mn debt!!!!

Unless Greenbaum and the 'Environmental terrorists' objects to drilling and selling American oil that is. ..

KSL
KSL 08/10/11 - 08:09 pm
FHLC, you are making way too

FHLC, you are making way too much sense. It seems like the powers that be want to "take advantage of a"manufactured "crisis."

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms