Public's guilty verdict grossly unfair

Most people don't seem to care to understand that when you are on trial for something, you are one person with a hopefully good lawyer fighting an enormous, aggressive legal system with unlimited financial resources.

Add to that legal Mount Everest the emergence of charismatic, recklessly relentless, prosecutorial character assassins such as Nancy Grace with unlimited resources to "examine" your case before a worldwide audience 24 hours a day -- turning a majority of public opinion against you, making it increasingly difficult to find people for juries that don't hang on Grace's every precious word.

Then it's a miracle Casey Anthony isn't currently appealing a death sentence. She does have to live in hiding, though, doesn't she?

Is Casey Anthony guilty? All I care about is the actual legal verdict. She was kept in prison for three years while prosecutors were unable to find enough evidence to convict her. But the seemingly ever-rising public affection for people such as Nancy Grace convicting people night after night on television, rather than letting our actual legal system handle it, bothers me.

I can envision a day where I might be sitting in a prison cell, an officer steps in tells me I've been convicted without one of those needless trial thingies simply because Nancy Grace is convinced I'm guilty -- and who could possibly need more than her honest opinion?

Everyone thinks wrongful convictions are the worst, such as a person released after 20 mistaken years in prison. Yet the Casey Anthony trial is glaring, ironic evidence that a determined broadcaster can get anyone convicted -- if not actually, then at least in the public's mind.

How little so many seem to care how deathly wrong this phenomenon is and could be -- that is, until Ms. Grace's little light gets turned onto them.

avidreader
avidreader 07/23/11 - 05:36 am
Excellent! My wife refers to

Excellent! My wife refers to her as "Nasty" Grace. I refuse to watch her on TV anymore. It is extremely apparent that she considers her ratings to be more important than her dignity.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 07/23/11 - 05:48 am
"...an aggressive legal

"...an aggressive legal system with unlimited financial resources." Huh? That'll be news to My Cuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

southernguy08
southernguy08 07/23/11 - 06:25 am
Well, I'm sure its all George

Well, I'm sure its all George Bush's fault...right Nate? Everything bad in the world is.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 07/23/11 - 06:57 am
Watching Casey Anthony in the

Watching Casey Anthony in the newsclips, it was easy to dislike her, and her body language indicated guilt about SOMETHING. But that is not sufficient in a court of law to prove murder. The evidence presented proved she was guilty of lying, and thankfully they had charged her with that. It also showed she was complicit in concealing a death, but unfortunately, they hadn't charged her with that. The evidence did NOT prove that she committed murder. It didn't even prove a murder had been committed, only that the child had died and there was reasonable doubt that it could have been an accident that was covered up by someone, maybe more than one. Even though the duct tape made it appear that a murder MIGHT have been committed, it was not proved by the evidence. If the court system found her not guilty, that is what we must abide by and LEAVE HER ALONE. We don't have to like her or associate with her, or buy a book by or about her, or watch a movie about her, but if anyone wreaks vigilante justice on her, he or she makes a mockery of our court system and laws. That person would now be a criminal, too. That is how evil spreads. There is a chance that baby died in an accident just like she said and she did cover it up. Grief can make people, especially unstable people, do weird things. She is either crazy, nuts, or crazy, like a fox. (BTW, she looks feral, wolf-like, and casts some evil glances, I don't understand why so many people think she is pretty). Either way, I wouldn't want her to be anywhere around me. Who could ever trust her with anyone or any responsibility?

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 07/23/11 - 08:33 am
Free orange juice, just cause

Free orange juice, just cause he murdered 2 white people and threatened more in Vegas doesn't mean he should be incarcerated. The Cocharan team can "prove" that a murdering scum should run among us (the unwashed). anthony, follow simpson's rule of thumb:check all golf courses or in your case, boutiques, for the "real" killer scum.

allhans
allhans 07/23/11 - 09:02 am
First, let me say, I don't

First, let me say, I don't and never have watched Nancy Grace. My opinions are my own.
If some folks want to say that a woman that leaves her home with her 2 year old and then for weeks made excuses/lied for the whereabouts of the child , then weeks later the child is reported missing (by the Grandmother, not the so-called mother, then later found dead, thinks this woman is not responsible has a different set of moral codes than I have.
Poor little child, shame on her worthless "mother".
NObody influenced my thoughts,these are strictly my own.

dougk
dougk 07/23/11 - 10:16 am
Nancy Grace is a public

Nancy Grace is a public menace.

mable8
mable8 07/23/11 - 10:30 am
Nathan Kirby: The public has

Nathan Kirby: The public has EVERY RIGHT to condemn a rogue jury, which was the case in the verdict for Casey Anthony. The jury failed to follow the judge's instructions, failed to review the evidence, testimony, or photos, failed in requesting the judge's clarification on issues they admitted they did not understand, and erroneously considered punishment as a reason for their verdict--which they were NOT supposed to do. And, by their own admission, believed Casey Anthony was actually guilty. It is unfair to castigate the public for expressing their anger at a jury that failed to follow the law. The public should be commended for being astute enough to discern that the "letter of the law" was NOT followed where this jury is concerned. Furthermore, the authorities and pundits should recognize and publicize the fact that rogue juries DO exist--does OJ ring a bell?

Bruno
Bruno 07/23/11 - 10:45 am
This wasn't a case of a

This wasn't a case of a "rogue jury". This was a case of a prosecutor over reaching the evidence. The defense team was a bumbling mess and if it weren't for the prosecution attempting to grab the brass ring they could have probably convicted her on negligent homicide. All that aside, she has been found innocent by the court and should be treated as such by the public whether or not you agree with the verdict.

Bruno
Bruno 07/23/11 - 10:47 am
As to Nancy Grace, she isn't

As to Nancy Grace, she isn't the cleanest slate in the world. She was charged with prosecutoral misconduct while here in Ga. .... and she is a harpy.

allhans
allhans 07/23/11 - 11:16 am
I don't know why all the fuss

I don't know why all the fuss about Nancy Grace, even the MSM has made her out to be a menace or worse.

I don't know what kind of viewing audience she has or what her ratings are, I would guess they satisfy CNN or they wouldn't have her on) but don't give her more credit than she deserves. She just is not that important.

smartasugarsugar
smartasugarsugar 07/23/11 - 11:38 am
I Strongly believe that when

I Strongly believe that when a prosecutor goes to the extreme and finds someone guilty. and then get sent to jail that if they are acquitted, they should have to do the same amount of time. i mean if your so convinced that john/jane doe are guilty then you should be willing to take the risk. if your wrong you do the time.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 07/23/11 - 01:56 pm
If a defense attorney is so

If a defense attorney is so convinced his client is innocent, he/she should be required to house the defendant in his/her home until the outcome of the proceedings.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/23/11 - 05:47 pm
"The jury failed to follow

"The jury failed to follow the judge's instructions, failed to review the evidence, testimony, or photos, failed in requesting the judge's clarification on issues they admitted they did not understand, and erroneously considered punishment as a reason for their verdict--which they were NOT supposed to do."

Curious, is there documentation or news articles that state this? How would you know this to be a fact? Where you sitting in the court room or where you on the jury? I'm just asking.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 07/23/11 - 08:07 pm
Say what you you like, but I

Say what you you like, but I for one could care less about Casey Anthony. Just the fact that she didn't report her little girl missing for 30 days and continued the party life during that time is enough in my eyes for the death penalty. Shouldn't THAT be considered negligence, child endangerment by NOT reporting her missing??

wbbh
wbbh 07/24/11 - 07:29 am
What is worse than Nancy

What is worse than Nancy Grace? Someone deciding you are not allowed to listen to Nancy Grace.

Students train to be first-responders

It might seem very intense for a training scenario, but the instructors of A.R. Johnson's Teen Community Emergency Response Class believe stress and realism are the best teachers.