I'm finally ashamed to be an American

During my first European tour as part of my graduate work, my friends and I were waiting at Orly Airport in Paris to board our plane. A French woman whose English was excellent said loudly enough for us to hear, "Americans are very, very rich, but they are very, very stupid."

I was outraged and appalled. However, I have learned several lessons in the years since my first trip to Europe. Any American criticism of French rudeness is hypocritical. Americans far surpass the French and many other nations in their lack of manners and civility.

And I agree with the French woman that Americans are very, very stupid. Why?

Look at what has happened in the Hollywood establishment. Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony are divorcing. Charlie Sheen could be back on a television series. Sheen, Ms. Lopez and her soon-to-be ex-husband are the basis for the perception of what Americans are all about for many people in other countries.

Charlie Sheen's behavior is unconscionable. Neither he nor Ms. Lopez and Mr. Anthony nor many others in the entertainment industry can hold a relationship together. Behave appropriately with good taste, ethically and morally, or respect the fans who gave them fortune and fame. These kinds of behaviors are the norm in the Hollywood establishment. What arrogance!

What is more appalling is the passive indifference and stupidity of the American people who put up with this kind of behavior without protest -- especially when their children often look up to these people as role models. Even those youngsters who do not see these celebrities as role models think that, because the celebrities get away with the behaviors, so can they.

And Americans have put up with the corruption of the government for years. Watch what happens in France when the government does what the people dislike. The French are out in the streets protesting.

Do Americans care so little? Or do they not understand what is at risk -- not only their lives and freedoms, but the lives and freedoms of their children and grandchildren?

For the first time in my life, I am ashamed to be an American. For those of you who would say "love it or leave it," you might consider leaving the country since so many of you are sitting on your behinds not doing anything about the country's problems except complaining. You have your heads in the sand and refuse to believe that there are solutions for the problems in our country.

Americans need to get to work, make the government responsible and get the job done! Do the right thing.

Chillen
Chillen 07/22/11 - 11:33 am
wordwright. Your comment

wordwright. Your comment reminds me of a bowing obama on his apology tour.

I have been to France. Three times to be exact. I can say that all 3 times I encountered (mostly) the rudest, nastiest people. In Paris and in Southern France. No wonder Americans are rude there. It's in retaliation to the poor treatment. Which I believe is due to jealousy due to our exceptionalism (that obama and his ilk are trying to destroy).

I have visited about 30 other countries throughout my life (in Europe, Africa, Central & South America). I have been in every state in the United States except 2. The rudest people in the world are in France (with Quebec coming in a close second). Hands down no exception.

Thats not to say that the USA has no rude people or no people who are horribly embarrasing. We do. But generally we treat our visitors & others with respect.

GaStang22
GaStang22 07/22/11 - 11:33 am
Had this been an article

Had this been an article about being ashamed Americans are letting the Democrats in government and the bleeding hearts run this country into the ground, which is why a lot of people here are so rude and stupid, I'd have been on board. I agree we need to stop it, and those who think there aren't problems with what's going on, are very, very stupid, I agree. But really Sheen and Lopez???? With whats going on in our government and crime?? WTHC!!!!! 3 paragraphs about Lopez and Sheen, 3 sentences about something that really matters. You should be ashamed!!! lol With that being said, even with all that is wrong with our country, unlike Mrs. Obama...I'll always be PROUD to be an AMERICAN!!!!!

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 07/22/11 - 12:03 pm
What someone else does brings

What someone else does brings no shame on me. I am proud to be an American; an American who loves God. Freed from guilt, shame and bondage.

Vito45
Vito45 07/22/11 - 12:29 pm
The writer is absolutely

rmajor
rmajor 07/22/11 - 12:42 pm
Celebrities? Really? I

Celebrities? Really? I thought there would be more substance to support this point of view...but not so much. I love America and because of our freedom, that our armed forces fight for, I do think we take many things for granted. However, this freedom also allows us to protest, speak our minds, blog as we are all doing now, go to a court of law for any injustice, raise our children in a public or private system or even homeschool (as I do my son.) Question? Since the throws of the Civil War...until now....what do you think Americans have done and how has the country changed? To say "a lot" is an understatement. "I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free, and I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me and I'll gladly stand up, next to him (her) and defend her still today, cause there is no doubt I love this land...God bless the USA!" So there.

burninater
burninater 07/22/11 - 12:51 pm
Marc Anthony? When did the

Marc Anthony? When did the Romans get involved? I guess I shouldn't have stopped watching cable 22 years ago ...

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 07/22/11 - 01:25 pm
LIKE button on rmajor.

LIKE button on rmajor.

harley_52
harley_52 07/22/11 - 01:56 pm
Chillen...my experience in

Chillen...my experience in visiting France was the same as yours. As a matter of fact, we've both traveled fairly extensively both here and abroad. If you were in the military, you've probably not just visited, but actually lived in other countries which provided you the "opportunity" to gain insights into the people and the culture far greater than those who have just hit the tourist hot spots.

No greater Country than the USA has ever existed. I hope she survives the current crew in power in spite of their best efforts to destroy her.

wordwright
wordwright 07/22/11 - 02:00 pm
So no one has a problem with

harley_52
harley_52 07/22/11 - 02:03 pm
vito45 says..."The writer is

vito45 says..."The writer is absolutely correct about celebrity worship in the U.S. More people know who got voted off "fill in the blank for your favorite stupid reality show" than know who their elected representatives are."

I think Ms. Antonacci is right about most things she says. I can easily imagine hearing a French woman loudly making such a proclamation about Americans because I've actually heard the same kind of things from the French in person. I'd say the if there's anybody the French dislike worse than Americans it's the Germans. But the truth is that the French don't like anybody very much.

There's actually only one sentence in Ms. Antonacci's letter that gets her in trouble. Of course it's "For the first time in my life, I am ashamed to be an American." And as I said earlier, I think she really means she's ashamed of some Americans, not America as an institution, but I could certainly be wrong.

harley_52
harley_52 07/22/11 - 02:07 pm
***So no one has a problem

***So no one has a problem with corporations paying to craft and influence legislation?***

Only if it's done "under the table." If a politician is for sale, I want to observe the transaction.

Chillen
Chillen 07/22/11 - 02:47 pm
If it's a politician for

If it's a politician for sale, the transaction should be illegal & result in jail time. I'm sick of the lobbying, pay-offs, insider trading & financial gain for our political "elite".

Its no surprise that members of congress are being investigated for getting unusually high rates of returns on their stocks (yet mysteriously they can't seem to balance a budget). Insider information. Something Martha Stewart went to jail for.

Its no surprise that when an individual enters Congress they typically leave 10-fold more wealthy than when they arrived.

From 2004 to 2008:
41 Democrats Net Worth increased by 756% (no, I did not leave out a decimal)
39 Republicans Net Worth increased by 168%

Crooks. 99% of them.

harley_52
harley_52 07/22/11 - 03:04 pm
I think the percentage that

I think the percentage that are crooks may well approach 99, but that's because we let them do it.

From your figures, it appears democrats are far better at it than Republicans and that tells you something right there.

Just my two cents....

Our current President promised honesty, an end to lobbyists, an end to "revolving doors," openness in the legislative process, an end to partisanship, and 3 days of public review before he signed any bills.

You can't take money out of politics, but you can make politicians publicly announce and identify their donors so everyone can see who's on "the take."

harley_52
harley_52 07/22/11 - 03:06 pm
Why would the democrats be

Why would the democrats be against a balanced budget amendment? Doesn't that mean they really want to spend more than they take in?

Just asking.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 07/22/11 - 05:10 pm
You will recall, a British

You will recall, a British army under General Cornwallis numbering 7,157 men were defending the field at Yorktown, Virginia and they were beset by 9,000 Americans and the French army and navy on the scene numbered over 25,000 men. General Cornwallis surrendered on October 19, 1781 and the surrender sword was first offered to the French who were perhaps the most responsible for his defeat. But the French in good manners declined and the sword was presented to the Americans.

I was at the Yorktown battlefield monument some years ago and a British lady waked around it, read the inscription and said, "No wonder you lot won."

Viva la France! And the British knew when to quit too. Can't say Americans are that smart about wars.

harley_52
harley_52 07/22/11 - 05:50 pm
***Can't say Americans are

***Can't say Americans are that smart about wars.***

Americans used to be pretty "smart about wars," at least until the late sixties when the democrat party took a hard turn to the left and started getting in the way. You can thank the democrats for the ignoble exit from Vietnam, and our inability to actually "win" a war ever since. It's not really that we're not "smart" about wars so much as it's that we've chosen to deploy the military into wars we haven't the guts, as a society, to win. We'll continue to slink home from Iraq and Afghanistan with our National tail between our legs and leave the islamist terrorists free reign to slaughter the citizenry while enjoying the infrastructure we were nice enough to build for them to train new terrorists.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 07/22/11 - 06:24 pm
I've never been to France but

I've never been to France but met many French citizens while in Switzerland. Most were very rude with a ridiculously high opinion of themselves. I did meet one fantastic French lady, her HS English and my HS French gave us just enough ability to communicate. I overall found the French very haughty.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 07/22/11 - 06:40 pm
It's the Tea Party and Boy

It's the Tea Party and Boy Scout's fault!

owensjef2
owensjef2 07/22/11 - 07:09 pm
What, Oh Boy!

What, Oh Boy!

hounddog
hounddog 07/23/11 - 09:01 am
"Americans are very, very

"Americans are very, very rich, but they are very, very stupid."
Victoria, why didn’t you ask the lady if we were stupid when we saved France’s butt in both world wars. But like most liberals she probably does NOT even know history.

wbbh
wbbh 07/23/11 - 09:03 am
"Stupid" is judging the US by

"Stupid" is judging the US by the action of Holly-Weird. I wouldn't judge Frenchmen by the acts of Strauss-Kahn or Tron, that _would_ be stupid.

hounddog
hounddog 07/23/11 - 09:04 am
gaspingwater, ‘Can't say

gaspingwater, ‘Can't say Americans are that smart about wars.’
Delta is ready when you are. Kenya might be a country you and Michele can be proud off.

Bruno
Bruno 07/23/11 - 11:50 am
I hate to trot out this tired

I hate to trot out this tired cliche' but if you are truly ashamed to be American the beauty of our country is that you have the freedom to leave it any time you want.
Besides the French aren't the bastion of intelligence in the first place.

alphareign
alphareign 04/10/15 - 07:35 am
I'm finally ashamed to be an American

The funny part is the Eurotrash woman was about to board an American invention (the airplane) as the Wright brothers invented the first successful airplane.

Spring fever usually means more motorcycle crashes

According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, motorcycle fatalities begin to rise in March and double by June. The numbers continue to creep upward through August before seeing a ...