Muslims proudly represent America

I appreciate this paper's policy to publish opposing views. Recently there has been a lot of negative write-up against Muslims. This must be balanced with Muslims who are serving this country with distinction. There are distinguished Muslims in the United States serving their country and earning prestige.

Please find below a list of gentlemen and ladies who have worked hard positively to provide civic goodness for the benefit of all. The list has been shortened to within the word limit allowed in this letter.

The Detroit News had named a well-known community activist, Victor Ghalib Begg, "Michiganian of the Year."

Dr. Tanveer Mirza was among the 2010 Lords and Ladies of Fairfax, honored as an outstanding citizen of Fairfax County, Va.

Lonnie Ali, wife of boxing champion Muhammad Ali, will serve on the Presidential Commission for the Study of Bioethical Issues.

Abdul Malik Mujahid became chairman of the Council for a Parliament of the World's Religions.

Hafizur Rehman, M.D., was honored by Suffolk County, N.Y., for the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Public Service Award.

The National Association of Professional and Executive Women (USA) have honored author and illustrator Linda Ilham Barto as its 2010 Woman of the Year in the arts category.

Imam Salahuddin Muhammad has received the Orange County, N.Y., 2010 Human Rights Award for promoting communication, cooperation and respectful coexistence among faith-based religions in the county.

The Potomac, Md., Chamber of Commerce has named Dr. Naveed Naz as Citizen of the Year for serving bravely in Iraq. The U.S. Army awarded him the Bronze Star for bravery and the Combat Medical Badge.

Dr. Parvez Ahmed was named 2010 Person of the Year by the Northeast Florida weekly newspaper Folio.

Dr. Kazi Islam received 2011 Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Service to the University of Pittsburgh.

I.A. Jilani

Martinez

scorehouse
scorehouse 07/18/11 - 11:37 pm
community activist for what?

community activist for what? presidential apt. being paid my tax dollars, public service award, arts,etc. total bs. all these titles and not one single accomplishment? when will one of you have the nerve to publicly denounce radical islam, suicide bombings, stoning of women, sharia law, etc. i dare you. why don't you make that your next letter? p.s. please do us a favor and get all of the above to sign and endorse it. after all, actions speak louder than words. until we see some action, your words and awards fall upon deaf ears. don;t forget to send a copy to hermann cain.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 07/19/11 - 12:17 am
American citizenship cannot

American citizenship cannot be a function of ethnicity or popularity.

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 07/19/11 - 01:34 am
"Dr. Naveed Naz...The U.S.

"Dr. Naveed Naz...The U.S. Army awarded him the Bronze Star for bravery and the Combat Medical Badge..."
@scorehouse, those awards don't come cheap. Suicide bombings have been publicly denounced time and again. You can't ask Muslims to denounce Sharia Law when you have Christians that want want us governed solely on the Bible.

copperhead
copperhead 07/19/11 - 07:15 am
And hasan was serving proudly

And hasan was serving proudly as he gunned down the thirteen at Fort Hood!

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 07/19/11 - 07:58 am
I'm pretty sure Timothy

I'm pretty sure Timothy McVeigh was a Christian. And, he served in the Army. You can't cite someone's propensity for violence based upon religion. Are all Catholics pedophiles? No. Are all Muslims terrorists? No. Do we all have beliefs that we would kill or die for? Most likely.

southernguy08
southernguy08 07/19/11 - 08:32 am
At a concert given by the Ft.

At a concert given by the Ft. Gordon army band, I saw a young African-American man next to me, dressed in tradional muslim garb. When it came time for the pledge of allegiance before the music started, he just stood there. He wouldn't take the pledge. Wouldn't have bothered me as much if I hadn't seen him introducing his wife to others and realized she was in the band. Do I believe all muslims are terrorists? No. Do I believe muslims, even those who've taken an oath to this country, put their beliefs before America? Yes. Do I believe any muslim exists that doesn't want the destruction of Israel and replaced with Palestine? No. But, that is the beauty of America. I have the right to believe this.

harley_52
harley_52 07/19/11 - 08:39 am
***You can't cite someone's

***You can't cite someone's propensity for violence based upon religion.***

When's the last time you saw a Jew, or a Christian, sawing someone's head off on TV while the victim begged and pleaded for his life?

Jane18
Jane18 07/19/11 - 08:44 am
paul28 is pretty sure Timothy

paul28 is pretty sure Timothy McVeigh was a Christian......Well Paul, I AM sure he was NOT! He was a murderer!!

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 07/19/11 - 08:55 am
"How many religions, other

"How many religions, other than Islam, have world domination and the killing of non-believers as fundamental tenets?"

Christianity.

harley_52
harley_52 07/19/11 - 08:59 am
Paulbaughman28.....having

Paulbaughman28.....having been a Christian now for 65 years, I can assure you that claim is not true. Care to provide a specific source for your claim?

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 07/19/11 - 09:11 am
Crusades...purging of Ireland

Crusades...purging of Ireland of Catholics...purging of England of Catholics...Salem Witch Trials...multiple colonizations of multiple continents during which the inhabitants were suppressed and not even a second-class citizenship were given to them unless they converted...ALL of Africa... the slave trade between the 1400's-1800's....

Need more examples?

harley_52
harley_52 07/19/11 - 09:16 am
***Need more

***Need more examples?***

Examples of agenda driven mischaracterizations of history? No thanks.

I was more asking for something a little more specific, like a biblical call for world domination and the killing of non-believers. Can you cite one, or is it just something you invented for the sake of your agenda?

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 07/19/11 - 09:32 am
harley, I do not have an

harley, I do not have an "agenda," as you call it. The fact of the matter is that countless more atrocities have been carried out by, and condoned by, Christians in the name of Christianity. I own a copy of both the Christian Bible and the Koran and have read them both. The only thing that I have read in the Koran regarding Jihad is that it is only to be called if, and only if, a war against their RELIGION is made first. By attacking their religion, you have done EXACTLY what they wanted you to do... make the war a RELIGIOUS one. I know for a fact that both religions are peaceful and both religions have the potential for extreme violence by people who misinterpret the messages within.

Oh, and OF COURSE I invented things like the slave trade, purging of Catholics, AND the Crusades. Those things NEVER happened in history. Looks like you caught me.

Chillen
Chillen 07/19/11 - 10:05 am
Funny. I don't see anyone on

allhans
allhans 07/19/11 - 10:06 am
Paul, How long ago were those

Paul, How long ago were those atrocities you bring up?

I don't think any of them happened in my lifetime, but perhaps I missed it.

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 07/19/11 - 10:17 am
"Funny. I don't see anyone on

"Funny. I don't see anyone on this list who is working tirelessly to wipe out or at least try to stop muslim terrorists. That is the MOST important thing that muslims can do right now."....AHHHH....SOMEBODY gets it!!!

"Paul, How long ago were those atrocities you bring up?

I don't think any of them happened in my lifetime, but perhaps I missed it.".... So, it has to have happened during YOUR life time for it to qualify as a legitimate atrocity of the correlation between religion and those who interpret it to suit their needs? Very well then... I have three words to that: WESTBORO BAPTIST CHURCH.

Swampman
Swampman 07/19/11 - 10:24 am
I'll give you some more

I'll give you some more recent examples of brutality committed by ostensible Christians, then:

Massacres of Muslim men and boys and rape rooms for Muslim women, courtesy of Serbian Christians.

Lynching of black men by the white Christian Knights of the Ku Klux Klan.

European Jews sent to mass graves, gas chambers and ovens by the Nazis - who, like it or not, have woven "Christian soldier" elements into the dogma.

Seriously, y'all...while Mohammed, as a military leader, stands in rather stark contrast to turn-the-other-cheek Jesus, the lessons of history are clear here: some of the most dangerous people on earth are self-righteous religious militants. I share most Americans' contempt for radical Islamists - they are nothing short of barbarians. But right here in the good ol' USA, our own religious right wages a non-stop "cultural war" against "secularism" and rails about our "decadence" using rhetoric almost indistinguishable from that of the Taliban.

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 07/19/11 - 10:27 am
Swampman...Thank you. You

Swampman...Thank you. You have no idea how many times I have been swarmed on here for posting those same comments. I thought for a second I was the last sane person in Augusta.

scorehouse
scorehouse 07/19/11 - 10:28 am
let's see. muslim countries

let's see. muslim countries and their happiness and productivity. for starters, libya, egypt, afghanistan, pakistan, iraq, iran, syria, gaza, lebanon, yemen, somalia to name a few. a little tension and strife perhaps? of course syria enjoys machine gunning their fellow muslims to quell free speech. but i guess these pits are all governed by blood thirsty christians? so they have screwed up there own societies so much, they find happiness where? america, europe, austrailia. nice. what do they want to do? make everyone in these countries happy muslims! hey paul, why don't you go for a visit? tell them how understanding and much you agree with them? you'll come back in 2 boxes, one for your body, the other for your head!

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 07/19/11 - 10:30 am
Scorehouse....politely click

Scorehouse....politely click on my avatar and take a gander at where I currently am.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 07/19/11 - 10:34 am
We aren't saying all Muslims

We aren't saying all Muslims are terrorist we just observe the WINKING of Muslims on verses in the Quran such as command that Muslims set a trap and lay in wait for everybody else so they can destroy them. These verses are current commands that are being obeyed today and supported by every Muslim that does not condemn them. You should declare these verses in the Quran are no longer applicable and not to be obeyed..

harley_52
harley_52 07/19/11 - 11:15 am
Your examples are

Your examples are mischaracterized, paulbaughman28, whether you know it or not, or whether you want to admit it, or not. If you're really in the military and serving in Afghanistan, I salute your service, but not your knowledge of either Christianity or Islam.

Islam has been at war with non-believers since its creation and muslims have been sawing Kafir's heads off now for about thirteen hundred years. No other "religion" in the world can claim such a penchant for cruelty, subjugation, terror, murder, mayhem, slavery, and downright evil. If you're familiar with the koran are you also familiar with the sunna? Do you know what Mohammed did in Medina (while sitting beside his 12 year old wife) to about 800 Jews he claimed didn't accept his made up claim that he was a prophet of Allah?

Islam is much more than a religion. It's also a legal system, a philosophy on life, a political system, and an ethical code. Most Americans aren't used to looking at a religion that way and most aren't willing to take the time to really find out.

Btw, I served with the Stand Alone Battalion a long time ago in another war. We didn't have a lot of time to hang out on the internet in those days.

Swampman
Swampman 07/19/11 - 11:39 am
You are correct, Crime

You are correct, Crime Reports, and exactly the kind of martial language one might expect when a religious charge and imperial ambitions are conflated by a religious/military leader.

Does it trouble anyone else that the supposed disciples of a "Prince of Peace" are so quick to use martial language? "Onward, Christian Soldiers" set to the rhythm of a march, for example. "Prayer warriors", for another. Really? Can't recall Jesus ever using the language of warfare.

(Paul, you are welcome and I know the feeling. Thank you for your service to our country.)

harley_52
harley_52 07/19/11 - 11:41 am
I want to be clear that I am

I want to be clear that I am specifically NOT attacking all muslims. In fact, I'm not attacking any muslims. I'm attempting an academic discussion of Islam in response to the LTE and comments by others in here. I have no doubt there are many good muslims. With a worldwide population of about 1.4 billion muslims I'm suggesting that if only ten percent are jihadist terrorists, that's still a lot.

I'm assuming the attacks against Christianity are similarly not intended to be aimed at all Christians.

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 07/19/11 - 11:53 am
Well Harley, thank you for

Well Harley, thank you for your service before mine...sincerely.

Sorry but I am only checking and posting in between the oncoming, never ending hordes of Muslims that are trying to kill me...fecetiously.

"Islam is much more than a religion. It's also a legal system, a philosophy on life, a political system, and an ethical code." And Christianity's not? Seriously?

"For example, the Crusades were not unprovoked attacks aimed at destroying non-Christians as you claim, but rather reactive battles aimed at driving muslims out of territories they had invaded, conquored, and enslaved. Look it up." Did. Actually, it was provoked. Jerusalem was in the peaceful control of Muslims and European Christians felt that Jerusalem should be made "Christian once more," Even though Jerusalem NEVER was Christian before the Crusades. NEXT!!

"Islam has been at war with non-believers since its creation and muslims have been sawing Kafir's heads off now for about thirteen hundred years" Well....I can't argue with you there. That is a fact. The only thing that I can say about that is that, while other religions were willing to be peaceful martyrs at their start, Muslims were going to take them with them when they died.

"No other "religion" in the world can claim such a penchant for cruelty, subjugation, terror, murder, mayhem, slavery, and downright evil." I still believe that Christianity takes the cake on that. Some of my ancestors were the subject of forced conversion at the points of swords for the "hvitekrist." I'm not saying that all Christians are evil. I mean to say that they are misled.

"Do you know what Mohammed did in Medina ... to about 800 Jews..." Probably the same thing that Christians did to the Norsemen that wouldn't convert during the hvitekrist... kill them brutally.

"while sitting beside his 12 year old wife..." Yeah...he did like them young. BTW, she was 9 when they were married...12 when he "knew" her.

"didn't accept his made up claim that he was a prophet of Allah..." Wasn't there something in the Christian Bible about Jesus falsely claiming to be something? Didn't he get crucified for it?

I'm not trying to attack Christianity and defend Islam. I am simply trying to point out that RELIGION IN GENERAL can be, and often is, a tool for the greatest evils.

harley_52
harley_52 07/19/11 - 01:04 pm
***I am simply trying to

***I am simply trying to point out that RELIGION IN GENERAL can be, and often is, a tool for the greatest evils.***

We agree on that. Political and economic systems too. What we apparently don't agree on is that as we type this stuff, only one religion has a sizable number of its adherents out there attempting to establish a new caliphate to dominate the world and institute sharia law.

Even if we agree (which we don't) that Christians and Jews once did bad things, such things are not going on now. Now it's radical muslims who may soon possess weapons of mass destruction. I don't think we do anybody any good by trying to justify it all by pointing to historical events about which there is significant disagreement.

One thing about history is that historical facts are usually tainted by the viewpoint or agenda of the historian discussing them. Do you think Japanese children are taught the same view of WWII as are American children?

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/19/11 - 01:12 pm
Matthew 28: 19-20 19 Go

Matthew 28: 19-20
19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

When I read this scripture, sure sounds martial to me. The Lord commands his people (his army) to go forth and teach, baptize, observe and obey until the end. Whether you believe it or not, there is a spiritual battle going on in this universe between good and evil. The question is who's side are you on.

scorehouse
scorehouse 07/19/11 - 01:14 pm
hey paul. stay there. they

hey paul. stay there. they need you.

TK3
TK3 07/19/11 - 01:14 pm
Totally agree paulbaughman28,

Totally agree paulbaughman28, "RELIGION IN GENERAL can be, and often is, a tool for the greatest evils."

Lock & load;
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."~ Richard Dawkins (The God Delusion)

TK3
TK3 07/19/11 - 01:17 pm
Harley: I doubt they are

Harley: I doubt they are taught about it anymore in government schools.

"Do you think Japanese children are taught the same view of WWII as are American children?"