Paper wrongly injected race into debate

I read with interest the June 26 article written by Staff Writer Sandy Hodson ("Dispute offers lesson") in the Metro section of your paper. The article contained pertinent information about the Knob Hill controversy and the veteran's family who wanted to build a house there. It was informative and very well-written.

Just below the article was the subtitle "Property covenants" with the following statement: "Property covenants were used in the past to prevent blacks from living in certain neighborhoods," along with several other facts about property covenants.

After such a well-written article I couldn't believe what I was reading. This information may be true; however, it had no relevancy to the article at all. It was totally unnecessary to add this subsection to this article.

The Augusta Chronicle often touts the need for racial healing in the Augusta area, particularly in the politics of Augusta's government. However, here in a very emotionally charged situation, The Chronicle chose to take a cheap shot by jabbing at this situation with the idea that race may be a factor.

I was very disappointed in the decision of the editors to allow this section to follow such a well-written article that never mentions anything about race.

dougk
dougk 07/15/11 - 05:14 pm
Social justice is central to

Social justice is central to Judeo-Christian values, Harley. I would think there are quite a number of conversatives who would find it offensive that you are equating social justice as being solely progressive, or for God's sake, LIBERAL!!!

RunningMan
RunningMan 07/15/11 - 07:22 pm
SeeItB4, I have been waiting

SeeItB4, I have been waiting all day to reply to your posting this morning, but couldn't do so because of work. But really, you must have been spoon feed for most of your life, probably have no idea what its like to work hard to get ahead in life, and only interested in focusing on the negatives regarding blacks. In reply to you posting below:

For the last 60+ years we have tried to"right"the wrongs but...

We have more black males in jail than ever b4 (There probably should be just as many whites in jail as well)

We have more single black moms head of household than ever b4 (The same can be said for white households as well)

Here are a few more facts you forgot to mention:
1. Annually, for over 10 years, Whites have committed close to 70% or over 70% of the crimes in this country, but somehow, they are convicted far less why?
2. Whites commit more hate crimes in this country.
3. Whites commit more mass murders in this country.

Now, you see how easy that is to focus on the bad things done by whites. If you are going to go down that road, how about looking at the entire road, instead of just one side of it.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 07/15/11 - 08:12 pm
What I hear Dougk and Brad

What I hear Dougk and Brad saying is this... Years ago, had we, as a nation, been more willing to give a hand up, we might not be stuck in this social quagmire of giving a hand out.

It makes more sense to become solution oriented rather than blaming.

harley_52
harley_52 07/15/11 - 08:58 pm
I can't really understand

I can't really understand what Brad is saying, but dougk is talking about just what I said he was. When you hear a "progressive" talking about "social justice" it's pretty important to understand that the term doesn't mean the same thing to them as it does most people.

We have been giving hand outs to millions of people for decades. We have given people free housing, free food, and free medical care, plus giving them spending money enough to live a middle class lifestyle without lifting a finger. Beyond that we have paid them more to have illegitimate children and not to have fathers around the house. We've insured them they are "entitled" to all those things without regard to how they act and whether or not they even say "thank you."

By doing all these things we have institutionalized helplessness, hopelessness, dependence, and despair. We have cemented this entitlement mentality into generations of Americans who now have little chance of becoming self-sufficient, responsible citizens because they believe someone else is responsible for all their wants and needs.

If these people will ever become part of mainstream America they'll have to get off the entitlement and hand-out gravy train and start becoming productive and self-sufficient. One political party wants to keep expanding the number of those who are totally dependent on someone else for their very lives. The number of people who are tied to the government gravy train for their existence has increased to where it is very near half of the U.S. population and growing.

dougk
dougk 07/15/11 - 10:07 pm
Thank you, Willow. For the

Thank you, Willow. For the most part, I think you summed it up well.
And, Harley, I don't think we are that far from making a compromise on on our sentiments as you think we are.

RunningMan
RunningMan 07/16/11 - 05:06 am
You all do understand than

hounddog
hounddog 07/16/11 - 06:24 am
Running Man, ‘We have a lousy

Running Man, ‘We have a lousy education system that is failing our poor (its not the education system alone, but even the so called rich white folks are failing at a higher rate as well)’
The ones that have REALLY failed young blacks are the leaders in the black communities and black churches that have taught the entitlement mentality. They have been taught that nothing is their fault it is all the white man’s fault.
You can also blame the liberal’s entitlement programs that have broken-up black families.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/16/11 - 07:08 am
runningman....You sooo don't

runningman....You sooo don't know me...

I have NEVER had a silver spoon---I have worked HARD for my $$$ 30+ years as a matter of fact...
But here is where I stand----I DON'T OWE ANYONE A LIVING-HOUSE-CAR-COLLEGE-& I don't care what color they are....the only people on welfare-ebt--should be the elderly-poor kids w/o parents(any color)
Just like I have said on here B4 ...we now have a black President-a black Attr.General....if that doesn't say blacks have prospered...then WHAT DOES??
This subject always stirrs emotions---so seeya,,,,I'm not going to
spend time on here debating...

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/16/11 - 07:23 am
Yeh....I see why copperhead

Yeh....I see why copperhead posts the way he does.....:)

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 07/16/11 - 10:00 am
In a system of criminal law

In a system of criminal law based upon providing the best outcomes money can buy, should anyone be surprised that there is a very strong tendency for rich folks to pay for their crimes with their money(legal fees, court costs, fines, etc.) while poor folks pay for their crimes with their time (incarcerations in county jails, half-way houses and prisons)?

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 07/16/11 - 10:24 am
harley_52, We must make

harley_52,

We must make available the opportunity to progress. Plain and simple, and given our history, blacks need to be given some help due to all the systemic oppression they suffered, a mindset not yet overcome.

No one is saying gve it away, just allow those who can make it, to make it.

Brad

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/16/11 - 10:33 am
brad.....In Tar Hill North

brad.....In Tar Hill North Carolina they can't get anyone to run for mayor or 3 empty commission seats....interested in running in NC?

harley_52
harley_52 07/16/11 - 11:32 am
runningman....Let's assume

runningman....Let's assume your statement is true. I'm not saying it isn't, I just haven't seen the evidence. My opinion remains the same. The other side's arguments, however, are ALL based upon race. The other side is all about slavery, reparations, and revenge. The term "social justice" as applied by the "progressives" can be correctly interpreted to mean all present day whites owe all present day blacks gazillions of dollars because some blacks were held slave in the U. S. about a hundred and fifty years ago and longer.

Brad, we have made available the opportunity to progress. Some have availed themselves to those opportunities, others have chosen not to. For some, the choice is easy because that's the way we trained them by giving them so much and expecting so little from them. It is for those (black and white) that we have done the greatest disservice. The "great society" was a devastating mistake for millions who fell victim to the notion that society would provide it all for them forever.

Where to you see the racial discrimination by whites against blacks these days?

rblessing
rblessing 07/16/11 - 11:52 am
Brad, I appreciate your

Brad,

I appreciate your comments. I am not suggesting that race was not an issue. Only those who are intimate with the situation would know that. The article I am referencing was about the legal aspects of HOA's and that the court system has historically sided with them. It never mentions race or his veteran status. This article was written at least a week or so after all of this surfaced and for me was a fresh different perspective on the problem. It seemed things had cooled down a bit with the race and veteran status which brought strong emotional feelings, and rightfully so. It just seemed to me that the situation had cooled off a good bit from the emotional part of it and this article was a totally different look at which the Chronicle chose to bring the race issue back into it.
Ray

hounddog
hounddog 07/16/11 - 12:47 pm
Running Man, ‘You all do

Running Man, ‘You all do understand than there are more whites receiving so called social handouts than blacks, right?’
I don’t believe you’ll win that argument. Take a look at the REAL numbers.
Census of US
White – 65%
Hispanic – 16&
Black – 13%
Asia – 5%

On Welfare
White 38.8%
Black 37.2
Hispanic 17.8
Asian 2.8
Other 3.4

hounddog
hounddog 07/16/11 - 12:54 pm
harley_52, ‘Where to you see

harley_52, ‘Where to you see the racial discrimination by whites against blacks these days?’
There is more black discrimination against whites now than white against blacks.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 07/16/11 - 01:33 pm
Well, I can accept

Well, I can accept that.

Thanks for making your opinions known.

Brad

Mayor's race historic, controversial

Hardie Davis is still waiting to take office after winning a mayoral race that featured no white candidates and saw one of his opponents drop out the day before the election.