Paper wrongly injected race into debate

I read with interest the June 26 article written by Staff Writer Sandy Hodson ("Dispute offers lesson") in the Metro section of your paper. The article contained pertinent information about the Knob Hill controversy and the veteran's family who wanted to build a house there. It was informative and very well-written.

Just below the article was the subtitle "Property covenants" with the following statement: "Property covenants were used in the past to prevent blacks from living in certain neighborhoods," along with several other facts about property covenants.

After such a well-written article I couldn't believe what I was reading. This information may be true; however, it had no relevancy to the article at all. It was totally unnecessary to add this subsection to this article.

The Augusta Chronicle often touts the need for racial healing in the Augusta area, particularly in the politics of Augusta's government. However, here in a very emotionally charged situation, The Chronicle chose to take a cheap shot by jabbing at this situation with the idea that race may be a factor.

I was very disappointed in the decision of the editors to allow this section to follow such a well-written article that never mentions anything about race.

Comments (56)

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/11 - 07:01 am

I'm trying to make a point

I'm trying to make a point guys---where does it stop......when will we learn....my dad always said..."If you need a helping hand,...look at the end of your elbow." I tried to live by those words...it has worked for me.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 07/15/11 - 08:16 am

seemit, No one is asking to

seemit,

No one is asking to be GIVEN anything, that is part of the problem right there in your midset.

Read what I wrote, I said QUALIFIED people should be given a chance.

My example was the medical school one. It is a well known fact that there are a very small number of qualified minorities who apply to med school when compared to whites.

So why not let them get in and have a chance to make it?

AA is not about GIVING anyone anything but an opportunity they have been excluded from up until about 30 years ago.

Brad

Patrickn1
Patrickn1 07/15/11 - 08:40 am

hmmmm

hmmmm

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/15/11 - 08:31 am

Brad/River's position is

Brad/River's position is admirable. The only problem is for the white kid with better grades who is denied in order to right the wrongs of the past. What do you tell him?

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/11 - 08:32 am

Brad.... My post wasn't aimed

Brad....

My post wasn't aimed at you or your words......anyone can use a helping hand & those deserving it...yes I agree....just some things I have witnessed have gotten to me today.....too much to put on here...it's best I don't!!!!!!! Have a good day,

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/11 - 08:38 am

But keep this in

But keep this in mind.....many whites have also been excluded for all kinds of reasons.......believe it or not......did you have a silver spoon-were your parents wealthy....did you live in the best part of town.....could your parents afford the best college.....poverty comes in all colors....that is what I am saying.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/11 - 08:43 am

If you could see how some

If you could see how some poor whites are living in the North Ga.mountains it would blow your mind...canvas tents---10 degree weather.....funny thing though----very little welfare in that area....kids suffer all over this nation & their colors don't really matter does it?

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/11 - 08:46 am

btw...my mindset is

btw...my mindset is ok.....just share the pity party...ok?

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 07/15/11 - 09:06 am

justthefacts, I am not sure

justthefacts,

I am not sure what to say other than there are benefits to the overall health of the nation to have more educated minorities in good paying professions.

Also, given the history of exclusion, what would be wrong with a little advantage being awarded to minorities willing to work for it?

We cannot ignore the past nor can we move ahead without making every effort to right the wrongs.

Reciprocity is the key word here.

Brad

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/15/11 - 09:29 am

Brad, I get it. Just not sure

Brad, I get it. Just not sure the white kid who has worked his tail off for 20 yrs to achieve his dream is going to buy that explanation.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/11 - 09:43 am

I really think we all "get

I really think we all "get it."

For the last 60+ years we have tried to"right"the wrongs but...

We have more black males in jail than ever b4
We have more single black moms head of household than ever b4
We have a lousy education system that is failing our poor

hounddog
hounddog 07/15/11 - 09:52 am

seenitB4, ‘We are now at

seenitB4, ‘We are now at least 3 generations later...brad can you at least admit what we are doing isn't working??’
It would appear that ole Brad wants to return to Augusta and run for anything he can get elected too.

hounddog
hounddog 07/15/11 - 09:57 am

RunningMan, ‘Slavery

RunningMan, ‘Slavery accomplished nothing good for the country.’
Where would you be if slavery never existed in this country?

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/11 - 10:01 am

houndog..I saw your post that

houndog..I saw your post that ole brad might be running for office in the future...hahah......didn't think about that...but good point...gotta do what a mans gotta do...LOL...laugh brad..:)

hounddog
hounddog 07/15/11 - 10:10 am

seenitB4, Sounds like ole

seenitB4, Sounds like ole Brad is campaigning to me. He always did get along real well the Charles Walker crowd.

Chad
Chad 07/15/11 - 11:24 am

Reading all the different

Reading all the different posts on here. Some I agree with and some I do not. At one point in time AA was needed but in this day and age is it still needed? Reverse discrimination lets say 2 Identical candidates apply for one slot at the med school. One black and one white all things being equal except color of their skin. The selection board is predominantly black who do you think gets that slot? Now the same goes if the board is predominantly white? If the white students gets that slot the other throws the race card. But if the black student gets the slot can the white student claim the same? Why can't a white student apply for a black only scholarship? that would be race discrimination. We all have heard about white only scholarship and the fuss that was made over it how that is race discrimination.
Racial discrimination will always be there whether overt or covert it is still there. Next time you are in a business watch how the employee addresses a person of their color as compared to a person of the opposite color

dougk
dougk 07/15/11 - 12:05 pm

I hope Mr. Owens does run for

I hope Mr. Owens does run for office in Augusta again. I would move across the river to vote for him.

harley_52
19524
harley_52 07/15/11 - 12:18 pm

I don't think it's possible

I don't think it's possible to have it both ways. Let me rephrase the question.

Should we exclude higher SAT scoring white students from a school so lower scoring black students can get in? Should be exclude white firemen who score higher on a promotion test so we can dip down to lower scoring black firemen to promote them?

harley_52
19524
harley_52 07/15/11 - 12:20 pm

Brad, some might not believe

Brad, some might not believe "reciprocity" is the key word, but rather "discrimination."

eagle
eagle 07/15/11 - 01:15 pm

Back to the original article;

Back to the original article; the paper merely pointed out the truth about the covenants of the past and what their agenda was. Does that offend some people? Sounds like it. Revising history to make you feel good only hurts future generations.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 07/15/11 - 01:59 pm

@ justthefacts, I am not

@ justthefacts, I am not saying this is perfect, but chances are that white kid can find a school that will accept him and this doesn't need to be at every school either. Maybe this should only be at non-private med schools for instance.

@ seenitB4, I am not sure where you grew up, but the Acree court order was in my lifetime. There has been major strides in race relations and equality, but things are not equal and the idea that white people are somehow at a disadvantage is just a far-right myth used to scare folks and confuse the issue. I am not saying that things are as bad as the Black Panther Party says, but it isn't as bad as some white folks think either.

@ Chad, yes, you are right, there is still race tension and the only thing that equalizes it is education and economic empowerment.

@ dougk, Thanks for the kind words. I would only run for office agin if I had a steamer trunk full of cash and can not have to raise a cent. That would scare the heck out of the CABAL. Brad with money, scary thought for lots of folks

@ harley_52, no, but qulaified candidates should be accepted as long as they don't exceed a certain % of the slots, say 5% or 10%. And I think reciprocity is the exact term folks need to think about.

Brad

harley_52
19524
harley_52 07/15/11 - 02:24 pm

So, Brad, you're in favor of

So, Brad, you're in favor of a quota system. Since you are, let me ask you who establishes the quota and what criteria should they use? Oh, and do you think the test should be written to specially favor any particular racial group?

Oh, and one last question...."Reciprocity" for what?

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 07/15/11 - 02:36 pm

Well said, Chillen. I haven't

Well said, Chillen. I haven't read the whole thread, so please, don't think I'm slighting anyone else.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 07/15/11 - 02:58 pm

harley_52, No, I don't like

harley_52,

No, I don't like to say so many MUST be a certain group, but if up to a certain number make the cut, they should all be allowed to have a slot.

Brad

hounddog
hounddog 07/15/11 - 03:08 pm

‘Brad with money, scary

‘Brad with money, scary thought for lots of folks’
Then you could move into Knob Hill.

harley_52
19524
harley_52 07/15/11 - 03:16 pm

I'm sorry, Brad...I

I'm sorry, Brad...I understood you to say "...a certain % of the slots, say 5% or 10%" and I was trying to understand how you might establish those percentages and whether those percentages (no matter how established) should be favored over scores on the test.

I'm also not understanding what you mean by "reciprocity" in the context you're using it. I think what we're after is an end to "discrimination," but you seem to disagree.

dougk
dougk 07/15/11 - 03:32 pm

Harley....It's like a few

Harley....It's like a few people sitting down to play Monopoly. You want play, but they won't let you. Then, after all the property is bought up and there a several monopolies with houses and hotels already built, they say, "Oh, we were wrong, you can play now and we'll call it even."

harley_52
19524
harley_52 07/15/11 - 05:34 pm

It's nothing like that at

It's nothing like that at all, dougk, but thanks for trying.

I'm not playing monopoly, nor did my parents. It's true that some of the early citizens of this nation owned slaves. Such was the practice around the world at one time or another. If you go back far enough, you can likely prove every race was exploited at some time in their past. How far back do we go?

Are we responsible for the sins of our fathers, or their fathers, or their fathers before them? I haven't held any slaves. My father didn't hold slaves, nor did his father. My children certainly haven't. Why should my children be penalized and punished for slavery if they both abhor it, and never had anything to do with it?

I'm thinking what I'm reading on here sounds a whole lot like the philosophy I've been reading about called "social justice." And from what I read we're not really looking for "reciprocity" as Brad was saying, we're actually looking for "revenge."

dougk
dougk 07/15/11 - 05:49 pm

Yes, Harley, you're right.

Yes, Harley, you're right. I'm talking social justice.

harley_52
19524
harley_52 07/15/11 - 05:55 pm

Only in the world of a

Only in the world of a "progressive" can the term "social justice" be used to describe, extortion, theft, revenge, racism, and fraud.

You can probably understand why I choose to be a Conservative.

New chair gets vet off-road to fish

Army veteran Henry Kent's new Action Trackchair has attachments for fishing, with a holder for his fishing pole and a built-in tackle box, but others can be outfitted with gunracks for hunting.