Paper wrongly injected race into debate

I read with interest the June 26 article written by Staff Writer Sandy Hodson ("Dispute offers lesson") in the Metro section of your paper. The article contained pertinent information about the Knob Hill controversy and the veteran's family who wanted to build a house there. It was informative and very well-written.

Just below the article was the subtitle "Property covenants" with the following statement: "Property covenants were used in the past to prevent blacks from living in certain neighborhoods," along with several other facts about property covenants.

After such a well-written article I couldn't believe what I was reading. This information may be true; however, it had no relevancy to the article at all. It was totally unnecessary to add this subsection to this article.

The Augusta Chronicle often touts the need for racial healing in the Augusta area, particularly in the politics of Augusta's government. However, here in a very emotionally charged situation, The Chronicle chose to take a cheap shot by jabbing at this situation with the idea that race may be a factor.

I was very disappointed in the decision of the editors to allow this section to follow such a well-written article that never mentions anything about race.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 07/14/11 - 03:13 am
The disabled vet's wife

The disabled vet's wife commented to the TV12 reporter, "We don't want to live where we're not wanted."

Au contraire, continue to live in Knob Hill because a few of the anonymous supporters of the work stoppage probably don't want you to live there.

It's worked for me for seven years in dealing with one of my fellow HOA members-next door neighbor who wanted her friend to buy the house in which we now live.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 07/14/11 - 05:31 am
Ray, In case you didn't

Ray,

In case you didn't notice, SFC Gitten's family are "black" and given the fact that these "Property covenants" were used to do the exact thing that was just done to SFC Gittens and his family because of race in the past, what makes you rule out race as being a factor now?

Race COULD have been a factor, MAYBE it wasn't, but to rule it out given the history of these "Property covenants" and the way they were used against African-Americans in the past is obtuse.

The way SFC Gittens and his family were treated is despicable no matter what.

Brad

dougk
dougk 07/14/11 - 06:03 am
Yes, Mr. Blessing, these

Yes, Mr. Blessing, these historical "inconveniences" that black Americans experienced should continue to be swept under the rug. It's embarassing for white folks.

blues550
blues550 07/14/11 - 06:13 am
Correct. Race had nothing to

Correct. Race had nothing to do with it nor did the family. The organization simply dropped the ball.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/14/11 - 06:30 am
There have been many charges

There have been many charges made against the HOA and the charity organization trying to build the disabled wounded soldier a home. It's best to let the FBI and government attorneys determine who is at fault. I hope they are gearing up to step in soon and determine once and for all what happened.

hounddog
hounddog 07/14/11 - 07:00 am
‘Race COULD have been a

‘Race COULD have been a factor, MAYBE it wasn't, but to rule it out given the history of these "Property covenants" and the way they were used against African-Americans in the past is obtuse
Brad, it is not nice to play the race card in place of the wealth envy card that you are usually playing.

hounddog
hounddog 07/14/11 - 07:04 am
dough, ‘It's embarassing for

dough, ‘It's embarassing for white folks.’
Why is that? I have never been racist so why should I feel embarrassed? Are you embarrassed for the wrongs other blacks commit.

agustinian
agustinian 07/14/11 - 07:07 am
I'm a veteran -- went to war

I'm a veteran -- went to war twice, and I totally support Knob Hill. The criteria for building there are objective with regard to size and materials used. The proposed structure didn't meet those criteria, the HOA said no. So what is the problem? If Knob Hill was the only place to live in the Augusta area, maybe I could see an issue, but it ain't. For Pete's sake, take those plans to a myriad of other places and build the !@#$$ thing.

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 07/14/11 - 07:16 am
augustinian.... the problem

augustinian.... the problem is that, according to the charity, they were approved to build the house. On the day the building was to commence, the issued an order to cease activities because, while the building was technically within HOA guidelines, the house would have been smaller and one-story.

Chillen
Chillen 07/14/11 - 09:30 am
Anyone who thinks race is a

Anyone who thinks race is a factor in the Knob Hill controversy clearly has never been to that neighborhood. It is quite racially diverse.

I for one am 100% sick of the black race card being thrown out. This nation has actually gotten to the point of reverse discrimination. A white male can hardly get a job in the federal or state govt, for example.

I say just live your life and get the chip off your shoulder.

edubb
edubb 07/14/11 - 09:57 am
We don't know if race was a

We don't know if race was a factor or not. Either way. Mentioning what was done to blacks in the past with property covenants was simply stating a FACT. Why does speaking the truth upset people? When you have a organization that builds houses ALL OVER THE COUNTRY for disabled vets, followed Knob Hills building procedures, and for some strange reason the site wasn't approved that's crazy.

@ Chillen

The black race card? you can't be serious. White men can't get a job at Federal or State level? That is a total exageration. The majority of Federal Police and State are caucasian. What is the black race card? Is it how people said President Obama was not American and born in Kenya, is it how a politican can SHOUT YOU LIE while the President is addressing the nation (very disrepectful and never done before), is it how the republicans can send around an email depicting President Obama as a chimp sitting in the lap of two monkey parents? You can't be serious. Sound like you have a chip on your shoulder buddy.

Chillen
Chillen 07/14/11 - 10:17 am
edubb, I didn't say they

edubb, I didn't say they CAN'T. I said they CAN HARDLY. Look around the govt offices when you go. Have you been to a DOT office lately? I know there are plenty of white males in jobs that require certain qualifications & degrees. However, your standard govt job is not filled by white males - compared to % of population. That is a fact.

Here's one example for you. Enjoy.

I say the best person for the job should be hired. 100% of the time. Skin color should not matter & quotas should not have to be filled - for any race - white, black, brown or purple. Quotas = Discrimination.

If you don't know what the race card is, then you haven't been living in America for more than a millisecond.

Oh, and I seem to recall laughter at Bush for shoes being thrown at him, pictures of him as a chimp (do an image search online "picture of george bush chimp" for your proof).

Sorry, no special Presidential criticism for obama. Though you'd clearly like to think so edubb. Race card. Pulled again. Speaking on chips on one's shoulder.....

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 07/14/11 - 10:30 am
@ blues550, we don't KNOW

@ blues550, we don't KNOW 100% for certain race played no part.

@ augustinian, as a combat vet you should support Gittens and not Knob Hill. This man met everything that they asked for and was still turned away, why would you side with people like that over a comrade in arms, and one who is combat disabled?

@ paul, everyone seems to forget that part, that they had approval and then it was revoked at the very last minute.

@ chillin, race is still an issue and one that must not be ignored if we are ever going to move past race. And there is no such thing as, "reverse discrimination" in America, only discrimination period. Race based choices are wrong, and race COULD have played a part in all this.

Anyone who discounts race, or ignores race, or says race is not a problem, is not part of the solution here as far as race goes.

Brad

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 07/14/11 - 11:53 am
Unfortunately, two Acts were

Unfortunately, two Acts were passed in 1964 and 1965 giving permanent advantage to one racial segment of this nation. As a direct result, I firmly believe there will never be racial harmony. We are as divided a nation as we have ever witnessed. In Cobb county (Marietta), they now have a "Black Pages" to list ONLY BLACK businesses. Can you now imagine a "White Pages" without listing black businesses? Can't happen! Slavery is slavery, no matter how well disguised!

harley_52
harley_52 07/14/11 - 04:15 pm
I'm wondering what all those

I'm wondering what all those watching out for racism have to say about the so called "suntan tax." This little jewel was the first tax implemented by Obamacare and is obviously targeted at the small percentage of the American population (whites) using suntan spas.

Or doesn't that matter?

harley_52
harley_52 07/14/11 - 05:36 pm
Hey Brad...if there's "...no

Hey Brad...if there's "...no such thing as, "reverse discrimination" in America..." how do you explain "affirmative action?"

dougk
dougk 07/14/11 - 06:13 pm
Harley, I can't believe you

Harley, I can't believe you are not totally humiliated with your attempt to compare tanning booth taxes to slavery, forced segregation in all aspects of life, and the resulting institutionalized discrimination that continues even today.

harley_52
harley_52 07/14/11 - 06:33 pm
Well, I'm not, dougk. I'm

Well, I'm not, dougk. I'm not even the slightly humiliated. We were talking about discrimination, not comparative degrees of it. Besides, the only institutionalized discrimination today is the kind Brad claims doesn't exist.

hounddog
hounddog 07/14/11 - 09:25 pm
edubb, ‘White men can't get a

edubb, ‘White men can't get a job at Federal or State level? That is a total exageration.’
A friend that was manager in the federal government in DC explained to me what happen.
In the late 70s & early 80s managers were required to promote a certain % of blacks to supervisory positions even if they were not qualified. The blacks that were promote to supervisor hired 90% blacks. As my friend said, ‘in the 70s when you walked into the HUD building and you would see 80% white when I retired in the late 90s there were about 90% black’. Of course that was not reverse discrimination.

hounddog
hounddog 07/14/11 - 09:28 pm
‘@ chillin, race is still an

‘@ chillin, race is still an issue and one that must not be ignored if we are ever going to move past race.’
Brad, are you planning to come back and run for office in Augusta?

RunningMan
RunningMan 07/15/11 - 06:31 am
Blacks have been denied the

Blacks have been denied the same rights as whites for so long, many of them still expect no less. For any white person to talk reverse discrimination, and supporting the best person getting the job is almost comical considering many blacks had to work twice as hard to become successful in life. As yes, you still have those good old boys trying their best to keep the practices of the past alive and well. Slavery accomplished nothing good for the country. It only allowed one race to get ahead and make a lot of money, while holding another race back.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 07/15/11 - 06:20 am
AA, is about opening up

AA, is about opening up opportunities that have been closed. It is NOT about hurting whites, it is about helping minorities have an opportunity.

I do not support giving something for race only, but if out of 500 slots in medical school, there are only 30 minorities apply who meet the standard but have not been able to score higher than the 10,000 white applicants, what is wrong with giving them an opportunity?

The fact is, more educated blacks serves to end the race question in America, but not as long as people like you see opportunity and a surrender of cultural dominance.

My Doctor here is African trained in UK, and practiced in Maryland for nine years by the way.

Again, I am not saying give unqualified applicants preference, but I say put all qualified minority applicants in a slot so we can help increase the upward mobility of minorities in our country who were denied the opportunity for over two centuries. That will do more to reduce racial tension in the future than ignoring historical exclusion and pretending that all is well when it is not.

You can’t right a wrong with words only, it takes action. Like the Fair Housing Act for instance. Which I think was violated here in fact.

Brad

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/11 - 06:41 am
runningman... In America

runningman...
In America today---the only thing holding any race back is THEIR BRAIN CELLS.....when we have a black President & a black Attr.General it's kinda hard to play the race card---MOVE ON!
Put some of that energy into the crime infested neighborhoods.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/15/11 - 06:42 am
Brad, you expressed my

Brad, you expressed my feelings there. Even though I'm conservative and believe in rewarding performance, the black population is coming out of an apartheid system that kept them poor and uneducated and we all have to do what we can to help them catch up.

In a state like Georgia where so much of our population is black we have to find ways to create black leaders in the esteemed professions.

Sure it's a dilemma, but as it is here when you have Augusta with 65% minorities, the public sector jobs have to reflect the population. That's just common sense. Medical school acceptance takes it another step. Why not? We need good black role models, not rappers.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 07/15/11 - 06:49 am
Thanks RM1, it is an opinion

Thanks RM1, it is an opinion I have formed after years of trying to overcome race in our society.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/11 - 06:49 am
Will someone compensate me

Will someone compensate me because my parents grew up in the depression & had a very tough time....it affected everything my mother did later in life.....she never had self-confidence....always thought she was inferior...soo pretty please....give me a better job-house-money to makeup for that injustice.....yeh.....I'm just saying---MANY PEOPLE HAVE A TOUGH TIME---sometimes it makes you a better person...I know I was determined to have more in life.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/11 - 06:51 am
Brad-river.....chip in & buy

Brad-river.....chip in & buy me a new car......:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/15/11 - 06:55 am
SeenIt, go sit in the

SeenIt, go sit in the audience for Oprah's show.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/11 - 06:55 am
btw....I don't want just any

btw....I don't want just any ole car...I want a Lexus-hybrid....I will be watching for the delivery ....(white or baby blue suv)

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/11 - 06:57 am
river----we now know you sit

river----we now know you sit in a mansion on the river,,, you can afford to make me happy.:)