Gay-pride events hold special meaning

The Founding Fathers strove to create "a more perfect union." Augusta Pride believes in this goal.

Many people have commented on the Augusta Chronicle website to the effect that we parade that which should be kept private, but that is not what Pride events are about. Rather, they commemorate the events that transpired the last weekend in June 1969, when street kids -- many of whom were gay -- and transgender individuals at the Stonewall Inn in New York City refused to accept another police raid -- to be shaken down for money to keep their names out of the papers; to be harassed; or to be treated as though they were not worthy of our Founding Fathers' noble goal.

The gay street kids had nothing else to lose. Their families, including one young man whose mother held his face to a hot stovetop so that he would no longer be attractive to other men, had already rejected them. On that night they said "yes" to full inclusion and the need for respect. The Stonewall Riots, as they came to be known, went on for several days and nights. It is the courage of these individuals to no longer be invisible that has been commemorated for the past 42 years.

A father wrote Augusta Pride after the festivities of that weekend:

"Thank you! I am a parent to a 16-year-old openly gay son, and the joy I (saw) on his face today was priceless. My son was able to see happy and healthy gay families walking hand in hand with pride, without shame and without the need to hide their love for one another. So again thank you. Your hard work has made a difference for all families, but especially for our gay youth."

There is no greater community expression than that which is captured in this statement. The city of Augusta estimate places the number of participants at the 2011 Augusta Pride Parade and Festival at 6,500 to 7,000 people. In their words, "This is definitely high on the list of Augusta's great festivals."

While this has an economic impact for the city, and this is a contribution we are proud to make, it is not the economic impact that motivates the Augusta Pride Committee. It is the words of this straight father and his gay son, who for one day felt safe, accepted and a part of this community.

We strive to create a more perfect union for Augusta, where straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender individuals come together as humans for at least one day to celebrate the events of 1969, and hopefully continue to share this unity throughout the coming year.

Christopher J. Bannochie, Ph.D.

Augusta

(The writer is public relations director of Augusta Pride.)

copperhead
copperhead 07/10/11 - 06:07 am
All families should be forced

All families should be forced to have at least one gay member! For the required diversity and pride!

sconservative
sconservative 07/10/11 - 07:34 am
It is not the homosexual that

It is not the homosexual that God hates, but He gave them over to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged the natural sexual relations for unnatural ones, and likewise the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed in their passions for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in themselves the due penalty for their error (Romans 1). The homosexual act is the same sin as an act of adultery. Both are an abomination to the Lord. Neither should be celebrated!

southern2
southern2 07/10/11 - 08:16 am
No matter how many

No matter how many participated in the local homosexual parade, how scholarly the advocates are for this lifestyle, or the force of the political and corporate push, I will never find it acceptable or consider LGBT as normal. Even the warm, descriptive, feel good, phrase words, like gay youth, pride, and festivities cannot hide its true nature. Sorry to be a party pooper but I've grown weary of the "in your face" movement that continues to attack what I believe is moral and true.

harley_52
harley_52 07/10/11 - 08:46 am
Have you ever noticed how the

Have you ever noticed how the ultra-left tries to sneak their madness by normal society by changing the names of things to make them sound appealing? Taking away workers' secret ballot becomes "Employee Free Choice Act." Raising taxes and runaway federal spending becomes "investment." The slaughter of innocent human life becomes "freedom of choice." Homosexual becomes "gay." And protesting society's unwillingness to embrace the the abnormal and sinful somehow becomes a twisted, in your face demonstration of "pride."

Good heavens, some of the ideas they come up with. Trying to co-opt the words "a more perfect union" to describe attempts to shove their agenda down peoples' throats might be laughable, were it not so blatantly obscene and grotesque.

scott-hudson
scott-hudson 07/10/11 - 10:15 am
I was very honored to be

I was very honored to be asked to help host the Pride event at the commons...Kinda interesting they asked a conservative Republican to be the MC of the event. I had a wonderful time and was surrounded by wonderful people. Equal rights under the law is a conservative principle.It does not matter what one's beliefs are regarding homosexuality, we as Americans have created a system to where everyone is supposed to be treated equally and so sometimes we must put our personal feelings aside and rest our judgment on the principle of law. Therefore, I supported the Pride event and will continue to do so in the future.

allhans
allhans 07/10/11 - 10:28 am
scott-hudson..Is it really

scott-hudson..Is it really necessary to support something in the name of equality. Can't you just as easily say, I'm not against them, they have their rights, but I refuse to join theM?
I agree with the comments by Harley 52 and others, the "gay Pride" in your face thing is an absurdity.

scgator
scgator 07/10/11 - 10:50 am
scott-hudson.....I see on

scott-hudson.....I see on your profile picture, you have a daughter; do you foresee a boyfriend or a girlfriend in her future. I am not trying to be crass, but our children learn what we teach. Tolerance is one thing, but how will you teach her which way is right and which way is wrong.??? Or is there no wrong?? If I were drunk driver with your attitude; I would be teaching my kids..it' okay to be a drunk and drive as long as you don't hit (infringe on anybody's rights) someone.

scott-hudson
scott-hudson 07/10/11 - 10:52 am
allhans - um, yeah. it

allhans - um, yeah. it is...that is what makes America great. We are all about liberty and equal protection under the law. Period.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 07/10/11 - 10:55 am
We need to organize and have

We need to organize and have a Heterosexual Pride Parade just after each gay pride parade and display. I mean the Same day.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/10/11 - 10:57 am
Scott, stop patting yourself

Scott, stop patting yourself on the back. You did it, big deal. Now get back out there and do some more hard hitting investigative reporting like you used to do. Start doing more on that show on the other station.

scott-hudson
scott-hudson 07/10/11 - 10:59 am
Scgator- a drunk driver is

Scgator- a drunk driver is breaking the law, how can you even attempt to use that to make a point? And as far as my daughter is concerned, she is being raised in a loving household, and I do not care the color or gender of the person she ends up loving as an adult as long as that person treats her like I expect her to be treated. And that is like the princess she is.

harley_52
harley_52 07/10/11 - 10:59 am
Scott-hudson....you are

Scott-hudson....you are certainly entitled to your opinions and free to choose the causes you support. As for me, I think people are treated equally unless they behave in ways that are inconsistent with societal norms (laws, mainly) or where they interfere with the lives of others. I believe homosexuals enjoy the very same freedoms I do and you do. Where it gets dicey is when they want to step out from behind closed doors and DEMAND their behavior be treated as "normal," which it isn't, and DEMAND they receive special treatment under the law, which they shouldn't get.

Homosexualism has been around for eons. It's an unfortunate fact of life. But homosexual behavior is not normal and it flies in the face of the religious beliefs of most humans alive today. In some societies homosexuals are stoned or hanged. In civilized societies they're usually left alone and viewed as odd, or different, or silly. In this Country I think most people are willing to leave them to their own devices so long as they don't bother anybody else and it's the "bothering anybody else" part that we end up in these discussions about.

harley_52
harley_52 07/10/11 - 11:18 am
Scott-hudson.....have you

Scott-hudson.....have you ever wondered why you were asked to "help host the Pride event at the commons?" I mean given that you are a self-described "conservative Republican" and all? And why do you think they invited the mayor, and settled so graciously for Joe Bowles?

Did it ever occur to you (or Joe, for that matter) that you were being exploited? That they were using you as "proof" of their credibility and acceptability within society?

I hate to be the one to tell you this, Scott, but I don't think it was because a "conservative Republican" journalist (or a conservative politician) happens to be their role model, or even their best friend.

Have you ever seen a child sneak up behind another kid and put an "I stink" sign on the kid all the while pretending to be their friend?

Me thinks you've been had. I think you did it mainly for good and honorable reasons, but I still think you've been had.

dougk
dougk 07/10/11 - 11:19 am
Scott Hudson's involvement in

Scott Hudson's involvement in this atrocity is just like those

scott-hudson
scott-hudson 07/10/11 - 11:28 am
Harley- the funniest thing is

Harley- the funniest thing is that it was my wife that asked me to speak at the Pride event...yeah, I am being exploited alright, now she wants me to cut the grass and clean the kitchen...lol. And Joe Bowles is the Mayor Pro Tem, it is his job to show up at public events. Next?

harley_52
harley_52 07/10/11 - 11:57 am
Scott.....if you can't

Scott.....if you can't distinguish the difference between cutting grass, cleaning the kitchen, and lending credibility to a homosexual "pride" parade I can't help you. Would it similarly be Joe's job (and yours for that matter) to show up in support of a KKK "pride" parade? Both are legal (assuming the correct permits and such). I'm sure your wife is a wonderful person, so is mine. but I must say mine wouldn't ask me to publicly support something she knew I found immoral, twisted, anti-family, and anti-social.

harley_52
harley_52 07/10/11 - 12:08 pm
How about we form a club of

How about we form a club of gasoline drinkers? So far as I know, it's not illegal to sip a little gasoline now and then? What the hay? How does it hurt anybody else if I take a few snorts now and then? I'm wondering if I can get some local journalist to MC the event and one of our local politicians to open the parade and party. Maybe, if my little group so chooses, we can demand the right to "marry" a gasoline pump, or at least "marry" a mule to carry us to a gasoline supply. What would be wrong with that? If kids see us doing it often enough they might even want to give it a try themselves. I sure hope there aren't any bigots and haters that try to get in the way.

I did see a cute little mule out there in McBean the other day.....

Taylor B
Taylor B 07/10/11 - 12:23 pm
Hey harley, are you going to

Hey harley, are you going to the funeral? Im putting it on for the brain cells I lost reading your silly posts... RIP brain cells, we hardly knew you.

harley_52
harley_52 07/10/11 - 12:29 pm
No, Taylor B, I won't be

No, Taylor B, I won't be attending, sorry. Have a wonderful time. Say...if you're looking for a good MC and a local politician to lend some support ..........

harley_52
harley_52 07/10/11 - 12:29 pm
No, Taylor B, I won't be

harley_52
harley_52 07/10/11 - 12:54 pm
Me too, ww19949. Me too.

Me too, ww19949. Me too.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 07/10/11 - 01:16 pm
The more I think about it,

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 07/10/11 - 02:34 pm
Being used? What do you think

Being used? What do you think athletes are doing when they endorse products? Do you think these guys wear Nike shoes all the time? Their popularity is being USED by these companies to showcase their junk. As for having a straight pride parade- go ahead.. your straight pride goes on year round. Every time you visit your sick family member in the hospital, spouses use their health and life insurance benefits, children adopted, tax breaks... those are all straight pride parades in my eyes!

A Total Mystery
A Total Mystery 07/10/11 - 02:45 pm
MANY people in all states are

MANY people in all states are realizing that the negative attitudes against Gay people are usually based on BIGOTRY, PREJUDICE, HATE, and/or IGNORANCE, which is OVERTLY obvious when the irrational, illogical, hypocritical reasons used to deny gays equal rights are EXPOSED. I CHALLENGE anyone AFTER reading my post to give a logical or rational reason why Straights AND Gays in the U.S. should not be treated with respect and have Equal Rights (ie.. Gay Marriage, etc). And PLEASE, don’t say because of Choice, Religion, Marriage concept, Procreation, Best for child, Morals, Flaunting, Majority, all of which is addressed below.

CHOICE: I believe (as most reputable medical experts, biologists, scientists) that heterosexuality AND homosexuality is NOT a choice, but even if both orientations ARE a choice (like Religion), we allow religious people and heterosexuals Equal Rights so choice is not a rational/logical reason to deny homosexuals Equal Rights.

RELIGION - Per the U.S. Constitution, Laws MUST be adopted with a secular and NOT a religious purpose, and we have the freedom of and from religion. Separation of Church and State is applicable and there must not be any endorsement of religion by the government, so one’s religious beliefs shouldn’t prevent consenting adults from straight or gay marriage.

MARRIAGE CONCEPT - Throughout the centuries, there have been several ‘God-ordained’ concepts for marriage, and a man and a woman has not been the ONLY marriage concept. At one time, for Christians Traditional marriage was between Brothers and Sisters (ie. Cain and his wife, Abraham and Sara, etc.) For Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, and other Religions it was between 2 people Gay or Straight. For Mormons, it was one man and multiple wives. Hopefully you can see that ‘traditional’ does not mean that something should never change.

PROCREATION - Many heterosexuals and homosexuals have sex and NEVER have children for a variety of reasons (infertility, do not want children, finances, careers, age, not ready to be a parent, etc.), and there are many who are biological and adoptive parents, or parents due to IVF treatments, egg and/or sperm donation, etc.

MORALS - Whose morals, and why is their interpretation of what is moral more valid than your interpretation, or vice versa? Just because someone's morals are different does not necessarily mean yours are BETTER or WORSE. It means yours are DIFFERENT. Many people think bigotry, divorce, oral sex, and working on Sunday is immoral, but people who participate in these actions are NOT denied Equal Rights. And don’t forget, many gays and straights do some of the SAME things IN and out of bed.

BEST FOR THE CHILD - Reputable studies consistently show children raised by a gay or lesbian couple are just as well adjusted and successful as those that have a traditional mother and father. Good and bad parents are in ALL groups (gender, race, sex orientations, religion, and having straight or gay parents do not determine whether or not a child will be gay, straight. good, bad, etc.).

FLAUNTING - If heterosexuals can state their sexual orientation, acknowledge their husband, wife, significant other, family, kiss, touch, wear tight/skimpy clothing, hold hands, bump/grind, all of which is done in public, TV, videos, etc., on a DAILY basis, why cannot homosexuals have that same right?

MAJORITY -The majority of people did not want slavery to end, equal rights for women, interracial marriages, etc. If we made laws based only on the majority, many groups in the U.S. would not have equal rights. An unjust law is one that a majority compels a minority group to obey but does not make binding on ITSELF; privileged groups seldom give up their privileges voluntarily.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, but their opinion should NOT DENY others Equal Rights and the same respect they would expect from others.

dharma4peace
dharma4peace 07/10/11 - 04:02 pm
It just really cracks me up

It just really cracks me up when people say that gays want "special" rights, like they are asking for rights that no one else has. Doesn't everyone deserve the same rights such as:

Being allowed service in all public businesses (not guaranteed to gays)

Not being denied a job even though you are the most quialified

Not being terminated even though you are competent and have done nothing wrong.

Being allowed the same legal rights and privilages as other couples (even Britany Spears in her 55 hour marriage and couples who wed but do not cohabitate)

Being allowed access to your committed partner of decades when they are in the hospital.

These are just a few of many of the so called "special rights" gays are fighting for. Second thought, you know they are special, that is why those who scream that gays should be the only class of citizens to be denied these rights would scream bloody murder should they lose them themselves.

scott-hudson
scott-hudson 07/10/11 - 04:34 pm
Just My Opinion Wrote: "The

Just My Opinion Wrote: "The more I think about it, the more I think that harley is right...Scott, I think you were being used." No Sir or Mayam, and I thank the AC for allowing me this platform to refute that right here and right now. No Sir or Mayam am I nor will I ever be used by anyone ever. My convictions are well known and they are rooted in the United States Constitution. Your religion may one day be targeted by the tyranny of others and I will have the same stand as I have on this issue, your liberty is sacred. Your rights are guaranteed. Otherwise change the dang document if you don't like it. Period. Nuff said, we should be discussing more important issues like what kind of financial mess our kids are about to inherit.

RunningMan
RunningMan 07/10/11 - 05:16 pm
DougK "Scott Hudson's

DougK "Scott Hudson's involvement in this atrocity is just like those
busy-body white folk who got involved in the civil rights movement: another in-your-face unpleasantry." What kind of white folk or whatever are you? Let me guess, the kind that criticize anyone not like you. You sound just like those folks that think they are better than others just because of the color of their skin. Now that is what I call another in-your-face unpleasantry and absolute nonsense.

dougk
dougk 07/10/11 - 05:30 pm
Sorry, RunningMan. I guess

Sorry, RunningMan. I guess my attempt to be sarcastic didn't work.

DrBailey
DrBailey 07/10/11 - 06:20 pm
So many of my gay and lesbian

So many of my gay and lesbian patients need therapy not because they haven't accepted themselves, but because their families and friends have not accepted who they are. It is a wonderful thing, the gay pride day in Augusta. For one day out of the year, they feel accepted and have a chance to meet other gay families. The only thing that disappointed me were the religious groups of people out there who can't just give these folks one day of peace without feeling the need to hand out anti gay biblical tracts to people. I have no problem with people having religious beliefs, but for crying out loud, have some common decency to let these people have a day to themselves without harrassing them.

harley_52
harley_52 07/10/11 - 06:58 pm
DrBailey....don't you find it

DrBailey....don't you find it ironic that you bemoan the lack of "common decency" in the same paragraph where you offer your public support to the open practice of homosexuality.

I don't think most people have any problem with "who they are," it's "what they do" that causes all the conflict.

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.