Don't support radical gay activism

What's up with Mayor Deke Copenhaver and Augusta Commissioner Joe Bowles, along with a number of local businesses, giving endorsements, welcomes and financial and corporate support to the upcoming Gay Parade and Festival? Rather than remain neutral in this culture war, they have chosen to actively support this event.

Biblically speaking, supporting the revisionist view of Scripture to try to see this as a holy and godly event is skating on very thin ice. But then, why wouldn't they support such an event when even most of the leaders of our churches are silent on the matter or, worse, changing sides amid this spiritual battle?

In this culture battle, rarely will you find a discussion of the medical facts behind homosexuality. Permit me to give you just two.

In a March 10, 2010, report from the U.S. National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD and TB Prevention, data presented at the Center for Disease Control and Prevention's 2010 National STD Prevention Conference found the following:

• The rate of new HIV diagnoses among men who have sex with men (MSM) is more than 44 times that of other men and more than 40 times that of women.
  • The rate of primary and secondary syphilis among MSM is more than 48 times that of other men and more than 71 times that of women.

The brevity of this letter doesn't permit a continued list of all the very well-documented medical and mental health issues involved in this lifestyle. So I ask again: Why would our local leaders and businesses help promote such a lifestyle?

Canadian John McKellar leads a group called HOPE -- Homosexuals Opposed to Pride Extremism. He is deeply concerned by the radical gay agenda, though he is himself a homosexual. In one speech he states, "You don't have to engage solely in physical contact to molest a child. You can diddle with their minds and emotions and this is exactly what my radical brothers and sisters are up to."

Are our leaders so obtuse to think that promoting a gay pride parade/festival will not entice some of our youth into this lifestyle? Have you ever counseled a young person who was encouraged to experiment in the homosexual lifestyle by well-meaning "friends"? I have -- and it is no fun when they tell you they have HIV and ask the question, "Why didn't anybody tell me about the risks?"

Any civic leader or company that promotes the kind of gay activism that we will see Saturday in downtown Augusta is no friend of children. Homosexuals are not our enemy. They are our brothers and sisters. But the kind of gay activism that is being promoted would be moronic to support.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 06/20/11 - 11:22 pm
sorry, world. we have some

sorry, world. we have some skeletons in our closet here in augusta. we're trying to be cooler but we have a lot of churches that tell us jesus yelled at gay people and protested abortion clinics. they skip the parts about loving everyone from our neighbors to our enemies. too bad because that would do loads to raise the coolness factor. this here letter is about as cool as archie bunker with turret's. no, wait, that would be way cooler.

scott-hudson
scott-hudson 06/20/11 - 11:35 pm
I love to watch people trot

I love to watch people trot out statistics and then provide no data proving the numbers are empirical. 44% more than other men, where? Africa? Um....no. AIDS is rampant there among heterosexuals, but that doesn't fit into your biblical rant does it?

It was a stupid parade, get over it. There is no such thing as a radical homo agenda trying to recruit your kids. Grow up.

allhans
allhans 06/21/11 - 01:55 am
Telling a person he is wrong

Telling a person he is wrong doesn't necessarily mean you don't love them. Don't you make an attempt to correct your children when you don't agree with their actions.
Mr. Almeter has an opinion (and is entitled) as do we all.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 06/21/11 - 04:47 am
Speaking as a retailer, my

Speaking as a retailer, my answer to the question in the first sentence is, gay people's money is as good as anyone's. I think it's only sensible to welcome it.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 06/21/11 - 07:05 am
Good letter written with a

Good letter written with a good spirit. Why should we be surprised that money-loving local politicians would support such an event? As James Carville has said, "It's the economy, stupid!"

Buckeye
Buckeye 06/21/11 - 07:39 am
All I can say is WOW. This

All I can say is WOW. This has nothing to do with running around having wild unprotected sex. We are not out to corrupt your kids. The slogan this year is "love wins". Love between two people, love between a family, love between friends...and even love among a community. How can you say there is something radical about that?

Beck Tears
Beck Tears 06/21/11 - 07:53 am
Edit: I realize what I wrote

Edit: I realize what I wrote was too harsh- this letter really angered me. So allow me to approach this differently.

This is just absurd. First of all regardless of the stats and dangers, someone who is attracted to the same sex can not decide not to be gay. This seems to say that if we do not have gay pride days a whole bunch of potential homosexuals will go back to being normal, patriotic, heterosexual americans. That's not the way gay works.

Gay pride is in response to all the hatred in the world towards a group of people that the world does not seem to understand what to do with. A group of HUMAN BEINGS wants to have a celebration to show that they are not afraid of the simple act of being out in the open, and everyone wants to take it away.....

momster59
momster59 06/21/11 - 08:12 am
Yup, the AC and the

Yup, the AC and the homophobes of the Augusta area are predictable as can be. The article ran that there would again be a Parade this year, and two days later a hate filled, fear mongering letter from a homophobe is given press.

Mr. Almeter, you are cordially invited to come to this event that last year was peaceful and family friendly. The only ugliness all day was the supposedly "christians" who came spewing hate. They were pretty much left alone. I was there all day and did not lose one iota of my heterosexuality.

I found the data to which Mr. Almeter referred about infection rates of HIV. This reflects more on the need for education in our society about sex and HIV prevention than whether there is something inherently wrong with gay men. Do not confuse the numbers Mr. Almeter, those numbers reflect the infected population. And remember that if 44% of the cases are homosexual, then it also means that 56% are heterosexual. Your data is far better suited for a discussion concerning safe sex practices of all sexual orientations, the importance of sex education and the value of committed, monogamous relationships.

momster59
momster59 06/21/11 - 08:18 am
Wow! I am so surprised to

Wow! I am so surprised to learn that having a Parade and a Festival is "radical". Those Irish Catholics must be super radicals with all the parades and festivals that go on every March!

curly123053
curly123053 06/21/11 - 08:02 am
Just do as I am going to do

Just do as I am going to do and stay home.

momster59
momster59 06/21/11 - 08:13 am
duplicate post of above

duplicate post of above

dougk
dougk 06/21/11 - 08:15 am
Mr. Almeter, your letter and

Mr. Almeter, your letter and the backwards attitudes that it represents are part of the reason why people don't define Augusta as "cool."

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/21/11 - 08:19 am
Momster...I recall our debate

Momster...I recall our debate on this the other day.

'Mayor Deke Copenhaver and Augusta Commissioner Joe Bowles, along with a number of local businesses, giving endorsements, welcomes and financial and corporate support to the upcoming Gay Parade and Festival'

Financial and corporate support could have gone to better use. The city has more pressing needs doesn't it?

katzchen
katzchen 06/21/11 - 08:23 am
The majority of the American

The majority of the American People are a bunch of sheep. They follow the same direction as the one in front of them. No questions, no veer offs, no open mindedness. That is why anyone who is not middle class, white collard, Christian, 2 kids and a dog lifestyle has to be in fear. Something that is different (gay), something that you don't understand (paganism), something that is weird (the one who backpacks across the US instead of having a stable home) you shun and automatically chastise as being wrong, unethical, bad for our kids, and unholy. Wake up America, open your eyes, and come out of the slaughter queue! Just because it is not the way you live, doesn't make it wrong. Jesus says "don't judge people", silly Christian Hippocrates!

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/21/11 - 08:27 am
"white collard"? How do you

"white collard"? How do you cook them? Sounds good.

burninater
burninater 06/21/11 - 08:27 am
Therefore, by the LTE's

Therefore, by the LTE's logic, we must do all in our power to condemn the heterosexual lifestyle in favor of the lesbian lifestyle, since WSW is the least likeliest sexual behavior to transmit HIV and/or syphilis.

Buckeye
Buckeye 06/21/11 - 08:36 am
Hehe white collard. Anyway,

Hehe white collard. Anyway, guys, gals, others...this Saturday is going to be fun. If you have issues with it, please stay home. If you are honestly wondering about what goes on at these "radical" events, come on down. I'll be more than happy to show you around and keep you safe lol. I'll have my buckeye hat on, you can't miss me.

momster59
momster59 06/21/11 - 08:36 am
Patty - and I've reread the

Patty - and I've reread the thread and saw how you went from one reason for being against the parade to it finally being about money.
From the thread BEFORE you changed your stance (and your clothes too I see)

Dorian: Patty, they are not celebrating their sexuality, they are standing up and saying that they are not going to be shunned or bullied into the "closet" any more.
Patty: I disagree Dorion...I have no problem with gays or gay rights. I think gays/homosexuals have come a long way. All I'm saying now is...(as Rihanna would put it) 'just live your life'. No need to advertise your personal preferences unless you are putting it on the market.

You later quoted scripture to support your gay stance and here is what followed your use of scripture. (by the way, in a society of separation of church and state, bible thumping is not a compelling source)

JSACB: I don't see "homosexuals" anywhere in there Patty....
Patty: JesusSaves...it's in there

Also, the city is not paying for the parade and festival. Fundraising was done at last years Festival for Aids research and education and safe sex information was given. Nice attempt to disguise your true agenda, but you already gave it last time.

avidreader
avidreader 06/21/11 - 08:41 am
I am glad that my two sons

I am glad that my two sons are not gay. It's a tough badge to carry around. However, like Mr. Bowles, I have friends (both male and female) who are gay, and I appreciate them very much. From my experience with the gay community in Augusta, the vast majority are gainfully employed and contributing to our fair city. They are educated, well-read, well-traveled, and willing to give of themselves to make Augusta a better place to live. They do not commit armed robberies, deal drugs, or exist off of the federal and state governments. Most are not resentful of others who are unique and content with themselves. My down-the-street neighbors are a gay couple, and I always appreciate their willingness to be openly appreciative of their good fortune -- to be accepted as equals. So, I vote for live and let live.

tl_clay
tl_clay 06/21/11 - 08:45 am
Momster, you - my friend -

Momster, you - my friend - are amazing, and I would like to hug your brain, your heart, and you.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

momster59
momster59 06/21/11 - 08:50 am
Why thank you {{{ti_clay}}},

Why thank you {{{ti_clay}}}, I would like to return the hugs. Maybe you'll be one of the countless people I'll hug come Saturday :-D

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/21/11 - 08:54 am
Avid, well stated.

Avid, well stated.

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/21/11 - 08:56 am
Momster my post the other day

Momster my post the other day was not in being against gays or the parade. I specifically said that I felt efforts/money/etc. could have been put to better use based on the current needs of the city. You keep repeatedly trying to make me a person that is against gays and that is not what it is about at all. My stance is not about disliking gays. Don't twist my words. You are once again on the defensive. It's like me spending $100 on hair and nails when I have a broken front window in home. The money and misallocated time and efforts (no matter where it comes from) could have been put to better use.

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/21/11 - 08:57 am
Momster/ti_clay, "I think

Momster/ti_clay, "I think this is the beginning for a beautiful friendship." With apologizes to Humphrey Bogart for stealing his line.

momster59
momster59 06/21/11 - 09:02 am
Patty, I posted today the

Patty, I posted today the exact words, I have the post with the scripture attached also. Don't change your mind after the fact then claim some other reasoning. Could you please explain your first post in light of what you claimed about finances?
Patty: I'm somewhat in agreement with allhans. Do what you want in the privacy of your own homes. Why advertise it?
Truly...can someone point out the differences between 'equal rights' and 'gay rights'. There is a huge difference and we shouldn't confuse the two. I don't have a problem with gay people, but is it necessary to celebrate one's sexual orientation? Really? A celebration of such? What agenda are we really promoting? Equal rights or sexual orientation? Someone break it down for me.

Please explain this sequence which also preceded your financial response.

harley 52: I haven't seen it on the schedule, but maybe somebody here knows when the city has scheduled the Heterosexual Rights March and Festival?
Patty: harley 52...when you find out please update. Thanks.

Now, I think that you are a nice person that doesn't want to think of herself as homophobic, but you have already betrayed yourself with your words before you switched motivational reasons to object to the parade. You didn't bring up money until well into the discussion and long after these posts.

momster59
momster59 06/21/11 - 09:05 am
Patty, I used your EXACT

Patty, I used your EXACT words copied and pasted. Could you please explain to us how your words were twisted. And I do so hope you do not stoop to the level that some (both lib and cons to be fair) have done to go back and edit you posts now, because the time and date will reflect the edit.

For any that are interested in seeing whether I have twisted her words go back and read for yourself on the AC article announcing that there would be a parade.

edpaynemd
edpaynemd 06/21/11 - 09:09 am
Dan, thanks for reporting

Dan, thanks for reporting accurately on the damage that homosexuals do to themselves and others, and that God condemns it. The further that we stray from the Bible. the worse that our society will become. The disease among homosexuals is one example of what happens when we disobey God.

momster59
momster59 06/21/11 - 09:18 am
edpaynemd - did you remember

edpaynemd - did you remember to thank him for reporting accurately on the damage that the heterosexuals are doing to themselves also? A higher percentage of the STDs are among heterosexuals than homosexuals.

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/21/11 - 09:20 am
Actually, Momster it isn't

Actually, Momster it isn't just about the money, it's about what NEEDS to be promoted in the city and what's more important right now. I would say we have more issues in THIS city with violence and gangs than with gays being pushed around or mistreated. I don't have a problem with gays or a gay parade. My issue is that those that organized this parade could have promoted something more needy for the city. It's not about disliking any group its about principle. My motivational reasons to object the parade have nothing to do with homophobia. It feels like the city is attempting to mimick what's being done in other cities, not realizing that we aren't tending to the true needs of the city population at this time.
Apparently several people on this blog have a serious issue with my appearance so much that I can't even post my picuture. Maybe I should have a parade about that.

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/21/11 - 09:26 am
Momster, everything I said I

Momster, everything I said I MEAN and wouldn't change any of the words. You can read into it however you want.