Make Augusta a model of diversity

Ricardo Azziz, president of Georgia Health Sciences University, is a great medicine man. He has ridden into town to peddle his brands, but some aren't selling too well. There has been a protest about one, and another has upset some of the citizenry.

Some Augustans aren't buying the Laney-Walker Boulevard closing plan or his "cool" Augusta remarks. I hope the great medicine man will take those brands off the shelf and replace them.

On another note, one group of Augusta commissioners wants to change city government by ignoring the city charter and sneaking in the back door. The other group is saying, "Wait! You've got to go to the charter and come through the front door!"

It seems the "sneaky ones" are saying we are right and they are wrong. And the front-door commissioners are accused of gridlock, but are they wrong? This type of government hurts our great city, and we continue to lose productive citizens to nearby counties. I have noticed we are experiencing "black flight," and gaining more unproductive citizens.

Racially partisan government, mistrust and disrespect among commissioners must stop. And some of the time, the media need to stop discrediting the black commissioners for being objective about issues.

The question to be asked is: Can Augusta become a model for political and cultural diversity, or will it slip away?

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/19/11 - 10:30 pm
Augusta is a predominantly

Augusta is a predominantly black city/county now and becoming moreso with time. The blacks are going to rightfully assume leadership before long in all the important offices. Mayor, Sheriff, the majority of the Commission and the city administrator. I, personally, believe things will run much more smoothly when the transition takes place. The reason for much of the strife today is the whites controlling the majority of the population that happens to be black. That's colonialism. A relic from the old British Empire.

However, as of right now, the blacks are not in the majority on the Commission and as long as math rules don't change can't win on issues that are voted on along racial lines. So why make something such as having the administrator hire and fire an issue that divides along racial lines? The same thing for where Commission meetings are held? Why vote along racial lines? 'Explain that to me.

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 06/19/11 - 10:30 pm
Augusta will never be a model

Augusta will never be a model for diversity. We have too many people still stuck on thousand year old Bronze age mythologies to promote diversity.

soldout
soldout 06/19/11 - 10:36 pm
Augusta needs a spritual

Augusta needs a spritual revival; nothing else will fix it.

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/19/11 - 10:52 pm
Put me on the team that

Put me on the team that spends the money and I'll come up with some positive results.

momster59
momster59 06/19/11 - 11:00 pm
hahahaha soldout, Augusta

hahahaha soldout, Augusta needs a major rational thinking renovation.

Citibank, major renovations are expensive and a pain in the kiester, but once they're done they are a work of beauty. I won't say never, but it will take time, effort, and a lot of suffering to happen. However, there are pockets of enlightenment in this town, they are small but growing. Hang in there.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 06/19/11 - 11:36 pm
Doesn't matter who is in

Doesn't matter who is in charge...power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. I think the only difference will be who is in charge. Race doesn't matter. Black or white either can be racist, hateful and corrupt.

momster59
momster59 06/20/11 - 12:10 am
yup Iwannakno, irrational

yup Iwannakno, irrational beliefs and behaviors know no race, sexual orientation, economic status or religion. Bigots come in a variety of flavors.

JM88
JM88 06/20/11 - 12:53 am
Soldout is right. Not just

Soldout is right. Not just Augusta, but America in general's decline is coinciding with its continued move away from God and the strong, time-tested values that made this country great.

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 06/20/11 - 12:55 am
Let's just scrap the

Let's just scrap the government for a kingdom and call it a day.

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 06/20/11 - 12:56 am
We could also bring back

We could also bring back burnings of heretics and witches.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 06/20/11 - 05:00 am
Augusta is a miniature

Augusta is a miniature Atlanta.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/20/11 - 05:18 am
Soldout makes a personal

Soldout makes a personal opinion comment.....Citibank makes a derogatory comment told soldout.

Just another typical day on AC

Granddaddy John
Granddaddy John 06/20/11 - 06:47 am
Don't worry about any of

Don't worry about any of this,in just a few short years the illegals will be in control.

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 06/20/11 - 06:48 am
ICL, CitiBank's comment

ICL, CitiBank's comment appears first... or did I miss something?

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/20/11 - 07:43 am
Paul, citibank commented

Paul, citibank commented first but the response she gave soldout's comment has been removed. That's the problem when comments are removed, the flow of comments get distorted.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 06/20/11 - 08:27 am
Soldout, ICL, JM88, are all

Soldout, ICL, JM88, are all correct. All of our problems citywide and nationwide are a result of the condition of the heart. Cities are like families, without healthy relationships, we have nothing but diverse dysfunction. It doesn't matter how large the building or how wide the street is; it is the character of the people inside the building and crossing the street that matters.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 06/20/11 - 09:25 am
The implication that one has

The implication that one has to be a Christian to be a moral person is bigoted in and of itself.

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/20/11 - 09:49 am
Very good point Willow. "The

Very good point Willow.

"The world is changing and anyone who thinks they can get
anything meaningful done without the input of all a community's
leadership is simply not paying attention. Inclusion is more than a
buzzword. It's a necessity."
-- Dr. Jewelle Taylor Gibbs, internationally recognized sociologist and author

socks99
socks99 06/20/11 - 10:27 am
Isn't 'diversity' really code

Isn't 'diversity' really code for racial politics that includes discrimination?

Whites and blacks ought to join forces to get rid of racist elected officials and voting blocs.

Resegregating political power and the fruits of the economy according to race is passe, hurtful, and completely accepted by too many folks who know better!

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 06/20/11 - 10:22 am
Iwannakno, if you are

Iwannakno, if you are addressing my post, I have not said anywhere that a person must be a Christian to possess morals. Do not deceive yourself or others though, and see them as the same. Morals begin with self, Christianity begins with God. The difference is when we begin with self, we end with self. I have just personally found myself to be lacking in many areas and in the need of a higher authority and greater love.

countyman
countyman 06/20/11 - 10:34 am
The white mayor got over 60%

The white mayor got over 60% of the vote in two straight elections... The race of the mayor has nothing to do with anything..

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 06/20/11 - 10:34 am
No Willow my post was for

No Willow my post was for Christians who think all the laws and all behavior in their community should follow their belief and only theirs. Can't buy beer on Sunday? Why? Because Christians fill the commission chambers because they feel like their Sunday is a day that alcohol shouldn't be served. They also fill it when any business wants a liquor license. Believe whatever you want but when your beliefs infringe on others rights then you are no longer practicing your belief you are trying to force others. Freedom of religion means that the laws of the land should not be based on one religion. Should we pass a law that you can't serve pork on Fridays? How bout a few laws that deal with Sharia law? Why should laws be based only on Christianity? What about Atheists? Should we pass a law that makes it a penalty to buy the Bible? You see what a slippery slope this can become? What happens if 100 years from now a majority of Americans are Muslim? Will you follow their laws? I think everyone should follow whatever deity they want to follow and teach their children in their homes about their religion and tolerance of others but this passing of laws based on one religion and thinking everyone should just accept it is not what this country was founded on.

AndrewLafa
AndrewLafa 06/20/11 - 11:11 am
I don't see racial diversity

I don't see racial diversity as being a huge problem. I think the issue is that you have the same small group of people running the local governments year after year. Richmond County and Columbia County could benefit from electing some local officials that have not been in this area their whole lives. You really need an outsider's perspective if you want to improve the area.

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/20/11 - 11:24 am
Good point Andrew.

Good point Andrew.

JM88
JM88 06/20/11 - 12:23 pm
Iwannakno, you're going off

Iwannakno, you're going off the rails. No one here has suggested that America become a theocracy. What we're saying is that too many people in this country, on a personal level, have rejected God, and that's why we're seeing so many problems. In the old days, there was a respect for spiritual things, even among non-believers. That's out the window now.

We can reject God at our own peril. Every nation that has lost its moral compass has become destroyed. It's such a reliable historical fact that it might as well be called law.

iLove
iLove 06/20/11 - 12:40 pm
"It seems the "sneaky ones"

"It seems the "sneaky ones" are saying we are right and they are wrong. And the front-door commissioners are accused of gridlock, but are they wrong?"

No one credits the "black" commissioners. . . .but NOW PEOPLE ARE FINALLY OVERSTANDING what the "black" commissioners are doing.

Still, they "gets no love"...

"I suggest he sell an alternative plan -- two lanes and a median -- to the Laney-Walker community, and become a partner to help make greater Augusta community much "cooler." We need Dr. Azziz's vision to make Augusta another Silicon Valley. In the meantime, he may need to enroll in a good basic public relations course if he is to become successful here."

Excellent point! A couple courses in public relations would have helped. If he had included the community in the matter, I am sure there would not have been such an uproar.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 06/20/11 - 12:56 pm
Good deflection but you

Good deflection but you ignored everything I said...next someone will come on here and tell me how much they hate sin and love the sinner. Christians are more intolerant than any Muslim I have ever met. They promote peace and love as long as you buy into their theories.

Lemmywinks
Lemmywinks 06/20/11 - 02:06 pm
Nothing I love more than

Nothing I love more than people who think that if others believe in their preferred sky fairy all the problems of the world will just go away forever....

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 06/20/11 - 02:38 pm
Lemmywinks, you seem to

Lemmywinks, you seem to suffer from all or nothing thinking. I don't say that to insult you but to bring some awareness to you.

What you have stated with "people who think that if others believe in their preferred sky fairy all the problems of the world will just go away forever...." is a grand distortion of our God's truth.

He promised us there would be trouble in this world, in fact he guaranteed it, but the hope is that with Him, we will overcome the trouble and live abundently on this earth despite its difficulties.

Living with God in a personal relationship means I get to enjoy the day or night regardless of my difficult circumstances or how someone else feels. I get to be hopefull and happy in the middle of a cancer diagnosis. Absolutely, NO ONE gets to decide my day for me. It's really good when you can experience hope and joy in the middle of trouble. What do you experience when things get rough?

I want to tell you that I didn't get my outlook on life and God from a church, though, I got it through real and healthy relationships from real and honest people...a Jesus in blue jeans. so to speak.

Sounds like you and some others may have been brought up with legalism and it turned you off from God. I can't say as I blame you for that; when I experience that from someone in the name of God, I am sickened, too.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 06/20/11 - 02:52 pm
I agree with your last

I agree with your last statement Willow.

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen