Expect 'acts of God' on sinful world

Americans have not yet given any indication that they would like recent "acts of God" to be stopped. There has been no national repentance; there have been no plans to reverse those steps that have been taken to ban God and his Word from our society.

What in the world could induce God to stop his wrath, I cannot for the life of me imagine. "Ignore him, and he'll go away" has not worked. He's still there, and just a little more provoked by the insolence of those who hate him and refuse to acknowledge his holiness and righteousness.

"Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil," the Bible warns (Exodus 23:2). God can punish by tens, thousands and millions. People vainly imagine because there is a unanimous sentimentality to doing evil, they will get by with it, but no one shall escape.

George Mason, Father of the Bill of Rights, said, "Providence punishes national sins by national calamities." Sinners must flee to the Lord Jesus Christ in humility, repentance, faith and obedience to his Word, the Bible, or He will destroy every last person.

The Creator has promised, "Heaven and Earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away" (Mark 13:31). The holy people of God are looking "for new heavens and a new earth wherein dwelleth righteousness" (II Peter 3:13). "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death" (Revelation 21:8).

It looks like greater "acts of God" are to be expected on a local, national and global scale. Who is making preparations?

The Rev. Timothy Fellows

Aiken, S.C.

(The writer is pastor of The Church of Philadelphia in Aiken.)

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 06/09/11 - 04:12 pm
Yes, follower and ICL, good

Yes, follower and ICL, good response and biblically correct.

freeuniversalist
freeuniversalist 06/09/11 - 04:19 pm
ICL, I'm telling you there is

ICL, I'm telling you there is no interpretation for forever or eternity, or multiple forevers or multiple eternities. My spell checker even tells me both are incorrect. Jesus was sent to save the "whole world". The Bible makes that clear so many times. I think most "Christians" get hung up on that God would indeed create such a miserable an unhappy world, but look at it from another perspective. Should we believe God tried to create a good creation but was unsuccessful and also wasn't aware of it's potential to go haywire? God either lacks the compassion for humanity or he lacks the power and ability. But either way it disowns God’s sovereignty and presents us with a God Who either CANNOT or WILL NOT STOP THE INSANITY! Most Christians would have us believe that God’s solution to rid the world of sin and evil is to torture most of humanity in fire for all eternity.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/09/11 - 04:31 pm
Nice cut and paste

Nice cut and paste freeuniversalist....I've read those exact same words in our Sunday School text concerning lies we are told. Too bad I don't have the complete text with me.

Yes, Jesus came to save the whole world but you forget, He also gives us freedom to choose. God did create a perfect creation but to say he was unsuccessful is false. He succeed, man messed it up. If you paint a beautiful portrait and someone spills oil on it, the protrait may be ruined but the painter still created a beautiful portrait. God neither lacks compassion, power or ability. God can stop the insanity, but He chooses not to. Not because He is not compassionate but what good is free will if you do not have the freedom to choose. God does not send us to hell, we send ourselves by disobediance and refusal to submit to a high authority. God is perfect and can not look upon sin, that is why He provides salavation. He is the sacrifice needed to wash us clean of sin so we can have a relationship with Him.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 06/09/11 - 04:32 pm
freeuniversalist, God will

freeuniversalist, God will not contradict His Character in order to seem more logical to the world. He loves the world and yes He does not want anyone to perish. But a love relationship cannot be forced. We all must make a choice whether we want His love and are willing to serve Him forever. If one chooses not to love God then it only stands to reason they will spend eternity with the devil and his fallen angels. Jesus spoke of Hell quite often. There is a choice and we are not all saved on our way to heaven unless we admit we are sinners, receive Christ as our Savior and then are born again as a new creation.

freeuniversalist
freeuniversalist 06/09/11 - 04:38 pm
I admitted I cut and paste

I admitted I cut and paste from the Adam Clark Bible commentary. My last post was not copied and pasted and how would I know what you get from your bible study class? Please provide biblical proof as I have provided. You also missed my point entirely. Your analogy takes away from God's sovereignty and places it in the hands of mankind. This is also not found anywhere in the Scriptures.

freeuniversalist
freeuniversalist 06/09/11 - 04:44 pm
Scoop, please read my post on

Scoop, please read my post on interpretation of hell. Jesus never speaks of a place where people burn for eternity. He speaks of Gehenna fire. Gehenna was a garbage dump south of Jeruselem. That is one interpretation of hell. It would take much time to explain why Jesus gives this special warning to his disciples to "not fear those who are killing the body, but those who are able to kill the soul. Yet fear him who is able to destroy the soul as well as the body in Gehenna."

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 06/09/11 - 04:49 pm
Luke 9:23 "If any man come

Luke 9:23 "If any man come after let him deny himself and come after me. John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life." Matthew 16:19-31 Jesus shares the story of a man named Lazarus who was poor but saved a lost rich man. "Now the poor man died and was carried away by the angels to Abraham's bosom but the rich man died and was buried and being in Hades He cried out and said 'Have Mercy on me and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue for I am in agony in this flame." THIS IS NOT A TRASH DUMP!

These verses clearly indicate a choice we have to make. There is a place called hell a place of agony and pain. "Whosoever shall call upon the Lord shall be saved". If we don't call on the Lord we are not saved.

These verses are clear that there are two eternal destinies and that we chose which place we will be in.

freeuniversalist
freeuniversalist 06/09/11 - 04:54 pm
The story of Lazarus and the

The story of Lazarus and the rich man was a parable. We know this because it follows 4 other parables. Jesus tells them one right after the other. This also does not prove that there is an eternal hell. The old testament talks about all of the old patriarchs from Abraham to David and tells that they will go to the grave (Sheol in Hebrew - equivalent to Greek Hades), and lay down with their ancestors. We know that the grave is the "impenetrable, the unseen, where there is no knowledge.." Both Lazarus and the rich man are in their grave awaiting judgement, like the rest of us will be, with the exception for the Manifest Son's of God that are predestined and chosen by God, to be judged on Earth, in this age. This is in complete harmony with Scripture.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 06/09/11 - 04:54 pm
freeuniversalist, If all will

freeuniversalist,
If all will be in heaven, regardless of their heart condition and relationship to Christ, heaven will be a miserable place just like this earth, both sinful and painful. God has promised us something far better.

You believe in God. Pray about your beliefs, ask God to make His truth known to you. I don't know when or how, but He truly will.

freeuniversalist
freeuniversalist 06/09/11 - 05:02 pm
Willow Bailey, Pray that God

Willow Bailey,
Pray that God will open your eyes to the truth of God saving all of mankind. Everyone will be judged in the "Lake of Fire" judgement, but will come out as perfect as God wants them to be. God purifies with fire and brimstone. If you look up brimstone, it is a purifying agent, also a poor conductor of heat. Also, heaven isn't a literal place, kind of like hell isn't (two different contexts, though). Although, mankind does eventually receive immortality after his is judged. Judgement will pretty much be a smiley face for everyone. :)

dougk
dougk 06/09/11 - 05:07 pm
You're right, Willow. I

You're right, Willow. I always said that living in heaven with those who are so darned sure they are going, would be hell.

freeuniversalist
freeuniversalist 06/09/11 - 05:08 pm
It was very nice chatting

It was very nice chatting with all of you, though. That is about as much as I can handle for the day, especially with no backup. I guess there aren't a lot of Christian Univeralists out there. There are absolutely plenty of fundamentalist. It doesn't matter though, I enjoy it, as I know some of you do too. Regardless of our opinion or what we interpret as fact, know that I hold no resentment and will always try to be fair when debating. Have a nice day, all.

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 06/09/11 - 05:15 pm
Yeah all of you Christians

Yeah all of you Christians keep patting in each other on the back about how superior your faith is to everyone else and how if every nation in the world doesn't accept it then damn them all. I'm done with you.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 06/09/11 - 05:20 pm
There's no doubt, gonna be a

There's no doubt, gonna be a lot of ragamuffins on the roll call, dougk. I am praying to be one of them!

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/09/11 - 05:23 pm
In Matthew, Jesus said "and

In Matthew, Jesus said "and then will I profess to them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity." Doesn't sound like all of us are going to spend eternity with Christ.

Also I fail to see where my comment takes away from God's sovereignty. Sovereignty in relation to God means that God has the absolute right to do with His creation as He desires. Romans 8:34 and Hebrews 7:25 both speak of Christ making "intercession" for us before God the Father. So obviously He can look upon our sin.

I do believe I have backed up my comments with biblical scripture time and again.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/09/11 - 05:26 pm
Citibank, it's not a matter

Citibank, it's not a matter of superiority. It's a matter of, we know how it ends and do not want anyone to perish in hell (not even you). There is no patting on the back with boastful pride, we just don't want to see anyone spend eternity without the love of Christ.

freeuniversalist
freeuniversalist 06/09/11 - 05:34 pm
And how, ICL, do you know

And how, ICL, do you know that will not be you who Christ tells to depart from him? I see Christ telling that to a lot of people during judgement who just knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that they were followers of Christ, but were not. This verse doesn't contradict the verses I have provided. The context is there, you just fail to see the entire picture. Yes, Christ will tell many that exact thing. He will then send them to the "lake of fire" judgement where they will be purified with fire. This does not prove that Christ will send them to Gehenna fire hell.
Secondly, it does take away the sovereignty of God. Everything that has happened was suppose to happen, and everything that will happen is suppose to happen. Mankind cannot change the world or his own destiny without him holding some sort of sovereign will. The Father is the only one who possesses that sort of sovereignty. Okay, done. Haha

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 06/09/11 - 05:51 pm
free, Jesus would not make up

free, Jesus would not make up something that does not exist in order to just teach a truth. I hold not resentment to you either but I am deeply concerned for you because the Bible is directly opposed to this teaching of "everyone goes to heaven" theory.
Jesus said in Matthew 7:13, ""Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it." I guess destruction doesn't mean the same as hell to you does it but it is the same my friend.

dougk, you better read that last verse and give some thought to it. It is not opinionated to tell the truth with passion.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/09/11 - 05:53 pm
I'm glad you find this

I'm glad you find this discussion amusing but actually it's very serious.

You asked how I know. Because freeuniversalist....I have accepted Christ as my Lord and Savior and I'm a child of God. I have faith in His Word and promise. There is no doubt where I will spend eternity and that is with my Heavenly Father.

Where in scripture does it say that after Christ divides his children from the non-believers, he refines the unsaved?

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 06/09/11 - 05:55 pm
Amen ICL, I will be there

Amen ICL, I will be there with you because the blood of Jesus covers my sins and I have accepted His Son, Jesus, into my heart as my Lord and Savior.

dougk
dougk 06/09/11 - 05:56 pm
Believe me, Scoop. You're

Believe me, Scoop. You're OK, I'm OK. Please don't fret about MY eternal damnation or not.....that's what ticks me off.

freeuniversalist
freeuniversalist 06/09/11 - 06:01 pm
Every man’s work shall be

Every man’s work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by FIRE; and the fire shall try every man’s work of what sort it is. If any man’s work abide which he has built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man’s work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself SHALL BE SAVED; yet so as by fire" (I Cor. 3:12-15).

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/09/11 - 06:04 pm
freeuniversalist, this

freeuniversalist, this scripture refers to believers in Christ, not all of mankind. If you are a child of God and have no works to show for the Lord, you are still saved but your reward in heaven will not be the same as someone who has spent their entire born-again life working to please God.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/09/11 - 06:09 pm
Read the whole scriptures.

Read the whole scriptures. Verse 16 says "Do you not know that you] are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you? 17If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him. For God’s temple is holy, and you are that temple.

God's spirit does not dwell in the unsaved soul so Paul is speaking to the Christians.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/09/11 - 06:10 pm
dougk, why would it tick you

dougk, why would it tick you off for someone to care enough about you to be concerned about your eternal destiny?

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 06/09/11 - 06:12 pm
freeuniversalist, You asked

freeuniversalist, You asked ICL..."And how, ICL, do you know that will not be you who Christ tells to depart from him?"

I can't answer for ICL. I can only tell you where my comfort comes from is in God's own Word. Please reference 1 John 5: 13-15

"I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life."

"This is the confidence we have in approaching God that if we ask anything according to HIS WILL, he hears us."

"And if we know that he hears us, whatever we ask we know that we have what we asked of him."

I don't believe that either your misunderstandings of God's Word or mine will be the deal breaker. None of us have to get it all right, except for the part of confession and asking and accepting salvation through Jesus Christ our Savior with a pure motivation. God will work the rest of it out in us through our own personal journey.

Most of us come to Christ with either legalist or licentious thinking and behavior. It takes God to work in us through our circumstances and relationships to become who He created us to become.
We are all a work in progress.

I thank God, that He didn't leave me to squirm, fear, worry and wonder. He wants me to have an abundant life and confidence in Him and His Word.

freeuniversalist
freeuniversalist 06/09/11 - 06:15 pm
"EVERY MAN'S work shall be

"EVERY MAN'S work shall be made manifest..."

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/09/11 - 06:21 pm
"Every mans work shall be

"Every mans work shall be made manifest..." Paul is talking to the believers at the church of Corinth.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 06/09/11 - 06:23 pm
What do you believe that

What do you believe that means?

dougk
dougk 06/09/11 - 06:25 pm
ICL.....because I don't

ICL.....because I don't BELIEVE that Christ is the sole answer to the salvation that you speak of.