Azziz's proposals get a cool reception

First Georgia Health Sciences University President Ricardo Azziz wanted to change the Medical College of Georgia from an institution whose mission was to train doctors for Georgia into a big research factory.

Then he wanted to change the patients that it cared for from the sick in Augusta to "medical tourists" from places such as California.

Now he wants all of Augusta to become "cool" so that he can recruit some cool researchers ("Augusta lacks 'cool' factor for recruits," June 7).

The mandate of leadership is to transform an institution, not trash its community. It is time for Ricardo to move to someplace cool.

Paul Fischer, M.D.

Evans

soldout
soldout 06/08/11 - 06:24 am
As our nation's morals

As our nation's morals decline it effects every area including the medical field. Lots of good men are doctors but the greed and deceit from many drug companies are destroying the morals and purpose of many in the medical field. A few good people are holding our institutions and our country together and I am very thankful for those.

WW1949
WW1949 06/08/11 - 07:03 am
I liked Dr . Fischer the

I liked Dr . Fischer the second he walked into the room. He cares and that is what a doctor should be like. Cool isn't it. I am way past that and so is he.I don't know about the other one

seabeau
seabeau 06/08/11 - 07:25 am
While Azziz and his cronies

While Azziz and his cronies rake in the BIG BUCKS many of the rank and file at MCG have seen no raises in OVER TEN YEARS. Out with these chumps.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 06/08/11 - 08:26 am
Dr. Azziz is right that

Dr. Azziz is right that Augusta doesn't offer some of the diverse activities that some places have. "Cool" things to him. It's fine for him to encourage entrepreneurs to look at Augusta for opening up shop. I fail to see what other residents can do about it. Everyone is not interested in opening an art gallery, Fusion cafe, etc.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/08/11 - 08:26 am
It is amazing, WW1949, Yours

It is amazing, WW1949, Yours and my first impression of the good doctor are the same. After 8 years as his patient I still feel the same. I also have the same feeling as he does about Dr Azzzzzzzizz. See, his name even puts me asleep. Its not surprising that Dr. Fischer and the Aces have different views on this matter. The ACES has never seen an expensive project that they don't like. I often wonder why. An aside to Dr. Fischer. The pain patch that you prescribed for my back ailment have made a new man of me. Keep up the good work.

superboyjazz
superboyjazz 06/08/11 - 10:47 am
I'm always amused at how

I'm always amused at how easily our little feelings get hurt and how educated people let that effect their ability to intellectually handle a situation. Dr. Fishers comments aren't far from how my 13 yr old would handle the situation. Dr. Azziz never said that the PEOPLE of Augusta are uncool. He said the city, as in things to do, other than go to a bar. Anyone who thinks that the students looking at GHSU don't look at Augusta is ignorant. The city has to be attractive to them to get them to come here. They are not 30 yr olds with 2.3 kids and looking for white picket fences in Columbia county. They are in their 20s and looking for a school that is in a cool city with lots of things to offer them. This has nothing to do with the people of Augusta. Nor do I believe that he means the whole CSRA should cater to this students, he just wants see Augusta to improve it's attractiveness. Before anyone gets their little feelings hurt again, I'm not saying the people or the city is ugly by using the word attractiveness. I use that word meaning, Augusta has to offer them a type of life style they are looking for. If we don't want to offer that to them, then we can lose them. That may be okay with some people, but then we lose the school, the jobs of the 6000+ people employed there (who will now be fighting for your job), and the extra revenue generated by students and researchers that move to Augusta. UGA is already begging for it.

galaxygrl
galaxygrl 06/08/11 - 12:28 pm
Thank you Dr. Fischer, you

Thank you Dr. Fischer, you said it better than I could!

galaxygrl
galaxygrl 06/08/11 - 12:38 pm
superjazzboy, I lived in

superjazzboy, I lived in Atlanta when my child was born and we chose to come back to Augusta because it is a great place to raise a family.
I am thinking most doctors that are of an age to be doing research are also far enough along in there lives to have at least a husband or wife and maybe children. If you are raising a family this is an awesome place to be. The CSRA offers excellent education to students in both counties, where you can choose a magnet school or suburb education. Also Azziz wants researchers not students, perhaps you should go back and read his manifesto again.

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/08/11 - 01:06 pm
Actually most are in their

Actually most are in their 30's with a couple of kids. Think about it 4 years college, then 4-6 years PhD (add a couple more if old school MS first) then one or two postdocs before their first assistant professor position. Most are looking for a good place to raise kids that isn't culturally dead. Augusta is a reflection of its population so in order to make it cool you will need some major change in population demographics-supply and demand. Azzis is much like the last president with the field of dreams philosophy. He thought bringing in a bunch of Yaley's into the IMMAG research would flourish. Well obviously it didn't work. Making Augusta cool still won't solve the problem of staffing these brilliant young scientist labs because under educated unskilled labor just won't cut it. Think about it. We make our environment so as "cool" people come in, then cool things will likely happen. Not the cart before the horse.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/08/11 - 01:30 pm
superboyjazz, no one has

superboyjazz, no one has their"little" feelings hurt as you so childishly put it. Most of us love Augusta and are open to constructive criticism but it must be expressed in a more definitive , adult manner than Augusta isn't "cool", whatever that means.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 06/08/11 - 01:51 pm
Really scoobydoisback, he

Really scoobydoisback, he made it sound like everyone is a little too touchy, but he used the "little feelings" twice and "ignorant" once. So he sounded touchy, which could make one miss some positive imput he may be offering. We all want Augusta to be attractive and to offer a nice lifestyle, so cleaning up sidewalks and medians, cracking down on crime and maintaining what we already have, such as River Walk, etc. is a great place to start. If the local governments/DDA's etc. will be good stewards of our tax dollars, not waste countless dollars on absurd "studies" and such, they could apply more money to improving our infrastructure. That would make more private business want to invest in our area.

socks99
socks99 06/08/11 - 02:19 pm
Time will tell and the proof

Time will tell and the proof is in the pudding.

My observation and expectation is that the 'bubble' in higher education, including medical education, will increase the costs of that education while lowering the quality.

In fact, this continues a trend we already see. As costs of training doctors and others rise, fewer will be trained. Those higher costs will translate into more expensive medical care.

One reason the 'quality' of training might decline is because many medical professors will move to other schools if they believe the 'mission' of the school is compromised or 'sold-out' to hucksterism and vague, counter-productive notions. Those not 'on-board' will be systematically 'weeded-out,' and only those who support much costlier medical education and its associated higher reimbursements will remain.

In essence, the Regent's, like the already discredited lords of finance, are gambling with higher education. Enjoy the hubris while it lasts!

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/08/11 - 03:28 pm
augusta citizen. I could not

augusta citizen. I could not agree more. The truth of the matter I got my "little' feelings hurt when he slammed one of the finest doctors in this area. To compare Dr Fischer's intellect to his 13 year old goes beyond the pale unless, of course,he is like some parents who think theirs are just short of genius.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/08/11 - 03:47 pm
I just saw something funny.

I just saw something funny. There is an ad in the middle of the ACES editorial endorsing Dr. Azzzzzizzzz's statement about 'Not Cool" .The ad was placed by the Center for Primary Care which Dr. Fischer founded.

createyourfuture
createyourfuture 06/08/11 - 09:17 pm
Dr. Azziz has a well-founded

Dr. Azziz has a well-founded point. Augusta is not a city where new topflight medical people want to settle. When you have to compete with new cities that are growing their medical universities, such as Grand Rapids, Michigan, we have to make Augusta more attractive to those who we wish to recruit.
For example, there are now 40 slots in Athens at UGA for medical students. How many of those who are the best and brightest students from UGA, will elect to stay in Athens, rather than move to Augusta? Many. Why? Because Athens is a town that is much more attractive to students and professors alike than is Augusta.
Another example is Greenville, SC. This city is vibrant and full of things to do both in their downtown area and further out. They are putting in a new medical school there, much to the chagrin of MUSC in Charleston, and USC in Columbia. They have a great arena and a downtown baseball stadium that draws great crowds.
If you are going to recruit the best and the brightest to your institution, whether GHSU, a local or regional business, ASU, government positions, you need the kind of community where executives thrive; if your city does not meet their needs, they will go elsewhere.
Everyone I meet in the downtown business community has said the same thing, "Augusta has been on the cusp for 15 years." So when will we get past "the cusp"? We need enlightened government to stop wasting money and make the city attractive. We need a workable public transit system, which includes Columbia County. WE need people to invest in the downtown area and get rid of the vacant lots. Downtown has to look cleaner!!!!
We can work together and move forward, or we can stay stuck in the 20th century and stagnate, what is your choice?

Pu239
Pu239 06/08/11 - 11:08 pm
My heart swoons knowing that

My heart swoons knowing that we are in the presence of visionaries that have all the answers to make Augusta "thriving and vibrant." I wonder how many of those 6000 employees mentioned make 25% of what a mid level administrator makes? I have to ask again...where are funds going to come from to increase the COOL quotient?

Ben There
Ben There 06/13/11 - 04:43 pm
I agree with Dr. Azziz that

I agree with Dr. Azziz that Augusta is lacking in the "coolness" factor. And something GHSU is lacking in is the quantity and quality of student housing.
Solution: Build and or renovate "single" student housing in downtown Augusta and businesses will spring up to cater and entertain them. Start with renovating the Marion Building. Then start buying a few blocks of houses in Harrisburg, renovate them, and put students with spouses and families in them. Downtown and Harrisburg will definitely become "cooler" places if that were ever to happen!

Former commissioner's case remains under review

While former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith's statements to Georgia State Patrol investigators likely can't be used against him, the state Office of the Inspector General continues to conduct ...