Colleges pushing secular humanism

Perhaps the dominant theme of recent editorials in The Augusta Chronicle has been President Obama, Democrats and the economy. Virtually getting a free ride are two local major institutions: Augusta State University and the Georgia Health Sciences University. ASU is an officially secular (humanist) institution. Conservative biblical Christianity is anathema to the campus, as recently evidenced by the counseling-psychology debate. Evangelical Christians are put down in class, and belief in the Bible as knowledge is severely criticized, if at all allowed to be mentioned.

The teachings of GHSU are more subtle. The official stance of modern medicine is secular humanism, and any opposition to evolution is just not allowed in its "scientific" literature. Medicine embraces homosexuality and sexual perversion in all its forms under the banner of being "nonjudgmental." The campus honors Earth Day and World AIDS Day -- celebrations of humanists -- but it would absolutely forbid a prayer "in Jesus' name."

They may claim separation of church and state, but that is a tired refrain that has no constitutional basis, and denies their own religious commitment. As secular institutions, their strong and bold statement of faith lies in man without God. Of course, the same ideology exists on campuses in all 50 states.

While The Chronicle, Tea Partiers and true conservatives rail against Obama, Democrats and their effects on the economy, these institutions continue to pour out graduates indoctrinated in secular humanism. We, as a nation, will never be "under God" and solve what ails us until we understand the comprehensive evil that exists among us.

ASU and GHSU are getting free rides in their support of these problems that are destroying our country.

Ed Payne, M.D.

Augusta

dougk
dougk 06/01/11 - 05:49 pm
I really do...she/he always

I really do...she/he always said we could find common ground....and I'm convinced of it now. I'm not so sure we could, ICL....the self-righteousness is just too much.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/01/11 - 06:06 pm
self-righteousness??? You

self-righteousness??? You are so sadly mistaken but that doesn't bother me. When you have no other response, just post something nasty..........seems to make you feel better and superior.

dougk
dougk 06/01/11 - 06:15 pm
I have no need, whatsoeve,r

I have no need, whatsoeve,r to feel superior over anyone else...do I hear cheers from you, Icl, I doubt it.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/01/11 - 06:18 pm
dougk, you may have no need

dougk, you may have no need but appearance tells another story. Neither cheers or tears.

dougk
dougk 06/01/11 - 06:45 pm
well, thankfully this thread

well, thankfully this thread will be gone tomorrow....and we both can rest easy

MJ-12
MJ-12 06/02/11 - 02:08 pm
When I think of the religious

When I think of the religious right - this is what always comes to mind:

I catch more grief from Republicans (and Tea partier's) when it comes to my opposition against their religious agendas in this countries government affairs and I want the...m to knock it off! - both sides, I might add.

But the Republicans and the Tea partiers's are the worst offenders.

Yes. There are many Democrats who infiltrate and preach religion in the greater scheme of politics. "Our country was founded on religion and Christian principles" is something I hear a lot.

I'll be the first to admit that I am a non-believer (although I once was). My "problem" is not that others choose to believe, although I disagree with their interpretation of the logic that persuades them to believe. Still, it is not Republican's or Democrat's or Tea partier's belief in a God that infuriates me. It is their persistence in telling me that I am wrong not to believe - and then to preach to me and others that I must, or else. - And if I don't, then "have mercy on my soul" because they will surely weave their God-minded agenda into the fabric of my life 'til hell won't have it, and then into in every facet and form of Law and government to the point that I should be an outcast in society for not believing in what they believe - I am a "Godless heathen."

Even George Herbert Walker Bush openly stated that an Atheist is not patriotic and that Atheist's are not considered as citizens of the United States, as far as he is concerned. He went on to say that an Atheist should never be allowed to hold any office within the U.S. government.

Really?

Within the issues of, Gay Rights, Abortion, Child molestation within the Catholic church and not a single one of them served a prison term, my right NOT to pray in public forums, and the list goes on and on... it is often religion/religious beliefs that irresponsibly take center stage in the name of a "higher moral ground."

Religion is ANYTHING but "moral." It has been the source of murder, oppression, torture, mayhem and destruction since it's invention. Take a good look at Israel - and it was religious belief that is responsible for the destruction of the Twin Towers in New York city and the Pentagon incident that claimed more than 3,000 innocent lives.

Like sex - I don't care what people do in their bedroom. I don't care if people want to believe in God. But please close the church doors and pray then! Just STOP cramming your beliefs down my throat every time I walk out into the public square - and keep it out of my government affairs!

How is it that I am asking or expecting too much (from either side) by insisting that people keep their privately held religious beliefs and agendas separate from Church and State - and to keep their religion out of government politics and out of government public affairs?

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/02/11 - 02:23 pm
MJ, obviously you didn't

MJ, obviously you didn't write this. It is a c/p job. But the comment you copied as it relates to President Bush's statement is not true. You should research the work you "borrow" before posting it.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/02/11 - 02:39 pm
' But please close the church

' But please close the church doors and pray then"

Why should Christians (or any religion) have to go behind closed doors to pray. Do these not have the same rights as you? Do they not also have the right to opening speak the name of Jesus or whomever their god is. If someone who worships the earth wanted to give praise, would you tell them they have to go inside a building to worship nature?

MJ-12, you made the statement that you once were a believe but not now. I say that you were never a believer in the heart. You might have had head knowledge of Christ but you never had a personal relationship with Him. If you had, you would still be a believer. You may have belonged to a church and went through the motions of being a believer but a true conversion as a child of God is permanent.

freeuniversalist
freeuniversalist 06/03/11 - 11:58 am
So, ICL, you agree that

So, ICL, you agree that people who are of other religions and not just Christianity that should be able to pray in public too? I agree that if Christian prayer is mandated, like I think you're saying, then other representatives of other religions should have the same right to do the same thing. After the Christian kid prays, then maybe the Buddhist kid, then the Muslim, then the Wiccan, etc. Then we can take up the entire 1st period of middle and high school class appeasing everyone, making sure everyone is prayed up. Also, if public schools were mandated to teach creationism, we'd have to teach every religion's creation story. I remember, they did have a class like that. It was called Mythology and they even taught the 7 day creation of Genesis. Or we could have silent reflection for the 1st minute of class. Do you have a better suggestion?

skeptic griggsy
skeptic griggsy 06/03/11 - 03:02 pm
No official reports

No official reports maintained back then that global cooling would ensue! Global warming-deniers rather look askance at the real facts on which we empiricists rely but rather rely on known nonsense! The economy must embrace global warming,not only to handle it, but also to spur job growth!
We liberals just love real capitalism for the many!
Biblical reality is just nonsensical as that execrable anthology contradicts itself and -reality! We empiricists know that natural forces rather than supernatural ones work!

Historic building on Laney campus demolished

The demolition of the 89-year-old Cauley-Wheeler building on the Lucy C. Laney High School campus is over, but the plan for a building that will act as a link to the former site and its story has ...