Colleges pushing secular humanism

Perhaps the dominant theme of recent editorials in The Augusta Chronicle has been President Obama, Democrats and the economy. Virtually getting a free ride are two local major institutions: Augusta State University and the Georgia Health Sciences University. ASU is an officially secular (humanist) institution. Conservative biblical Christianity is anathema to the campus, as recently evidenced by the counseling-psychology debate. Evangelical Christians are put down in class, and belief in the Bible as knowledge is severely criticized, if at all allowed to be mentioned.

The teachings of GHSU are more subtle. The official stance of modern medicine is secular humanism, and any opposition to evolution is just not allowed in its "scientific" literature. Medicine embraces homosexuality and sexual perversion in all its forms under the banner of being "nonjudgmental." The campus honors Earth Day and World AIDS Day -- celebrations of humanists -- but it would absolutely forbid a prayer "in Jesus' name."

They may claim separation of church and state, but that is a tired refrain that has no constitutional basis, and denies their own religious commitment. As secular institutions, their strong and bold statement of faith lies in man without God. Of course, the same ideology exists on campuses in all 50 states.

While The Chronicle, Tea Partiers and true conservatives rail against Obama, Democrats and their effects on the economy, these institutions continue to pour out graduates indoctrinated in secular humanism. We, as a nation, will never be "under God" and solve what ails us until we understand the comprehensive evil that exists among us.

ASU and GHSU are getting free rides in their support of these problems that are destroying our country.

Ed Payne, M.D.

Augusta

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 05/31/11 - 11:50 pm
Speaking up for your beliefs

Speaking up for your beliefs is one thing, imposing your beliefs on others is another. We have separation of church and state in the first amendment of our Constitution. Public schools/institutions funded by all taxpayer's dollars are not to advocate any one religion over another. If you wish to go to a school that adheres to your warped sense of belief there are PLENTY of private religious schools you can attend.

I swear some of your beliefs are that "You can have freedom as long as you believe the same as I do."

Willow Bailey
20618
Willow Bailey 06/01/11 - 12:30 am
SavesAtCitiBank, For the

SavesAtCitiBank, For the record, you and anyone else can believe whatever you choose. I believe in freedom of choice which includes my right to say and pray whenever and wherever I choose.

It is not Christians who impose on the rights of the secular, it is the opposite. Additionally, separation of church and state was not originally meant as it is now interpreted. Much like the Obama twists interpretations of the Constitution.

And while we are on the subject of keeping Christian prayer out of schools, let us remember the one who gave that to us, Madalyn Murray OHair. She went on to create her own organization, American Atheists, Inc., where one of her faithful followers kidnapped and killed her, along with other family members. What a pity; she had no God to comfort her or receive her sorry soul into eternity.

And what is up with your avatar?

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 06/01/11 - 12:41 am
It’s so bad the lamestream

It’s so bad the lamestream media can't even let the truth be known about this.
Hint; it has caused crime and every social ill to go up over 2,000%, but we can’t talk about it because it’s not PC…

freeuniversalist
freeuniversalist 06/01/11 - 12:58 am
@ICL You said, "As for human

@ICL You said, "As for human immorality...I do not think we are better off with slavery and do not think demeaning people is moral either. Why should this be an either/or issue."

Remember, the point you were trying to make was that society was getting progressively worse. That is why it is an either/or issue. Obviously slavery isn't a current issue by any means. I think the point dougk was trying to make was that since slavery was so morally reprehensible, that maybe society isn't getting progressively worse as you suggest. Actually, I think the opposite. People have more freedoms than they ever have before, worldwide; as opposed to the many monarchies and oligarchies that ruled with the iron hand of religion throughout many ages past. So for you to suggest that society has never been worse is just your narrow perspective on how the world goes 'round.

freeuniversalist
freeuniversalist 06/01/11 - 01:27 am
@Willow Baley - You seem to

@Willow Baley - You seem to be in favor of prayer in schools, yet I see in your statement is basically you reveling in the fact that a person was brutally kidnapped and murdered and has met some sort of negative outcome in their death, and ultimately their eternal separation from god. I'm sure I read the context wrong, and that you're not happy, just another concerned Christian. Spare me, please.

The last time I checked, there was still a silent reflection at school. That is appropriate enough for all people of faith to exercise their faith at that moment. When I pray to the God I believe in, I believe he is powerful enough to even hear my most quietest prayer/thought. The nonexistence of religion in public institutions isn't indoctrination, it's the lack thereof. Teaching Young Earth Creationism with basis in Genesis only, with no scientific validation is indoctrination. That's the epitome of indoctrination. I actually do believe in intelligent design but as someone said in a previous post, science and god are not comparable. Science is just human interpretation for God's creation.

Willow Bailey
20618
Willow Bailey 06/01/11 - 01:48 am
freeuniversalist, a more apt

freeuniversalist, a more apt comparison would be within our own society. So, just wondering about your perspective...Considering, society, as we have lived and known it over the last 50 years, what is your opinion? Do you think people are more caring and responsible toward their families and others, or less? Do you think there is more or less crime among youth? Youth incarceration, more or less? Do you think there is more or less compassion for the elderly? Do you think the family is stronger or weaker? What about crimes on family members by other family members, more or less? Do you see more or less divorce? Do you see more or less drug use? What about prescription drug use for depression, anxiety, other mental disorders; more or less? What about the suicide rate, more or less? What about the work ethic, more or less? What about the sense of personal entitlement vs. taking personal responsiblity, more or less?

freeuniversalist
freeuniversalist 06/01/11 - 02:29 am
Considering our society has

Considering our society has only been around about 250 years I would think we need to learn from other countries. You make a lot of assumptions on what I, or anyone else, consider moral. Such as your assumption about the family model. Do I think the family is stronger or weaker? You'll have to be more specific. Is the traditional father, mother, and 2 and a half kids 1950's representation the image you were going for? If that's the case, then maybe yes, it might not be doing so well. Is that a bad or good thing? No, there are some things that are neutral. I think most people have a problem with your moral objection to a lot of things people deem subjective.
You specified the last 50 years. So are we comparing the last 50 years to say....the 50 before that, or the last 50 years to the 200 before that. I don't know.
There are definitely problems in today's society, I agree. Worse? Not by a long shot. Yes, prescription drug use is on the rise. Problem that I agree needs to be tackled. Work ethic? Americas are working themselves to death. The sense of personal entitlement vs. taking personal responsibility? Same as always. Doesn't excuse the fact that there still needs to be balance to keep people off of the streets and help in general. Illicit drug use? All I have to say is, "Failed war on drugs." It still all doesn't add up to slavery, old monarchies, brutal wars of the past involving all types of religions including Christendom, rights of minorities, etc. I still say as a society, we're getting better. We'll be even better when there aren't 4 fundie churches on every corner spreading hate cleverly (or not) cloaked in "the love of Jesus". Again, give me a break.

cruiser93
cruiser93 06/01/11 - 07:31 am
hapetrails (Monday @

hapetrails (Monday @ 9:35).... agreed

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/01/11 - 08:39 am
Freeuniversalist, just

Freeuniversalist, just because my view of today’s society is different from yours does not indicate that I have a NARROW perspective. I still fail to see where we have to choose between the lesser of two evils. You are correct, obviously slavery isn’t a current issue in the USA today but why do we have to settle for less than moral behavior (because it’s better than slavery) that may not enslave the body but most definitely enslaves the soul…..which in my opinion, the soul is more valuable than the body. I guess the view is based on whether you put your value in the things of Christ or whether you put your value in the things of this world.

As for my statement, I do believe I said the world is getting “progressively” worse….big difference in saying the world is worse than it has ever been. If you are going to credit me with a statement, please make sure it’s what I said and not what you want it to say.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 06/01/11 - 10:01 am
"Teaching Young Earth

"Teaching Young Earth Creationism with basis in Genesis only, with no scientific validation"

Real Scientist count back the number of days we KNOW happened. Long agers count forward from 4.5 billion yrs to prop up the debunked Humanist/Evolution religion. EARTH HAS ALWAYS BEEN PROVEN TOO YOUNG FOR EVOLUTION TO WORK, by thousands of published and long standing scientific FACTS, NOW prove 4.5 BILLION YRS OF AGE FOR EARTH the same way the SCIENTIFIC METHOD has proven a young earth.

"Franklin E. (Ed) Payne, M.D. served on the faculty for 25 years at the Medical College of Georgia, Augusta where he retired as Associate Professor of Family Medicine in 2000. He then worked for five years in the Emergency Department at Fort Gordon, Georgia, retiring from there in 2006. In 1980, he began writing in medical ethics, co-founding a journal, two newsletters, a website www.bmei.org, six books, and numerous articles and lectures "

freeuniversalist
freeuniversalist 06/01/11 - 09:48 am
@ICL - So if it's not worse

@ICL - So if it's not worse than it's ever been, I guess it had some drop off points? I mean if the natural progression of things goes from good to bad, then progressively worse, it's only natural to assume that it's "worse than it's ever been." Excuse me, I'm just following reason. I can only do so much with my human body without the mind of the "baptist god" guiding my path. Am I dead on it so far? No sick christian pun intended.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't all sin enslave the soul? That means slavery, which also enslaved the body, still enslaved the soul of the one enslaving the body. In this case, the slave owners. You're getting caught up in semantics, ICL, with your own beliefs. Plus, this is the 2nd time you have made a false comparison. No one is saying we have to choose to lesser of the two evils. All the example was for was to show that the natural progression of society isn't getting worse because far worse things existed before this time. To say that society is worse off now because the dang divorce rate is higher, or the traditional family model is under attack by the left wing trivializes our past and what we have learned and accomplished from it.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/01/11 - 10:25 am
freeuniversalist, why you

freeuniversalist, why you assume that the natural progression of things go from bad to worse, can there not be up and down periods? If things were so bad during slavery time (which I gather from your comments, you feel this is the worse of time in society), then things got a little better when slavery ended, then a little better as enconomy improved and society learned to consider their neighbors, work hard, and make family a priority, then things started on a downward spiral when we turned from the teachings of Christ or what "most" would agree are the moral principals we all should live by. So yes, I see the world as progressively getting worse. Sorry, you don't need a mind of a "baptist god", but a heart like his would surely help.

I fail to see what you say is a false comparison and enslavement of the soul due to sin or enslavement in the body is not semantics. Yes all sin enslaves the soul so the slave owner would be enslaved as well as the slave's body he is enslaving. Which would you say is worse....(my opinion remains that the enslaved soul (slave owner) is worse because the body is temporary but the soul is eternal). Is that too much for your mind?

It appears we both have our opinions on how well today's society is doing. If you feel we are improving, that is your choice. My view is we are slowly declining...........guess it depends on who's moral compass your comparing to....the world's or Christ's.

Willow Bailey
20618
Willow Bailey 06/01/11 - 11:19 am
freeuniversalist, In asking

freeuniversalist,

In asking the questions regarding whether "our" place in time on this earth is progressing towards good or evil, I seemed to have opened a sore spot with you. Perhaps, we should not be having this conversation, but I will try to give as respectful of an answer as I can.Anything that I say, is not meant as an insult to you, only how I believe. You, of course, are free to your belief's as well.

Regarding, my previous statement as to the demise of Ms. O'Hair, it is grievious to me on many levels. What I hear you saying to me, is that your faith is, that everyone is free to spiritually explore and believe as they wish. On that, I agree. Where we part agreement is, that unless we come, not only to the head knowledge, but the heart knowlege, which is the true acceptance of Jesus Christ as our only path to forgiveness and eternal salvation, we shall not live in heaven with God.

Do I believe it was possible that O'Hair was saved into heaven? Absolutely, IF, she had the opportunity, the desire and the humility to ask God, much like the thief on the cross.

As to assumptions, I try not to make them, although I am human, and always subject to failure. I do make observations, based on what I hear people saying through thier posts. I thought that was the point...to share. I do, however, have a firm belief in God. I do not ride the fence. God says, we are In or Out, there is no Middle. I am In all the way. Where everyone else wants to stand is up to them and I will still show them respect.

Willow Bailey
20618
Willow Bailey 06/01/11 - 11:28 am
freeuniversalist, I do see

freeuniversalist, I do see your point regarding..." It still all doesn't add up to slavery, old monarchies, brutal wars of the past involving all types of religions including Christendom, rights of minorities, etc. I still say as a society, we're getting better."

Agreed, on the surface, it does "look" better. And speaking of indoctrination, we have been sold a bill of goods that says if it looks good, or feels good, then, it is good. Not true. We can dress up sin all we want to, even in religious clothing, and we will come to our own demise. That is the point of the gospel, we are not the good news, Christ is.

IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG
IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG 06/01/11 - 11:51 am
I am very tolerant of other’s

I am very tolerant of other’s views, so being that they do not infringe upon my own in a matter that attempts to trump my views in some shape or form. Regardless, I find it rather ironic that the religious right can jump to a conclusion that evolution is not scientifically founded on fact, yet their beliefs are exempt from the same rigorous scrutiny (facts). I get that some have a special relationship with God, as you are entitled to. And I do not see anyone trying to take that away from you (at least not any normal people, yes the crazies are the minorities so please do not include them). All people are saying is that your special relationship with God ends with you, and need not include me. Furthermore, even if society is worse off than it ever was at any point in history, which is a rather subjective argument and a difficult one to prove at that, (i.e. what is the gold standard for society?) there is no argument that could stand to the basic principles of debate that religion, or a lack there of, has anything to do with it. That is simply an opinion, one in which you are entitled to have. But one that cannot be factually proven as there are far too many variables that dictate such grounds. Not to mention, the mere idea that society is worse than ever before is an opinion as well.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 06/01/11 - 12:26 pm
@freeuniversalist... kudos

@freeuniversalist... kudos for your 2:29 a.m. post. Unfortunately, the sound of my applause is being drowned by right-wing, left-wing and fundamentalist brains going kersplodey after reading it... :)

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/01/11 - 12:50 pm
"the mere idea that society

"the mere idea that society is worse than ever before is an opinion as well."

....and one that I have never advocated. Funny that people read something that isn't there.

" there is no argument that could stand to the basic principles of debate that religion, or a lack there of, has anything to do with it." (that our society is worse off today than in past history.

I disagree, but then that is just my opinion and according to you, entitled to it.

IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG
IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG 06/01/11 - 01:42 pm
ICL, I stand corrected. The

ICL, I stand corrected. The mere idea that the world is becoming progressively worse is an opinion. Since your direct quote was, “I do believe I said the world is getting “progressively” worse….big difference in saying the world is worse than it has ever been.” I apologize for the error, but my sentiments are still relative. Also, might that be regressively? Progressively in your context is somewhat of an oxymoron.

IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG
IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG 06/01/11 - 01:46 pm
Although, I never directed

Although, I never directed that statement or attributed it towards you.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/01/11 - 01:52 pm
Thank you IRYW. Since the

Thank you IRYW. Since the definition of progressively is "preceeding in steps; continuing steadily by increments" then I don't see where it is an oxymoron, but then I'm not a grammar or English expert. You may be right and I may be wrong.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/01/11 - 01:56 pm
You may not have attributed

You may not have attributed the statement to me but in reference to freeuniversalist comments whom did attibute the statement to me (falsely I might add) then by repeating the same statement, one would form the opinion that you were talking to them. If the comment was not meant for me, I appologize, but you will have a hard time convincing me that you were not referring to me in part of your comment.

IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG
IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG 06/01/11 - 02:21 pm
You are right about the

You are right about the definition of progression or in tense form progressively, but the choice to follow it with worse is poor as it does create the oxymoron. Much the same as a fast snail would be an oxymoron (Source: B.A. English). Regardless, these are semantics. The point is this, I can create false correlations that seem accurate on the surface too, but in the short term for our purposes they are simply hasty generalizations. Even if church participation is down and crime is up, a link between the two is a logical fallacy as it is nearly impossible to induce one has anything to do with the other. These are merely opinions. So we must agree to disagree as my opinion differs from yours and I do not see either of us jumping to the other side of the fence. The problem I have is that some individuals (not you), feel the need to belittle my freedoms for the sake of their own. For example the LTE writer, plenty of theological universities exist for the purposes of religious exploration. But such universities appear irrelevant because the local PUBLIC ones do not fit his exact needs. Diversity dictates that no one individual’s needs should take precedence over another’s. Unfortunately, this LTE writer feels differently and incorrectly infers that “World AIDS Day” is an attempt to trump his beliefs, despite the fact that it does not, and he fails to support how it negatively affects him. I do not feel Easter or Christmas trump my freedoms. Even though, I cannot make a variety of purchases on these days because several businesses are closed. And while I do not celebrate either, I still recognize them. Just as I recognize Yum Kippur, Rosh Hashanah, Passover, Ramadan, Kwanza or any other religious sects day of worship. The word is tolerance.

Willow Bailey
20618
Willow Bailey 06/01/11 - 03:20 pm
same song, next verse

same song, next verse

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/01/11 - 03:35 pm
As I said before I'm not an

As I said before I'm not an English major and defnitely grammar wasn't my best subject but seems to me that the word progressively could be followed both with negative or positive context, so I still fail to see the oxymoron. Enough of that because truthfully I couldn't care less.

I don't recall making the statement that the decrease in church attendance proves a declining status in our society but if that is what you took from my comment, I agree that it seems like a false correlation. I believe what I said in my comment or tried to get across, there again my word structure may not be perfect, was that it doesn't matter if there are 4 churches on every corner, attendance is down in the church and even church members are not shielded from committing crimes. As we all well know, you can attend church and still not be morally upright.

This really is a mute discussion because I find that I spend more time trying to correct accusations of what I didn't say, explain what I did, and personally don't care to be politely putdown by someone who may be more gramatically correct than myself.

I'm glad that you are such a tolerant person but let me say, could it be that businesses are closed on Easter and Christmas because employees want to be home with their family and really has nothing to do with celebrating the true meaning of Easter or Christmas?

IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG
IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG 06/01/11 - 04:00 pm
Yes, I know why they are

Yes, I know why they are closed. These are semantics. I was attempting to spin a little humor into the discussion. Much like how I always want Chic-Fil-A most on Sundays. My point was that the LTE writer’s accusations do not appear to have any standing, and he seems like a grumpy, old man. And at no point was I trying to put you down. So do not feel so hurt by my previous statements. I merely attempt to paraphrase at the risk of filling my posts with other people’s quotes, although, at times quotations are necessary to prove a point. Regardless, everything I have been discussing originates back to your original post and similar posts like it. For arguments sake I will quote it, “History and current events show us what happens when we take Christ out of our daily lives.” And in a summary, my response to you is that this is an opinion and is difficult, if not impossible, to prove. Especially, since only 20% of the world’s population, on paper, recognizes Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior. Religion as it pertains to all of the world’s good and evil exists only in the eye of the believer. For others, I would point to more sensical reasons to explain all of the world’s issues, some that may not be 100% accurate, but do hold more ground when placed against the scientific method.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/01/11 - 05:30 pm
In your opinon. Reasons for

In your opinon.

Reasons for evil or goodness can never really be proven, now can they......not unless you can open the human heart and determine why we choose the way we do.

Willow Bailey
20618
Willow Bailey 06/01/11 - 05:41 pm
ICL, just want to say that, I

ICL, just want to say that, I so appreciate you.

dougk
dougk 06/01/11 - 06:18 pm
Watch your role models,

Watch your role models, Willow. You were doing good.

Willow Bailey
20618
Willow Bailey 06/01/11 - 06:27 pm
I appreciate you, too, dougk.

I appreciate you, too, dougk.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/01/11 - 06:30 pm
Thanks Willow and hope you

Thanks Willow and hope you have a blessed day. dougk, I'm sure your the perfect role model yourself. Nice that you care so much for Willow.