Colleges pushing secular humanism

Perhaps the dominant theme of recent editorials in The Augusta Chronicle has been President Obama, Democrats and the economy. Virtually getting a free ride are two local major institutions: Augusta State University and the Georgia Health Sciences University. ASU is an officially secular (humanist) institution. Conservative biblical Christianity is anathema to the campus, as recently evidenced by the counseling-psychology debate. Evangelical Christians are put down in class, and belief in the Bible as knowledge is severely criticized, if at all allowed to be mentioned.

The teachings of GHSU are more subtle. The official stance of modern medicine is secular humanism, and any opposition to evolution is just not allowed in its "scientific" literature. Medicine embraces homosexuality and sexual perversion in all its forms under the banner of being "nonjudgmental." The campus honors Earth Day and World AIDS Day -- celebrations of humanists -- but it would absolutely forbid a prayer "in Jesus' name."

They may claim separation of church and state, but that is a tired refrain that has no constitutional basis, and denies their own religious commitment. As secular institutions, their strong and bold statement of faith lies in man without God. Of course, the same ideology exists on campuses in all 50 states.

While The Chronicle, Tea Partiers and true conservatives rail against Obama, Democrats and their effects on the economy, these institutions continue to pour out graduates indoctrinated in secular humanism. We, as a nation, will never be "under God" and solve what ails us until we understand the comprehensive evil that exists among us.

ASU and GHSU are getting free rides in their support of these problems that are destroying our country.

Ed Payne, M.D.

Augusta

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 05/30/11 - 01:19 am
Wow....I'm speechless. If no

Wow....I'm speechless. If no one has refuted this by morning I'll be back :-P

faithson
faithson 05/30/11 - 02:22 am
Only one word for this

Only one word for this LTE.... ridiculous AC grad, BA '80. College as I remember it was about 'getting educated' and getting a job. What my religious attitudes were came long before I stepped on Campus. I think Dr. Payne has a little to much time on his hands...

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 05/30/11 - 07:45 am
This LTE is the best evidence

This LTE is the best evidence yet that evolution must be a myth....

IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG
IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG 05/30/11 - 11:57 am
Dr. Payne, you state, “The

Dr. Payne, you state, “The campus honors Earth Day and World AIDS Day -- celebrations of humanists -- but it would absolutely forbid a prayer "in Jesus' name."” For the record, the campus also honors Christmas. And while organized prayer might be few and far between, I can assure there is plenty of praying afoot during finals time. Regardless, your claims are off base. While I am unaware of GHSU’s status, ASU is a state funded PUBLIC university and should remain secular, despite whether you believe that ole’ “tired refrain.” Furthermore, ASU requires two 4-hour Humanities courses for graduation. In those courses, students are taught about all of the worlds most widely followed religions, EQUALLY (this includes your Christianity).

edpaynemd
edpaynemd 05/30/11 - 04:00 pm
All the posts so far just

All the posts so far just point out how these institutions get a free ride. Student have little awareness of the secularism to which they are exposed, and that lack is the great danger that this country faces.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 05/30/11 - 04:17 pm
God needs to rap your

God needs to rap your knuckles with His Divine Ruler and assign you 1000 hours in Silly Detention Hall.

dougk
dougk 05/30/11 - 05:44 pm
Give it up, Doc. You ain't

Give it up, Doc. You ain't got a leg even in the buckle of the Bibile Belt.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 05/30/11 - 05:49 pm
Is anyone else miffed by the

Is anyone else miffed by the publication of this letter on Memorial Day, of all occasions?

dougk
dougk 05/30/11 - 06:31 pm
Good point, J. Lester.

Good point, J. Lester.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 05/30/11 - 06:37 pm
Dr. Payne, I salute your

Dr. Payne, I salute your astuteness. The least tolerant amongst us are the very people SCREAMING the loudest for tolerance.

dougk
dougk 05/30/11 - 07:15 pm
well, there's a totally empty

well, there's a totally empty statement, rm whitley.

TK3
TK3 05/30/11 - 08:28 pm
History and current events

History and current events show us what happens when State and religion are one.

hapetrails
hapetrails 05/30/11 - 09:35 pm
Love your letter and your

Love your letter and your willingness to write it! The stage is definitely getting set for One World Religion, which, of necessity, will not include Christianity. You see, Christianity has absolutes. Absolutes can't exist in the all inclusive lie that's emerging!

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/30/11 - 10:02 pm
History and current events

History and current events show us what happens when we take Christ out of our daily lives.

dougk
dougk 05/30/11 - 11:31 pm
For example, ICL??

For example, ICL??

Sushi
Sushi 05/31/11 - 01:24 am
I've never experienced any

I've never experienced any overt anti-religious, or anti-Christian behavior from any students or faculty member of ASU. Like, have you not seen their giant Christmas tree before?

And what does a non-evolution line of reasoning have to do with science? It's...........science, not theology or philosophy.

And, ah, 'indoctrinated' students? If a student is feeble-minded enough to be indoctrinated by anything he or she is lectured about in a university setting, they probably aren't your cup of tea to begin with sir.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/31/11 - 06:34 am
dougk, if you can not see for

dougk, if you can not see for yourself that our world and society has steadily increased in violence, selfishness, and human immorality over the years, then nothing I write will prove to you that we here in the USA, have so far removed Christ from the center of our moral compass and daily lives that we look like the Israelites in the Old Testament.

edpaynemd
edpaynemd 05/31/11 - 06:39 am
I praise God for the

I praise God for the brilliant comments of those above who see the issues!

dougk
dougk 05/31/11 - 09:31 am
Well, ICL, the crime stats

Well, ICL, the crime stats would not support your view that violence has steadily increased. And, as far as human immorality, do you think we were better off under the institution of slavery or during more recent times when people were treated separately and unequally??

dougk
dougk 05/31/11 - 09:33 am
myfather, I think you should

myfather, I think you should look up the "stats" instead of being so confident that YOUR opinion will be supported by them.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/31/11 - 09:56 am
dougk, crime statistics don't

dougk, crime statistics don't tell the whole picture, too many variables and not enough consistency from year to year. If you have individuals who are dissatisfied with justice and choose not to report crime, does that mean criminal activity has decreased or does that mean criminal activity reporting has decreased making it appear that crime is down.

As for human immorality...I do not think we are better off with slavery and do not think demeaning people is moral either. Why should this be an either/or issue.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/31/11 - 10:37 am
Don't know why my post was

Don't know why my post was removed. Is stating having experience as a Crime Analyst a no-no now?

lashnjo
lashnjo 05/31/11 - 04:14 pm
I attend Augusta State and

I attend Augusta State and there is no indoctrination going on. In fact, I specifically remember my sociology teacher (a Christian) joking that atheists "are devil worshipers" while explaining the premise of atheism. Also, both my biology book and my teacher asserted that religion and science answer two different type of questions: science for how, religion for why. Furthermore, in my English class while discussing the Jennifer Keaton (spell check?) case all sides were given equal time and students who disagreed with ASU's decision were able to speak without being chastised by the professor.

asustudent8824
asustudent8824 05/31/11 - 04:37 pm
Wow. I guess my degree means

Wow. I guess my degree means nothing since I happen to attend a public university that happens to be funded with state money... Wait, aren't ALL public universities funded with state money? Correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe there is a quote somewhere in the Constitution (you know, that piece of paper that everyone keeps talking about), that there is to be a separation of church and state. Furthermore, (once again, correct me if I happen to be wrong) wasn't our country founded on religious freedom? College is a place to explore new ideas, whether those ideas be secular or non-secular. If you prefer to extend your knowledge in the non-secular field... there are plenty of universities that will be more than willing to educate you. Moreover, if you have a problem with paying for this "indoctrinated" educational system, feel free to move else where. But of course, feel free to send your donations to the private, non-secular school of your choice.

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 05/31/11 - 06:24 pm
Well I see ASU beat me to it.

Well I see ASU beat me to it. Good too see some intelligence is still left in this town after all ;-)

asustudent8824
asustudent8824 05/31/11 - 06:46 pm
Furthermore, seeing how

Furthermore, seeing how Georgia is located in the "Bible Belt", where there are 4 churches in a square mile, in theory according to ICL and myfather, shouldn't crime be less pervasive here? That is a rhetorical question, don't answer it.... I mean Georgia is in the top 5 for number of people incarcerated per population.... (shhhhh! they are about to contradict themselves... again!)What does crime have to do with religiosity? (that one you should answer).

CambodiaPhilip
CambodiaPhilip 05/31/11 - 08:05 pm
This argument is ridiculous.

This argument is ridiculous. How about this solution? Maybe ASU should observe all of the Buddhist holidays and teach rebirth and karma. Would you be happy with that? Or maybe they should teach Islam or Hinduism. It's all that secular humanism that is problematic to you right?

It's not secular humanism that you have a problem with; it is that you feel threatened by people that don't share your narrow beliefs. Not everyone is a conservative "Christian" (in parenthesis because there was nothing conservative about Jesus since he advocated non-violence, was not concerned with material wealth, hung out with prostitutes and the downtrodden, and provided free health care to all regardless of their station in life). If you want to learn about Jesus and celebrate his life, awesome; go to church. If you want to learn about scholarly subjects go to a university where the emphasis is on increasing knowledge and logic.

It strikes me as odd that the Augusta Chronicle posts "You agree not to make racist, obscene or hateful remarks..Violations may result in removal of accounts." This advocacy of one religious belief system to the exclusion of another belief is just one of the many ways that bigotry and prejudice remain thinly veiled.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/31/11 - 09:10 pm
asustudent, as you should

asustudent, as you should know just because there may be 4 churches to a square mile here, does not mean everyone attends church and follows the teachings of Christ. Heck, some of the people who do attend don't follow the teachings of Christ. My earlier comment had to do with the status of the world today. Don't see where I would contradict myself, I stand by the comment that this world is progressively getting worse. If you can't see that maybe you just haven't lived long enough.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/31/11 - 10:17 pm
ICL, agreed, there is an

ICL, agreed, there is an eroding moral compass and a sinking foundation.
What many believe is working for them, will ultimately be their downfall.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 05/31/11 - 10:59 pm
"Faith is believing in

"Faith is believing in something you can't see or prove. In that case, people who believe we evolved from monkey's have some seriously strong faith."

Evolution is the faith based religion that given enough time absolutely nothing can turn into every living thing that ever lived. That is some strong faith and it makes for the STRONG humanist RELIGION that holds church meetings just like any other religion. Schools are not supposed to proselyte like they do for the humanist religion; they are supposed to teach facts. Ever since the word evolution showed up in textbooks crimes and all our social ills have increased by over 2,000%. Let’s leave the debunked theories behind and get back to facts. All of REAL science has debunked long ages. Without long ages all evolutionist admit evolution cannot WORK.
Here are just a few of the facts proving a relatively young earth that is far too young to ever allow evolution the billions of year’s evolutionist insist is necessary for their religion to work.
Clock Age Estimate
Various (mostly young) Ages
19. Rapid Mountain Uplift
Less than 10 million years
20. Carbon 14 from "Old" Sources
10,000 to 50,000 years
21. Dark Matter and Spiral Galaxies
100 - 500 million years (max)
22. Helium and lead in Zircons