Commissioner's non-vote unacceptable

Having served as a county commissioner of Columbia County, I always felt that it was the duty of an elected official to make the tough decisions when called upon. Too often in this day and age, our politicians try to be everything to everybody.

I am puzzled by my current representative, Columbia County Commissioner Charles Allen, and his recent action -- or, should I say, inaction. He had the opportunity to vote on an issue concerning the lighting of the Augusta Prep football field. For some reason, he chose not to vote at all. After the meeting, he said "I just decided not to vote."

That is not a valid excuse -- that's kind of like the "dog ate my homework" excuse at school. The teacher wouldn't buy that, and the voters shouldn't accept Commissioner Allen's lame excuse for not voting on a controversial issue. We expect better.

Frank G. Spears

Evans

Emerydan
Emerydan 05/29/11 - 01:03 am
perhaps we need some more

perhaps we need some more background on this.. but why exactly would the county commission be voting on the lighting of a football field of a private school? Is it possible that the commissioner had a conflict of interest here and excused himself from voting on those grounds?

ECDanes
ECDanes 05/29/11 - 02:19 am
CC politics are about as

CC politics are about as interesting as a tiddlywinks tournament.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/29/11 - 07:08 am
I have no problem with a

I have no problem with a commissioner abstaining on a vote. If there is a conflict of interest, a commissioner should abstain. To often we see commissioners voting when they have something to gain personally from the vote. Even if there is not a conflict of interest, abstaining can be useful as a parliamentary maneuver. Mr. Spears is too narrow in his thinking if he rules out abstaining. Abstaining is legitimate.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 05/29/11 - 07:15 am
LL, He did not abstain, he

LL,

He did not abstain, he didn't case any vote. If you abstain you can give the reason you should. If you vote yes or no, you can explain those positions too, but a "no vote' cheats the people from knowing if you represented them in the correct fashion.

Sometimes a no vote can say more about a 'leader' than anything they voted yes or no on.

Brad

Brad

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/29/11 - 08:38 am
Salient points...The field

Salient points...The field lights should have been approved. It was politics to not allow them.

Secondly, Frank Spears must by trying to do the Jimmy Carter thing and prove he isn't the worst Commissioner to ever occupy office. Jim Whitehead and the other commissioners turned on him and supported his opponent after being exposed to his style on the commission. The voters finished the job and turned Spears out of office.

Emerydan
Emerydan 05/29/11 - 10:13 am
sounds to me that Spears is a

sounds to me that Spears is a little bitter. But can someone please give us some background on these controversial Augusta Prep Field lights?

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/29/11 - 10:41 am
Taylor B
Taylor B 05/29/11 - 11:14 am
Oh snap...

Oh snap...

ECDanes
ECDanes 05/29/11 - 06:08 pm
Like I said.. you know

Like I said.. you know Columbia County politics are boring when this is considered is considered "controversial" enough to warrant a letter in the local paper. Now I will admit that The Scott Dean Saga did have National Enquirer and Jerry Springer written all over it.. with a dose of a a Vidal Sasoon commercial from the 1980s.

MrsSmith
MrsSmith 05/29/11 - 08:06 pm
Here's another view on

Here's another view on Charles Allen's decision not to vote. After the first meeting Allen seemed to lean toward Augusta Prep - that's based on conversations after the meeting. His granddaughter wanted to go to Prep and I've heard he has family members teaching there. However, he's the only commissioner who accepted an invitation from the Springlakes neighborhood to see the area in question. While I don't know this for sure, I think he saw the issues facing the Springlakes neighborhood and was tormented about what to do. Maybe these guys are politicians, but isn't it great to see politicans voting with their hearts instead of their politics.

Taylor B
Taylor B 05/29/11 - 08:48 pm
No MrsSmith, politicians that

No MrsSmith, politicians that vote with their heart is why we are in such messes we are today.