Cycling deputies don't seem efficient

I have seen Columbia County sheriff's deputies on patrol riding bicycles on North Belair Road by the Home Depot. That's a waste of resources to do this, since the coverage area and time of response would be a lot more effective if they were riding motorcycles or in patrol cars.

Are these deputies on some kind of special assignment? What is the reasoning behind this? In a moment when we need to take the maximum advantage of the taxpayers' money, is this cost-effective? Are they paid by area businesses?

On top of it all, they are at a major risk of an accident by riding a bicycle rather than a motorcycle. Can you help me understand this?

Ruben Alba

Grovetown

shamrock
shamrock 05/08/11 - 02:42 am
I can see cycling law

I can see cycling law enforcement officers at large, crowded events or areas ... fairs, parades, football games, etc. ... but not on a busy road. Your guess would be as good as mine. Good question!

Jane18
Jane18 05/08/11 - 08:02 am
Very good questions Mr.Alba.

Very good questions Mr.Alba. I'll be watching to see what kind of answers you get................................

jrbfromga
jrbfromga 05/08/11 - 09:57 am
Bicycle deputies can often

Bicycle deputies can often get to the scene of a crime before deputies in cars because they can do so with stealth, with no high speeds or sirens. They are very effective in responding to shoplifting cases and prevent a great deal of parking lot crime, both assaults and break-ins. Think about them not as responsive, after-the-fact law enforcement, but rather a preventive factor. As far as their risk of accident by riding on the road, does the CSRA need another reminder that bicyclists have a right to the road too?

devgru1
devgru1 05/08/11 - 10:01 am
Officers on cycles see much

Officers on cycles see much more than officers on foot, motorcycles, or in cars. They can quietly ride up on criminals in the act virtually unseen. These guys answer calls to alarms, traffic accidents, just like there counterparts. In many cases, they are on the scene quicker than the others...when responding to calls in there areas. I will admit that they are in danger of being hit by vehicles, but danger is the nature of their jobs anyway. Bike patrols work. It has been proven.... AND they don't use up precious gasoline.....

dani
dani 05/08/11 - 12:25 pm
Sounds like a good use of the

Sounds like a good use of the tax payers money to me.
Good exercise for the officers also.

dani
dani 05/08/11 - 12:26 pm

Patty-P
Patty-P 05/08/11 - 01:22 pm
First things first...the

First things first...the headline needs correction: 'Cycling deputies don't seen efficient'

I think it is more efficient if you consider the cost of maintaining a police vehicle, cost of gas, etc.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 05/08/11 - 11:02 pm
Its called communtiy polciing

Its called communtiy polciing and statistics show it works very well.

If you do have quesitons instead of forming an opinion first, the Sheriff's Office community services division will glady assist you.

urright
urright 05/09/11 - 08:57 am
Have you ever tried to get

Have you ever tried to get through Evans or Martinez at rush hour? Now think about how quickly a bike can get through the traffic. Each of the bike teams has a "beat" much like the patrol cars and only works during peak hours. I like seeing them ride through the parking lots and they have really nice legs!

rbndawn
rbndawn 05/14/11 - 03:28 pm

Thank you all for the response, there is some aspects I didn't consider like traffic, but how many hours of peak traffic we have a day? I do understand officer in bycles on Broad St. but still don't think the risk to them is worth it on Belair Rd. How many times we have heard of cyclist being hit by a car? As far as the time response? They look in awesome shape but they are not match for a deputy on a motorcycle.
I do recognize and thank all the hard work of the Sheriff's Department no wonder why many of the Columbia County Residents feel that still is very safe to live here (I do) I was just expressing my opinion on how we could take more advantage of their service while keeping them safe on their already dangerous duty, why to add more risk to it?
Thanks again to all their responses and points of view.