Rude visitors ruined Sunday

This past Sunday, there was an event on the river. I do not know what the party was celebrating. I do know that it went on for several hours, leaving my back yard -- the river -- flooded with morons who carry air horns and no manners.

I know living on the river means you're open to what goes on in it. Boat races and rowing crews are pretty normal. Whatever the heck they were doing Sunday is not the average type of get-together down on the river.

As a bonus, my subdivision was a one-way street since cars were parked dangerously up one side and down the other. Despite signs warning outsiders that the boat dock is for residents only, everyone clearly feels the rules won't be enforced since they simply come down and do as they please.

I wanted a calm Sunday afternoon, but it seemed my party neighbors got a boost since everyone apparently came in from the city to join up. Gee, thanks Augusta.

Margaret Griffon

North Augusta, S.C.

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 05/03/11 - 01:35 am
Well, Margaret, did you think

Well, Margaret, did you think that maybe people were celebrating the death of a butcherer?

sassylassie
sassylassie 05/03/11 - 02:01 am
Probably not, Paul. More than

Probably not, Paul. More than likely they are like every other rude individual in this town. We have a large number of people who feel that the rules do not apply to them, that "No Trespassing" means everyone else but them, and simply do not care that they inconvenience and disturb everyone else. My new neighbors love their music and love it loud, outside, every evening. Other people regularly trespass on my property to access a PRIVATE lake. I feel sorry for Ms. Griffon. She has met the folks I regularly deal with.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 05/03/11 - 06:01 am
Celebrations come at a cost,

Celebrations come at a cost, to the celebrants. Civility in "this age of enlightenment" is a word found only in the dictionary.

Techfan
Techfan 05/03/11 - 06:06 am
Have the cars towed but you

Have the cars towed but you don't own the river. Tough it out or move.

dani
dani 05/03/11 - 07:46 am
It was Sunday afternoon...

It was Sunday afternoon...

peonynut
peonynut 05/03/11 - 10:15 am
More than likely these were

More than likely these were folks enjoying an event for free that others paid to get in to see. If this is the neighborhood I think it is the place is invaded during the 4th of July for the fireworks as well. Not only that neighborhood but the one up the river is bombarded with these same selfish people when ever they feel like going. They have no regard for people or property; they throw their trash on the ground, trample yards and generally act as if they are above the law. I suggest calling Public Safety the next time this happens. If they are parking on both sides of the street a fire truck or ambulance could not get down; someone could die because of the obstructions. Public Safety has the duty to protect you and your property; use them.

scgator
scgator 05/03/11 - 11:28 am
Mrs. Griffon, my wife and I

Mrs. Griffon, my wife and I also live on the North Augusta side of the river; and you are right. It wasn't a "Day in the Country", it was "Drunks on the River". All we saw all day long were overloaded boats speeding up and down the river. Why some of these boats who were loaded to well below the waterline were not ticketed, is beyond me. Many were seen speeding in the "boat idle" zone in front of Augusta Marina without any regards that their wake was beating other people's boats against the dock. My opinion is this should be the first and last event of this type at the river front. Augusta should know better.

scgator
scgator 05/03/11 - 11:35 am
Techfan.......you say tough

Techfan.......you say tough it out or move; what is wrong with forcing people to obey existing laws. Why should the law abiding citizen always be the one to turn the other cheek??

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 05/03/11 - 12:00 pm
Because sometimes it's the

Because sometimes it's the law-abiding citizen that gets arrested?

jsterett
jsterett 05/03/11 - 12:21 pm
I was on the river Sunday

I was on the river Sunday afternoon and may have picked up someone from the dock Mrs. Griffon mentioned. She is right. There were some rude people on the river and some were drunk and had little consideration for other boaters. Perhaps North Augusta should start charging a ramp fee on days when there are special events on the river and use the revenue to pay for better security and to expand the parking by the boat ramp.

Blue in Red State
Blue in Red State 05/03/11 - 12:58 pm
I guess if you live on the

I guess if you live on the river, this happens more than a few times a year. I agree with the comment of calling public safety if your street is blocked in any way, emergency vehicles come first. I would put up signs reminding people that if this were their home, they would expect others to respect their property and privacy.

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 05/03/11 - 01:20 pm
It was "A Day in the Country"

It was "A Day in the Country" around here A Day in the Country is code for "A day at the river while some bands play country music and their crowd gets drunk"...be glad it wasn't worse.

Cadence
Cadence 05/03/11 - 02:32 pm
We too have neighbors who

We too have neighbors who party all weekend, come home at 3am with loud thumping bass, scream and fight out in the yard so the police come. I wish they would move but no chance.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 05/03/11 - 03:25 pm
I was so ashamed of them and

I was so ashamed of them and thought these SC BOYS were so dangerous i left instead of doing a world ranked freestyle jetski show that may win a world championship. NONE of the trouble makers paid a dime to see the show. Many of them came from the N.A. boat ramps not Augusta. Where's N.A's army of cops when you needed them? Where was the SCDNR that regularly shakes down jet skiers every time they see us but leaves all the drunks in "boats" alone?
My friends & i have rescued every single person we know off of the river. We have NEVER seen SCDNR save anyone and they didn't bother these boaters cause most of them were from SC. They mostly pick on GA folks so the complaintent needs to take it up with SCDNR.

Techfan
Techfan 05/03/11 - 03:10 pm
scgator: Read the post. "Have

scgator: Read the post. "Have the cars towed". They can control the area owned by them but the river is open for others. It's nice living on a river, lake, or near a park but you have to understand they are recreation areas. If you want total solitude, buy a few hundred acres and put your house in the middle of it.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 05/03/11 - 03:14 pm
I've seen jet skiers playing

I've seen jet skiers playing chicken with each other and 90% of boats ignore the idle speed law when passing docks. I've even seen a pair of drunks shooting into the woods from their boat. I've never seen a ranger or any other law enforcement on that part of the river. (They could make a fortune in tickets in just one weekend.) I know they're spread thin...is there a volunteer organization I can join to help combat this problem? Instead of a volunteer fire department, a volunteer river enforcement? I'm dead serious. Anyone know of anything like that?

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 05/03/11 - 03:19 pm
Tech, Just because the river

Tech, Just because the river is considered a recreation area doesn't mean it's a law-free zone. Just like anywhere else, the law-abiding citizens deserve the right to be protected (or protect themselves) from the law-breakers.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 05/03/11 - 03:28 pm
Yeah, um, thanks,

Yeah, um, thanks, CrimeReports. Something that's a little less radical-sounding and a little more state-sanctioned. (Sorry, but some of your posts are a little too "out there" for me). I'm looking for some organization where I have to take a few classes and get certified to ticket, or take offical photos of the lawbreakers so someone else can ticket them, or volunteer to ride with a ranger to help increase their manpower, or something along those lines?

BTW, are the people who patrol the river, forest rangers? (The ones who check to make sure you have the required number of life preservers and all that?)

Adder
Adder 05/03/11 - 03:43 pm
Perhaps margaret should have

Perhaps margaret should have done a little more research before buying a home on the River. She obviously hasn't researched human nature.

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 05/03/11 - 05:32 pm
Easy problem to solve, tow

Easy problem to solve, tow illegally parked vehicles. There isn't much parking so only a few could put in there. We get there early so we can park and always have a sober boat driver. It's great fun, maybe ya'll should give it a try next year.

scgator
scgator 05/03/11 - 06:14 pm
Techfan..........it is not a

Techfan..........it is not a matter of total silence or solitude, it is a matter of common decency and respect for others. While buying a couple of hundred acres seems like a viable option to you; it is not for most of us. That is a real issue in our country....those who wish not to respect others rights expect US to allow them theirs unconditionally.............

KSL
KSL 05/03/11 - 06:17 pm
Absolutely, scgator. And when

Absolutely, scgator. And when did it become human nature to trespass?

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 05/03/11 - 06:33 pm
I don't trespass either.

I don't trespass either.

Grad rates show improvement by local school systems

Graduation rates in both Richmond and Columbia counties followed the statewide trend of slow and steady increases in 2014, although progress in individual schools varied greatly.