Everyone must pay their fair share

This responds to the April 28 letter to the editor "At some point, you have enough money."

First of all, enough is enough when people who are bright, ambitious, and provide valuable services to others in a capitalistic society decide to no longer work. How one equates wrongdoing with wealth is simply flawed logic, and it is not how this country became great or will be great again!

When you look at the "half-empty glass," the problem in this country is not with those who have accumulated "wealth," but with the quantum move to a socialistic society in which almost half the population pay no income taxes and rely on entitlements from the government to survive.

We are at that point where there are more people in the cart than are pulling it! Remember, the top 10 percent of the income earners in this country pay almost 70 percent of the taxes today.

The moral argument and redistribution theory is another amazing twist promulgated by the liberal element in this country. In their preaching, however, they fail to mention the overly generous nature of this country in responding to every national or world disaster. We are the most generous nation by far in the world, and I can assure that generosity does not flow from those who are "on the take."

We need to get back to the position of everyone paying their fair share and end this entitlement mind-set for those who simply would prefer to sit back with their hands out than earn an honest dollar's pay for an honest dollar's work!

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 04/30/11 - 04:39 am
Great Letter! I agree.

Great Letter! I agree. Freedom, complete freedon, must include economic freedom too.

We must go back to the principle of EARN what you get.

And nothing is instant pudding either. Work hard and learn from your mistakes. Never give up. Don't waste time or money.

I hate the useless trustfund babies too, but that is not the people hit hardest by all these taxes either.

It's working "wealthy" like the independent Doctor or the small b usiness owner.

And as far as my money I earn, if I earn 200gazillion dollars, why should anyone else have a 'right' to it? I f it was MY skills that generated it, why should anyone get it from me? I guess all the jobs I created and food that I put on thetable doesn't count does it?

Dang it's hot! Where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?

Brad

peace4784
peace4784 04/30/11 - 07:18 am
Start with the preachers and

Start with the preachers and churches. They think they are entitled to a percentage of your money by using God as an excuse. God has no pockets or a bank account. Only man does. Everyone thinks there are entitled. The rich think they are entitled to exploit the poor. The poor think they are entitled to whatever they can get. The United States think are entitled to take over other countries when they feel the urge take over a countries resources. We are all entitlement addicts. By the way no one ever pays their fair share! Conservatives are the worst.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 04/30/11 - 08:06 am
Peace, when you talk about

Peace, when you talk about churches, you obviously have no clue about the situation. Ministers have a right to make a living as well. Would you deny them income? The "percentage" you criticize is actually a biblical mandate. The Bible commands God's people to give and give generously to support the work of the church and its ministries. So, don't criticize churches or Christians for simply doing what they are supposed to do.

Sure, some "ministers" have abused the system and preyed upon innocent folks. That's not right, and they'll get their reward. But, it takes money to accomplish ministry, and there's nothing wrong with giving to such worthy causes.

Pu239
Pu239 04/30/11 - 08:08 am
Peace....stand in front of

Peace....stand in front of the mirror.....point to the image you see....the image will point back at you. The mirror will not point at the government, it will not point at the "evil" rich, it will not point to your employer. It points to the person most responsible for your well being.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 04/30/11 - 08:12 am
CONSERVATIVES ARE MORE

CONSERVATIVES ARE MORE GENEROUS WITH VOLUNTARY GIVING THAN LIBERALS. GOOGLE IT, PEACE, AND YOU FIND A NUMBER OF ARTICLES THAT SUPPORT THIS STATEMENT.

southernguy08
southernguy08 04/30/11 - 08:42 am
Peace, the old saying is,

Peace, the old saying is, "The tax man cometh.", not "The church collection plate cometh." Nobody in a church tells you to pay up or lose your home. Is there anything voluntary about taxes, or the rate we are taxed? Try telling an IRS agent you can't pay and see if they just walk on by. I see wealth envy is still alive and well in this country.

Techfan
Techfan 04/30/11 - 08:43 am
The top 1% own 42% of the

The top 1% own 42% of the wealth, the top 5% own 69%, the top 10% own 80%. They still owe the US 10%!

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/30/11 - 09:14 am
People who do not pay taxes

People who do not pay taxes do not care how high taxes go. They do not care how much money the government spends. And now THEY outnumber US. Time for everyone from welfare to billionaire to start putting an equal percentage of their income in the tax bucket. Untaxed citizens make poor voters. They will always vote for the candidate that promises more government spending.....on them.

PCnomo
PCnomo 04/30/11 - 10:11 am
Howcanweknow claims the tithe

Howcanweknow claims the tithe is a biblical mandate. True, but it was a requirement of the law for israelites, not christians. Nowhere in the new testament is there a mandate for a tithe to my understanding, except to say any voluntary tithe should be in keeping with income. I don't recall Jesus ever asking for payment for His services, checking the balance of his account, or seeking donations to carry on his good work. Nor did He seem too concerned whether or not the lepers had health insurance.

Howcanweknow also asks would you deny preachers an income. Of course not, but I would ask they get their income from a source more legitimate than the one they have chosen. By preaching fear of retribution to a congregation who have decided to abdicate the responsibility for their own spiritual growth and let a church do their thinking for them. Any question posed to a preacher will always be answered to the benefit of the church and the parasitical clergy that depend upon that church for their livlihood, never to the benefit of the questioner and his spiritual growth. The christianity practiced today is not a vehicle for enlightenment of the spirit, but a form of limitation designed to keep the body (and it's money) in bondage to the church.
Spirituality and religion are not always synonymous, especially for the modern-day pharisees inhabiting the whited sepulchers of organized religion.

LauraE
LauraE 04/30/11 - 11:18 am
I find it rather disturbing

I find it rather disturbing that so many people who claim to be christians label everyone who is poor as lazy, self inflicted, and uneducated. And likewise, labels everyone who is wealthy as hardworking, honest, and deserving of everything they've acquired. Common sense tells us that is absolutely not the case. Everyone on this forum is fully aware that the world is not in black and white. Remember the poem on the Statue of Liberty:
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

Whatever happened to compassion?

PCnomo
PCnomo 04/30/11 - 11:35 am
LauraE asks:_ Whatever

LauraE asks:_ Whatever happened to compassion?

I think people are begining to understand the fine line between compassion and stupidity. Compassion is caring and providing for those that need it, not all who demand it.
As to the statue of liberty..It helps me to remember that the poem was written at a time when America as a nation was struggling to emerge, not struggling to survive.

Jane18
Jane18 04/30/11 - 01:13 pm
PC you don't even know who

PC you don't even know who the Israelites were, and are today. They were the twelve sons of Jacob(Remember GOD changed Jacob's name to Israel). House of, family, and tribe are all the same thing. The little country of Israel is only made up of two sons, Judah and Benjamin. Where do you think the other ten tribes are? Believe it or not, you quite possibly could be of one of those other families. You need to do a lot of studying...........................

Jane18
Jane18 04/30/11 - 01:22 pm
Also, JESUS' mother was from

Also, JESUS' mother was from the house(family, tribe) of Judah. The other 10 tribes had long been gone after being taken into captivity by the Assyrian. But, before they were, all 12 tribes had been together, thus they were of Israel(Jacob's changed name). If Nomo were your family name, you and your family would be known as the house of Nomo. Have you got it yet? We are called Christian because we believe in HIM and The Father's Word.

PCnomo
PCnomo 04/30/11 - 02:34 pm
Jane18 :- You appear to be

Jane18 :- You appear to be making the assumption that because a person does not accept religion then they do not accept God. The two are not mutually exclusive, despite what churches condition people to think. You also appear to assume that because someone comes to a different conclussion than you that person is mistaken and in need of additional study.
Here is what you are missing. I am a christian. I believe in God, I believe in the teachings of Jesus and I try to apply those teachings to my life. I believe that the bible is the word of God. But I do not accept the interpretatons of that word by any organized religion nor do I believe that any religion, church or self-appointed shepherd is necessary as a middleman between me and God.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 04/30/11 - 02:52 pm
How in the WORLD did you all

How in the WORLD did you all turn this into a God Squad debate?

Do you 'Christian Conservative' guys fall for this everytime? A liberal insults the church and you all go out of your way to argue a point that is not even a finite part of the actual debate going on.

This is amazing.

An awesome letter and all you all want to do is argue abot God and stuff that has NOTHING to do with taxes or paying your fair share.

WOW, that is all I can say is WOW!

Brad

dani
dani 04/30/11 - 05:04 pm
Brad..See your 4:35 am...some

Brad..See your 4:35 am...some folks aren't gonna let you get away with saying they gotta earn their way, not with all the goodies right there for the taking.

That is WHY!!
BTW..I like your post.

IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG
IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG 04/30/11 - 07:04 pm
The inherent problem with

The inherent problem with capitalism is the inevitable greed that it produces. Capitalism in this nation will fail unless a drastic directional shift is made (for the record, I do not believe such a shift will be made). The greed mentality in regards to money does not work (frankly, it does not work in most scenarios either). According to statistics over the last 30 years, the wealthiest tier of American’s median wealth has nearly quadrupled over this period, while all other income groups have remained relatively stagnant. How long can this trend continue before the nation enters a stage of total ruins?

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/30/11 - 07:50 pm
Where do people get the idea

Where do people get the idea that preachers don't pay taxes just like everyone else? Our pastor is paid a salary and he pays income taxes just as I do, just as the music director does, just as the church secretary does, just as the janitor does. These are all paid staff members of the church.

dani
dani 04/30/11 - 09:59 pm
Im right, To me greed in

Im right, To me greed in taking handouts when you don't need them and causing a truly needy person to do without - which I call liberalism, not capitalism.

carcraft
carcraft 05/01/11 - 05:56 am
I read a Book in the 70"s

I read a Book in the 70"s called the "Rich and Super Rich". It was all this garbage all over again. Wealth in America changes with innovations that make America (and the world) better. When you remove the motivation ( power, money and bragging rights) then you lose the desire to promote Change and create wealth. When the Rich and the Super Rich came out Warren Buffet was on the rise, Sam Walton Hadn't made it, Oprah hadn't even been heard of not to mention Bill Gates etc. Who those wealthy are keeps changing because of the ability of America to allow change. Remove the incentives you will remove change and America will stagnate. This garbage has been around since at least the 70's. In 1899 One of the magazines did a story on the super rich who would be the forces to recon with in the new century. By 1940 none of the wealthy names mentioned were wealthy or the family wealth had deminished to the point they were no longer economic power houses. Look at Vanderbuilts for example. So go out innovate create and produce your own wealth instead of envying those that do!

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 05/01/11 - 07:45 am
IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG, So what

IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG,

So what are you trying to say? I hate to tell you this, but capitalism does not cause "inevitable greed" at all. It is the corrupt human heart that creates greed.

Greed springs eternal in the human heart.

You go on to say, “According to statistics" which makes anything else you say suspect due to the ability of anyone to be able to manipulate stats to fit any agenda.

The FACTS are, people with wealth create jobs, own companies, and help drive the economy. You call it greed, I call it the natural order of things.

Now if you want to argue ethics, we may find common ground there, because I have found many very unethical people in the business world. But ethics and greed are two different things, one may drive the other but both are corrupt and acid on the soul.

I do not hate the wealthy, nor do I have a desire to see them taxed more than me or forced to give up the fruits of their labor to people who did not earn it.

What's the matter with America these days? Where has the 'Can-do' attitude gone? Where is the American work ethic gone?

EARN what you get, pay your way, and work hard for your goals. Anyone has the equal opportunity to become a success in America, anyone can succeed in America.

Set your goals, work hard, focus, learn from mistakes, never quit, live within your means, and don't waste time or money.

Brad

WW1949
WW1949 05/01/11 - 09:54 am
Mr. Thompson I am in the the

Mr. Thompson I am in the the camp that thinks your hard earned cash should belong to the one that actually earned it? And Brad I agree with you when you say if I earn it, it is mine and no one else's. Enough is enough when I say it is enough and not because someone else says it. I still enjoy working and could never be a couch potato with my hand out. That is just disgraceful to me and just disrespectful to the human race.

IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG
IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG 05/01/11 - 12:12 pm
Brad, I never said capitalism

Brad, I never said capitalism causes greed, I said it produces it. And there is a difference. The difference being the causal relationship that implies in all instances of A, B will occur. Secondly, I never said in all instances of capitalism greed will follow. Allow me to elaborate, you are correct, greed is a human emotion, the desire to want or possess more. For those who are already greedy, capitalism facilitates that greed. For the record, I make a living slightly above the poverty line. I am in the pay my taxes minority, and I have worked (college educated/job-promoted) to get where I am at today. My statistics were to illustrate a trend, not to promote my agenda. You jump to many conclusions regarding my post. Perhaps this was my fault for not including more information originally. But I would also like for you to not assume anything either (a fairly modest request). I do not hate the wealthy either, and I understand their purpose in society as well. Agreed, anyone can succeed, but not anyone does succeed either. Let us skip the inevitable, but Oprah did it comments. My point is this: money, like matter, cannot be created or destroyed. What is present is all that we (the United States of America) have. The flaw of capitalism allows for a very elite percentage (thousands of a percent) to possess all of the money (through hard work and success). That is what is happening now and when it is complete, capitalism will fail. On a much smaller scale, this was the problem with Reaganomics. If we tax the rich less they will have more money to spend. When they spend that money they will keep the small business running which can keep the minimum wage clerk employed. Except one tiny problem, the rich did not spend that money as advertised and they kept it in savings earning interest. That interest came from the banks that employed the minimum wage clerk. So the banks shifted their concentrations and profited off of the investments of the rich in exchange for larger interest payments all at the expense of the minimum wage clerk that got laid off as a result. Bottom-line, I am not asking you to agree with me on this matter. I do not expect you to agree with me on this matter. Nor, will I agree with you on this matter. I am merely stating my opinion.

P.S. Sweet mustache.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 05/01/11 - 12:34 pm
Sometimes I think we all need

Sometimes I think we all need to degfine "fair"..cause it seems some folks think that 'fair' is when I pay more than they do..

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 05/01/11 - 01:02 pm
All that money in the banks

All that money in the banks earing interests gets loaned out i order to make that interest.

If what you say is true, how come there are no Rufus', Ali Khan's, De' Medici's, Fugger's, Crassus', Romanovs', Rothschilds', Somozas', Rockefeller's, Vanderbilt's, Carnegie's, and Astor's running the world today?

By far Henry Ford was one of the richest men in history, 188Billion in todays dollars, yet you don't see any Ford's running everything now.

There is only one truth, and from what I have seen with my own two eyes, most folks have no drive to become wealthy and that has NOTHING to do with opportunity.

By the way, I never met a poor man who created a bunch of jobs and paid a lot of taxes. In fact, form what I have seen, it is ONLY the welathy folks who create opportunities for the poor to move up through hard work and skill sets. Well, that and the Georgia Lottery..

Brad

P.S. Burt Reynolds Stache now gone (big frown)

carcraft
carcraft 05/01/11 - 01:38 pm
Iamrightyourwrong-The few

Iamrightyourwrong-The few that control the money keep changing as I have pointed out. There is no reason that through hard work and innovation you or anybody else can't achieve success. America is full of people Famous Amos, Oprah, Herman Cain, Bill Gates, the list goes on and on. We do not have a stagnant capitalautocrasy. If you don't keep up you lose out. Look at GM. Has unions hung around it's neck like the albatros in the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner and a corperation that is not innovating. There are thousands of Americans every day that innovate and invest in thier ideas. Some make it some don't. The ones that do get rewarded for their hard work.

Adder
Adder 05/03/11 - 04:10 pm
To ALL those that voted for

To ALL those that voted for "Fundamental transformation " All I can say to you now is "ENJOY!" Ha ha ha.

'Go Downtown' initiative gets mixed reviews

The "Go Downtown" initiative aims to foster a downtown environment that welcomes the college community and creates business for merchants. The event is held every third Thursday of the month ...