Put more energy into rehabbing felons

Recently the news has reported rehabilitation programs for people who have felonies on their records. No one is perfect, and I believe everyone deserves a second chance to do the right thing.

It seems as though it gets harder and harder to survive if you have done anything wrong in life. There are more prisons being built, and not enough people are speaking of rehabilitation. People can change if they are given a chance.

Some programs to assist felons are being ended because too few companies want to take chances on felons. I'm not saying all felons can change at once, but there are some who need to take care of their families, and when they aren't able to work there will be robberies and assaults.

I believe if you start at the root of the problem, maybe it will do a world of good. There always is a positive solution. Everyone doesn't have to be locked up. Find out why people are doing the crimes. Spend money on that instead of jails. Create jobs instead trying to keep people locked up.

Joyce Vincent

Augusta

corgimom
corgimom 03/31/11 - 07:41 am
That was a GREAT post,

That was a GREAT post, myfather15, I agree with you 100%!

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 03/31/11 - 07:52 am
Not everyone has the luck of

Not everyone has the luck of the draw to be in a bad situation then come out of it smelling like roses. People do bad things, yes, they do need to be punished, but the cost of punishing them is what you have to look at also. People want to cut welfare and freeloading, but I ask one question, who is paying to keep someone locked up? That cost more than welfare, because not only do we have to feed, clothe and provide menial medical care, but we must pay for the facility, the workers and the doctors that provide the oversight of prisoners.
What are they doing while locked up? What did they do to be locked up? Is it worth keeping them in prison instead of on the outside, where they should be trying to hold their own weight? Sometimes, I think criminals find it easier to be inside prison instead dealing with the responsiblity of being outside of it. We have not made prison a place where hardened criminals really want to avoid, so we must make a change somewhere to reinstall the fear of prison.

seenitB4
119175
seenitB4 03/31/11 - 08:33 am
myfather & onlysane....you

myfather & onlysane....you both have valid points......how do we make this happen ...it is needed right now.

mickl
mickl 03/31/11 - 08:51 am
only, ‘Not everyone has the

soldout
soldout 03/31/11 - 08:53 am
The rehab in prison that

The rehab in prison that really works is converting them to Christianty. Those that become a Christian have a very low ratio of returning to prison. That is where the effort needs to be spent. Wisdom is when we know what works and do it.

WW1949
WW1949 03/31/11 - 08:57 am
Ms. Vincent, Felons have a

Ms. Vincent, Felons have a hard time getting jobs because the lawyers have made it the employers responsibility if the felon commits a crime while on the job. What employer wants to take on that responsibility when they cannot control what the other person does?

soldout
soldout 03/31/11 - 09:10 am
WW1940 good words; we can

WW1940 good words; we can fix the lawyer problem by requiring each lawyer to a take lie detector test at the end of every trial. If you lied during a trial or civil case you lose your license. That would clean house quick.

WW1949
WW1949 03/31/11 - 09:25 am
I think it would clean house.

I think it would clean house.

Jane18
Jane18 03/31/11 - 10:18 am
Wow! When I began reading

Wow! When I began reading myfather15's comment, I was reading my own thoughts(except the borderline alcholic part, sorry). The only change and rehabilitation(?) of a person that commits a crime is punishment and a new mindset. Until their brain and common sense can be reached, it is a waste of time to want, or expect, them to change. Prison, and I mean hard time prison, is just what most criminals need and deserve. Whether some of you like it or not, there really are people that Do Not deserve to walk free, or even be alive on this earth. I wholeheartedly believe in the death penalty, and if it was utilized as it was intended, yeah, you'd see a big difference in murders and rape. I don't feel sorry for anyone that is guilty of any crime doing time, life, and yes, getting the needle(if they ever get that straightned out again)!

mickl
mickl 03/31/11 - 10:41 am
One very large part of

missaugusta07
missaugusta07 03/31/11 - 10:43 am
Okay,you're all saying put in

Okay,you're all saying put in jail for no matter what they have done,but what if a mother was caught stealing milk or food because she wanted to feed her child,she is sentenced to 2 years in jail.Is that teaching her a lesson,or putting her in jail to learn from hardened criminals to be a better criminal when she comes out.Now I don't think the letter meant that to keep rapist,killers,aggressive robbers,anyone that does violent crimes,I believe that they should punished according to the law.So it seems that everyone is perfect and never have done anything wrong ever,keep living because you never know what life will bring.No one has ever done or given me anything as well but it seems as though there is no compassion for anyone anymore,no matter what color...It's a sad.sad world when human beings act and treat each other like no one life matters.If you don't have religion,or a heart maybe both you need to start.You can call me whatever you want,but I will pray for all of you...

dani
dani 03/31/11 - 10:50 am
I don't know about job

I don't know about job creation for ex-felons. Maybe some road work, a program that was suggested previously such as the WPA.

Non-Felons, good hard-working people are looking for work, how about creating a few jobs for them.
There has been little job creation in some time with the exception of a few call centers.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 03/31/11 - 11:00 am
A dear friend of mine is a

A dear friend of mine is a Superior Court Judge. He's told me of many cases in his court similar to the one I'm referring to. A 29 year old man came to court for a child support hearing. He has 9 children with 8 women. He drives( thankfully he works ) a forklift for $9.00 an hour. Who supports these offspring? Who supports the 8 women? Rehabilitation, rehabilitate ( according to Webster's ) restore to a former capacity: REINSTATE; to restore to good repute: reestablish the good name of: to restore or bring to a condition of health or useful and constructive activity. Now let's say we rehabilitate the "father" by having him refrain from unprotected sex. What about the 9 children of illegitimate parents? How do we rehabilitate them? Let's just use a figure 100,000. 100,000 illegitimate parents procreate 9 children each. 900,000 children and I'm being very conservative with my figures. Who picks up the rehab tab? Who does the rehab? What standards are we going to use? How many of the parents are in prison? How many are in prison when the child is born? What "normal" constructive condition will these offspring assimilate into? Any answers, anybody?

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 03/31/11 - 02:00 pm
"only, ‘Not everyone has the

"only, ‘Not everyone has the luck of the draw to be in a bad situation then come out of it smelling like roses.’
Typical liberal statement it is ’the luck of the draw’. How about hard work and staying out off trouble?"

So mikl I'm assuming you are Jesus Christ and completely perfect and would NEVER EVER make a mistake right? Have you ever thought that the reason so many go on to be repeat offenders is attitudes like this? You let them out of jail and then make it impossible for them to have any kind of living...a lot of FAST FOOD restaurants won't even hire felons. It's hard enough to be hired with a simple misdemeanor in a lot of places these days. How are people supposed to show they've changed and stay on the good side of the law if no one gives them the opportunity to show it?

Don't misunderstand me; rape murder, attempt to, or commit some other heinous horror crime, and you deserve to get screwed, at least until you’ve proven to society that you can be trusted to abide by the law and conduct yourself in a manner befitting humans. But what’s to become of the other ones? Those that aren't killing people or deliberately getting nine year-olds hooked on heroin? I refer to those that experience lapses in judgment due to a combination of desperation, frustration, and fear, which actually makes up a great deal of our lawbreakers. Punishment is warranted in these situations, yes, but to operate the system in a manner that robs them of their earning potential is not only pointless, asinine, and counterproductive, it’s asking for trouble.

Everyone—and I mean everyone—has the God-given right to (within legal means, of course) eek out some sort of existence that in some way resembles a lifestyle. It doesn't need to be a great one, but a lifestyle nonetheless. If we take away their ability to be employed, we’ve taken from them the very foundation on which everything else is built; those things in life that hold so much significance for us all. A great deal of our self-esteem revolves around our accomplishments, our successes, and our belief in what we can achieve. There’s no question that our world would be a much better place if we were all contributing in some productive way to society, making something of ourselves and building a future for ourselves and our loved ones. The rationale behind demanding that we become contributing members of society and then removing the tools to do so completely escapes me, and I believe anyone else that stops to give it even a moments consideration.

Read more: http://socyberty.com/crime/felons-are-they-denied-the-tools-for-rehabili...

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 03/31/11 - 02:05 pm
Myfather you're delusional if

Myfather you're delusional if think only drug dealers are in jail....are you sure you were really a cop? By the way thanks for defending me in the other thread yesterday. I mean that. When I read it I almost spit out my coffee and thought maybe hell had frozen over lol!

"People sending their adult children to rehab, counseling to get "help" but as soon as they get out of the rehad, they go right back to doing what they were doing. They go to prison and get out and within hours are back to what they were doing."

I'll say this again:

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 03/31/11 - 02:04 pm
Right about now, someone

Right about now, someone reading this is and thinking, do the crime, pay the time. I can almost promise you, that same person is someone that has engaged in the consumption of alcoholic beverages and then operated a motor vehicle at least three times in his or her life, which regardless of having been caught or not, makes that person a felon. Does it make sense to take from them the ability to be employed?

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 03/31/11 - 02:09 pm
mickl: "One very large part

mickl: "One very large part of problem is young people are NOT taught personal accountability. Their parents, if they 2, are not teaching them correctly. Over 70% of black babies are born too single mothers."

Typical conservative logic, let's talk not about the issue at hand but about something completely different. I though the issue of the article was the cost of reforming criminals, not the issue of liberial thinking on some side note. Yes, luck of the draw, when you are hired, you never know what may have happened that day to get you your job, where you work hard at. Your car could have a problem and not make it to the job and you get fired. Luck, it's not just for liberals, you know. By the way, my view points are liberal nor conservative, but I see if I am not going the way you think than I must be opposed to you.

OhWell
OhWell 03/31/11 - 02:10 pm
Felons honestly looking for

Felons honestly looking for work can go through TOPSTEP that is a federal bonding program that bonds the felon not making employer liable and gives tax credits to the employer as well. This link is:

This is one program out there and from what I have been told is very good but most offenders are not motivated to do their part.

seabeau
seabeau 03/31/11 - 02:11 pm
One way to decrease jail time

One way to decrease jail time is to increase the number of crimes in which we impose the Death Sentence. Armed Robbery,Home Invasions , Aggravated Assult , Sexual Assults etc.,could all be declared capital crimes.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 03/31/11 - 02:21 pm
Citibank, the reality is that

Citibank, the reality is that when someone chooses to commit a crime that buys them prison time there are very unpleasant consequences to be had after prison. The motivation to 'eek out' some sort of lifestyle is commendable, but one of those nasty consequences to be paid is that you may start out your 'eek-ing' by doing the most menial labor society has to offer.

Some people don't realize that when you break society's trust by committing a felony (and going to prison) that trust must be earned all over again... no one is 'entitled' to a decent, respectable job after behaving in an indecent, disrespectable manner.

Felons who come out with a chip on their shoulder because they got caught, feeling they are entitled to anything the rest of us work for didn't learn a thing while incarcerated. Felons who come out better criminals (as one poster suggested) did so because that's what they focused on while serving time.... becoming a better criminal.

It's up to the individual to prove they want to play according to the rules after serving their time. Providing that 'proof' takes time and patience. You may not think that's right, but that's the way it is. The tools you mention are there.... the problem is that everyone wants a power drill when all they are entitled to use for a while is a screwdriver.

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 03/31/11 - 02:21 pm
Really Seabeau? That's how

Really Seabeau? That's how they do it in Iran, Iraq, and North Korea.

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 03/31/11 - 02:24 pm
I never came out with a chip

I never came out with a chip on my shoulder nor do I think anyone owed me anything. Of course I'm not a felon like I said my experience was a simple misdeamor possession for marijuana. But I do wish people would look at my work experience instead of always looking at the one mistake I made.

You know a lot of you claim to be Christians but you are some of the most judgmental people I've ever seen. Jesus helped many criminals...he forgive...he gave second chances. Maybe some of you should really start living by his word for once...

Like I said I don't think some people deserve it. Heinous crimes like rape, murder, pedophilia....never deserve a second chance in my book.

seabeau
seabeau 03/31/11 - 02:26 pm
Jesus! Proves that it

Jesus! Proves that it works!! No repeat crimes! You do the crime,and we'll do you!!

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 03/31/11 - 02:34 pm
We have a constitution that

We have a constitution that protects people from cruel and unusual punishment. If you don't like it feel free to move to one of the communist/religious theocracy dictatorships that doesn't allow it....Kim Jong Il and Ali Khamenei are waiting to take you in ;-)

seabeau
seabeau 03/31/11 - 02:47 pm
It would be neither cruel or

It would be neither cruel or unusual! Our Criminal Justice is cruel and unusual. The proof, because it allows hardended repeat offenders to prey on society with almost impunity from terror themselves. To restore the terror to those who would threaten society I would return to the use of the French Revolutions famous man killer ,The Guillotine for the most horrific effect on the evil doers.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 03/31/11 - 02:50 pm
Non violent offenders should

Non violent offenders should be given a chance and violent offenders should volunteer for vice undercover & to lead charges into drug houses, and other situations where lead is flying. If they live through enough drug house shootouts give them clemency and put them on the swat team or undercover vice. If we do not go back to the drawing board on the drug war none of this will do any good because it looks like the cartels will be in a POSITION TO OVERUN ANYTHING WE GOT IF WE KEEP handing THEM Billions WITH BAD LAWS.

faithson
faithson 03/31/11 - 02:55 pm
It all starts in the Home..

It all starts in the Home.. Until we can as a society give 'value' to our youngest and their childhood environment we are 'doing the same thing and expecting different results' (insanity). Having worked with CASA as an advocate for children in DFACS, I know from where I speak. You think it is bad now... we have a whole generation of 'degenerates' raising the next crop.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 03/31/11 - 04:20 pm
Malarkey - Most criminals

Malarkey - Most criminals from the start are criminals when they die. Yes, some change but VERY RARELY does it ever happen with violent offenders.

Lock em up with the option of the death penalty. Second chances are for petty crimes, drug use (not sales), traffic offenses, etc. not for violent offenders.

As for murderers, rapists and those of the such, they should be put to death after trial, period.

We don't need more laws, we don't need gun control, we don't need enabling social programs - we need law abiding responsible citizesn who accept responsibility and face the consequences of their actions head on.

dougk
dougk 03/31/11 - 04:55 pm
The only knowledge that most

The only knowledge that most of you have on this topic (crime and justice) comes from the media and maybe some anecdotal stories. Either gives a very distorted view of reality. I invite you to check out the criminological literature to better understand that most your preconceived notions that you state as fact are mostly wrong.

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 03/31/11 - 05:29 pm
Dougk, Who were you talking

Dougk,

Who were you talking to there???

Davis seeks storm fee break for schools

Mayor Hardie Davis' proposal, distributed to the 10-member commission this week, says the fee could result in furlough days and lost instruction time for the school system.