Christians should refuse to be bullied

We can be glad for the recent attention on bullying at school and at work. It motivates us to identify these bullies in society and expose their real weakness.

Prime examples of bullies can be found in the American Civil Liberties Union and the gay-lesbian-bisexual-transgender community. ACLU members bully Christians for exercising their First Amendment rights, threatening lawsuits and arrests when they feel offended. The GLBT community bullies individuals, and even private companies such as Chick-fil-A that don't bow down and embrace its agenda.

But Christians are claiming their constitutional rights and engaging this society of bullies with the truth of God's word. It's futile to fight truth. As Martin Luther's famous hymn states, "The body they may kill, God's truth abideth still. His kingdom is forever." Bullies lose!

Kathryn Lehn

Martinez

JamieMcG
JamieMcG 02/14/11 - 11:53 pm
Kathryn, I'm aware that adult

Kathryn, I'm aware that adult bullies exist but it is utterly ignorant of you to compare the people who are literally bullying young LGBT children to DEATH, to someone threatening a lawsuit against someone's bigoted behavior.

How could you possibly walk around in public knowing that you are comparing 13-year old Asher Brown who shot himself in the head because of the anti-gay taunting he received to that poor little defenseless fast food chain, Chik-fil-A? What is wrong with you? Have you no heart or soul?

Any actual Christian I have known would never be so callous as to even consider this kind of comparison. You should be utterly ashamed of yourself.

IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG
IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG 02/15/11 - 12:46 am
Kathryn, you speak of

Kathryn, you speak of “bullying” as though only one side is being “bullied.” Also, given the greater context of the situation, I would have to believe your word choice is poor. Please do not be so naïve as to only reflect on one side of the matter. As for your opinion, you are entitled to that as you indicated with your First Amendment rant.

usapatriot
usapatriot 02/15/11 - 01:38 am
No. Worldwide, Christians

No. Worldwide, Christians are persecuted. Whether a WWII monument n the form of a cross in the CA desert, 14 crosses in UT memorializing UT State troopers killed in the line of duty, Christians in the Middle East (Egypt included) to Christmas displays in small town squares.

Christians are a majority letting themselves be cornered by a minority. That much has to change. Those who claim inclusion and tolerance are the ones with the least tolerance towards Christianity.

I am not a regular Church attending Christian. But it doesn't take that to see how our beliefs are so easily attacked by others as if swatting a fly.

The mere mention of Christian beliefs here will bring a torrent of responses charging anti-gay, abortion, tolerance, etc.

Who teaches you folks that?

You want your beliefs and agenda, yet seek to deny a Christian's faith. Our own President's administration sought to temper perceptions of Islamic radicalism.

His DHS Sec had to refer to Islamic terrorism as "manmade natural disasters", never saying any form of the word "terror".

Now there's a joke.

Seems like last week in front of the House GOP committee, she used "terror, terrorism, terrorist" over 60 times.

Christians have a Bible to guide them. What does NAMBLA, ACLU or GLBT have to guide them?

I'm sure you'll have that answer, but I'll be secure in mine.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 02/15/11 - 06:05 am
sounds like a warped sense of

sounds like a warped sense of reality

Jackson
Jackson 02/15/11 - 08:18 am
Hey Patriot have you ever

Hey Patriot have you ever been to Arlington Cemetary? There are crosses there as far as the eye can see. I'm not disagreeing with you because I concur with pretty much everything you posted but I haven't noticed Christians being bullied by GLBT. I personally would never let myself be bullied by anyone because of my faith.
They'd be messing with the wrong guy!
I don't know why the sight of anything Christian gets some folks worked up. I guess their life is so boring they have to mess with someone elses.

fd1962
fd1962 02/15/11 - 08:26 am
Isn't writing a letter under

Isn't writing a letter under the influence of Prozac against Chronicle policy?

fd1962
fd1962 02/15/11 - 08:30 am

soldout
soldout 02/15/11 - 08:39 am
great letter; The Christians

great letter; The Christians are holding this society together and it would fall apart like a two dollar suitcase without them. Christians should stand up, speak out and be the light of the world. You are the only hope for a civil society. There is no law that says you can't be as involved and create as much influence as possible. The Bible says even the wicked are happier when the righteous are in leadership.

follower 02/15/11 - 08:45 am
fd1962, you don't address the

fd1962, you don't address the content of the letter, you attack the writer.

Just following the party line?

fd1962
fd1962 02/15/11 - 09:13 am
Stop bullying me, follower.

Stop bullying me, follower.

follower 02/15/11 - 09:49 am
fd1962, now that's funny. lol

fd1962, now that's funny. lol ;)

Nikki H
Nikki H 02/15/11 - 10:44 am
This is literally one of the

This is literally one of the dumbest articles I have ever read. In all my 58 years of living in America, not once have I seen someone denied housing, employment, or asked to leave a public place for being a Christian. As a Trans woman, I routinely experience the sting of rejection and discrimination. How many Christian picnics or events have you been to where people hold picket signs saying "God Hates Fags"?
Yes, in some Muslim countries Christians are persecuted. In these same countries GLBT folks are put in prison, tortured, and often raped and killed. Even in Egypt, a fairly progressive Arab country, a gay man who posted a profile on a gay dating site received 17 years in prison with hard labor.
In Uganda, the Parliament is actually considering passing a bill to make being GLBT punishable by life in prison or death. Also, just knowing someone GLBT and not reporting them to police is a punishment of 3 years in jail.
Frankly, I think Christians are some of the most brainwashed and intolerant people on earth. It is no wonder people dislike them because their behavior is so mean spirited.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/15/11 - 10:57 am
What I find disturbing is the

What I find disturbing is the double standard. The GLBT community can gripe and complain when Christians disagree with the pride parades in their towns and talk about discrimination, but you have a privately owned Christian business who has long been transparent about it's Chrisitan values and the GLBT community want to discriminate against them because they are providing meals to a marriage seminar "Art of Marriage Conference" lead by an anti-gay organization. And the Christian community isn't suppose to gripe and complain about it. There has even been boycotts and proposals from college students to remove the restaurant from campuses. I guess the gay community now wants to tell the Christians what they can and can not believe, where they can and can not eat, and where Christian businesses can conduct business. These are definitely dark days...Come Lord Jesus, Come.

Jane18
Jane18 02/15/11 - 11:15 am
To all of my CHRISTian

To all of my CHRISTian bothers and sisters, don't let the worldly people get to you. We are can do people and if the bad guys in JESUS' life hated and eventually crucified HIM, what is so hard for us? All the way back to Adam and Eve's time, from the garden on, there has been opposition to GOD and HIS WORD(actually before then when that old serpent, satan, lucifer, and other names, went bad and wanted to be GOD). Just don't give up the good fight, GOD will be faithful to those who are faithful to HIM. You do know we will be winners with HIM, don't you?

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/15/11 - 11:36 am
Jane18, you are right. Jesus

Jane18, you are right. Jesus did not worry about what others thought of him. All he cared for was his heavenly agenda that concerned fulfilling God’s will and obeying his voice even if it brought opposition. May we be so like Him. We are not on this earth to please man.

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 02/15/11 - 11:47 am
Well my wife must be a

Well my wife must be a Christian because she sure ain't pleasing me.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/15/11 - 12:08 pm
Well Boogaloo, if your wife's

Well Boogaloo, if your wife's a Christian and she ain't pleasing you, then she ain't pleasing God either.

Nikki H
Nikki H 02/15/11 - 01:02 pm
@InChristslove: If you are a

@InChristslove: If you are a church you have the right to accept or deny membership according to your faith teachings. If, however, you are operating a public business then you must comply with laws that all public businesses are required to follow. That means having a license to operate your business, paying taxes, and local, State, and Federal Laws on hiring and discrimination etc. Most municipalities do not allow discrimination based on gender, religion, race, nationality and many are adding sexual orientation and gender identity/expression. No one wants to work for a company that treats them like a second class citizen or considers them an abomination. In reality, these "Christian" oriented businesses will attract people who are comfortable working in that environment but if they want to operate as a public business they should not be allowed to break the law and discriminate.

karenmschrader
karenmschrader 02/15/11 - 01:17 pm
Kathryn, I am a Christian

Kathryn, I am a Christian Woman, a full member of my Church, a memeber of the Church Social justice Team, a community Crime Watch Leader, and volunteer to many charities. You know, our Church does not teach the hatred of others like your does. Ours teaches that Jesus came to world to save everyone and his message was one of LOVE for all even your enemies. Your Church appears to be STUCK in the Patriarchal times of the old testament and believe those principals and Gods law still apply. You are sadly mistaken. Since Christs Birth, Death and Resurrection we have ALL been granted Gods saving grace. We are not NOT to judge others and we are to treat others as we wish to be treated.

I worship faithfully and follow Gods way and I refuse to be a hater or to do things your way. LGBT people are ALL Gods children, each and EVERY ONE. The oppressed will inherit the earth.. Hum, I wonder who the oppressors might be Kathryn. But it is not for me to judge lest I be judged.

I am YOUR sister in Christ and if you hate and condemn me then you also hate and condemn yourself. You should ask your Church to bring themselves from the period of men are better than women and they must be obeyed. Tell them to stop trying to control peoples minds with their bigoted views and start following Christs view.

Our Church is open to every one. Straight, lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender. We worship, we fellowship and we work together to bring Gods TRUTH to the world instead of the lies you are preaching.

By the way I am a transsexual woman and worship openly as a lesbian couple with my wife in our congregation. And even though you may hate me or even us we love you my sister and we DO forgive you for spreading misinformation and lies and doing so int he name of the Lord.

God Bless you,
Karen Michelle Schrader

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/15/11 - 01:25 pm
Nikki, Independent

Nikki, Independent chick-fil-a franchised operators hire their own employees and the operators abide by federal and state labor laws. Just so you know, I know of at least one, possibly two area locations that has hired gays (I know because they are friends of mine) but just because the company wants to cater food to an event who happens to promote hetersexual marriage counseling, the GLBT group wants to make out like Chick-Fil-a is against gays......so far from the truth. It's just another way the GLBT community can stir up trouble and make noise. If you will read their website you'll find that Chick-fil-a DOES NOT discriminate or treat their employees as second class citizens. You are so off base in your evaluation of this company.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/15/11 - 01:38 pm
Karen, it is not my place to

Karen, it is not my place to judge you and you are correct in saying that God loves all people but you are only a child of God if you have acknowledge you are a sinner, asked for forgiveness and accepted Christ as your Savior. We are not all God's Children. We are all God's creation but you are not a part of the Kingdom of God unless you have been born again through Jesus Christ.

We, as God's people should welcome all to come and worship but no where does it say int he Bible that we are to accept sin. Christ himself said He can not look upon sin. According to His Word, sexual immorality is a sin and to continue to live in sin is in disobediance to God's will.

"These people draw near to Me with their mouth, and honor Me with their lips, but their heart is far from Me. And in vain they worship Me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’ ” Matthew 15:8-9

All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. 2 Timothy 3:16

When we correct and teach truth, that is not judgment against our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/15/11 - 01:51 pm
All thoughout the Bible, from

All thoughout the Bible, from Genesis to Revelations, when relationship is spoken about it is always between man and woman, husband and wife. Instructions on marriage, how we are to treat our spouse, is always in reference to man and woman, male and female, husband and wife. Why isn't it ever spoken in acceptable terms at least ONCE in the Bible, instructions and guidance for intimate relationship between woman and woman, or man and man?

fd1962
fd1962 02/15/11 - 02:33 pm
Though logically and clearly

Though logically and clearly stated, your philosophy is remarkably exclusionary, ICL. To declare that one's existence cannot embrace the Kingdom of God save for adherence to your worldly definitions, seems designed to create the very tensions and conflicts living a godly life should resolve. It's certainly condemning to oblivion millions who earnestly believe in 'one God who has no intermediaries' and are leading exemplary lives. Do you expect them to cheerfully embrace your denunciation? It's not exactly like saying they're having a bad hair day or something.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/15/11 - 02:58 pm
It's not my philosphy fd1962

It's not my philosphy fd1962 or my worldly definitions, it's straight from the Word of God. It is not my law but the law of God. He gives you a choice, accept him or deny him, it's your choice. According to the Word of God leading an exemplary life will not get you to heaven. We are all sinners, some are saved by grace and have accepted the gift of life from the Father and some are still of the opinion that good works will get them to heaven. No where have I denunciated anyone. It is not my job to condemn anyone, only speak the truth of His Word.

Isa.64:6 All our righteousnesses are as filthy rags
Rom.3:10 There is none righteous, no not one

Jesus said “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. —John 14:6

Eph.2:8,9 For by grace are ye saved through faith, not of yourselves...not of works

Like I said, you don't have to believe the Truth but that doesn't make it any less the truth and by no means exclusionary. Christ would wish all to come to know Him as Lord and Savior. How much more inclusionary can it be.

Nikki H
Nikki H 02/15/11 - 03:00 pm

This is a link to a personal story of life as a gay in Jamaica. I suggest everyone refrain from spending tourist dollars there.

fd1962
fd1962 02/15/11 - 03:17 pm
"...Straight from the Word of

"...Straight from the Word of God." But, ICL, you stated earlier that 'All Scripture is inspired by God,' which implies that it is nevertheless written by man. You can't say that all scripture is written by God. 'When we correct (the behavior of others) and teach truth (as we define it)', it certainly connotes judgment against our fellow brothers and sisters in my interpretation of the term. Your statement is a masquerade.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/15/11 - 03:34 pm
fd1962, I fail to see your

fd1962, I fail to see your point. If all scripture is inspired by God, which is God-breathed does it really make a difference if man penned the words that God breathed or that God himself took the pen and wrote them, they are still the Word of God. When a person gives a testimony and the words are written down do you not say these are the words of so-and-so. Just because they didn't write the words themselves does not make then any less their words.

fd1962, there is a difference in condemning judgement and instruction, corecting and training in the ways of righteousness.

fd1962
fd1962 02/15/11 - 03:54 pm
With all respect, ICL,

With all respect, ICL, assuming the accuracy of what you say, if inspired men penned the scripture which God breathed, then why didn't all men pen the same words? Why are there so many different versions?

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 02/15/11 - 04:05 pm
The ACLU (A.ll C.reeps L.ike

The ACLU (A.ll C.reeps L.ike U.s)" can't even read a whole paragraph such as the last part of their most quoted pargraph "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". Plus these morons don't know anything about real science. Real Science counts time backwards because we know that happened, not forward from 4.5 Billion years ago to support their debunked molecules to man theory.

burninater
burninater 02/15/11 - 04:17 pm
Karen Michelle Schrader, you

Karen Michelle Schrader, you are doing the hard work that will allow Christianity to survive and thrive in the coming decades. Movements based on the segregation and condemnation of others, solely for an identity that brings no harm to society, have fallen time and again throughout history. The repeated failure of these types of movements throughout history clearly shows that given a free voice, the majority of humans choose compassion over condemnation.

Christianity would best involve itself with the teachings of Christ, not the package of ideas that his followers bundled together in the decades following his death, or the old order that Christ Himself stated He was overthrowing. Not one word passes Christ's lips concerning homosexuality specifically. Rather, His explicit statements concerning how we should treat one another directly refutes those that would seek other sources than Christ's words for their "inspiration". The gall of those that directly contradict Christ's message, yet call themselves "Christian", is fascinating.