Black commissioners get undue scrutiny

It seems to be a pattern with the daily newspaper to harshly criticize black Augusta commissioners when they question issues of concern to their constituents.

And that pattern is becoming more apparent as time passes.

First, it was Marion Williams. The paper never had much good to say about him after he was elected to office as a commissioner. However, before that, when he was running to replace Freddie Handy, Mr. Williams walked on water, and was the best thing since sliced bread, as far as The Chronicle was concerned.

Now, like Mr. Williams, Commissioner Alvin Mason is the culprit, the one holding back progress, according to your editorial. What is wrong with getting information before committing to a vote? As I understand it, none of the commissioners are against giving the administrator additional powers to make the government run efficiently. The questions are how do you do it and do it legally. The city attorney is just that -- an attorney, not a judge.

In the wake of all these opinions floating around, the court is the only place that can settle this issue.

Let's get a ruling there and move forward ASAP.

Sideshow Bob
Sideshow Bob 02/13/11 - 08:25 am
Have any of the people who

Have any of the people who received the scrutiny you speak of, were NOT criminals? Jeez

omnomnom
omnomnom 02/13/11 - 06:26 am
Sideshow, your

Sideshow, your comment/rhetorical question makes no sense.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 02/13/11 - 07:15 am
Grady, When people like Mr.

Grady, When people like Mr. Williams and Mr Mason act like they have AFTER getting elected they should be criticized whether they are black, white or purple. Quit playing the race card. A man of your statue should be above that. Mr Mason's recent outburst was uncalled for. Read Sylvia Cooper's column in today's paper.

TruthJusticeFaithHope
TruthJusticeFaithHope 02/13/11 - 08:32 am
Mr. Williams was, and is, an

Mr. Williams was, and is, an angry, man with the worst grammar of any elected official I have ever seen. He is a hater. Williams loved to cause controversy, apparently just to get attention. He seldom made sense, and always played the "race card." Keeping Augusta divided appears to have been his purpose. Your point, Mr. Grady, would have been made so much better had you left the worst example of a commissioner out of your letter. Mr. Mason does have a right to gather information and to express his concerns. Please do not disrespect Mr. Mason by comparing him to Mr. Williams.

seenitB4
81914
seenitB4 02/13/11 - 09:10 am
Oh pleeeezeee....throw the

Oh pleeeezeee....throw the race card in the mix .....try something new for a change .....we have a black President & Attorney General now....so the race card just won't get it anymore, MOVE ON!

southernguy08
southernguy08 02/13/11 - 09:17 am
SEENIT, have you seen the

SEENIT, have you seen the posts by supporters of Obama and Holder? Playing the race card is more popular than ever. Guess you can't blame them. You have to use something when you can't defend their incompetence.

DuhJudge
DuhJudge 02/13/11 - 09:17 am
The issue of administrator or

The issue of administrator or manager is a legitimate question that was a part of Mr. Masons message in his original election campaign. He is probably passioate about the issue because of his own perspective and analysis.

seenitB4
81914
seenitB4 02/13/11 - 09:33 am
southernguy...What some don't

southernguy...What some don't realize is that having a black President is a 2 edge sword....now it will be hard to say that blacks are disadvantaged & can't get promoted because of color....that makes me wonder if we had all blacks in the WH would we still hear woe is me....the race card debate...
If you can't make it in today's world it is because you didn't try hard enough ---didn't get the education you needed---didn't stay healthy----didn't put your money on productive pursuits---hung around with a crowd of losers....so LOOK in the mirror & stop blaming others!

chascush
chascush 02/13/11 - 11:00 am
duhjudge, ‘He is probably

duhjudge, ‘He is probably passioate about the issue because of his own perspective and analysis.’
Oh yeah, I guess that is the reason he missed ½ the meetings to discuss it. Get real!

par 3
par 3 02/13/11 - 11:07 am
One thing this community

One thing this community fears most is any discussion pertaining to race. I know Mr. Abrams. He has been the one person in this town who has done all he could to avoid seeing race in every issue. Take the blinders off and listen to what this man has to say. He may be the only true independant voice out there that has the whole community at heart.
It would be refreshing to read comments in the paper seeking to bring us together rather than keep us apart. There seems to be a vanguard of people who do not want to debate issues. They rather call names and act like inmature children. Until we can have an intelligent conversation on race, we always will be throwing epithets at one another and remaining divided.

Remember, "a nation divided cannot stand," and nor can a community.

Mr. Abrams has contributed a lot to this community. And he doesn't hide behind anonymity. Your negative comments are not going to diminish his voice.

seenitB4
81914
seenitB4 02/13/11 - 11:23 am
par 3... did you read the

par 3... did you read the title of the article?? Blacks get undue scrutiny...that is what generated the comments....we have had this same song & dance for 60 years or more.....it doesn't work anymore.

charliemanson
charliemanson 02/13/11 - 11:35 am
SeenitB4:"we have a black

SeenitB4:"we have a black President & Attorney General now....so the race card just won't get it anymore, MOVE ON!"
----------
Blacks held high positions in the govt after the Civil War. Racism/prejudice didn't disappear. It just reshaped itself into the various Jim Crow laws.

par 3
par 3 02/13/11 - 11:38 am
seenitB4, Mr. Abrams does not

seenitB4, Mr. Abrams does not choose title of letters, the paper does. We still are not a perfect union,yet. Your comments help keep it that way.

seenitB4
81914
seenitB4 02/13/11 - 11:49 am
charlie & par....We will

charlie & par....We will never have a perfect union.....& it won't have anything to do with color...prejudice will ALWAYS be with us..
Do you think I would be welcomed into the millionaire Buckhead society...lol....not hardly...I don't run in that circle..I can't spend $500 on a pair of shoes (don't want to either) I can't take vacations in Paris-& my own private island either..
President Bush was slammed more than any president I've seen in the last 25 years or so.....could he or did he blame that on color??
My comments might make some uncomfortable...so be it...I'm tired of any negative comment made toward a black blamed on the race card...like I said MOVE ON--I didn't have everything I wanted growing up either....pc won't be in my comments, just don't read my posts.

par 3
par 3 02/13/11 - 11:59 am
truthjusticefaithhope, Mr.

truthjusticefaithhope, Mr. Abrams did not make a comparison between Mr Williams and Commissioner Mason. He stated a fact about the paper's reporting. Read his letter again for clarity.

par 3
par 3 02/13/11 - 12:12 pm
scoobydoisback, the problem I

scoobydoisback, the problem I have with your comment is that every time a black opens his mouth, you speak as if he does not have a right to do so. Perhaps, it is your negative voice on the issue of race that keeps it an issue. Why not do your grandchildren a favor, so that they wont have to continue the race fight. Why not spend time trying to have a decent dialogue about race, rather than throwing negative comments toward blacks who bring the subject up.

par 3
par 3 02/13/11 - 12:21 pm
omnomnom, you said Mr. Abrams

omnomnom, you said Mr. Abrams comments and questions made no sense. Could you point out what part of what he said that did not make sense? Or was it that it did not make sense to you? When you are prejudice toward another race, nothing makes sense that they say, because it is not what you believe. The whole world revolves around what you say, huh?

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 02/13/11 - 12:36 pm
par3, I did not bring up the

par3, I did not bring up the subject of race, Mr Abrams did. I only called him on it.

par 3
par 3 02/13/11 - 12:40 pm
southernguy08, I would like

southernguy08, I would like to meet you meet you. You may be our next president, since you know when a president is competent or not. I bet you went to Harvard, Yale or University of Georgia. Just because you are southern does not mean that you have to disparage blacks.

par 3
par 3 02/13/11 - 01:29 pm
seenitB4, Yes, prejudice will

seenitB4, Yes, prejudice will always be with us, and so will hate. But does that mean that we should hate?

I realize that people gravitate toward their kind. I have no problem with that, so long they do not try to fence me in, or out, I should say.

There were some blacks who may have hated former president Bush for his race, and nothing else. Many blacks still take issue with inhuman treatment over the course of America's history. It may not be justified blaming this present generation for it, unless they are continuing the legacy of past generations. There is still a lot of hate and distrust between the races. I will be the first to admit that. And I hope you can agree with me on that point. That hate is to both of our shame. I will be willing to work with you to eradicate it. Just say when.

Lastly, we cannot dismiss the fact that we are still living in a race- conscience society. There are times when race is the issue, and it should be called out as such. Period.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 02/13/11 - 01:57 pm
Par3 You accused me of making

Par3 You accused me of making remarks that were negative toward blacks. I have checked my comments back for over two months and I find that today's comment is the only one that contains any reference to race or blacks. You have accused me unjustly.

follower 02/13/11 - 02:02 pm
Have you noticed the

Have you noticed the Chronicle doesn't "call out" or criticize Walter Williams, Clarence Thomas, Herman Cain, Condi Rice, J.C. Watts, Alan Keyes, and countless other conservative blacks?

Could it be WHAT those that receive criticism stand for, and not their color?

It's the ideology my friends, not the color. Mr. Abrams is smart enough to know that, as are many others that play the race card. Obviously it's the only defense left when their ideology has run out of legitimate defenses.

seenitB4
81914
seenitB4 02/13/11 - 02:16 pm
par 3..I think we have done a

par 3..I think we have done a fairly good job getting along with different races in the USA....but as far as changing everyones mind, well that is asking for the impossible.....most of our differences will be over the class of people...such as very very rich---medium rich---kinda rich---sorta rich---middle class--low middle class--poor---very very poor---down right flat out BROKE! Yeh I'm going to the extreme here BUT there is a lot of truth in money talks..
Are you lonely today.....maybe you should go to the par 3 & hit a few balls....would probably make you feel much better...lol....
btw I don't see Oprah Winfrey excluded from any group ...lol...she could be purple & folks would still include her....could it be MONEY!!!!
seeya later .....things to do...

par 3
par 3 02/13/11 - 04:20 pm
Follower, are we living in a

Follower, are we living in a post racial society, as you tend to be saying? If so, your comment does not carry water. Trouble is, we are not, whether you want to accept it or not. Why don't you and I work together to make it what you think it is. Don't use a few blacks to point out that we do not have race problems, because they are successful. You are not going to get off that easily. For every Herman Cain, there are thousands of others blacks, who look like Cain and thinks like him, who are not making it, in some cases, because of their race. It is not always effort that gets one ahead. Race still is the big elephant is the room.

The question of playing the race card is in the eyes of the beholder. People of a different race have learned to play the race card with the use of another word: Socialism.

Can we all just get along?

Emerydan
Emerydan 02/13/11 - 04:32 pm
Mr Abrams does raise some

Mr Abrams does raise some valid points, but unfortunately the knee jerk reaction seems to always be "race card! Race card!"

WW1949
WW1949 02/13/11 - 04:37 pm
seenitB4. You are right.

seenitB4. You are right. People naturally gravitate to people with their same interests, same moral character and same or close to the same precieved amounts of money. I do not fault them for that. It is only natural to be around and socialize with like kind. That is also why there are private clubs that are by invitation only.

Emerydan
Emerydan 02/13/11 - 04:46 pm
Mr Abrams does raise some

Mr Abrams does raise some valid points. Though Mr Mason was a bit theatrical and abrasive in his delivery, he did raise some questions that need more scrutiny. I also wonder why The Chronicle did not rebuke Jerry Brigham for initially blocking the release of the legal opinion of the city attorney over the legality of the 6 man vote to make these changes rather than a change in city charter. Mr Brigham was the only commissioner blocking the release.. was that also not childish and politically motivated? Did his actions also only serve to create more distrust and aggravate tensions on the body? So why was only Mason chastised by the paper? I think this is the kind of double standard that Mr Abrams is talking about.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 02/13/11 - 04:48 pm
Mr Abrams is a good man who

Mr Abrams is a good man who has done a lot for our community. I have admired him for years but he was out of line with this letter. Marion Williams was a joke and a disgrace to the people he represented. Mr Mason was grandstanding about the changes that Mr Russell recommended. They both deserved the criticism they received. Now, lets move on.

chascush
chascush 02/13/11 - 07:58 pm
par3, ‘People of a different

par3, ‘People of a different race have learned to play the race card with the use of another word: Socialism.’
It is quite interesting that you use the terms socialism and racism together. That sounds a lot like the folks that are calling for ‘Social Justice’

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/13/11 - 11:34 pm
Considering this city's

Considering this city's history with commissioners I think they should ALL be scrutinized closely and constantly.