Skin color shouldn't trump substance

I almost fell over laughing when I read that South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley is being criticized by members of the Legislative Black Caucus for -- get this -- lacking racial diversity in her Cabinet picks.

This is unbelievable! How much racial diversity does the Legislative Black Caucus exhibit? What kind of example do they set? Why do you think they call it the Legislative Black Caucus? This is a crystal-clear example of left-wing ideology. With liberals, it is always "do as I say," not "do as I do."

As elected representatives of the people of South Carolina, these people are a disgrace.

If they were doing the job they were elected to do, the members of South Carolina's Legislative Black Caucus would be examining and commenting on the governor's appointees for their competence and the content of their character, not the color of their skin.

But therein lies the rub. These people may have won elections, but they do not represent the common interests of the people of South Carolina -- any more so than do the members of the Congressional Black Caucus represent the broader interests of the people of the United States. They don't even represent the best interests of the black community.

One could certainly say the very same thing about the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. These organizations actively work against the common good of those for whom they claim to speak.

But they're all good Democrats. Why should we expect them to be any different?

Tony Howard

Augusta

Haki
Haki 02/07/11 - 12:27 am
Clearly, this was written to

Clearly, this was written to get a rise. Shame on you Sir!

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 02/07/11 - 07:05 am
Mr.Howard, eloquently said.

Mr.Howard, eloquently said. The truth is a tough pill for some to swallow. The truth shall rise again.

old49er
old49er 02/07/11 - 07:11 am
There should be no such thing

There should be no such thing as a Legislative Black Caucus, or a Caucasian Caucus, or Asian Caucus, or anything of the sort. These people are elected by the people of a particular district to represent ALL of the people within that district, not just those of a particular race. They should be recalled for not fulfilling their elected responsibilities.

southernguy08
southernguy08 02/07/11 - 07:51 am
Can you imagine the outrage

Can you imagine the outrage if some white legislator tried to begin a CONGRESSIONAL WHITE CAUCUS? Hollywood and the press would crucify him too. And HAKI, its called news.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/07/11 - 08:14 am
Guess they forgot she is

Guess they forgot she is Indian?

DuhJudge
DuhJudge 02/07/11 - 08:26 am
Black Caucus refers to a

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/07/11 - 10:03 am
whitley & riverman....you are

whitley & riverman....you are so right......
population stats......in the USA
w-79.6%
b- 12.9%
hispanic- 15.8%..........pop about 308 million in the US
At this rate the hispanics will overtake us & we won't have the b-w arguments any more------we will have to learn spanish. ;)

WW1949
WW1949 02/07/11 - 10:28 am
The names of the groups say

The names of the groups say it all. Look at the pictures and see who those groups represent. The black population is going to have a big problem soon because the hispanics do not like blacks. Hispanics are reporducing at a large rate. And they are getting their medical care on our dime.

chascush
chascush 02/07/11 - 10:58 am
Haki, ‘Clearly, this was

Haki, ‘Clearly, this was written to get a rise. Shame on you Sir!
He might have written it to get a rise but that does not change the fact that it is absolutely true.

dani
dani 02/07/11 - 11:33 am
The Hispanics are pushing

The Hispanics are pushing non-working Americans to the bottom rung of the social ladder. The Dems want their votes so they will make it happen.

follower 02/07/11 - 11:56 am
I wonder if this is the same

I wonder if this is the same Tony Howard that leads a band and sings at several venues in Augusta?

Regardless, good words, and if so, good shows.

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/07/11 - 12:14 pm
Fortunately, governors are

Fortunately, governors are about the only ones left who can still hire those who they think can do the best job without being hauled in front of some EEO agency and forced to hire someone that will oppose everything they try to do. Any "black caucus" is by definition a racist orgranization banded together to promote issues that are not necessarily for the good of the whole. I understand why they do it. I suppose it is an acceptable way of doing things under our system. But they should not be given any more credibility, influence, or publicity beyond the number of votes they can muster at the roll call. They can stand together over in one corner and shake their fingers and call people names all they want. But it is getting tiresome to have the most single minded racially motivated groups of people in this country grabbing headlines by inferring other people are the racists. Hello. Look at a group photo if you want to see a lack of racial diversity that is intentional.

Chillen
Chillen 02/07/11 - 12:25 pm
Skin color is irrelevant.

Skin color is irrelevant. Job performance, character and ability are all that matter. The sooner society accepts this the better.

No special treatment should be given to ANYONE for ANY reason!!!

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/07/11 - 01:20 pm
I wish they were all

I wish they were all African-American...would that make them happy?

iLove
iLove 02/07/11 - 01:36 pm
"Black Caucus refers to a

"Black Caucus refers to a culture not color. It represents a minority that finds its strength by sticking together. And I promise you that there are plenty of other Caucuses that do the same thing but do not use a color in their name."

iLove
iLove 02/07/11 - 01:40 pm
follower - I wonder the same

follower - I wonder the same thing. . . .not that it matters. Truth is truth. MAJORITY of SC politicians need to get their acts together. What kind of example is being set? The way people in SC think will shock you. . . .not so much the "CSRA" SC, but a little deeper into the state.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/07/11 - 01:57 pm
"Black Caucus refers to a

"Black Caucus refers to a culture not color"

Yeah, I mean they allow white foiks to be a member as long as they have the right cultural background right? No?

Hmmmmmm...

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 02/07/11 - 02:10 pm
The Voting Rights Act of 1965

The Voting Rights Act of 1965 was written to subjugate ( enslave, have beholding, begging) 16 states, mostly Southern. It's initial purpose was to prevent the suppression of the black vote. Honorable enough. Attorneys for the aclu, naacp and the "department of justice" found an opportunity to bastardize this law to control ( by government directive, keyword government) Caucasian Americans. Without the "blessing" of the d.o.j. we're held hostage to the congressional black caucus, aclu, d.o.j., naacp, new black panthers, democrat's whimsy, and a constitution that is being rewritten. Take heed! The young people of tomorrow will pay for the folly of today.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/07/11 - 02:59 pm
Excellent letter on all

Excellent letter on all levels.

chascush
chascush 02/07/11 - 03:06 pm
ilove, 'The way people in SC

ilove, 'The way people in SC think will shock you. . . .not so much the "CSRA" SC, but a little deeper into the state.’
Perhaps you can explain? People in SC think differently than say people in GA?

phuthangh8
phuthangh8 02/07/11 - 03:58 pm
there is a white caucus,it's

there is a white caucus,it's called the u.s. senate.the black caucas is not the only caucas in the political world.
as for the naacp and other organization they will always be needed in america as long as we have people in the legislature saying things like there will be another slavery,and wanting to revert to the founders idea of a democracy where people are considered 3/5 of a person we'll forever be divided by race.as i read some your comments i shutter to think what would america be if some of you got into caucas.but maybe there is one that you're already a member but it's membership is like the old organization------it's secret

follower 02/07/11 - 04:04 pm
phuthangh8, racism is alive

chascush
chascush 02/07/11 - 04:44 pm
follower, ‘ phuthangh8,

follower, ‘ phuthangh8, racism is alive and well, just not as you think. An objective look in the mirror should be your first clue where it still exist.’
Don’t be too hard on 'phuthangh8', he/she is only repeating what is being taught by many black leaders in black communities and in many black churches.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 02/07/11 - 08:06 pm
The liberal thinking: If you

The liberal thinking: If you have no legitimate arguments to refute a fact, i.e. o.j. simpson murder trial, make snide innuendo and false claims at the top of your lungs. It doesn't have to have any bearing on the truth, just LOUD.

psholder
psholder 02/07/11 - 08:44 pm
Mr. Howard, let me put this

Mr. Howard, let me put this in context for you.
Let's pretend you and I are black; the minority. Almost every actor we see is white. Every time we watch the Miss USA pageant, the contestants are white. Whenever you see a CEO, they are white. Watch MTV, the singers are white. Heck, anytime we seen an image of Santa or go to the mall to sit in his lap; he's white. Also, please remember that you and I are looked down on in society. So, what should we do about this? I think we should create a WHITE Miss USA pageant. Oh, I know, I think we should create a Black Entertainment Television station...........call it say, "BET". You see where I am going, right?

So let me ask you Mr. Howard......
Did the racists attitude of the whites, over the course of hundreds of years, possibly lead the blacks to create organizations, contests, political parties to represent themselves where they felt they had no representation?

If so, then the Black Miss USA pageant is still allowed to point out the flaws, if there are any, within the contest that still shuns the blacks...............the "White" Miss USA pageant.
If so, then the Black Entertainment Tv is still allowed to point out the flaws, if there are any, within the entertainment Tv industry that still shuns the blacks...................the "White" Tv.
If so, then the Black Political caucus is still allowed to point out the flaws, if there are any, within an area of politics that still shuns the blacks...............the "White" Politics. They are still allowed because the reasons they were formed in the first place are still happening today and they are only still pointing it out.

I am white, btw!

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 02/07/11 - 10:06 pm
So psholder, then by the

So psholder, then by the illogical argument you put forth, we should have separate events for all ethnicities? I mean, if you can justify black only events, then why not ones for just Indians, Latinos, Asian, etc? Actually your liberal gibberish is just that, and not worth page space. After all, I thought we were all one big happy family right? Melting pot, etc. No? Wow. So much for the Rainbow Coalition eh?
You really can't have it both ways. Either you are part of the rich diversity of this great nation, willing to meld into the societal fabric, or you set yourselves apart by constantly mentioning your skin color before any other human quality, which I submit does nothing but further promote the ethnic divide. I am an American, btw!

chascush
chascush 02/07/11 - 10:18 pm
psholder, ‘I am white,

psholder, ‘I am white, btw!’
I have some ocean front property in AZ for sale.

lboogie618
lboogie618 02/07/11 - 11:14 pm
I agree, the person chosen

I agree, the person chosen for the job should be the best person for the job not there to fit some kind of quota. Find something else to worry about.

usapatriot
usapatriot 02/08/11 - 03:00 am
I'm never going to feel sorry

I'm never going to feel sorry for being white. I am never going to be made to feel guilty for slavery. No matter how accommodating I try to be, someone can come along and throw a race card.

I, for one, do not aquiesce to lame attempts to deny my pride in who I am. I have never denied anyone a chance to succeed.

I served 20 years. In the military, minorities are roughly 2 times the general population percentage. They achieve and succeed at the same level as whites. The numbers are public.

I know. I was trained and served as an Equal Opportunity Advisor for 3 yrs. I had to track my unit and DoD numbers for promotions, awards, assignments, punitive actions, etc by race and gender. I wrote, implemented and tracked an Affirmitive Action Plan for a 3000 person unit.

Did you see the fact that minorities are 2x representative in the military than civilian life? They are promoted regardless of race/gender. Ability counts, as it should everywhere. Liberals will decry that as the military being the only opportunity available. They never talked to those soldiers.

Dr King's vision was about ability, sans color. But, that wasn't part of Jesse's or Al's or any other liberal view.

WW1949
WW1949 02/08/11 - 11:46 am
psholder my first comment got

psholder my first comment got removed so I will say it again. This country abounds in opportunity more so than any country in the world. Education, desire and work ethic are what makes you get ahead. There are pleanty of black people in government and elsewhere that are doing just fine. Some just want to keep the pot stirring. As usapatriot says, "I am never going to be sorry for being white". God made me that way. I just do not pay any attention to whinners or anyone who says I am racist for working hard for 40 years. That is their problem-Not mine.