Can't these letter writers ever let up?

Another jewel of wisdom, from chronic letter writer Victor Reilly, in the Jan. 26 Chronicle ("Average worker needs more money"). In the letter, the writer coins several ignorant new phrases.

"Excessive income inequality" means everyone should make about the same amount of money, whether you earn it or not.

"Spendable income beyond subsistence" is incredibly intelligent! Everyone should have some extra pocket money! We can be sure it won't be spent on drugs or alcohol. Why not give all our money to the IRS and let them give everyone an equal amount?

Last month, in his regular letter ("Ordinary folks just trying to get ahead," Dec. 27), Mr. Reilly blamed our economic woes on Republicans. This month, the rising cost of health care is to blame. I guess Republicans passed Obamacare.

Not to be outdone, another compulsive letter writer, Nathan Kirby, blames the shooting of Gabriel Giffords on Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck ("Conservative talks stir up anger," Jan. 27). How original! Pima County, Ariz., Sheriff Clarence Dupnick, Keith Olbermann, Chris Matthews, Lowell Greenbaum and a host of other left-wing liberals beat that horse to death weeks ago. Parrots can only repeat what they hear; intelligent people can have an original thought.

We should be hearing from Kevin Palmer pretty soon; his 30-day waiting time is almost up. Last month he thought closing Laney-Walker Boulevard was a major concern of the African-American community. I think they are more concerned with jobs, housing and opportunities for their children. All the howling is being done by a handful of their wealthy citizens, unsupported by the working class.

Letters to the editor should be limited to one every 60 or 90 days. Let these chronic letter writers find another way to entertain themselves.

Sorry, no big words or complex phrases to make me sound intelligent. I will leave that to my letter-writing idols.

John Sullivent

Harlem

double_standard
double_standard 02/06/11 - 04:43 am
No but they passed medicare

No but they passed medicare part B and No Child Left Behind.

Haki
Haki 02/06/11 - 05:18 am
I can't believe this was

I can't believe this was published.

carcraft
carcraft 02/06/11 - 08:03 am
LOL-I can't believe half of

LOL-I can't believe half of Greenbaum's screeds are published !

garner49
garner49 02/06/11 - 11:01 am
My thoughts as well, John;

My thoughts as well, John; thanks for putting them so well. It seems that 'ol double-standard rears its head about every 30-days with those guys, they must keep their letters ready to go at that date.

There are those that think they can't because they aren't helped by the government - sad but true. Those that do make something of themselves, are criticized for it. Public (read, tax-payers) assistance should be short-term (if at all). Ah, but that's a whole 'nuther letter.

chascush
chascush 02/06/11 - 02:05 pm
Good letter John

Good letter John

swcohen
swcohen 02/06/11 - 04:13 pm
Speaking of our local

Speaking of our local political analysts, it's about time for the Chronicle to publish this month's Robert Smock-o-Gram, isn't it? I'm fairly certain that he channels the ghost of William Gaines when he sits down each month at his trusty Underwood-Olivetti. Who needs Mad Magazine when we've got section A, page 6?

If I was as angry as most of our letter writers must be... right as well as left... I'd be self-medicating. Nothing partisan about Jack Daniels.

animate
animate 02/08/11 - 10:08 pm
John, why is it Mr. Reilly's

John, why is it Mr. Reilly's fault that AC published his letter?

Kitten35
Kitten35 02/10/11 - 02:37 pm
Heathcare costs have been

Heathcare costs have been rising for years.

If people don't have spendable income, the economy collapses. That's what capitalism is built on.

Sorry, but I don't see exactly what the point of this letter is except to slam people who regularly disagree with the writer's opinion.

And is it really a surprise that this was published in the AC?