Liberals play muddled blame game

I happened to be in a laundromat a couple of weeks ago, and a stranger walked up to me and informed me Sarah Palin is using crystal meth. I figured he was a guest columnist for The New York Times, slumming on his day off.

More recently, in a similarly intelligent display of crackerjack investigative reporting, MSNBC's ace pundit Chris Matthews aired clips of Sarah Palin shooting a caribou -- he called it a moose -- and stated the former Alaska governor is responsible for the Tucson killings, and should apologize.

I suppose if a tsunami hits Japan tomorrow, it naturally will be Palin's fault. "Sarah Palin has angered the sea gods!"

Certain media and political elites also are suggesting that lawmakers should violate the First Amendment and pass laws to curtail free speech in political discourse -- that this will somehow prevent future instances of madmen obtaining weapons and embarking on murderous rampages.

I wonder if the finger-pointers realize if these hypothetical laws pass, they will no longer be able to make negative comments about Palin, Rep. Michele Bachmann, House Speaker John Boehner, et al.

And these are the same people who call the former Alaska governor "stupid" and "a whack job."

Maybe they've been talking to the laundromat guy.

User420
User420 01/16/11 - 11:24 pm
Calling someone "stupid" or a

Calling someone "stupid" or a "whack job" is a far cry from crying out about "second amendment remedies" against your opposing party.

If I falsely yell "Fire" in a crowded theater or "bomb" on a plane, that is not Free Speech that's a made up LIE. The same should apply to politicians. If I say that the president is a Communist, Socialist, Muslim that is not free speech either. If I paint my political opponents as foreign enemies or suggest that some conspiracy theory exists about tyranny from within our government, that's not free speech. If my news network circulates information knowing that its based on a false narrative, that's not freedom of speech. We have a word for these things...LIES. Free speech shouldn't even factor into this argument. Palin, Beck, Rush, Bachman and the rest on the right are not responsible for this shooting but they are responsible for creating lies to whip up a voting block. These lies in the mind of a mentally ill person can be used as the justification for violent actions in their sick brain

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 01/17/11 - 06:08 am
Liberals, previously

Liberals, previously Marxists, need to control. Without this massive tool, they are unable lead their sheep. Unfortunately for them, we, presently conservatives, don't care to be told when to go to the bathroom.

NewHere
NewHere 01/17/11 - 06:44 am
Rosie give over a million

Rosie give over a million dollars of her own money for the 9/11 victims, proof that she blame bush for the acts...or you just like those that you are trying to acuse.

southernguy08
southernguy08 01/17/11 - 06:56 am
CANDICE, while I agree with

CANDICE, while I agree with you, come on. From day one, Chris Matthews has believed Obama can walk on water. He has the mental capacity of a brick. And the left blames Sarah Palin for every bad thing happening in the world, then claims she has no political future. Yeah, I'm laughing.

carcraft
carcraft 01/17/11 - 08:05 am
Newhere, could you please

Newhere, could you please clarify your comment. I have trouble typing because I don't always hit the keys hard enought or hit two keys at the same time. I do it because I have lost some sensation in my fingers. I try to be careful but still have to edit my comments on occasion.

kjw30813
kjw30813 01/17/11 - 08:12 am
Candice, keep in mind that

Candice, keep in mind that any laws limiting political speech will l limit only conservative speech! The libs will be unrestrained! This is political correctness gone wild! They tell conservatives to tone it down but do not do the same from they're side!

kjw30813
kjw30813 01/17/11 - 08:15 am
I guess using they're logic

I guess using they're logic we can blame the libs of the time for John Hinkley shooting Ronald Reagan! Come to think of it, it must be Chris Mathews fault! The sorry SOB!

carcraft
carcraft 01/17/11 - 08:19 am
I love the hypocrisy of the

I love the hypocrisy of the left. For eight years the left bashed Bush as the shrub, the chimp, calling him an idiot etc. The left lied about Bush's military experiance and produced false documents to impune that service and the false documents were report as news! The rabid nutty left blamed Bush for being responsible for every thing from the World Trade center destruction to golbull warming. The left made movies about Bush's assination, and carried signs showing Bush being shot or hung. Speachs by conservatives on college campuses were routinely disrupted by the left or cancelled because of threatened violence by the left. Now they want civility? LOL

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/17/11 - 08:19 am
Talk radio began in the 1980s

Talk radio began in the 1980s with the repeal of The Fairness Doctrine. How many assassination attempts have we had since then? Before?

carcraft
carcraft 01/17/11 - 08:23 am
Political discourse is much

Political discourse is much tamer than than it used to be. Andrew Jackson fought several duals. There was the Famous Burr Hamilton dual. One southern senator attacked a nothern senator on the house floor with a cane and left the nothern senator crippled. Accusations of every thing from murder to rape were routine paper fodder. Please read a litle history to get a perspective. Politics is tough.

Sideshow Bob
Sideshow Bob 01/17/11 - 09:24 am
User...did you forget that

User...did you forget that the President said that I and those like me are enemies, and we should be punished?

Sideshow Bob
Sideshow Bob 01/17/11 - 09:28 am
chascush
chascush 01/17/11 - 09:35 am
myfather15, ‘User420, since I

myfather15, ‘User420, since I like debating with you lets have a go at it.
You are being unfair. Debating User is kind like a fight and you are the only one with a gun.

Techfan
Techfan 01/17/11 - 09:51 am
wnd as a source??????

wnd as a source??????

dani
dani 01/17/11 - 10:03 am
carcraft..Be kind to the

carcraft..Be kind to the disadvantaged this morning.(-:

Sideshow Bob
Sideshow Bob 01/17/11 - 10:18 am
Can you dispute it, Tech?

Can you dispute it, Tech? Kindly list the media sources I can use that you WILL believe.

Sideshow Bob
Sideshow Bob 01/17/11 - 10:21 am
Chillen
Chillen 01/17/11 - 10:41 am
The left did their very best

The left did their very best (along with the cooperative media) to pin the Tucscon shooting on conservatives, Palin & talk radio. They were gleeful in their endeavor. They hoped it would help rebuild their crumbling party after the November spanking they received from the America public.

Their end run goal is to remove even more freedom from Americans. More Government. More regulation. It IS the liberal way.

Freedom of speech is under assault, freedom to bear arms is under assault. Ooops, I said assault! I guess the next shooting will be blamed on me! LOL!

carcraft
carcraft 01/17/11 - 12:18 pm
User420- Here are some lies

User420- Here are some lies Obama told. I will post bills 5 days before signing them. I will end the war in Iraq, I will hold health care talks on C span, the cost of an amputaion is $50,000. The health care bill will reduce health care spending. I will have no lobbyists in my administration. neeed I go on. And yet you accuse the right of lying?

User420
User420 01/17/11 - 12:34 pm
Nobody has suggested we need

Nobody has suggested we need to limit the free speech that guaranteed by the 1st amendment. People have a constitutional right to be as rotten, despicable and insulting as they like. THAT is not the issue and it never was.

We need to understand that Gabby Giffords was right when she said during her interview on television last March that our words have consequences. Too many people are trying to cover up any connection between the toxic political atmosphere in this country and the actions last Saturday of Jared Loughner. They attempt to discard that connection by saying "Hey, he was mentally disturbed."

Whether we like it or not, the anti-government rhetoric and repeated use of gun-related metaphors combine to create an environment which feeds the paranoid delusions of people like Jared Loughner. Strident accusations about death panels and concentration camps in the desert for political enemies validates his rage. Then, being told to "re-load" simply incites him to act. If you doubt that, ask any forensic psychiatrist. Paranoid schizophrenics are especially vulnerable to suggestion and, just because they're unstable does not mean they are deaf and don't watch television. They are drawn to programs and speakers who inflame their feelings.

Loughner was angry when Giffords voted for the health care bill, because he had been convinced it was an evil government take-over and tyrannical attempt to steal his freedom. He felt that Giffords was persecuting him personally with her "yes" vote. When she was re-elected in November, Loughner became furious. He immediately went out and purchased his Glock 19 and began tracking her movements in Tucson.

This was an attempted political assassination. The fact that the shooter is mentally disturbed is only important in that it made it him more vulnerable to the incendiary rhetoric that most of us can process in a healthy way. He couldn't. It had been his reality for the last two years.

The fact is, you can be against inflammatory, anti-government rhetoric without wanting to weaken the 1st Amendment. Obliquely suggesting that anyone who wants this rhetoric stopped is against the 1st amendment is simply dishonest.

Just because we may disagree and have opposing values doesn't make either right or wrong; it just makes us different. When I hear conservative scream about "big government" yet they are very open about government intruding on a woman's right to choose, for example, it makes me nuts. Quit the hypocrisy on both sides and work toward solutions in the middle. Inflammatory rhetoric accomplishes nothing constructive; just makes us all look like fools.

User420
User420 01/17/11 - 12:33 pm
The social programs that

The social programs that Obama supports have been supported by most US presidents going back 80 years, including Ronald Reagan. Of course, we never hear people calling Reagan a socialist. Obama's health care reform is almost identical to the plan that Robert Dole proposed in 1993 and which Mitt Romney instituted in Massachusetts during his governorship.

Without our so-called "socialist" the programs, there would probably be no middle class in this country. Of course, today, the middle class is hanging on by its fingernails because 98% of the country's wealth now resides in just 2% of the population. This is, essentially, an oligarchy. If you want to fear something, fear that. Twenty years ago, half the nation's wealth was concentrated in about 1/3 of the population.

Our social programs benefit our citizens -- the poor, elderly, disabled and the young. It's not as though they are for the rich elite, even though a person earning a million dollars a year can still collect a social security check and go on Medicare.

Socialism is a term that is thrown around now days by partisan politicians who want to strike fear in the heart of people who don't really know what the word means. Eighty years ago, it was used to describe the fascist governments in Europe prior to World War II. There is no practical application for the term in the 21st century

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 01/17/11 - 12:50 pm
user 420 please back up your

user 420 please back up your post..did Reagan support the govt takeover of banks ,car industries..the advancement of govt into every aspect of our lives..please explain..mitt introduce a state health care plan that's a disaster and will probably eliminate him in the 2012 primary season..there are some good federal programs, its just that they are too big and cost way to much...when we reach a majority of people receiving federal goodies and not paying any federal income tax ..we will then be doomed..we are about there...and the federal govt did not make the middle class except maybe in govt union workers..another area where we cant support...

RunningMan
RunningMan 01/17/11 - 03:31 pm
I cannot believe this is

I cannot believe this is still being debated. Do you all sit around waiting for someone to make a comment or send in an editorial, just to chime in with your view of the world and politics? It’s simple; someone decided it was better to kill innocent peoples instead of trying to understand their points of view. That seems to be the law of the land lately. Forget about trying to discuss the issues that affects this country in a civilized manner. Instead, let’s bad mouth the other side, bring guns to the town hall meetings, call each other names, and act in the worst way possible. Freedom is great, however it should not be used as an excuse to act violent and ugly towards each other, or say just about anything just because you have the freedom to do so. My wife is a republican and I a democrat, and we have different opinions on what is best for this country, however, it is just that, an opinion. We would never let politics get in the way of our love for each other. Americans should learn to love and respect each other, and not allow politics to influence their behavior towards one another in a negative way. There has been too much hatred and violence as of late, and it’s about time to move forward in a more civilized and productive manner.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 01/17/11 - 02:02 pm
All Americans will never love

All Americans will never love all Americans. When American is the latter half of a hyphenated "citizenry" description, there will be little love.

RunningMan
RunningMan 01/17/11 - 03:38 pm
Sounds like just another

Sounds like just another excuse not to do so. Whats next?

carcraft
carcraft 01/17/11 - 04:24 pm
User420- Loughner didn't give

User420- Loughner didn't give a hoot about health care bill or anything else political. He is INSANE! Loughner did not like Gifford before Palin was on the scene because he thought she was ignorant..Something about his new money and Grammer mind control. It didn't matter to Loughner what Bush said, What Lindsey Graham said , what Rush said, What Reid said or what Palin said..LOUGHNER DIDN'T LISTEN to talk radio or follow politics. Loughner was crazy and listened to the talking heads in his own mind...There was no political climate that could cause Loughner to kill or not kill other than his own mental derangement!

Sideshow Bob
Sideshow Bob 01/17/11 - 04:25 pm
carcraft.....the Marxist left

carcraft.....the Marxist left never let facts get in the way of their venom.

Sideshow Bob
Sideshow Bob 01/17/11 - 04:44 pm
myfather15.....more of those

myfather15.....more of those facts that they will not address.

dani
dani 01/17/11 - 04:59 pm
Jared Loughner had this lady

Jared Loughner had this lady in his sights in 2007, long before most of the comments were made that the libs keep retreading.

NewHere
NewHere 01/17/11 - 09:02 pm
On that blog I did not see

On that blog I did not see where it said that bush was responsible for 9/11. And btw many of you are ready to give up goverment benefits because it does not impact you so here is my list:

VA benefits
Social security
Medicare
Medicaid
Food stamps

Plus I don't have any kids in school so I want all the property taxes that I pay every year... Atleast the portion that go to the schools.