Others live the high life on your dime

This is in response to "One big reason I vote Republican" (Jan. 3) by Rick Bernardi Sr. of North Augusta, S.C. As outlandish as it may sound, everything he described is very likely 100-percent accurate.

My previous job involved selling and delivering frozen food throughout Augusta. One particular customer is one I'll never forget -- a family living in Grovetown near Fort Gordon. They lived in a very nice house in an excellent neighborhood. They had a Cadillac and a Lexus in the driveway.

The house was very nicely furnished with the latest electronics. I might add that the food I delivered was more expensive than the grocery stores'. They often bought $100 to $200 worth of food. For payment they would hand me an EBT card -- food stamps. If payment was denied when I ran the card, they always seemed to be able to produce another EBT card for payment. These people were only one of many customers I serviced who used EBT for their purchase.

This type of thing is obviously going on every minute of every day in this country. Although my salary was commission-based, I tried to report this activity. I was never able to find anyone who would take action. Now tell me why this country is in the state it's in.

I don't always vote Republican. I vote for the candidates who have the best track record for putting the American people first rather than their own political agendas.

Arden Lowndes

Martinez

omnomnom
omnomnom 01/12/11 - 02:57 am
ehehehehe goldman sachs

ehehehehe goldman sachs blackwater war war war, and arden's worried about the lil ol welfare queen how cute cute cute

carcraft
carcraft 01/12/11 - 06:39 am
Oh well, you on the left

Oh well, you on the left worry that some body who actually supports themselves and contributes to the community is not paying there fair share of taxes..how cute cute cute

OJP
OJP 01/12/11 - 07:19 am
This city's economy is

This city's economy is supported by the American dime. Yet, many of those who work at SRS, Ft. Gordon, Plant Vogtle, or in the medical field, complain about government workers...

EBT cards are a straw man. Government inefficiency by way of redundant employees for redundant positions costs us much more.

Dixieman
Dixieman 01/12/11 - 07:31 am
Letter is 100% right.

Letter is 100% right. Scarier is that now almost 50% of the American people pay NO TAXES at all and are supported by the rest of us. When it exceeds 50%, they can just vote themselves money out of our pockets, and it is game over for this country.

Nativeson1
Nativeson1 01/12/11 - 07:43 am
Those Tennessee Pride

Those Tennessee Pride busciuts to the right look really good...Yeah we all should be worried about who isn't paying their fair share of taxes, especially when the middle class is going to get squeezed because of it...btw, the focus on government workers is nothing new, instead of focusing on CEO's and hedge funds that pay taxes at 15 percent or lower the politicians want you to focus on those who actually work for a living... The fact that the Bush tax break was extended in a time wher they are telling us we all will have to do more is a signal to the middle class to get ready to bend further down....The good thing is at now maybe people will see the unemployment rate stay flat or increase and realize the reality of the situation (tax braks for the ultra wealthy doesn't create jobs, it only gives them more money to hide in off shore accounts)...Man those buscuits look good mmmm mmmm!!!!

southernguy08
southernguy08 01/12/11 - 07:54 am
NATIVE, do you think raising

NATIVE, do you think raising taxes increases jobs? History proves it only provides congress with funds to spend more, which they do. If you believe otherwise, here's that oceanfront property in North Dakota for sale. I'll let ya have it cheap!

NewHere
NewHere 01/12/11 - 08:16 am
Plant vogtle is not a

Plant vogtle is not a government enterprise, it is owned and operated by southern company. For the guy that wrote this letter... Did you take the time to report the fraud or just continue to take the money from this criminals.

SouthernWays
SouthernWays 01/12/11 - 09:04 am
Does anyone remember

Does anyone remember commodities? If you NEEDED food, you picked up government no name food, like canned peanut butter. No Jiff! You waited in line like everyone else, and were glad. Perhaps going back to this is preferable from the "givers" point of view, but maybe not from the "taker".

Government sponsored health care has worked this way, too. You don't get to choose a "for profit" doctor with the gold watch, but you receive a "clinic" doctor or nurse, who handles many, many patients who wait, which is OK since you NEED care.

There is no NEED for our government to support businesses, communities, and families who have no plans for indigent health care or food consumption plans, except looking for someone to pay the local "for profit providers". Example, if no church, person, business, or doctor has a plan to provide care for the indigent in NEED in their community; our best long term solution, may not be to spend our taxes (government funds) to pay full price to the grocer or for profit medical provider. Our long term solution, may include non-profit clinics for the working poor like in Macon, expanding health department services, and providing commodity groceries for those in need of groceries. Those who have choices (like insurance and money), can choose elsewhere, and lift the burden off the taxpayer. Then we would serve the truly NEEDY.

dani
dani 01/12/11 - 09:22 am
omnomnom, hehehe..don't

omnomnom, hehehe..don't forget J.P. Morgan's Daley who is now dancing cheek to cheek with Obama in the White House.

justus4
justus4 01/12/11 - 09:32 am
Someone has told this story

Someone has told this story once, and now it can be heard daily over the non-minority air waves and read in some national printing operations and given as someone's personal testimony. Only certain people will BELIEVE such testimonies because they choose to believe it - that don't make it true! If someone believes THIS article, they will also believes that minorities are given professional jobs without being qualified, or that minorities are the majority of citizens on welfare/food stamps. Wrong! Caucasians nationally, makeup the majority of citizens on food stamps and welfare. Now this fact will surprise most and many will deny it, but spreading stories that have obvious racial undertones, and designed to feed into preconceived notions does not advance the ideas of truth. In other words, try a more convincing story, one with less expensive cars in the driveway and one with a more convincing ring of truth. This one failed!

WW1949
WW1949 01/12/11 - 09:34 am
En soutmhernways. I have

En soutmhernways. I have always said staple food only. Clinic doctors and no check in the mail. I am tired of the waste and fraud at the working persons expense. It makes me kind of numb to the real problems of the poor.

Chillen
Chillen 01/12/11 - 10:47 am
I am totally sick of paying

I am totally sick of paying for everyone else's food and my food too!!!!!

Food stamp abuse has risen from 30 million people when Bush left office to almost 45 million people under obama. One in SEVEN Americans are on food stamps. The numbers are up by 50% and rising rapidly under the 2 year dictatorship of obama, the democrat congress & democrat senate!!!!!!

Redistribution of wealth. That's all this is. When 15% of the population is unwilling to work for their food we will fail as a nation. The entitlement money being spent is unsustainable.

Stock up on lots of food for your own family folks & be prepared to defend it, it's gonna be a very bumpy ride.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 01/12/11 - 10:58 am
Present the facts and the

Present the facts and the left still doesn't get it.

WW1949
WW1949 01/12/11 - 11:00 am
Redistribution is for the

Redistribution is for the birds. It never has helped the needy and never will. Self determination and a good work ethic will.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 01/12/11 - 11:38 am
WOW, "Did you take the time

WOW, "Did you take the time to report the fraud or just continue to take the money from this criminals." from how it sounds, it looks like Arden just took the money and keep on moving.

On another tangent, what I find so strange about this article is, the open, non-specific descriptions of family that is ripping off the system. Were these new Cadilliac and Lexus vehicles? Was the house paid for by the owners? Did the owners work? The lack of specific details and the guilty insinuation from the writer and the people commenting, speaks loudly! Hey, Arden, as long as that EBT cards worked or the cash was in hand, you were fine with all of it; just as guilty as they possibly are.

NewHere
NewHere 01/12/11 - 11:41 am
Not everybody in assistant is

Not everybody in assistant is a criminal, not every conservative is a bigot and not every liberal a socialist... We need to stop generalizing.

Chillen
Chillen 01/12/11 - 12:11 pm
onlysane1. The letter says

onlysane1. The letter says "Although my salary was commission-based, I tried to report this activity. I was never able to find anyone who would take action."

Sounds like he did try to report the fraud. Truth is, none of those govt folks want to hear with it or they are simply too lazy to deal with it. They really don't care. The more folks getting food stamps, the more they have job security.

I say if you are a govt employee and you give entitlement benefits to undeserving folks you should be immediately fired and brough up on legal charges of fraud because that's what it is. They are allowing it to occur......to help their fellow brothers.

Better yet, end all entitlement programs. Phase them out of the next 5 years. That will solve the problem once & for all.

dwb619
dwb619 01/12/11 - 12:12 pm
Surprised no one saw this for

Surprised no one saw this for what it is. There is a large black market for EBT cards. You get $400 on an EBT, I give you $100 for it. You get your dope and I get $400 of prime rib for $100. Easy way to fix, recipients name on card, and merchant must verify ID at time of sale.

Chillen
Chillen 01/12/11 - 12:24 pm
You know, the more I think

You know, the more I think about this situation the madder I get. On many occasions I have been at Walmart or Publix. My cart mostly loaded with sale items or generic items to save money.

When I pull up to the checkout line sometime I inadvertantly get behind a food stamp user. Here are my obervations.

1. They are not ashamed or embarassed to be getting a handout
2. They are normally quite rude or impatient with the check out clerk
3. They have 100% name brand items in their cart
4. They have lots of pricy selections of meat or seafood instead of chicken or beans
5. They check out in shifts - usually 3-4 separate transactions wasting the time of every poor sap behind them
6. They are well dressed
7. They have the latest cell phone, complete with blue tooth and they are usually talking on it
8. Their nails are perfectly manicured. Hair perfectly done.
9. They are able-bodied and more than able to work
10. They normally have mulitiple children
11. They all look very, very well fed if you get my drift.
12. They span all races and age groups - but most tend to be young which is concerning because they are establishing that way of life early on

That folks, paints a picture of the so-called "POOR" here in America. "Poor in America" - the great myth of the left.

NewHere
NewHere 01/12/11 - 12:28 pm
One of my summer jobs when I

One of my summer jobs when I was growing up was at a food stamp office... This was when people actually got a food stamp and not a credit card as they do now. Will would not process an application if we did get the proper information. (I am not in that line of work anymore) so my information is very dated, I am sure that there is fraud, but I am also sure that the percent of people that are committing fraud is not as high as must people think, by this I am not trying to excuse the criminals, just trying to say that some people that are getting the help really need it.

double_standard
double_standard 01/12/11 - 01:34 pm
As long as white people are

As long as white people are the majority recipients of government assistance nothing will change. To the writer the home he was at was probably military in Grovetown and I don't got a problem providing for them but some sorry piece of trash in a tore up trailer sucking up food stamps medicaid and disability because their too fat too work I gotta problem with them and yes the majority of them are white. But I love going to the area mexican restaurants seeing all the fat white women chasing after the mexican men. They will teach them how to live off of soon.

blakkone
blakkone 01/12/11 - 01:36 pm
NewHere...I agree. there

NewHere...I agree. there will always be people who will abuse the system. but the % is so insignificant that its not even worth tackling. Everyone is getting upset over a few hundred dollars of groceries when there is a "war" overseas costing the country BILLIONS (with a "B") of dollars and countless lives...that is a bigger issue, when will that end?

Jane18
Jane18 01/12/11 - 01:43 pm
I identify with Arden in

I identify with Arden in respect to seeing a "wrong" and being upset with it. I called the office connected with my situation, and they let me know that they had checked everything very thoroughly and there was no reason I could give them that would make any difference. The office was disability, the fraudulent person is a female first cousin. I have not given up, I am on a mission!

NewHere
NewHere 01/12/11 - 01:49 pm
Good for you Jane, that is

Good for you Jane, that is the only way we can help rooted ot waste.

Jane18
Jane18 01/12/11 - 01:55 pm
I forgot to tell Southernways

I forgot to tell Southernways something. I remember "commodities", My grandparents had to get it. I was a young teenager and we would go to Ft.Payne, Ala.to pick it up. Can't remember what all they got, but do remember the peanut butter. Made THE best peanut butter cookies,yum-yum! A note to my other post, I reported one guy late last summer before he could begin getting a disability, so far, he's been denied twice. And no! He doesn't deserve or it! He's a lazy bum(and so is his wife)!

Jane18
Jane18 01/12/11 - 02:14 pm
blakkone, how can you say the

blakkone, how can you say the percentage is so insignificant as to abuse to our system? I can't break it down, but when we know 48% of the people in the United States are receiving $$$$ in one way or another, while the other 52% are working and paying taxes, how can you not see something wrong with this?.... I know wars are bad, but in this day and time, they are necessary. If it means keeping bomb-toting, machete swinging, American-hating, murderers on their own turf, so be it!

lovingthesouth72
lovingthesouth72 01/12/11 - 02:25 pm
People who recieve handouts

People who recieve handouts will never be grateful for anything, and will expect everything. This the the welfare mentality and the culture we have created. Sad, but true. It has helped no one. And it has hurt the hard working.

blakkone
blakkone 01/12/11 - 02:31 pm
Jane18...Wars are necessary

Jane18...Wars are necessary for greed purposes. What are our troops overseas fighting for? Why have 5,000 troops lost their lives? What is being accomplished? Hate will live on forever and there is nothing the US, our troops, or anybody else can do about that. So do we continue to fight until Jesus raptures the Earth??

People cheating the system does not affect my family's immediate needs. However, I have a niece and nephew who are praying their daddy makes it home alive and not in a box with the american flag over it. I almost lost my little sister to this senseless war. My cousin I grew up with almost got deployed but got out just in time. That affects me directly. I could care less about Jack and Jill getting a few bucks off the system. There's a time limit to be on the system anyway. (i'm referring to welfare)

blakkone
blakkone 01/12/11 - 02:36 pm
Its articles like this that

Its articles like this that feed the hatred ppl have for anyone on welfare. They are looked down upon just because they were dealt a different hand in life or made a mistake. The author does not even have any relevant facts besides what he saw with his naked eye. He does not have the facts behind the house or the cars. But ppl read it and fall hook, line, and sinker. Nobody stops and thinks there are ppl who actually need the temporary, again TEMPORARY, help.

I believe if the taxes were not wasted on welfare, it would be wasted elsewhere.

sassylassie
sassylassie 01/12/11 - 03:00 pm
I think that folks who need

I think that folks who need temporary help are not the ones who are buying expensive delivered-to-your-door foods. They are using the temporary help to purchase food staples for their families using coupons. There is a difference.

Germany wins World Cup

RIO DE JANEIRO - Mario Goetze volleyed in the winning goal in extra time to give Germany its fourth World Cup title with a 1-0 victory over Argentina on Sunday.