Time is ripe to examine the Fair Tax

This letter is a comment on the Associated Press article in the Jan. 3 Augusta Chronicle ("GOP's agenda might affect election more than daily life"). The elections the article refer to are the ones for 2012. Specifically, I was encouraged by the remarks at the end of the article made by Rep. Dave Camp of Michigan. He is the incoming chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee.

Mr. Camp says, "What we need is a comprehensive reform of the tax code that expands the tax base and lowers rates by being fairer, simpler and conducive to growth." Those words are exactly what the Fair Tax will do. It is fair. It is simple -- the whole bill is only 133 pages long. Finally, it is conducive to growth.

I am not so naïve as to think comprehensive tax reform will happen in two years, but it is nice to hear someone in Washington mention tax reform. I have mentioned before that spending cuts and tax breaks will not solve America's economic problems, but I am confident that the Fair Tax will.

I want to encourage everyone to read The Fair Tax Book, by Neal Boortz and John Linder. Then write your congressman or congresswoman to support the Fair Tax bill, H.R. 25. The Senate version is S. 1025.

Reuben Rockwell

Waynesboro

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 01/08/11 - 05:08 am
The "Fair Tax" is a sham and

The "Fair Tax" is a sham and all it does is shift the entire tax burden onto the middle and working classes.

Do not fall for the promise that it will reduce what you pay.

I will be glad when this idea dies and goes away.

Brad

Sideshow Bob
Sideshow Bob 01/08/11 - 05:34 am
Brad. Explain how the Fair

Brad. Explain how the Fair Tax is not fair. Use some actual facts this time. It's just my opinion, but it seems that you will be glad when this idea goes away, because you don't like the idea of paying your fair share.

TruthJusticeFaithHope
TruthJusticeFaithHope 01/08/11 - 05:37 am
No matter what, taxes are not

No matter what, taxes are not able to cover our government's expenditures. Until we reduce spending, or until a cross the board fair tax of 10% will cover spending, we are doomed to fail. There is no common sense among elected officials, and they do not treat our current revenue as a precious resource. The United States should have trillions in reserve, not trillions in debt. The wars and other huge expenditures have crippled this country. There is no common sense among our legislators.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 01/08/11 - 06:37 am
No tax is fair. The guvment

No tax is fair. The guvment should support all of us. It already supports nearly half of us. Why not the rest?

wribbs
wribbs 01/08/11 - 07:04 am
Like Sideshow Bob I too would

Like Sideshow Bob I too would like for Brad to explain with facts how the Fair Tax is a sham. I never hear opponents of the Fair Tax explain how it won't work, they only demagogue the issue. Until Brad gets back to us, go to fairtax.org and read for yourself. There's even a calculator you can use to calculate your taxes under it.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 01/08/11 - 07:11 am
Brad, the fair tax is not a

Brad, the fair tax is not a sham, far from it. If you haven't read the book you should. I think that after reading it you will feel the same way that I do.
It has been very well thought out but does have some shortcomings that need to be addressed. My concern about the wealthy is the same as yours and that needs to be corrected which can be done. The most important feature is that tax dodgers will no longer be getting a free ride. Everyone will pay and low income people will get a subsidy check that offsets what they pay. There is no such thing as a fair tax but this comes as close as I have seen

Rhetor
Rhetor 01/08/11 - 08:35 am
A sham? Not exactly, but the

A sham? Not exactly, but the Fair Tax has issues. The Fair Tax is a national sales tax. The Fair Tax is designed to give the poor a break, which is reasonable. But it also gives a break to the wealthy. That's because the middle class spends most of their money on things that are taxable, and so under Fair Tax they would pay a significant percentage of their income as taxes. The rich, however, spend a smaller percentage of their money on things that are taxable, and tends to put more of their money into various investments. That's a good thing in many ways; however, under the Fair Tax, it does tax shelter their money. The Fair Tax isn't bad, and it might not be much worse than that mess that we have now, but it certainly doesn't live up to its hype. Can the uneven burden be fixed? Not really, because this flaw is inherent in the nature of a sales tax.

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/08/11 - 08:56 am
The wealthier you are the

The wealthier you are the more you spend. The more you spend the more you pay. Doesn't get much fairer than that.

wribbs
wribbs 01/08/11 - 08:58 am
Why does it matter which

Why does it matter which group of people a tax system penalizes or rewards? I thought the purpose of a tax system was to raise revenue to support the legitimate functions of a government. The Fair Tax wasn't designed to give anyone a 'break'.

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/08/11 - 09:36 am
yea, there is no tax fraud

yea, there is no tax fraud going on today!

dstewartsr
20394
dstewartsr 01/08/11 - 09:37 am
The problem with the 'Fair

The problem with the 'Fair Tax' is it cannot solve our basic problem: We simply spend too much.

Whatever "fix" is made in revenue is almost irrelevent; it is much like bailing out a boat with a (purportedly) larger bucket while not fixing the huge hole in the hull.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 01/08/11 - 10:04 am
Brad Owens
Brad Owens 01/08/11 - 10:17 am
I quote the article here for

I quote the article here for those with bad browsers......"The main outfit pushing FairTax is a tax-exempt (of course) organization called Americans for Fair Taxation. Its board is full of bankers and oilmen. One of its founders is a Texan named Robert C. McNair, worth an estimated $1.5 billion.

He could afford to buy the African nation of Burundi.

The FairTax would save him enough to snap up the Falkland Islands, too.

Forbes ranks McNair consistently in its list of the richest people in America and the world. In 1999, he sold his power company to Enron (no, the other Enron) and, as the magazine slyly notes, dumped his shares before the big crash.

Like Augusta tycoon Billy Morris — whose paper, The Augusta Chronicle, loves the FairTax — McNair is fond of horses. This January, he sold his 106-acre Stonerside Stable to the sheikh of Dubai for the princely sum of $17.4 million, according to the National Thoroughbred Racing Association.

Lord knows if McNair paid any taxes on that deal. But had the FairTax been in place, he easily could’ve avoided paying the $5.2 million sales tax.

That’s because the FairTax bill is full of provisions designed to benefit people who own private jets. It exempts used property, which could cover those stables, and exports.
When’s the last time you exported something?

The most gaping FairTax loophole is that it exempts business-to-business transactions (or anything for “bona fide business purposes,” whatever that means), and all investments or property “purchased exclusively for the purposes of appreciation.”

In short, if you can now afford to live off of your dividends, you’ll be set. If you think a portfolio is a briefcase, you should start picking up pennies.

Just try not to remember that last year, JP Morgan Chase paid its CEO $18,775 an hour."

Written by Cory Pein...

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 01/08/11 - 10:17 am
Come on, Brad. You are

Come on, Brad. You are relying on an article from the Metro Spirit to form your opinion. You are smarter than that. Read the book that explains in detail how the fair tax works. Is it perfect? No. Is it better than our convoluted tax code? YES.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 01/08/11 - 10:30 am
triple post...sorry

triple post...sorry

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 01/08/11 - 10:34 am
It was a well written and

It was a well written and researched article. Also, you say not to trust what I read and then encourage me to read something else to change my mind? Does that mean it has better information or opinion because you happen to support the so-called "Fair Tax?"

As George Dubya Bush would say, "You're a hypocriticizer..."

Anyway, I happen to think the arguments made by Cory are dead on.

This will shift the entire tax burden onto the working class and that has always been the intention of the ruling class anyway.

Debt IS slavery,

Brad

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 01/08/11 - 10:25 am
Brad, quit worrying about

Brad, quit worrying about isolated cases. You can probably find isolated cases under our present system where wealthy avoid paying taxes. It happens all the time. Look at the broad structure of the fair tax and compare it with mess we deal with now. Its a no brainer

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/08/11 - 10:27 am
Well shoot, if the wealthy

Well shoot, if the wealthy people are for it, kill it. What the heck do they know about finance? We should follow a plan put together by poor folk.

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/08/11 - 10:28 am
"Everyone will pay and low

"Everyone will pay and low income people will get a subsidy check that offsets what they pay."

Noooo! That's part of the problem now. People who get a free ride on paying taxes (almost half of the population now) tend to vote for politicians who promise them more free stuff. Low income people benefit from government too and they should pay a fair share. If the rate was 15%, then someone who makes $10K pays $1500 and someone who makes $5 million pays $750000. There's nothing wrong, unfair, or immoral about that. And then EVERYONE could hold their head up high and say "I'm a taxPAYER" and be telling the truth. This situation we have now where half of the country views the government as a "giver" and the other half views the government as a "taker" is bad for everyone and causes nothing but animosity and class warfare. And it is inherently unfair and discriminatory. Let's put everyone on a paying basis and see if that doesn't change some attitudes toward government spending. My guess is that a flat tax rate on everyone, or some other form of fair tax, combined with a balanced budget amendment, would put this nation on a solid footing for the future. Citizens who are PAYING taxes seem to give more attention to what our government is doing with OUR money.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 01/08/11 - 10:40 am
Flat tax is fair...Forbes was

Flat tax is fair...Forbes was right...

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 01/08/11 - 10:45 am
Dichotomy, as hard as I try I

Dichotomy, as hard as I try I can't find anything in your statement that I take exception to except your objection to giving the poor a break on taxes. There are a lot of hard working people, who because of lack of opportunity , can't make ends meet. They are not bums just unfortunate people. I have no problem with them getting help.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 01/08/11 - 10:48 am
Hesus' Brad, what is fair

Hesus' Brad, what is fair about a flat tax?

dwb619
dwb619 01/08/11 - 11:01 am
Flat tax,no deductions, no

Flat tax,no deductions, no returns, Everybody pays the same percentage on All sources of income.

creolechick
creolechick 01/08/11 - 11:08 am
Brad Owens, it's people with

Brad Owens, it's people with mindsets like yours that have gotten this country in the shape it's in. You do not know the facts until you've read the book - not some little article in the Metro Spirit. Do you not realize that The Fair Tax would do away with all other taxes? I currently get 28% of my pay taken by taxes. With the fair tax, I would take home 100% of my pay not 72%. And the fair tax would benefit me - the middle class - cause I wouldn't have to pay taxes on the "used" house that I bought. There are far more benefits to the fair tax than any other tax system I've seen including the flat tax. The book is very descriptive and no one should form an opinion on this until they've read the book. It's got to be better than the system we have now. Currently drug dealers, those working "under the table", thieves, etc. pay nothing into the system. Imagine the money this country could have if EVERYONE paid into the system!

americafirst
americafirst 01/08/11 - 11:10 am
OMG, Brad. You did not

OMG, Brad. You did not actually cite that MetroSpirit article as your basis for opposing the fair tax. The basic juvenile point of that amateurish article is that rich people are for the fair tax so it must be bad for everyone else.

dwb619
dwb619 01/08/11 - 11:19 am
I don't think you pay sales

I don't think you pay sales tax on a house, do you?

Techfan
Techfan 01/08/11 - 11:25 am
creole: Slight problem. You

creole: Slight problem. You don't get to keep 100% of your paycheck. http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1470200/posts. Even Boortz has finally admitted this:http://boortz.com/nuze/200509/09152005.html
Since you already own your home, you wouldn't pay sales taxes on it anyway, new or used. If you have a mortgage, however, you will lose any deductions you can presently take, AND have to pay 30% on the interest portion of your mortgage above a yet to be determined rate.

creolechick
creolechick 01/08/11 - 11:48 am
Well, as I said they fair tax

Well, as I said they fair tax isn't perfect. There will never be a perfect system as long as you have people figuring out ways to get around it. But our current system makes it way too easy to cheat. I see soooo many people working under the table - paying no taxes and getting food stamps, unemployment, subsidies, etc. I'm sick of paying for those who cheat the system!

Techfan
Techfan 01/08/11 - 11:56 am
And no one will work under

And no one will work under the table with the unFair Tax? "That transmission will cost $2,000. The tax will make it $2,600. Tell you what, I'll do it for $2,300 and we won't tell anyone".

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 01/08/11 - 11:59 am
I am at the hospital with my

I am at the hospital with my son and don't have the ability to cut and paste on this device. The HIDEOUSLY incomplete Corey Peine column was rebutted in full the very next week in the Spirit by me. if anyone can post the link to that column, it ran one week after Corey's...I would appreciate it!