Let's see if we get some real change

I did not vote for change in 2008 but I got it. I voted for change in 2010. Let's see what happens.

Every hard-working, taxpaying, God-fearing citizen knows this country has a cancer left untreated since the 1960s. It's in its final stages and it's going to take drastic treatment to cure it, or this country will cease to be.

I have a plan given to me 70 years ago by a wise old man who never had formal education, not even the first grade. He told me to watch my nickels and dimes and the dollars would take care of themselves. Live below your means and save for a rainy day.

Congress was elected and given a mandate by the people to treat and eradicate this cancer. It has been given everything it needs by the voters to do away with this disease, except guts, which I pray its members can furnish. If not, they should resign before they start.

I am grateful for a lot of eyes and minds being opened by the Tea Party, Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, the Heritage Foundation, the Cato Institute, Citizens Against Government Waste, etc. But most of all I am grateful for President Obama, former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid for pushing all red-blooded Americans as far as they will be pushed.

I want our newly elected Congress to know I worked hard to help get its members elected. I will work twice as hard to get them out of office if they go with the flow as it is in government now. I will be praying for them and our country every day.

I will end this letter with a quote from one of my friends in Louisville, Ga., in a letter to your paper in the past year. "I want my country back!"

Harry Gilmore Jr.

Lincolnton

usapatriot
usapatriot 01/07/11 - 02:43 am
Harry, you are so right, sir.

Harry, you are so right, sir. The difference comes between personal and govt finances.

I listen to sports talk radio alot. I listen to talking heads there saying a team should give so many millions to a player.

I divorced. I listened to lawyers talk about how much money I should give.

I as a citizen, I watch how Congress and the President spend our money.

The thread here is>>> it's always easy to spend someone else's money.

Haki
Haki 01/07/11 - 03:06 am
Obama '12. This is the United

Obama '12. This is the United States of America.

dani
dani 01/07/11 - 03:33 am
Haki...You can't have it both

Haki...You can't have it both ways. It is one or the other.

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 01/07/11 - 03:37 am
The one consolation that I

The one consolation that I have is that the Republicants will insure the return of the Democratic Party to the majority in 2012.

orgpsych
orgpsych 01/07/11 - 04:50 am
Sir, the mandate you declare

Sir, the mandate you declare is truly a self-declaration. The people gave no such mandate. While conservatives/Republicans have a numerical majority in the House, it is by no means a landslide victory. Bu then, hey, everyone who has won by even the slimmest of majorities has declared a mandate from the people. They just have to get the people to believe it.

2012 is coming, that's for sure. What changes will it bring? Will Republicans gain more seats? Or will they be tossed out for actually making the situation worse by their own high-handed behavior?

The CBO is saying that the first item on the Republican agenda will cost increase the deficit by a quarter of a trillion dollars. Where's that changey thing, reduced spending thing, and smaller government thing we heard so much about? Sounds like more of the same with a different label to me.

Meet the new boss ... he's the same as the old boss.

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 01/07/11 - 05:21 am
They've already backed off

They've already backed off their promise to reduce spending by 100 billion, and are making it possible to reduce taxes to the wealthy without reducing spending. The "elite" benefiting the "elite", again on the backs of those of us who actually pay taxes and actually WORK for a living.

Sideshow Bob
Sideshow Bob 01/07/11 - 05:53 am
ReformedRepub......I never

ReformedRepub......I never heard welfare recipients referred to as "the elite" before! They are the ones who benefit on the backs of those of us who pay taxes and work for a living. I never met a wealthy man who didn't pay taxes.

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 01/07/11 - 05:58 am
No, Bob, when someone who

No, Bob, when someone who receives millions more than you do, yet receives MANY more tax reductions, so that he actually pays a lower percentage of his earnings than you do is the result of the "elite" ultra-wealthy, benefiting at the hands of the "elite" Republicants who think that they should rule the world. It's a fact that someone who earns, say 30k a year and pays the same percentage income tax as someone who earns a million a year will have less to spend, and will be more adversely affected. That does NOT make sense. Those who earn less, should PAY less, significantly, percentage-wise. I have no objection to what I'm paying, as long as those who earn more feel the pain in the same manner as I.

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 01/07/11 - 06:05 am
So Bob, you're saying that

So Bob, you're saying that the TOP 2% earners, who paid 17% income tax(per the IRS) while you, who made just say 35k for example, paid the same percentage is justifiable? That's saying that because you earn less, you should pay more. BRILLIANT!

Sideshow Bob
Sideshow Bob 01/07/11 - 06:08 am
You actually believe that you

You actually believe that you pay more tax than the wealthy.....that's funny. No.......that's blind wealth envy.

Sideshow Bob
Sideshow Bob 01/07/11 - 06:09 am
17%? You must be looking at

17%? You must be looking at different tax tables than the ones the IRS posts.

Sideshow Bob
Sideshow Bob 01/07/11 - 06:10 am
The lower 10% earners pay 0%

The lower 10% earners pay 0% tax and receive all of what they get without having to do ANY work.....That's fair?

Sideshow Bob
Sideshow Bob 01/07/11 - 06:16 am
To imply that we have a

To imply that we have a regressive tax system where the wealthy pay LESS is simply dishonest and ridiculous.
How is it justifiable to tax ANYONE at a different percentage? (without using wealth envy as a justification.)

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 01/07/11 - 06:34 am
Bob, check the IRS for the

Bob, check the IRS for the ACTUAL taxes paid by the Top 2%. It reported that they actually paid and average 17% income tax. That's not per the tables, but actually paid. http://www.forbes.com/2009/01/29/irs-high-income-personal-finance-taxes_... I find it humorous that you seek to protect them, while ignoring yourself. Why should they pay the same rates as those who earn less? It's not about the poor, the women who have children to support without benefit of a father (many by divorce, not just illegitimacy), it's about you and me who earn significantly less than those wealthiest. You CANNOT tell me that we don't "feel the pain" more than they do. Having more money doesn't give them the right to pay a lower or same percentage, which is why a graduated tax structure was put into place. The wealthy have BOUGHT the Republican party, and it's purpose is to convince YOU that it's ok for them to get richer, while you see your standard of living decrease. Brilliant!

carcraft
carcraft 01/07/11 - 06:38 am
Reformed Repub, So you are

Reformed Repub, So you are saying that the top 10% of earners , who pay 40% percent of the taxes the government collects aren't paying enough while the bottom 50% of tax payers who pay little or nothing, and in some cases actually get checks from the government, are paying to much? The wealth envy card is played out as is the race card card. These cards trump nothing any more...

carcraft
carcraft 01/07/11 - 06:40 am
Reformed Repub, I pay about

Reformed Repub, I pay about 17% in taxes. Of course I am allowed to deduct for Charity, my wife and I are exemptions, etc we do have expenses that are deductible. Please expain to me why somebody who pays NO taxes gets a check from the government!

carcraft
carcraft 01/07/11 - 06:44 am
REformed Repub- Look who

REformed Repub- Look who actually recieved benefits from the Obama , Reid and Pelosi spending binge. Insurance companies, Chrysler, Banks, Wall Street firms, windmill production in China and Spain, it wasn't the little guys you tout the Democrates being in favor of. Look who supports Obama, Soros, Winfrey,long list of million and bilionares. LOL drink a little more kool aid!

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 01/07/11 - 06:48 am
You guys just go ahead and

You guys just go ahead and blindly support those who get more while YOU get less. I pay about the same percentage, and don't object. What i DO object to is that the percentage that I pay affects my bottom line, i.e. the money I have left to pay to live, much more than those who make millions more than I. Why should I feel more pain and have less of my money to live on than they?

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 01/07/11 - 07:00 am
Carcraft, are you forgetting

Carcraft, are you forgetting the tax breaks given to the wealthy that were funded by loans from China? I may be drinking kool aid, but you guys are drinking pure LSD! Try a little Thorazine for a change.

Sideshow Bob
Sideshow Bob 01/07/11 - 07:31 am
How is paying the SAME not

How is paying the SAME not fair RR? You have mentioned that twice, yet can't explain it without wealth envy.

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 01/07/11 - 08:04 am
It's easy, Bob, for you and

It's easy, Bob, for you and me, it's whether or not we can afford that car repair, education for our kids, a house payment. For the very wealthy, it's how can I afford that next Maserati.

Sideshow Bob
Sideshow Bob 01/07/11 - 09:07 am
So you CAN'T explain it

So you CAN'T explain it without wealth envy. Very well.

Nativeson1
Nativeson1 01/07/11 - 09:16 am
Fortunately the country

Fortunately the country people, well, let me correct myself, "folks" like Mr. Gilmore yearn to return will never return...You can want, as there is nothing wrong with wanting, but it's the getting you Sir will not experience....The "Grand Ole Party" is and will always be the "Grand Ole Party", and to think that a few ideological, untested and uneducated to the ways of Washington congressmen will somehow make your life right again is simply obtuse thinking....Whatever shortcomings your life entails now is yours to claim, and the GOP or Obama can nethier be rescuers or villians...You want to blame anything blame the foolish ideology and minset MOST Americans HAD and the Tea Party CURRENTLY HAS that American can wage two wars without raising taxes, that support can be bought, and that other people in the world want to be like us...That's the country that intelligent and intellectual folks, oh, let me correct myself, "people" who understand global issues have embraced, and people/dinosaurs like Mr. Gilmore can't seem to wrap their minds around...Soem ideas are on point, like reducing entitlements, but this idea that extending tax breaks for the wealthy will reduce the deficit is not...It's going to be hard working average workers in the private and public sector who will be sacrificng more, not the hedge-fund and private-equity managers whose income is protected by a law specifically designed for them that treats their income as capital gains subject to only a 15 percent tax...Wonder why nobody from the Tea Party/GOP is talking about that????

Nativeson1
Nativeson1 01/07/11 - 09:38 am
Wealth envy? Is asking that

Wealth envy? Is asking that the wealthy be required to pay taxes on the same scale and level as everyone else wealth envy? There is nothing wrong with being wealthy, but there is something wrong with people who aren't wealthy sacrificing more, while others in the same boat as the unwealthy foolishly stand guard at the temple of the wealthy like a eunuch standing gaurd over the kings herem...There is a reason why the GWB put an expiration date on the wealthy tax cuts, they weren't designed to be permanent...

Sideshow Bob
Sideshow Bob 01/07/11 - 09:42 am
To want to tax someone at a

To want to tax someone at a higher rate because you can't afford the same things they can is text book definition of wealth envy.

Sideshow Bob
Sideshow Bob 01/07/11 - 09:43 am
I have no problem taxing on

I have no problem taxing on the same scale. RR wants the wealthy taxed at a higher scale.

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/07/11 - 09:47 am
The wealth envy is so

The wealth envy is so obvious, it seems silly to keep denying it. I suppose that it is embarrassing to admit envy toward those who have done the things you were unwilling to do and therefore are more successful?

Chillen
Chillen 01/07/11 - 09:57 am
Great letter. Two

Great letter. Two thoughts.

1. Make sure to call your Senators and your Congressman regularly. Sometimes they actually listen.

2. It is so amusing to watch the liberals now. They are like rabid dogs backed in a corner. Cries of "Raise the debt ceiling or else" abound. The funniest one is "Now everything is in the hands of the Republicans" How stupid do they thing the American public is? They still control the Senate and "Excecutive Order" obama is still in the White House (puke).

Chillen
Chillen 01/07/11 - 10:02 am
reformedrepublican says "are

reformedrepublican says "are you forgetting the tax breaks given to the wealthy that were funded by loans from China? "

No, all the loose, liberal spending was funded by loans from China.

The Dems HAD their chance. They could have controlled & cut spending. They were in charge of the House, the Senate and the Executive Branch - henceforth the budget & the agenda for 2 years. They did nothing except spend more and more and more. Wastefully I might add. We have nothing to show for it. NOTHING!!!!!

All the tax cuts did was allow ME to keep more of MY money. Gee, what a novel idea!

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 01/07/11 - 10:27 am
So, Bob, you're saying that

So, Bob, you're saying that you should be able to afford your excess at the expense of my necessities?

Faces of Survival: Breast Cancer Awareness Month series

Breast cancer has touched thousands of families across the Augusta area. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, The Au­gus­ta Chronicle will be featuring ...