A former dogfighter wants a new dog?

Recently the discussion was that Michael Vick wants a dog. What? I hope and pray no innocent dog is unfortunate to "live" with Vick.

I'm glad Vick returned to football. He is a fine athlete. However, Vick should not return to owning a dog, cat, etc. -- not in my lifetime, anyway.

If the powers that be allow this action to happen, I volunteer to check on the dog's well-being every day of Vick's life.

Beth Guarnieri

justus4
justus4 12/26/10 - 02:15 am
Wow! Examine the hate,

Wow! Examine the hate, attempting to be hidden in a so-called love of animals. Ha! OK, let's review: The governor of one of those Carolinas was AWOL and put the security of the entire state at risk, then he lied about his where abouts and cost the citizens of his state thousands of dollars. The writer of this article, and others like-minded haters, should reserve some hate for those SWORN to uphold governmental duties and NOT the private citizen. It's called misplaced priorities based on prejudice and informed observer see right through the babble, but here's the rub: Vick WILL be allowed to be a pet owner AND will be selected MVP of the NFL in 2011. Oh, and the statement about being glad that the brotha "returned to football" is inconsistent with the tone of the article. In fact, the article writer says that he should NEVER own a pet, em - "not in my lifetime, anyway." Now that's over the top and exposes an entrenched and unjustifiable contempt for Vick, but probably excuses the acts of a SWORN elected official like that governor. Why the misplace hate? Yep, U guessed it and few in the minority community are fooled by such rhetoric. So expect more of this drum beating against Vick in hopes that he won't be MVP, but most sane Americans know that their government officials' behavior is more important than a guy throwing a ball - or do they?

ZEEMADMAN
ZEEMADMAN 12/26/10 - 04:33 am
Vick Has the sheer gall to

Vick Has the sheer gall to want a Dog after what He did justs says He's never had any real remorse for His past at all. This is the Guy they gave a Second Chance too because He can play Football. Over priced, over fed beef that should still be in Prison! If there's any Real Justice then no Court will ever let this Evil Human have control over any Animal. Ever. This Guy is, was and always will be a Sociopath. I'm betting He's done things since He got out that if known would put Him right back inside!

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 12/26/10 - 06:05 am
This is nothing more than

This is nothing more than media consulatant driven non-sense. Vick is not sorry about what he has done (except that it caused a threat to his cash flow) and he has been forced to help the Humane Society as part of his community service.

I guess since the crime was committed against animals instaed of human beings it is OK to allow him to get out of paying any real price for what he has done.

His jail time just added to his thug street "cred" and he is LAUGHING at you suckers that buy this act.

I doubt this mans heart has changed enough to have a dog but hey, he is a sports hero so the rules don't apply to him right?

Besides, he needs it for the publicity photos.

Brad

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/26/10 - 07:04 am
The writer's concern is

The writer's concern is valid. However, one does not have to go far to find people that mistreat pets. The little fellow in the upper left hand corner is the fourth one of his breed that I have adopted since 1986. All were mistreated by their owners and discarded like so much trash. This one came from a foster home in Gainesville, Georgia, one of 23 that had been abandoned. Thankfully, there are people that care. There are several adoption groups in the Augusta area where one can adopt a pet. The cost is minimal. If one wants a specific breed, as I did, a Google search will find hundreds of choices. God bless the people that devote their time, energies and money to help these wonderful pets.

peace4784
peace4784 12/26/10 - 07:22 am
It would be heaven on earth

It would be heaven on earth if humans are loved as much as dogs and cats. There is more outrage over an abused dog than an abused human. Child predators are released and assimilated back into society to once agin seek opportunities to prey on children. However, like it or not Vick has paid his debt to society. He has rights just like the rest of us. Lets' examine ourselves more and clean up the shortcomings in our own lives before becoming judgemental. Many pet owners are consumers of alcohol and tobacco knowing the deaths and injuries it does to a human life. Correct that issue before you condemn Micheal Vick!

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/26/10 - 07:41 am
Peace, you are right. Many

Peace, you are right. Many children are victims of abusing adults. If you want to make a difference let me recommend that you contact the Georgia Sherrif's Association or the Center for Endangered children. Both groups help a lot of children. I have supported both for years and I sleep much better knowing that I have made a difference. Deeds speak louder than words.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 12/26/10 - 08:45 am
Retired Army, I don't think

Retired Army,

I don't think "God" had anyting to do with this publicity stunt. It is about repairing Vick's image and the only "change" in his heart is the one that has $$$$ attached to it.

Would you allow a "child predator" to work at a school or adopt a young child?

This is no about the 'Lord' and his redemption and all about $$$$

Brad

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 12/26/10 - 09:00 am
peace4787, I disagree that

peace4787,

I disagree that people get more upset about animal abuses than they do about child abuse.

Silly statement to make and it makes light of the crimes this thug committed. I also disagree that he has paid any real price for his actions. He is back to making millions for playing a ball game and living the life of one of our celebrity elite. And folks like you try to downplay his crimes by comparing them to unrelated things and talking about how good he is.

My Grandfather once told me that if a man will hurt a dog out of meaness, his heart will allow him to do the same to a person.

Vick is a cruel person.

Brad

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 12/26/10 - 09:02 am
VICK IS A CRUEL PERSON. Well

VICK IS A CRUEL PERSON. Well said

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 12/26/10 - 09:12 am
Methinks this is much akin to

Methinks this is much akin to a convicted child molester, who after public apology and release from prison, decides that after due deliberation and careful consideration, he has decided he wants to adopt a young child. The matter is exactly the same, despite those bleeding hearts that will whine incessantly about how he has somehow been redeemed? Hogwash! Only when child molesters are allowed to adopt young children is when this pathetic excuse for a human being should be allowed to own another dog. Never!

mary dits
mary dits 12/26/10 - 09:23 am
do you support animal

do you support animal testing? how about for cosmetics? i know i do! i'll have the veal, and keep that monster michael vick away from my puppy! p.s. to my secret christmas admirer, i heart the calfskin boots. merry snow day, everybody! remember to throw some extra food at your dogs out there. it takes a lot of energy to stay warm in this weather.

mary dits
mary dits 12/26/10 - 09:29 am
should pig farmers be allowed

should pig farmers be allowed to raise pigs after keeping them in tiny pens and killing a bunch of them and shocking them with sticks? and they do it all for money? yes, of course, i love ham.

soldout
soldout 12/26/10 - 10:15 am
The Bible says to take care

The Bible says to take care of your animals but they aren't people. Enjoy them but don't worship them.

blakkone
blakkone 12/26/10 - 10:25 am
To all ppl who are spewing

To all ppl who are spewing hatred about Vick, how do you know its a publicity stunt? How do you know he hasnt changed (Brad??) Have you all sat down with him after the cameras were off and had a heart to heart with him? How do you know where his heart and mind is?

No one knows if he is changed or not so stop assuming. But get this, spend two years of your life in prison and Im willing to bet you will think twice about what put you in there. You will change.

justmy2cents
justmy2cents 12/26/10 - 10:29 am
If he has changed is not

If he has changed is not relevant.

He served his time, and as repulsive as it is he is free to own a dog, cat, elephant or whatever else he wants.

You can't ban him from owning a dog forever; any more than someone that robbed gas stations can never go in one after they get out of prison.

He served his time, I personally doubt it did much good but that is not the point. Let him live his life.

mary dits
mary dits 12/26/10 - 10:32 am
if you eat pork, you're

if you eat pork, you're probably eating some from smithfield farms, the world's largest pork producer, in which case you're paying money for this treatment of animals.
"The Humane Society of the United States said Wednesday that an undercover worker at a farm owned by the world's largest pork producer saw breeding pigs abused and crammed into small gestation crates... The investigation also found:

_A lame pig was shot in the forehead with a stun gun and thrown into a trash bin while still alive. A video shows the large pig with "kill" spray-painted on its back being dragged by its snout, shot in the head and thrown into a large trash bin while trying to wiggle free, then breathing heavily as it lay dying, surrounded by dead pigs.
Story continues below

_Employees jabbed pigs with gate rods to get them to move.

_Pigs biting their crates – what the organization called a sign of frustration – so hard they bled.

_Pigs with open sores because they couldn't move in the crates.

_An employee cut a basketball-sized abscess from a pig's neck with an unsterilized razor.

_Employees threw piglets into carts.

_Some premature piglets fell through the slats of gestation crates into manure pits."

blakkone
blakkone 12/26/10 - 10:34 am
Thats my point

Thats my point JUSTMY2CENTS...you stated, "I personally doubt it did much good but that is not the point", HOW DO YOU KNOW??? only time will tell, so we must not judge others...

blakkone
blakkone 12/26/10 - 10:41 am
This article is a good

This article is a good example of media manipulation.

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/26/10 - 10:42 am
pig farming notwithstanding,

pig farming notwithstanding, I am more concerned about the fact that the Falcons are going to have to beat Vick to get to the Superbowl. Now, thats a problem.

Mwilli5009
Mwilli5009 12/26/10 - 10:51 am
It is easy to say Vick didn't

It is easy to say Vick didn't change. But, if you take a very hard look at the situation, it is just as easy to assume he did:

- Vick spent 18 months in prison. I highly doubt he enjoyed that too much. Unlike Brad, who made a semi-racist statement by assuming that Michael Vick utilized his sentence to generate credibility from the streets when he never made any ties to them, I think Vick faced a real wake-up call. He lost everything due to his poor mistakes. Gone were his financial bearings, his family, friends, and job. He sat in a jail cell wondering if, not when, his shot would come about again.

- Vick is now a better football player than he ever was. I attribute this only to him being a better person than he was. Now, he has proper motivation that supplies him with the means to be successful. I think the confidence and poise that Vick has now comes from the confidence he has in himself as a person. Obviously, he didn't get better physically while in jail. It had to be mentally.

We have jail for a reason: To rehabilitate those who need it. It doesn't always work, mostly because the average person entering prison never has any shot at a future career again (would you hire a felon?). But, Vick had many driving forces towards him being a better person. Let him own a dog. I guarantee you he would never treat it like he treated the ones before, because every time he sees it, it will remind him of his past.

dani
dani 12/26/10 - 10:56 am
I congratulate Vick for his

I congratulate Vick for his success ON the football field, but he has no business owning a dog.
A dog, an animal depending on the kindness of his owner, has feelings you know and doesn't deserve Vick for it's master.

mary dits
mary dits 12/26/10 - 12:12 pm
if people don't believe that

if people don't believe that jail time fixes anything, why is it we build so many and spend all our money on it? maybe we should start building some prettier things. we're looking trashier than china right about now.

southernguy08
southernguy08 12/26/10 - 01:22 pm
"Let he who is without sin

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Jesus Christ. Come on folks, I'm sure you've heard of him. We've got child abusers and predators in our midst. They are the ones you should be railing against.

JM88
JM88 12/26/10 - 01:44 pm
I'm not sure where I come out

I'm not sure where I come out on this. I have always been and will always be a huge Michael Vick fan. Maybe I'm too naive, but it always seemed to me that he didn't understand the gravity of his crimes. Not everyone has the same respect for animals that most of us do. I don't think Vick truly comprehended how cruel his actions were. It's not an insignificant fact that Vick did not have a criminal record before his dogfighting charges.

Anyone who says he isn't a changed man since his prison sentence isn't paying attention. He is much more mature, humble and studious now than he ever was during his tenure with Falcons. It's obvious, not only in his improved play on the field but also in the way he conducts himself. The cynics can say he's just putting on a good show, but as someone who's followed his career closely, I am convinced it's been a genuine transformation.

Should Vick be able to own a dog again? The arguments against it make sense. I would also say that he'd have to be really stupid to harm an animal again given what he's been through. I guess you could say I'm on the fence of this issue, which makes me wonder why I'm even weighing in at all. I suppose I just feel like people need to move on. If you want to hate Vick forever, I suppose you're justified in that. But I've seen the changes.

LouLou
LouLou 12/26/10 - 02:13 pm
He is as guilty with this as

He is as guilty with this as a sexual child abuser. Same law for them should apply to such as this.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 12/26/10 - 02:19 pm
He is a great football

He is a great football player, he is rich, he entertains us. So let him do anything he wants.

Brad

Cadence
Cadence 12/26/10 - 02:32 pm
Deflection. Attempting to

Deflection. Attempting to deflect the discussion from the true topic, which is Michael Vick wanting to keep dogs again after torturing and killing so many of them. A person who can do that is damaged in some way, in my opinion. Has nothing to do with factory farm practices or personal salvation.

southernguy08
southernguy08 12/26/10 - 03:14 pm
LOU LOU, listen to yourself.

LOU LOU, listen to yourself. Do you really favor giving animals the same rights as humans? If so, let's start putting everyone who makes food from animal products and those who consume, I'll bet including you, on trial for murder. Dog fighting is wrong, but Michael Vick paid for that crime, and he should be left alone unless he crosses that line again.

dani
dani 12/26/10 - 03:20 pm
I have absolutely no doubt

I have absolutely no doubt that Vick can manage to survive just fine without a dog. Lots of apartment dwellers aren't allowed pets. None of us get everything we WANT, and that is what this is about. Show me where he NEEDS a dog and I might change my mind.

Kettle donations rise in 2014