Preserve nation's Christian principles

Ever since America was established by its Founding Fathers (who, by the way, were Christians), just about every political, religious or loony individual and/or organization has attempted to change it to suit their own concept of what it ought to be, or destroy it altogether.

During my 80 years, I have seen many changes -- some of which I am proud of because I believe they made America more Christ-oriented. What I don't like is seeing our government giving in to non-Christian principles, under the guise of "being fair to everybody."

I read nothing in the Constitution that even hints America must be changed to protect or promote the rights of those who want to overthrow or "remake" it. I say they are welcome here, but if they don't like a "Christian America," then go somewhere else -- but don't try to make America into that "somewhere else."

I am convinced the American citizens are partly to blame for the loss of some of our freedoms. I believe, from the beginning, any time the authorities demanded or moved in to dismantle a Christian symbol, every business and house in the town or city should have erected one in front of their place. They couldn't have put everybody in jail.

Is it too late to start? Only true Americans can answer that. Today, when someone bids me "happy holidays," I answer, "No -- merry Christmas." If everyone would do that, at least that's a start.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

J.F. Rodgers

Clearwater, S.C.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/15/10 - 01:09 pm
That's true freebird. The

That's true freebird. The question is, do we rely on the correct mechanic to show us how to fix the wheel.

Patty-P
Patty-P 12/15/10 - 01:44 pm
freebird is right....

freebird is right....

freebird
freebird 12/15/10 - 02:32 pm
see..that's my piont....the

see..that's my piont....the "correct" mechanic is going to be different for different people...and sometime, if it is not hurting others, it doesn't need to be "fixed" and wow patty p.....i always thought of myself as left...:)

Jane18
Jane18 12/15/10 - 03:17 pm
Also freebird, everyone knows

Also freebird, everyone knows you're not right..........in any sese of the word.

Jane18
Jane18 12/15/10 - 03:19 pm
Didn't hit that n hard

Didn't hit that n hard enough. (sense)

libertarianvoter
libertarianvoter 12/15/10 - 03:46 pm
ICL wrote, "You may have

ICL wrote, "You may have different groups or sects that have different beliefs in doctrine or traditions "

Okay and that would be a problem right there wouldn't it? How would you feel if a Mormon was a political leader that tried to push his traditions on you or a Jehova's Witness that made celebrating Christmas illegal or a Church of Christ member that said that instruments should not be in church or a Catholic who thinks that everyone has to confess their sins to a priest behind a wall?

bettyboop
bettyboop 12/15/10 - 04:34 pm
I was created in the image of

I was created in the image of my God....I 'm not sure about YOU freebird but there are no apes in my geneology....however by the comments .... some on here perhaps did evolve from animals......

freebird
freebird 12/15/10 - 04:43 pm
awwww..should have known my

awwww..should have known my comeback would be deleted...it was a good one....anyway bettyboop.....you are correct....some on here did evolve from animals....i just happen to believe we all did

burninater
burninater 12/15/10 - 05:02 pm
Betty, believe me, the

Betty, believe me, the evolution origin produces far less bitterness than the origin that dictates we were created by an entity that raises souls from eternal damnation if and only if they subscribe to the appropriate belief system ...

Jackson
Jackson 12/15/10 - 05:12 pm
Merry Christmas, Happy New

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and all the other holidays I use as an excuse to get drunk!

Excuse me...Used to use to get drunk.

politicalsanity
politicalsanity 12/15/10 - 05:18 pm
I'm astounded at how little

I'm astounded at how little of our history some of these people know.

America was founded as a SECULAR nation, specifically because of the atrocities brought on the colonists by the theocratic governments of the colonies; Rhode Island was founded as a sanctuary from those fleeing the abuses of the Massachusetts Colony.

Not only that, but Christmas itself was banned by the Massachusetts Colony between 1659 and 1681, because of its pagan origin. It was based on the Festival of Saturnalia.

Roman pagans first introduced the holiday of Saturnalia, a week long period of lawlessness celebrated between December 17-25. During this period, Roman courts were closed, and Roman law dictated that no one could be punished for damaging property or injuring people during the weeklong celebration. The festival began when Roman authorities chose “an enemy of the Roman people” to represent the “Lord of Misrule.” Each Roman community selected a victim whom they forced to indulge in food and other physical pleasures throughout the week. At the festival’s conclusion, December 25th, Roman authorities believed they were destroying the forces of darkness by brutally murdering this innocent man or woman.

The ancient Greek writer poet and historian Lucian (in his dialogue entitled Saturnalia) describes the festival’s observance in his time. In addition to human sacrifice, he mentions these customs: widespread intoxication; going from house to house while singing naked; rape and other sexual license; and consuming human-shaped biscuits (still produced in some English and most German bakeries during the Christmas season).

politicalsanity
politicalsanity 12/15/10 - 05:23 pm
InChristLove-- you

InChristLove-- you wrote:

"

"I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus. I have little doubt that our whole country will soon be rallied to the unity of our creator."

This was written in the front of Thomas Jefferson's personal bible....doesn't sound much like an atheist either."

Actually, he wasn't an atheist. He was a DEIST-- who believed in the God of Nature, but who had a remarkable contempt for the Christian clergy.

He admired the philosophy and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth-- but edited out of his Bible everything relating to the supernatural aspects of the religion.

bettyboop
bettyboop 12/15/10 - 05:38 pm
LOL...truth hurts...but the

LOL...truth hurts...but the prayer remains :)

Merry Christmas!

momster59
momster59 12/15/10 - 05:54 pm
Jackson - Happy belated

Jackson - Happy belated Chanukah, Happy belated St. Nickolause Day, Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa, Peaceful Winter Solstice, Happy New Year....oh what the heck, Happy Holidays!

Religions are always evolving....priceless!

If you feel threatened by the fact that we have separation of church and state, and you feel that religion should be legislated, remember that perhaps my religious beliefs may be forced upon you. For all you Christians out there, beware what you ask for, I am not Christian. Do you REALLY want me to be able to legislate your spiritual life?

Oh, and by the way, don't tell me to leave, my ancestors were here at least 9000 years before yours.

dougk
dougk 12/15/10 - 06:40 pm
Oh, Momster. Your primitive

Oh, Momster. Your primitive peoples didn't know any better. YOU, now, because of our founding fathers who created this nation on sound Christian principles (e.g., slaves and Injun reservations and all) have the wonderful opportunity to enjoy eternal life with the gang who have found the ONLY one, true path. If you reject it....well, then, I think you will burn.

lovingthesouth72
lovingthesouth72 12/16/10 - 09:21 am
Have you ever had a Birthday

Have you ever had a Birthday party in your name where all your friends were invited, everyone brought gifts for each other, but YOU, the one that has the birthday was not welcomed, not even recognized? I guess not. That is how senseless it is to remove Christ from Christmas. This is HIS birth we are celebrating. If you do not believe in this, then don't celebrate, and don't have a party. To do otherwise is pure hypocrisy. Merry Christmas everyone! May the love of Christ reach out to each and every one of you, even you non-believers, that you may come to know God's love for you this season. Because, guess what? even if you don't believe in God and His love for you, it is still real and still exists. You just have not discovered it yet. But one day you will. And you will have found the greatest treasure of all.

rodchar
rodchar 12/16/10 - 09:39 am
Actually Poodie, the founding

Actually Poodie, the founding fathers were all Christians and wanted to be able to practice their Christianity freely, not as dictated by the British government. And just so you know, Christianity is the MOST attacked religion in the United States! Children get in trouble for praying at schools, people get fired from their jobs for expressing their beliefs, EVERY other religion is taught to children in the school system, but not Christianity. So it is no longer free to be a Christian here, but becoming more and more oppressive for Christians. At least here in the South we have a fighting chance, in every other area of the country Christian people are being oppressed left and right! But we are to give every other religion freedoms that we no longer have!

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/16/10 - 09:46 am
Very well said

Very well said lovingthesouth72! May you have a very Merry Christmas!

blakkone
blakkone 12/16/10 - 11:45 am
How do we know these stories

How do we know these stories of the founding fathers to be true? How do we know that over the span of hundreds of years, their stories were not altered by man? How do we know that they were Deist, Athiests, Christians, etc.? Is that what you were taught and you accept it as truth?

blakkone
blakkone 12/16/10 - 11:48 am
If the Greek spelled Christ

If the Greek spelled Christ with an "X", thus Xmas, then why do we still SAY chrismas, and not "Xmas"? Thats just a lame justification to subconsciously removed Christ from the holiday to make it more secular, more Santa Claus, and more commercial. So go ahead and go into debt buying gifts, and waiting for a man in a red suit...as for me i'm gonna praise Him and thank Him for this day.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 12/16/10 - 12:39 pm
"I love Christ. It's his

"I love Christ. It's his fanclub I can't stand."

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/16/10 - 12:50 pm
"We love because he first

"We love because he first loved us. If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. – 1 John 4:19-20"

All of us have sin and are imperfect creatures. Thank God our eternal desitination is decided by God and not by our fellow man.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 12/16/10 - 12:52 pm
Thanks for proving my point.

Thanks for proving my point.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/16/10 - 01:02 pm
And how did I prove your

And how did I prove your point emergencyfan.....by posting what God's Word states, or by posting that we all fall short of what God expects of us but he loves us enough to forgive us when man won't?

libertarianvoter
libertarianvoter 12/16/10 - 01:33 pm
"to practice their

"to practice their Christianity freely, not as dictated by the British government."

But I thought there was only one type of Christianity? Weird how the Protestants had a problem with Great Britain's form of Christianity when ICL says that there's only one Christianity. Hmm looks like there's different ways to worship one religion. Looks like the way people practice Christianity WOULD be a problem in government wouldn't it? Unless, of course, it's your way. That's why there is separation of church and state, and it's the most fair way.

"And just so you know, Christianity is the MOST attacked religion in the United States!"

It's also the most common religion in the US, so maybe that's why? What's popular is almost always hated. I don't hate Christianity; I love what it teaches, but I don't like the way some people twist it to try to equate politics and religion or to get elected purely based on what they believe (or say they believe).

"Children get in trouble for praying at schools"
Where and when was this? The children would have quite the lawsuit against the school if this was the case. Now, the public school/teacher/coach would get in trouble for leading a group Christian prayer because public school is a government organization that is not supposed to show favoritism to one type of religion.

"EVERY other religion is taught to children in the school system, but not Christianity."
Untrue, I have taught Global Studies 1 before, (which is ancient history) and every religion's foundation and beliefs are mentioned, but the teachers are not allowed to PROMOTE one religion over the other b/c that is illegal.

"At least here in the South we have a fighting chance, in every other area of the country Christian people are being oppressed left and right!"
A fighting chance? You have the whole state government! In the South, it's not the Christians who are oppressed, but everyone and anyone else.

fontana
fontana 12/16/10 - 02:20 pm
Noel

Noel

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/16/10 - 03:18 pm
It’s true there are many

It’s true there are many different doctrinal beliefs and traditions of Christianity, better known as denominations, but the Bible teaches there is only really one form of Christianity. That being a Christian, a follower of Jesus, is to believe and trust in Jesus as the only one who can save us from the punishment of our rebellion against God. Although these different denominations (within Christianity) all have one core belief and that is Jesus is the Messiah. Mormans and Jehovah Witnesses are not included in Christianity (although recently they are trying to included themselves in that group) They do not consider Jesus to be the Christ, the Messiah.

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 12/16/10 - 06:08 pm
Wow, I'm really glad I sat

Wow, I'm really glad I sat this argument out. BTW, ALL of you are wrong to various degrees. America was modeled on MASONIC principles. Specifically, that we would be lenient to no specific religion, but let out hearts and reason tell us what is true and good, nor would we be "stupid atheists." So, go shake a Mason's hand today and thank him for what past Mason's have accomplished before him.

libertarianvoter
libertarianvoter 12/17/10 - 08:10 am
Well it was a rousing debate

Well it was a rousing debate and I never purported the founding fathers were atheists nor Christians.

ICL and everyone have a Merry Christmas :-)

Smith case referred to Attorney General's office

A state probe into allegations former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith moonlighted for a hospitality company while drawing his Georgia State Patrol salary will be reviewed by the state attorney ...