Preserve nation's Christian principles

Ever since America was established by its Founding Fathers (who, by the way, were Christians), just about every political, religious or loony individual and/or organization has attempted to change it to suit their own concept of what it ought to be, or destroy it altogether.

During my 80 years, I have seen many changes -- some of which I am proud of because I believe they made America more Christ-oriented. What I don't like is seeing our government giving in to non-Christian principles, under the guise of "being fair to everybody."

I read nothing in the Constitution that even hints America must be changed to protect or promote the rights of those who want to overthrow or "remake" it. I say they are welcome here, but if they don't like a "Christian America," then go somewhere else -- but don't try to make America into that "somewhere else."

I am convinced the American citizens are partly to blame for the loss of some of our freedoms. I believe, from the beginning, any time the authorities demanded or moved in to dismantle a Christian symbol, every business and house in the town or city should have erected one in front of their place. They couldn't have put everybody in jail.

Is it too late to start? Only true Americans can answer that. Today, when someone bids me "happy holidays," I answer, "No -- merry Christmas." If everyone would do that, at least that's a start.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

J.F. Rodgers

Clearwater, S.C.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/14/10 - 02:07 pm
Poodie, I must disagree with

Poodie, I must disagree with your statement " If we have lost our way as a nation, it's not because we have lost our religion, but because we no longer revere its foundational document;the constitution"

If we have lost our way as a nation, it is because we have lost our reverence - but not for some documentation, but for our Almighty God.

burninater
burninater 12/14/10 - 02:47 pm
Yawn.

Yawn.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 12/14/10 - 03:38 pm
When the British Pilgrims

When the British Pilgrims left their home country, due to their religious beilefs and invaded what is now the United States, they did it to preserve their religious freedoms. Our "founding fathers" took this into account when the Constitution was written and made it free to practice what ever religion you wish to practice without interference from the government.

Mr. Rodgers seems to believe that since the "founding fathers" were Christians, that be golly, we must all be Christians to conform. This just is not the case, and to mandate that you must be Christian to be American, just plain "un-American."

dani
dani 12/14/10 - 04:20 pm
I can not see why you would

I can not see why you would combine the two. Are we too selfish now to say both. It only take a second of your time to say " Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year" doesn't it?

orgpsych
orgpsych 12/14/10 - 04:56 pm
X is the Greek letter Chi,

X is the Greek letter Chi, the firswt letter in Christ when spelled in Greek. Early Christians used X as a short-hand way to identify themselves to each other. X Mass was the Christ Mass. Xmas is the earliest was to identify this holiday.

Then some insecure boob decided that he/shje NEEDED to spell out CHRISTmas in order to be properly holy and devout. It's kind of like the wealthy man praying in the temple next to the pauper.

Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays? Say whichever you wish. Don't use it as an opporunity to prosyletize in either direction. Worship as you will and enjoy the holidays as you will. In the end, according to evangelical Christianity, your actions do you no good whatsoever. So why abuse each other over personal rituals? Your faith is yours.

BTW, Thomas Jefferson, the author of the Declaration of Independence and one of those Founding fathefrs, wrote a clarifying statement in which he coined the term "Separation of Church and State." This was crongruent with opinions and clarifying documents issued by other founding fathers (some cited previously). I think it is pretty clear that this was their intention.

If your faith is so weak that it must be legislated then your faith is pretty weak.

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 12/14/10 - 05:34 pm
Jane, what did Christ tell

Jane, what did Christ tell the disciples to do if people in a city would not listen to them? did He say "Go out to force them to listen", or did He say, "Brush the dust off your sandals, and leave the city"? He also said "Cast not your pearls before swine". Christ said "They will know you by your love." I agree that WE are responsible for much of the loss of our "Christian" principles, by being so concerned with what we earn and where we live and what we have, that we don't PARENT our children. Christian parents should be praying with their children BEFORE they go to school, not allowing someone else to teach them their theology and practice. If YOU behave like a Christian, PARENT your children and TEACH them, instead of abdicating your responsibility to video games, IPODs and cel phones they would be the catalyst to move us back towards what letter writer feels our country should be. What our country stands for isn't embedded in the government, it's in our hearts and it should show in how we love.

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 12/14/10 - 05:35 pm
OH!! MERRY XMAS!!!! By the

OH!! MERRY XMAS!!!! By the way, before you go off about the intentional X, remember, X is the Greek symbol for Christ, so by saying XMAS, you ARE saying Christmas. Go look it up.

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 12/14/10 - 07:25 pm
Orgpsych, when I posted, I

Orgpsych, when I posted, I was reading the previous page, and didn't see your post at 4:34. WELL said sir.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/14/10 - 07:39 pm
Hucklebuck, you can call it

Hucklebuck, you can call it "Founding Father's garbage" if you like but this nation was founded on Christian principles and denying it doesn't change history.

Do some research at http://www.faithofourfathers.net/
This site gives an explanation and also a summary of each of the Founding Fathers and their view of God and Biblical standards. Read it and then come back and tell us if they believed in God.

I guess by your post you feel that all southerners are Christians since you blame everyone in the south for the racism, brutality, and slavery. Although these things are horrible, and I'm sure not committed by only Christians, Christians are not perfect people. They fail to meet God's standard just like non-Christians do, although we do try to obey His Word and live the kind of life He instructs us to.

You're right this nation is not now a Christian nation.....but it use to be.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 12/14/10 - 07:58 pm
That's right ICL! Merry

That's right ICL! Merry Christmas to you and to all my brothers and sisters in the CSRA!

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/14/10 - 08:00 pm
May you and your family have

May you and your family have a very Merry Christmas also scoop!

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/14/10 - 08:27 pm
Hucklebuck - you don't read

Hucklebuck - you don't read much about the founding fathers do you ..

This is speach given by the President in Nov 1794 ... which was George Washington.

last paragraph - " Let us unite, therfore, in imploring the Supreme Ruler of nations so spread his holy protection over these United States ... "

Washington did sound much like a atheist at all.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/14/10 - 08:30 pm
"I am a real Christian, that

"I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus. I have little doubt that our whole country will soon be rallied to the unity of our creator."

This was written in the front of Thomas Jefferson's personal bible....doesn't sound much like an atheist either.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 12/14/10 - 08:41 pm
If the founding fathers were

If the founding fathers were atheist ... why would they have appointed two Chaplains ... one for the House and one for the Senate ... for each Congress since Congress was formed. Even those that were in office and helped write and pass the 1st Amendment appoionted Chaplains ... they must of throught that this show of religion wasn't a violation of the law they wrote.

But then again some think they can just make up history.

IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG
IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG 12/14/10 - 09:17 pm
I know I am a little late,

I know I am a little late, but HAPPY HANUKKAH!

dougk
dougk 12/14/10 - 10:18 pm
It's NOT Happy Hanukkah. I'm

It's NOT Happy Hanukkah. I'm going to stomp my feet like a spoiled brat little child and and demand that it be "Happy Holidays!!!"

downtoearthincsra
downtoearthincsra 12/14/10 - 11:53 pm
Mr. Rodgers, If you would

Mr. Rodgers,

If you would take the time to study American History, you would be aware that our country was founded on freedom of religion, not on Christianity. Some of the founding fathers were Deists, including Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, Ethan Allen etc. The did not think Christ was the Son of God, did not believe in the Trinity, had no belief in miracles, atonement or resurrection. Along with Madison and Monroe, if your history slips your mind, these were both presidents, others valued human reason over Biblical authority. The writings of these men were also in the Deist form.
I'm sure that you along with others will blast me, but guess what? I'm a Christian, I'm a missionary serving abroad, and I have dedicated my life to the Lord. So don't waste your breath, or your time typing. Educated people make sure that they know what they are talking about before expressing views. I would suggest that you educate yourself with the history of our United States.

arcdog
arcdog 12/15/10 - 01:22 am
Religion should be personal,

Religion should be personal, but Christians constantly feel the need for some country-wide "group hug" of sorts. We're a country with secular laws, and thankfully you can worship as you wish, or not at all. Why isnt that enough? Is it because you need affirmation from others to convince yourself that your faith is the right one? Just lol that folks like Thomas Jefferson and Thomas Paine were "Christian" - you must've gone to public school in the CSRA. They believed in god, but not like you do. Most of the founders were Christian, but many many werent, and honestly it doesnt matter, for they founded a nation built on the theories and principles which began in Ancient Greece and Rome during the time before there was such a thing as "Christianity."

If you can find me anything in our "Christian" constitution or bill of rights that doesnt exist in most countries, then I'd like to see it. You couldnt steal, kill or take others property in Ancient Greece at a time when the Jews were a small group in obscurity - we basically have the same laws, and yet many have convinced themselves that without the Bible, such laws wouldve been impossible to conceive.

Ignorance is bliss, and so have a Happy Holidays.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 12/15/10 - 02:30 am
J.F. Rodgers says "I read

J.F. Rodgers says "I read nothing in the Constitution that even hints America must be changed to protect or promote the rights of those who want to overthrow or "remake" it."

I believe the first six words of his sentence.

Jackson
Jackson 12/15/10 - 02:55 am
Suzy Q, Now that is funny!!!

Suzy Q,
Now that is funny!!!

bettyboop
bettyboop 12/15/10 - 04:46 am
Merry Christmas arcdog !!!

Merry Christmas arcdog !!!

geminibuddha
geminibuddha 12/15/10 - 07:27 am
I find it hilarious that

I find it hilarious that "InChristLove" uses a christian based web link to shore up his request to "do your research". I suggest that he do his research. As stated by previous readers, the original founding fathers were either Deists or Atheists. Deists pretty much believe that the world was wound up like a clock and then left to run. I find it quite sad that so many people spend so much time arguing what sect of religion our country was based on. We were not founded on a particular religion. We were founded on PRINCIPALS. The principals that expect people/citizens to have compassion on their fellow man. Tolerance is another principle that was held dear. Rather than trying to argue about Christian values, how about trying to show your values by helping those in need. How about using judgement only toward yourselves to make yourself a better christian. Unfortunately, a high percentage of folks in the south have a problem curbing their judgment. I am not a christian. I probably know as much, if not more, about the bible than most pastors here do. I remember the story of Jesus being brought the young harlot and the Jewish leaders asking Jesus if they should stone her. Of course, Jesus told them to look at their own lives and if they were guiltless, to throw the first stone. Christians in the south, throw stones all day long. My bottom line is: your "reelationship" with Christ is a "personal" one....keep it that way and let people with their own brains decide what is best for them.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/15/10 - 07:59 am
geminibuddha, I'm glad I gave

geminibuddha, I'm glad I gave you a laugh. I believe if you would go back and read my post carefully before passing judgement on me you would see that I spoke of Christian principles and not on the personal salvation of any of the founding fathers. The quotes I posted, doesn't sound like atheist to me, when they are proclaiming the name of God. The site I referenced speaks of each one and their view of God....no where did I mention whether they were "Christian", only that they believe in the core values that there is an Almighty God. Next time you speak on judging, maybe you should keep the stones in your own pocket.

I do find you statement that you probably know more about the Bible than most pastors a bit hilarious myself. You may have a head knowledge of the words written in this book but it is impossible for you to have a heart knowledge which allows for a complete understanding of the Word of God. How can you understand a love language when you are not in the relationsip. A relationship with Christ is personal, but who's to say we have to keep quiet about it. I want the whole world to know what an AWESOME God I serve and how He has changed my life. When something good comes into your life, do you want to keep quiet about it? Do you keep it to yourself? I don't think so, you want to tell everyone. Why should this be different with Christians. I am a child of the King and He has made my life wonderful! He has met my personal, physical, and financial needs when I couldn't see any way. He loves me unconditionally, even when I screw up and He's been a comfort many times. He has healed me personally and I've also seen it happen in others. So you continue to use your own brain and continue to deny Him, and I'll continue to proclaim His name.

Jackson
Jackson 12/15/10 - 10:04 am
I had a Christian Principle

I had a Christian Principle once. Of course she was a nun and it was a Catholic school.

freebird
freebird 12/15/10 - 10:23 am
ASK THE NATIVE PEOPLE ABOUT

ASK THE NATIVE PEOPLE ABOUT THAT CHRISTIAN LOVE... this land was not "found" it was "invaded"

libertarianvoter
libertarianvoter 12/15/10 - 10:54 am
First, Christianity is

First, Christianity is totally allowed to be a part of any private business or home. No one has said it isn't. Where the debate is (and shouldn't be) is religion in the government.

The Establishment Clause specifically states the government cannot promote one religion over another. Government includes: public schools and government offices. You say that most of America is Christian, but you forget that there are different types of Christianity and not every one of them believes in celebrating Christmas. So, which version Christianity would you like to rule America? I'm very curious about this. Would you like to participate in the Puritan form? They did not like big extravagant things dealing with their religion, so I doubt they would approve at the huge display of Christmas decorations to begin with. (I'm assuming the Puritans are the founders you are talking about b/c if you're saying the Framers are the founders and you're saying THEY'RE ALL Christian, then you're wrong.) There are also other current forms of Christianity that do not believe in celebrating Christmas, so I ask once more: WHICH FORM OF CHRISTIANITY WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE RULE AMERICA? DO YOU EXPECT EVERYONE TO BE HAPPY WITH THIS?

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 12/15/10 - 11:52 am
Ironically, religion evolves.

Ironically, religion evolves.

freebird
freebird 12/15/10 - 12:51 pm
good way to get em

good way to get em libertarianvoter...will you good christian ladies have to give up your creamy red lipstick and your golden blonde #23 and don't forget your pantyhose, for the puritan lifestyle?! hahahahah and yes relegion does evolve...just like we did from apes....

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/15/10 - 01:48 pm
freebird, I wouldn't be so

freebird, I wouldn't be so quick to jump on libertarianvoter's band wagon.....looks like he has a defective wheel.

There is only one Christianity. It is a personal relationship between yourself and Almighty God. You may have different groups or sects that have different beliefs in doctrine or traditions but Christianity is a group of people who believe in the Old and New Testament teachings and as Jesus Christ being the Savior, the Messiah, the Son of God.

freebird
freebird 12/15/10 - 02:00 pm
we all have a defective wheel

we all have a defective wheel

Man arrested in Sunday's fatal shooting

Walter L. Johnson, 60, was booked into the Richmond County jail Tuesday on charges of murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.