Preserve nation's Christian principles

Ever since America was established by its Founding Fathers (who, by the way, were Christians), just about every political, religious or loony individual and/or organization has attempted to change it to suit their own concept of what it ought to be, or destroy it altogether.

During my 80 years, I have seen many changes -- some of which I am proud of because I believe they made America more Christ-oriented. What I don't like is seeing our government giving in to non-Christian principles, under the guise of "being fair to everybody."

I read nothing in the Constitution that even hints America must be changed to protect or promote the rights of those who want to overthrow or "remake" it. I say they are welcome here, but if they don't like a "Christian America," then go somewhere else -- but don't try to make America into that "somewhere else."

I am convinced the American citizens are partly to blame for the loss of some of our freedoms. I believe, from the beginning, any time the authorities demanded or moved in to dismantle a Christian symbol, every business and house in the town or city should have erected one in front of their place. They couldn't have put everybody in jail.

Is it too late to start? Only true Americans can answer that. Today, when someone bids me "happy holidays," I answer, "No -- merry Christmas." If everyone would do that, at least that's a start.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

J.F. Rodgers

Clearwater, S.C.

soldout
soldout 12/13/10 - 10:39 pm
Good letter Mr. Rodgers. I

Good letter Mr. Rodgers. I am sorry you will be attacked in the comments for writing it. Christ had the same problem and he said "Forgive them for they know not what they do" and I am sure you can do the same.

dani
dani 12/13/10 - 10:45 pm
I agree with soldout. Good

I agree with soldout. Good letter. It might be a tough fight but there is no doubt who the final winners will be.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 12/13/10 - 11:39 pm
Good letter...get ready now

Good letter...get ready now for all those who will challenge that we were begun as a Christian nation. They rewrite history for their own purposes. Yet what we must realize is that we are no longer a "Christian" nation because a large portion of our people don't follow Christ and thus we reap the devastation of a nation that has turned it's back on God. But with that said there is a large remnant of believers still left and we must fight the good fight of faith. Pray for revival in America!

Jackson
Jackson 12/14/10 - 06:35 am
Dang right, it's MERRY

Dang right, it's MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! I don't know how Happy Holidays got started but I refuse to say it.

dougk
dougk 12/14/10 - 06:35 am
The writer did not explain

The writer did not explain how the government is giving in to "non-Christian principles." Christians won't even agree on what constitutes Christian principles.
Everyone has an opportunity to display religious symbols at a home or a business that he/she owns. That's the religious freedom that the nation was founded upon. So, what's all the ranting about?

momster59
momster59 12/14/10 - 07:08 am
So, Mr. Rogers, you're saying

So, Mr. Rogers, you're saying that non christians have no place in our society? Have you actually READ the Constitution? When has anyone been thrown in jail for displaying religious symbols on their property?
Wow! Welcome to the American Taliban.

Hey Jackson! Happy Holidays dude.

OJP
OJP 12/14/10 - 07:24 am
The religious affiliations of

The religious affiliations of our Founding Fathers aren't as clear as this letter suggests. While most, if not all, had a Christian background, many were deists. Jefferson, for example, rewrote the Bible to exclude any supernatural elements.

And it seems odd to me to claim this is a Christian nation but in the same breath complain about efforts to be fair. Jesus was quite the Socialist. (Note: I'm not necessarily advocating modeling our government after Jesus' beliefs.)

Finally, as the War on the Phantom War on Christmas heats up once again, I'd like to say that I have no problem with Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, primarily because winter festivals have been celebrated for eons - and the name notwithstanding, this season has almost no uniquely Christian elements. The Christians simply co-opted an already popular festival. Smart, but let's not kid ourselves and claim that Jesus is the reason for the season.

OJP

dashiel
dashiel 12/14/10 - 07:29 am
Back when the movie, The Ten

Back when the movie, The Ten Commandments, first came out, a clever Hollywood Jew with a gift for promotion gave more stone tablets to more communities than Moses could have done if he'd had a high res scanner on upload.

Some of them are still around. They might have helped promote that Bible picture, but I doubt they did much for Christianity. The Constitution and our forefathers aside, the best measure of a Christian is how one stands up to Satan.

I think that's what Mr. Rodgers means and I agree with him. Welcome to the neighborhood, but respect must be earned. Otherwise, every harlot and charlatan would be respectable.

By the way, I collect these "monuments" for when I make my appearance on the Antiques Roadshow, so please help if you know of one I might've overlooked.

Jackson
Jackson 12/14/10 - 08:06 am
Happy Holidays Momster! Hey I

Happy Holidays Momster! Hey I said I wouldn't say it. I never said I wouldn't type it!

I wonder how long it will be before Elvis is considered a Deity?

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/14/10 - 08:07 am
You do know some of our

You do know some of our founding fathers were atheists...right??

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays.....I like both!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/14/10 - 08:13 am
Excuse me...deists is a

Excuse me...deists is a better word.
About 20% of people will place themselves in the agnostic group. So it is not usual that among 55 Founding Fathers you would find around 10 of them that would question the orthodox teachings of the Christian church. Jefferson was fit into that group. While Franklin did at the time, later in life he would become friends with one of the great preachers of the revival that followed shortly after the Revolutionary War - Jonathan Edwards, and would be converted and spend the last few years of his life supporting his ministry and very active in the Christian church.

Poodie
Poodie 12/14/10 - 08:40 am
The author is misguided. The

The author is misguided. The religious intolerance to which he ascribes was the very motivation of our founding fathers. They put effective safeguards into the constitution and the bill of rights to insure government neutrality in matters of religion. The irony that the author misses is that the same rights that he is constitutionally afforded to practice his religion are the same rights given others to practice theirs. If we have lost our way as a nation, it's not because we have lost our religion, but because we no longer revere its foundational document;the constitution. Remember, we are not a Biblical Republic, but a Constitutional Republic. Both the far left wing democrats and the ultra right wing Christian extremists always seem to ignore this fact. The Bible is NOT the source of our rights!
Happy Holidays!

dani
dani 12/14/10 - 08:37 am
These same comments have

These same comments have raged on for hundreds of years, and yet God lives on.
Perhaps some of these posters have met and know his opponent but as for me, I have the pleasure of knowing Christ.

LarryLinn
LarryLinn 12/14/10 - 08:49 am
My grandparents were

My grandparents were Christians in Northern Ireland. She was Protestant, and he was Catholic. They had to flee after death threats. When I became of age, I volunteered and joined the Army, and I served as an 11B Infantryman. Most of my time in the field was in squad or platoon size operations. We would have discussions about what we were fighting for. It always came back to the “Bill of Rights”. To me the most important was “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…”
What did our Founding Fathers have to say about religion:
"Question with boldness even the existence of a god." - Thomas Jefferson (letter to Peter Carr, 10 August 1787):
"All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason;
"Religion and government will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.", John Madison;
“Lighthouses are more helpful than Churches”, Benjamin Franklin

aladienfadel
aladienfadel 12/14/10 - 08:53 am
Mr. Rogers stated I read

Mr. Rogers stated

so let me remind you of what is stated in the Constitution.
It does not state any where in Constitution that the United States of America is "Christian America,". The majority of US citizens are Christians and are protected by the Constitution to exercise their Religion freely. This does eliminate the rights of non-Christianss to do the same. US citizenship is not issued by the church. You do not have the right to expel a person from his own country because he is not Christian.

I can not believe how ACES allow such letters to be published just to create divisions and disrespect.

Poodie
Poodie 12/14/10 - 08:59 am
"US citizenship is not issued

"US citizenship is not issued by the church". Well said Aladienfadel!

Jane18
Jane18 12/14/10 - 09:04 am
I'd say the best measure of a

I'd say the best measure of a Christian is how one stands UP FOR GOD(sorry dashiel). If we do that, satan is nothing to handle!! JESUS was not quite the socialist! Far from it. The priests(synagogues$$) were supposed to help the widows,orphans, sick, handicapped,etc., not the Roman government. Religious freedoms, imprisonment, and death have occured in other countries to those brave and strong in their beliefs to stand for Christianity. To think it won't happen in America seems farfetched................Who knows? Very good letter Mr. Rodgers, hang tough for our SAVIOUR!!! And a big ole' Merry Christmas to you!!

bettyboop
bettyboop 12/14/10 - 09:05 am
Merry Christmas......remember

Merry Christmas......remember Jesus is the reason for the season....if you do not believe this then why do you celebrate at all? I do not celebrate kwanza...or my Jewish Friends holidays nor any muslims festivities.......I celebrate Christmas because it is my Saviours Birthday...again I say Merry Christmas!!

mommie2
mommie2 12/14/10 - 09:11 am
Can someone please show me in

Can someone please show me in the Constitution where it says we are a christian nation?! Come on. "When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.” -Sinclair Lewis

mommie2
mommie2 12/14/10 - 09:14 am
Happy Holidays: A shortened

Happy Holidays: A shortened version to include Christmas and New Years.....

Get over it people.

bettyboop
bettyboop 12/14/10 - 09:17 am
Merry CHRISTmas...!!

Merry CHRISTmas...!!

dani
dani 12/14/10 - 10:13 am
The Jewish branch of my

The Jewish branch of my family(from VA) will be in Augusta on Dec 23rd for 3 days to celebrate with us. I love these people dearly, (one is my grandson) and I am thankful that we can all respect the beliefs of the other. It is enough for NOW to know that we all serve God.

The Constitution we must respect, it is a great document, but it is the laws of man, not God.

Ted Turner once proclaimed to all that he was a self-made man and that there was no God. Guess who now speaks of God, who would have thought it?

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 12/14/10 - 10:09 am
Christianity cannot be

Christianity cannot be legislated; just look at the crusades; they did more harm than good. Christianity is what takes place in a person's heart when they acknowledge their sin, ask for forgiveness and accept Jesus' death on the cross as the payment for their sins. Then out of love for Jesus they seek to serve God by loving others and living out a godly example. As Christians we can only pray for a great revival would take place among God's people and that a great awakening would take place that would bring a large amount of people to Christ. It is at that point that sheer numbers of Christians can influence our government to be more godly and moral. It is only at this point that we can be one nation under God again!

dani
dani 12/14/10 - 10:12 am
Scoop. And that time will

Scoop. And that time will come.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/14/10 - 10:16 am
A shortened version?......why

A shortened version?......why do we need to shorten it. Before Dec. 25th say Merry Christmas, after the 25th say Happy New Years. These two holidays do not occur simultaneously, why combine them?

mommie2
mommie2 12/14/10 - 10:59 am
I might not see them

I might not see them throughout the month. Happy Holidays covers all bases. Words should not shake your faith. So why be so sensitive to what people say?

Jackson
Jackson 12/14/10 - 11:10 am
I agree ICL. Merry Christmas.

I agree ICL.
Merry Christmas.

eagle
eagle 12/14/10 - 12:17 pm
Merry Christmas and Happy New

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!!!!!!!!

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/14/10 - 12:21 pm
Jackson, hope you and you

Jackson, hope you and you family have a very Merry Christmas!!!

mommie2, no one said that words would shake our faith. For years everyone wished people Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Why all of a sudden people want to combine the two holidays? Next thing you know, people will be wanting to say Thanksgiving Merry Year.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/14/10 - 12:56 pm
RetiredArmy, God does not

RetiredArmy, God does not belong to any religion. It is about relationship, faith, and belonging to a family where God is the Father. Religion is a group based on a set of doctrine. If that doctrine follows the teachings of Christ in the Bible then they are referred to as Christians. If that group doesn't follow the teachings in the Bible then it is not based on God's truth.

I'm glad you don't fear the threat of hell because there is no threat. It's just a matter of choice where you want to spend eternity. God tells us in His Word there is a place called Hell. You're right in saying God love everyone, but God is also just and he has provided a way for eternal salvation for all of us. It is up to us whether we accept it or not. No one threatens or forces us, you either accept eternity with God or eternity in the lake of fire.