Seeking God? There's just one way

There seems to be a push among many church leaders to unite under the umbrella of "faith" -- Jews, Muslims, Christians, Hindus and others -- claiming that each religious order is a different path that leads to the same God.

Although we hold no ill will or hatred toward others, this suggestion is unacceptable to sincere Bible believers. There is only one path to one God, and this path is by a sovereign, all powerful, Lord Jesus Christ -- not by another religious order, or even one particular Christian denomination.

Eternal salvation is achieved for the elect of God (Ephesians 1:4-6) by Jesus Christ alone and unaided. Jesus is "author and finisher of our faith" (Hebrews 12:2). Bible believers understand that Jesus Christ is God manifest in flesh, as stated in John 1:1, 14: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God ... And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us ... ."

Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man can come unto the Father, but by me" (Mathew 14:6). Jesus also said "I and my Father are one" (John 10:30). Jesus told Philip, "Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? He that hath seen me hath seen the Father" (John 14:9). In I Timothy 2:5, the Bible states, "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus." There is no other mediator -- no other way to God.

The essence of Christian truth is found in Matthew 22:42, "What think ye of Christ, and whose son is he?" If He is who He said He is, then all should worship only Him.

Tom Hagler

Augusta

Bennie Harbin

Martinez

(The writers are members of Augusta Old Line Primitive Baptist Church in Augusta.)

soldout
soldout 12/10/10 - 10:52 pm
Amen; it all comes down to

Amen; it all comes down to what you do with Jesus. Once the Spirit of Christ lives within you; you know you made the right choice as you see Him work through you every day. Those on the outside looking in can debate you but they can't phase what is within you. Other religions claim to be right based on what they have done. As a Christian all I did was accept what He has done for me and then he will make the transformation inside me as much as I allow it to happen. Once you know; then you know you know, and nothing will ever change that.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 12/10/10 - 10:53 pm
I don't know these men or the

I don't know these men or the church they go to. I can only base my comment on the content of the letter and it is right on target. I have people say there are many roads that a person can take to get to God. If you believe that then just try this sometime. When you get ready to go home from the grocery store just take any road and see if it works. Or if you are taking a plane to New York then just get on any plane at the airport and see if you reach your destination. It is not narrow minded nor arrogant to point a person to a particular road or plane to get on. And the same is true with Jesus! He alone is the way to heaven. There is no other name given among men by which we must be saved. Jesus and Jesus alone is the way to heaven!

Jackson
Jackson 12/11/10 - 02:10 am
I have no idea but I do know

I have no idea but I do know that the Jewish faith does not believe that Jesus was the Messiah. I just can't see a benevolent God saying you must believe this way or I will torment you for eternity when you die.
We know nothing about the universe. There could be literally billions of earth like planets teeming with intellegent life. Carl Sagan said before he died that there were more galaxys in the heavens than grains of sand on planet earth. He revised it from when he first said stars.
I know nothing about religion. I believe in God but no one really knows what happens after death. Sure you can have faith but that doesn't make it true. The truth is I don't trust man enough to even think he could have translated the Bible correctly. King David wrote songs to God and now they are considered the word of God. This makes no sense to me.
Moses was a murderer of women and children and if you think the earth has only had human beings on it for 6,000 years then you really need to do some research.
I'm not saying that Jesus is not the Son Of God. Most religions have many things in common such as great floods, prophets, Holy Books, and life after death.
Personally I hope there's reincarnation. I'd hate to think we only get one chance to get it right.
I'm just stating my humble opinion and not trying to say anything about anyones faith or lack thereof.
I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and hope you all have a wonderful Holiday.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 12/11/10 - 07:37 am
I hear you, Jackson. Many

I hear you, Jackson. Many people struggle with the concept of hell, as well they should. I'll just share some thoughts about it that have helped me understand it (if I really do).

First off, God does not want you in hell. In fact, he came to earth (as Jesus), lived and died, so you could avoid hell. Why is there a hell in the first place? Why not take everyone to heaven to be with God? Well, most people don't want that. How do we know that? They don't believe in God, and want nothing to do with him here. Why should they desire to spend eternity in heaven with a God they reject (or even despise)? God, being a respecter of personal choice) does not force anyone to love him. If you want to exist without him, then he gives you that right. Hell was not created for man; it was created for angels who rebelled (like Satan). But, we have the right to go there, if we so desire.

So, hell is our choice, not God's. God has given us our "ticket to heaven" in Jesus. But, it's up to us whether we use that ticket or not. That's a big reason why Christians are so hung up on Jesus. As the LTE points out, Jesus is our way to spend eternity with God in heaven and avoid hell. Jesus, being God, could provide that escape. No man or man-made system, religion, or philosophy can compare to Jesus.

batya
batya 12/11/10 - 08:05 am
Well said hcwk. Jackson, "The

Well said hcwk.

Jackson, "The Case For Christ" and "The Case For a Creator" by Lee Strobel would be great reads for you. This guy was an atheist that went out and did open-minded research beyond the bible....and what he found was fascinating. I pray that God will reveal Himself to you, and Merry Christmas to you as well!

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 12/11/10 - 08:21 am
There's much to appreciate in

There's much to appreciate in this letter by Messrs. Hagler and Harbin. They've told the truth clearly, concisely, and in a spirit of love. In addition, the editorial staff has apparently published all the writers' Bible verses, which is a tremendous improvement over an earlier staff's policy of allowing only one or two Bible references per letter.

It's good to hear the Gospel coming from Augusta's Old Line Primitive Baptist Church. Primitive Baptists, because of their belief in predestination, tend to do little or no outreach locally. I hope this letter is a sign of more things to come from Primitive Baptists in the CSRA.

unitedwelive
unitedwelive 12/11/10 - 08:43 am
Mr. Howcanweknow You didn't

Mr. Howcanweknow
You didn't answer me the first question, but you might able to answer this. How can we know that some one accepted Jesus, Moses, Ibrahim or any other one, ended his life to be in heaven or hill, did you meet with some one came back to you after death and told you some thing?
Can you tell me where is the place of people were living before Jesus are they in hill just because didn't get chance to know Jesus and accept him?
Give any answer if you can or stop talking without knowledge.

lovingthesouth72
lovingthesouth72 12/11/10 - 08:46 am
That is why he left us the

That is why he left us the Church - so she could accomplish this task of leading people to Christ. Let's not forget what Christ himself said "You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of hell will not prevail against it" (Matt. 16:18). If you are following Christ that means you will have to follow his teachings as well. It is not an easy road. Remember, that Christ was nailed to a cross. But at the end was redemption.

unitedwelive
unitedwelive 12/11/10 - 08:55 am
Mr. Howcanweknow. Humiliating

Mr. Howcanweknow.
Humiliating others, mistreating them while they are God's creation is enough reason to let you be in Hell. So be careful and follow Jesus the right way not the wrong way

Jackson
Jackson 12/11/10 - 08:59 am
unitedwelive I'm sorry but I

unitedwelive
I'm sorry but I don't understand your comment. I don't mean to be condesending but maybe spell check would help you get your point across.
From what I get out of your last paragraph you are asking if people who died before Jesus sacrificed himself for our sins. Are they in hell? I would have to say no because they lived before Jesus' time on earth and were under a completely different law.
Now I could be wrong so I'm calling on my friends in comment land to help unitedwelive understand.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 12/11/10 - 08:59 am
United, I'm not exactly sure

United, I'm not exactly sure what you're saying. It's not all that clear. If you are asking what happened to the folks before Jesus, that's easy. (remember, I'm not saying anything on my own. I'm simply relaying what the Bible teaches. So, don't shoot me if you disagree. Blame God instead.)

My understanding (such as it is) is that the blood sacrifice of Christ on the cross works both forward and backward in time. The Old Testament believers in God were saved in Christ as well. If you look at their sacrifice system, these sacrifices did not remove sin -- they simply deferred the penalty for another year. That's why they had to make sacrifices time after time. It was not until Christ came as the ultimate sacrifice that could remove guilt and penalty once and for all (it's no coincidence that the Jewish temple and sacrificial system ended just a few years after Christ's death). So, God's people in the OT days were indeed saved, because they looked forward to the coming of the Messiah who would remove their sin-debt once and for all. And, that Messiah was Jesus. Us present-day folks look back to that same event -- Christ's death -- as our once-for-all-time sacrifice.

So, that's the message of Christmas: God came to earth to remove the sin-debt and guilt for all mankind for all time. No wonder we celebrate Christmas (and Easter). Jesus is the focal point and pivotal point of human history. No wonder we reckon time by his birth (B.C. vs. A.D.).

Merry Christmas to you as well.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 12/11/10 - 09:01 am
United, the only reason

United, the only reason anyone will be in hell is because they reject Jesus Christ. The only reason anyone will be in heaven is because they accept Jesus as Savior. It's not about doing good things or doing bad things in your life. That thinking is a dodge that gets us off track. It's all about Jesus. Focus on Him, and you'll be OK.

Jackson
Jackson 12/11/10 - 09:40 am
Thanks howcanweknow. I didn't

Thanks howcanweknow. I didn't know what to tell unitedwelive.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 12/11/10 - 11:16 am
Hey Jackson, I'm not sure I

Hey Jackson, I'm not sure I do either. I'm no expert. Just trying to ask good questions and seek some answers. Merry Christmas to you.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 12/11/10 - 11:51 am
propaganda

propaganda

faithson
faithson 12/11/10 - 11:56 am
Old Line Primitive Baptist

Old Line Primitive Baptist Church, enough said........

faithson
faithson 12/11/10 - 12:16 pm
It's the LIFE he lived we

It's the LIFE he lived we need to study... We should all look to how Jesus LIVED, according to the will of the Father in Heaven. therein lie the secrets to righteousness and a place in the world beyond. Any focus on Hell is a focus on FEAR, a poor motivator, Jesus lived a life of truth, beauty and goodness, therein lies our duty and loyalty as we 'live' according to the Will of Our spiritual 'Father'.

follower 12/11/10 - 12:18 pm
Jackson, that you say in your

Jackson, that you say in your 2:10am post "I believe in God" shows you are a man of logic and reason. Just as there can be no "building" without a builder, there can be no "creation" without a Creator.

You also state that you don't trust man enough to have accurately and precisely preserved scripture. But the evidence to the contrary is overwhelming.

Space doens't permit, but there are countless volumes of evidence that give credibility to the accuracy and efficacy of scripture. The Dead Sea scrolls alone, discovered in the late 40's, contain over 40,000 pieces of antiquity that align with the Old Testament Bible as we know it today. Add to that the continuing achaelogical discoveries that support scripture.

The choice to deny scripture point to a "will" to do so. Not necessarily that "I can't believe it", but that "I won't".

God Bless you greatly in your search.

Jackson
Jackson 12/11/10 - 12:30 pm
Yea follower you are right.

Yea follower you are right. Isn't it amazing the dead sea scrolls are so in line with the Bible. I bet there are a lot more scrolls out there just waiting to be found. If I had the money and the knowledge of the area where the caves and nooks and crannys were I'd love to spend a few years just exploring. Whether I found anything or not it would be a very spiritual quest.
Have a great Christmas my friend!

faithson
faithson 12/11/10 - 12:31 pm
PS. no hell, sorry. When

PS. no hell, sorry. When mercy has run its course, your soul will be adjudicated on high. should you be found in neglect of wanting to do the will of the Father in Paradise, it will be declared that 'it shall be as if you never had been' and all traces of your existence shall be removed from the rolls of eternity. Aniallation is the punishment of Paradise, not some fiery orb for some devil to antagonize you.

RedQuinoa
RedQuinoa 12/11/10 - 02:04 pm
The writers incorrectly cited

The writers incorrectly cited the Scripture quote where Jesus said He is "the Way, the Truth, and the Life"... It should read John 14:6 instead of Matthew 14:6.

All the same, Jesus lays it on the line with that very clear statement: Either you're for Him, or against Him. No fence-sitting with Jesus Christ. Merry Christmas, everyone.

proud2bamerican
proud2bamerican 12/11/10 - 02:19 pm

Thank you for taking time to share the truth!

Jackson
Jackson 12/11/10 - 02:30 pm
I know God has a sense of

I know God has a sense of humor so I don't think he'll hold this against me.
You know Jesus was a carpenter and one of the guys he worked for said "It's a good thing that savior thing worked out for him because he built me a shed that was just as crooked as it could be and it fell apart within a month.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 12/11/10 - 02:59 pm
faithson, thanks for your

faithson, thanks for your comments. I would disagree however because Jesus mentioned hell more than He did heaven. He spoke about a rich man going to hell and he said, "being in torment the man lifted his eyes to heaven and said send Father Abraham that he may place cool water on my tongue." Hell is a real place and not just a figure of one's imagination. Jesus said there is weeping and gnashing of teeth. What is really amazing is that Jesus did not speak of hell as though He enjoyed their pain but as with a heart of compassion to warn people how to avoid hell by believing in Him. If you are going to believe in God then you must believe in a real devil which was Lucifer cast out of heaven with a third of the angels trying to overthow God. Those angels became demons. There is good and there is evil. There is a heaven and yes there is a hell. Praise God the Father, Jesus the Son and the Holy Spirit for His great love and compassion that He sent Jesus into this world that those who believe on Him shall not perish but have everlasting life! Have a blessed day!

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 12/11/10 - 09:39 pm
I agree, Scoop. Faithson

I agree, Scoop. Faithson sounds like a Jehovah's Witness -- they deny the reality of hell, and teach annhilation (however you spell it) instead. Problem is, I find no scripture that leads me to believe that we all just cease to exist. As you say, Scoop, Jesus did indeed speak more about hell than heaven. If Faithson is correct, then Jesus is a liar. I don't think Faithson would want to make that claim.

mable8
mable8 12/11/10 - 04:22 pm
Really??? Some folks are

Really??? Some folks are going to be rather surprised come judgement day when they see those they claimed would be damned to hell because that person refused to believe as the writers of the LTE seem to think. Excuse me, but as long as the person believes in God, they are on the 'right' path---no particular denomination has a premium on God's gifts to man. Furthermore, God and His Son, Jesus, did not establish anybody's church--these relics are man-made.

unitedwelive
unitedwelive 12/11/10 - 06:07 pm
Mr. Howcanweknow If all it

Mr. Howcanweknow
If all it takes to be in heaven is to accept Jesus to be a savior, so what is the difference between good and bad person, is that just? No. What God you want me to believe in that is not just?

unitedwelive
unitedwelive 12/11/10 - 06:10 pm
Remember Jesus teaches, all

Remember Jesus teaches, all of it is how to be good and to do good deed, so how come you say it is not good deed or bad deed to be in heaven or hell, it makes no sense what are you saying.

Jackson
Jackson 12/11/10 - 06:22 pm
Jesus said now looky here

Jesus said now looky here ya'll. If you want to get to heaven then you have to go through me, Dig? I'll talk to pop on your behalf. He'll listen to me cause he knows I know the score. Ya'll just relax and do what I say and you have nothing to worry about. I'd write it down but I don't have a pen. I know of some dudes that will write it down and they spell better than me anyway. Read what they write cause it's the truth. Dig?

peace4784
peace4784 12/11/10 - 06:35 pm
The letter writers only know

The letter writers only know what they have been indoctrinated to believe. Furthermore, they are not being honest. They don't respect Jews, Muslims, Hindus, or any other religion. If they did they would not have written this intolerant, narrow-minded, and offensive letter. Other religions say the same thing about the Jesus followers. So, which religion is right? The right religion is the religion the biggest guns, the most wealth, power, and political influence. Until the other religions can arm themselves with the same resources, Jesus is the way. Might makes right and he who has the gold rules.

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen