Times call for increased need for prayer

Recently The Augusta Chronicle featured a front-page article about killings and societal change, even in smaller towns ("Recent killings hit home," Nov. 24). The people quoted in the article were calling for a return to discipline, morality and prayer in the schools as ways to address grave problems of violence and drug abuse among our youth. Thankfully, change can go both ways.

Prayer changes things -- or, more accurately, prayer offered to almighty God in the name of Jesus releases His power for matters on Earth. Ever since prayer was removed from the public schools in 1962, statistical measures of student and societal well-being have steadily declined, agreeing with the real-life observation of many, such as those cited in The Chronicle's article. However, for the past 25 years, an alternative means of providing prayer blessing for children and schools has arisen.

Moms In Touch International, an interdenominational prayer movement, affects children in schools worldwide for Christ by gathering mothers to pray, not in the schools, but for the schools. Women throughout the CSRA, in all 50 states and more than 120 nations are finding that their one-hour-a-week prayer investments do make a difference.

Mothers and grandmothers group together by schools, and see answers in everything from their child's performance to encouragement for teachers to thwarting of potential harm. Dads, teachers and churches are welcome to adapt this effective method of group intercession. The ministry website, momsintouch.org, has further information, including how to locate a group for your school.

There is hope.

(The writer is the United States' Southeast regional director for Moms in Touch International.)

soldout
soldout 11/30/10 - 11:55 pm
Excellent letter and good

Excellent letter and good reminder of the power of prayer. Nothing else comes close.

GGpap
GGpap 12/01/10 - 01:48 am
Please, estimate for us just

Please, estimate for us just how many men, women, children, groups and organizations, preachers and priests are praying for something just about every day (a full 24 hours); then give us a few examples of how the "power" of prayer has been proven, and can be relied upon to be more than just a result of fate or consequence.

And, soldout, you write that "Nothing else comes close..." I would suggest that LSD or Marijuana can easily produce the same, if not greater euphoria than prayer might do for the gullible

GGpap

mable8
mable8 12/01/10 - 05:14 am
Sorry, GGPAP, but there is

Sorry, GGPAP, but there is Power in Prayer---just ask those who were affected by it. Furthermore, how do you explain the unexplainable? Don't, please, use the old cliche 'coincidence,' because that doesn't explain anything. Maybe the writer has something of real substance in her letter; you cannot ignore the fact that she has provided an alternative to prayers in schools. It is time we quit catering to the smaller groups with illogical whims and start doing what we used to do.

All schools should plan a Pray-In where every school in the Nation ceases learning the three r's and begin Prayers for the day. That ought to send a strong message to those who are anti-everything. And it would more than likely work in re-establishing prayers in schools. As for your remark: "I would suggest that LSD or Marijuana can easily produce the same, if not greater euphoria than prayer might do for the gullible," how, exactly, do you know this to be true?

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/01/10 - 06:22 am
Oh GGpap, you are so wrong.

Oh GGpap, you are so wrong. Prayer is a mighty thing. When you pray for healing or some other situation and your prayer is answered and fate or consequences does not explain it, and you know that God is the reason your prayer was answered.....there is no greater high than to know God is with you. The high from LSD or marijuana last for only a time but the high from serving Almighty God last for eternity, it cost you nothing, and is good for your body and soul.

Jackson
Jackson 12/01/10 - 06:35 am
I went to a Catholic school

I went to a Catholic school where dicipline, morality and prayer were always present. Nothing like a nun with a ruler!
I'm glad I recieved the dicipline because it has helped me later in life although I still have a fear of nuns.
Just my opinion but prayer has helped me through my darkest times.

Jackson
Jackson 12/01/10 - 06:37 am
What are you doing up so

What are you doing up so early ICL? hehe

Sandpiper
Sandpiper 12/01/10 - 07:22 am
People with a positive

People with a positive anchor, like those who use prayer for what it is intended, don't seem to lead a life so adrift as those who are offended by prayer.
Every day is a good day for prayer.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/01/10 - 09:41 am
"Every day is a good day for

"Every day is a good day for prayer" Amen Sandpiper!

Early bird gets the worm don't ya know Jackson! :) My days start early and end most of the time late. Mornings are about the only time I can have my quiet time with the Lord when you have a spouse and children who are night owls.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/01/10 - 09:43 am
By the way Jackson...WHY are

By the way Jackson...WHY are you up so early? Did you make it back for Thanksgiving or are you in the dog house with the misses.

Jackson
Jackson 12/01/10 - 11:00 am
Oh I made it back. I would

Oh I made it back. I would have made it back if I had to crawl! My 25th Wedding aniversary was yesterday. Time for another 25!

Jane18
Jane18 12/01/10 - 11:54 am
I find mornings are my best

I find mornings are my best times to 'talk' with my FATHER also, ICL. That doesn't mean I don't have little prayer moments throughout the day, and at bedtime(I sleep better). GG, if you are an atheist, as you have said many times, why are you commenting on something you don't believe in?

dani
dani 12/01/10 - 01:35 pm
God is good. Never doubt it.

God is good. Never doubt it.

soldout
soldout 12/01/10 - 02:17 pm
My friend who works in an

My friend who works in an ambulance service says it is amazing that no atheists ever end up in a car wreck or in the back of his ambulance. They all seem to be talking to Jesus during those times. They should get a reduction in their insurance policy.

swinter05
swinter05 12/01/10 - 03:15 pm
Ignorance = •Unknowledgeable

Ignorance = •Unknowledgeable or uneducated; characterized by ignorance; Ill-mannered, crude

this post is in place of the one that was removed....and I still feel the same way....deleting my post doesn't change the facts or reality of the person's character I was speaking of.....

GGpap
GGpap 12/01/10 - 05:14 pm
mable8, in answer to your

mable8, in answer to your question in reference to my comment about LSD and Marijuana: I've tried them back in the day.

To others that ask, since I am an atheist, how I can comment on something I don’t know anything about: Back in the day (or soooo many days ago), I was a lay preacher in the church of god.

And soldout, I have survived 1 auto accident, 4 major surgeries, 2 major life-threatening cancer surgeries, and as a pilot I have survived 6 emergency (engine out, one with empty fuel tanks in the middle of a North Dakota blizzard) in a private plane; then there was another time when I was held at knife point by a punk that didn't realize I had a gun. None of these episodes brought me to my knees in prayer to a non-existent omnificent presence in the sky. Never!

GGpap

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/01/10 - 07:14 pm
GGpap, you were never a

GGpap, you were never a preacher of God's Word. You may have been acting like a preacher, but a true man of God would never deny our Lord and Savior. You can stray in disobedience but never deny Him. Evidently you never really knew Him to begin with.

After all these incidents (surgeries, accidents, etc) evidently God has been knocking on your head trying to get your attention. One of these days he'll either take you home if your are a true child of His because you are no longer of any use here on earth for His name, or he'll quit trying to win your soul and let the devil have you.

GGpap
GGpap 12/01/10 - 10:16 pm
ICL, as stated above, "Some

ICL, as stated above, "Some of us eventually refuse to remain among the gullible when we do open our eyes to the truth."

GGpap

soldout
soldout 12/01/10 - 10:23 pm
The most gullible are those

The most gullible are those who see a creation and believe there is no creator.

skeptic griggsy
skeptic griggsy 12/02/10 - 02:20 am

Thank you, my fellow skeptic, another of the reactionaries' worse nightmares [ See my profile!].
soldout, as Carneades, the first ignostic, noted eons ago Chrysippus begs the question with building and builder, you are begging the question of that creation! See Stephen Hawking and David Mlodinow's ' The Grand Design" to see how our present Universe came about. This book reveals what scientist have known but published in books that the average person cannot fathom or more easily read ones but hasn't read.

InChristLove, ah, the no true Scotsman eats porridge fallacy!
soldout ,not only do gays serve the military but atheists abound in fox holes! Oh, why wouldn't military religious people find atheism when their Sky Pappy or the Ground of Being lets wars abound, killing their comrades and civilians? Thinking people prefer to concentrate on staying alive and helping others stay alive!
Coincidence explains whilst the religious answer is post hoc. " Logic is the bane of theists." Fr. Griggs
When prayers don't achieve the answer yes, the answer no, maybe later and such are such rationalizations. Liberal religionists realize the contradictions of the fables internally and externally, the false history and the immoral commandments but insist on finding salvation just delude themselves! Not only do the fables not explain the heavens, Heaven is such a made-up notion that finds no non- fables support , and the way to get there so senseless.
" Reason saves, not that ever dead Galilean!" Fr. Giggs
' Life is its own validation and reward and ultimate meaning.' Inquiring Lynn
Neither a future state nor God could validate our lives.

Faith doth that to people!
Reason moves mountains of ignorance whilst faith rests on the argument from ignorance!

Jackson
Jackson 12/02/10 - 05:32 am
Skeptic I agree that Hawking

Skeptic I agree that Hawking and Mlodinow's book is not an easy read but you must admit that prayer has helped a lot of people whether it works or not. The power of prayer rests in trying to allign your will to God's.
Praying for yourself (at least in my instance) works about 50% of the time while praying to do God's will is 100%. I'm no religious freak by any stretch of the imagination but I do believe in God.
Why you ask.
I say either there is a God or there is not. One look in the heavens sold me. It would be a very lonely existance without the hope and faith in a loving creator who not only has a sense of humor but keeps the mystery of life after death just that.
I'm not one to say you're wrong. I'm also not one to say I'm right.
The laws of the universe are so precise that if it was all an accident it was one hell of a perfect one.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/02/10 - 06:18 am
skeptic, that old devil sure

skeptic, that old devil sure has heavy blinders on your heart.

Men deny the existence of God not because they cannot find Him but because they are afraid to face the responsibility of being accountable to Him after death. Atheism is one of the devil's tools and he knows how to use it effectively.

To look up and see a plane and not see the pilot and say that the plane is pilotless is as ridiculous as looking into the heavens and saying that there is no God simply because we cannot see Him. The man who accepts Scripture will readily acknowledge the existence of God.

There in lies the problem, some don't accept biblical scripture. They do not have a relationship with Christ, don't talk with him daily, don't have him answer prayers, don't witness things that can not be explained any other way but through God....Psa. 14:1, "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."

Just because they say there is no God, doesn't mean it's true. I have talked with God and He has spoken to me, I have felt Him in my heart and I have seen unexplainable things that has happened in answer to pray, I have seen peoples lives change 180 degree, I have seen people healed where modern medicine can not explain.....so don't tell me there is no God. I know He exist!

ozarkalien
ozarkalien 12/02/10 - 08:41 am
GGpap; I agreed with you but

GGpap; I agreed with you but let these people have their god. To say that prayer being taken out of school and that all of our problems will be solved if we just prayed is just plain ignorant . I think prayer does about as much good as wishing upon a star or rubbing Buddhas belly. As long as they keep it out of politics and schools, I say let them be.
It does scare me when a president says he has voices in his head which is god's voice and there are people that think bringing on world war III will be a good thing because that will bring Christ. It doesn't take much of a look at history to see just how many weird things and terrible things where done in the name of religion. There are so so many crazy religious people it seems that the crazy are drawn to religion but on the other hand I know a lot of wonderful people that believe.
If it makes them feel better then more power to them.

ozarkalien
ozarkalien 12/02/10 - 09:06 am
I think you guy's need to

I think you guy's need to pray for the Winder youth minister.

ozarkalien
ozarkalien 12/02/10 - 09:15 am
Jackson : you make a good

Jackson : you make a good point. I don't believe that the creator of this universe walked on our planet but to look into the heavens at night and just at all the things in nature, it is just impossible not to believe in a creator. Things are too perfect and beautiful for an accident but I still can accept prayer and the notion of the earth 6,000 yrs old and all the other crazy stuff.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/02/10 - 09:37 am
grouse, your post proves that

grouse, your post proves that you either need to do some more studying or quit trying to make a point using scripture. "Jesus admonishes his followers to pray in private". Another example of taking scripture out of context to prove your point.

In Matthew 6: 5-6, Jesus speaks on prayer. "Whenever you pray, do not be like the hyprocrites, because they love to pray while standing in synagogues and on street corners so that people can see them. Truly I say to you, they have their reward. But whenever you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you."

Jesus is talking to the disciples about hyprocrisy and about their prayer life. He speaks about a relational type prayer between a child and his Father not a "showcase prayer" where the person praying is actually drawing attention to themselves and not towards God. In the scripture, Jesus is drawing a distinct line between the two types and teaching his disciples about keeping prayer in perspective. There are places and ways to pray that are between God and the individual but he isn't saying we must become like hermits or monks to have a prayer life. He is teaching about the difference and the outward appearance of prayer, is it showboating or is it relational. You can have a relational prayer and be in a public place. If you say grace over your meal, does this mean you have to go find a closet or bathroom or private room to say your prayer and then come back to your table to eat your food....no.

So much complaining about whether we should pray in private or pray in public, when most aren't praying at all. We should be more concerned about lack of prayer than where pray is taking place.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/02/10 - 09:40 am
ozarkalien, if you believe in

ozarkalien, if you believe in a creator but you don't believe he walked on this earth.....why do we exist then? What purpose would he have to create us if not to have a relationship with us? In order for the creator and us to have a relationship he would have to come down to our level of existence, would he not?

GGpap
GGpap 12/02/10 - 12:24 pm
ICL, it is a rare occasion

ICL, it is a rare occasion when one can be absolutely correct and incorrect at the same time, you have proven that to be so in your supposition concerning my experience in the church years ago; you write, "Evidently you never really knew Him to begin with."

Since I do not believe in "your" god it should be obvious that I never really "knew" him.

On the other hand, back in the day I was erroneously impressed with a mere figment of imagination, which I would propose you are as well today; so, by being impressed with a figment of imagination I actually did know the same god you knew then and still know now.

As stated earlier, sometimes folks wake to the truth only to discover that they have been gullible victims for a certain period of time during their life.

GGpap

Jane18
Jane18 12/02/10 - 01:00 pm
Oh GG, I am truly sorry that,

Oh GG, I am truly sorry that, for whatever reason, you turned away from GOD. I know you have your reasons, so I won't argue with you about that. So, did you ever believe in GOD? Were you a hypocrite, pretending, just stringing people along? So now, are you an infidel and/or a heathen? As I said, I am sorry for you.................

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/02/10 - 01:15 pm
GGpap, your statement

GGpap, your statement "sometimes folks wake to the truth only to discover that they have been gullible victims for a certain period of time during their life"....my question is which one of us is going to be the gullible victim....Myself who believes in an Almighty God, or you who doesn't??? I know I'm not the victim because my Christ has saved me, are you willing to gamble on an eternity in Hell?

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/02/10 - 01:23 pm
grouse "You typed out this

grouse "You typed out this sentence, so how could you not understand the words"

Did you not even read the explantion. I know taking one verse out of context is old habit for you, but using it to make your point isn't the truth. If you don't even know how to read the Holy Scriptures to understand the Word, then you aren't interested in the truth and this discussion is useless.

Lincoln County deputies injured breaking up fight

Two Lincoln County deputies were treated at an Augusta Hospital after being injured breaking up a fight at a party at an American Legion building in Lincolnton.