Republicans are just holiday Grinches

Republicans are not being honest. They do not really want to cut government spending. What they want is to stop using taxpayers' money to uplift the American taxpayer.

Republicans faithfully support sending billions of American tax dollars to improve Israel's quality of life. However, now that millions of American taxpayers are unemployed, the ugly Republicans refuse to authorize continuing unemployment benefits. To add insult to injury, the holiday season is upon us.

Sadly, Republicans feel no shame in "scrooging" unemployed Americans. They feel at home in their role as the merciless Grinch who is stealing unemployed Americans' Christmas. You're a mean one, Mr. Republican Grinch.

followthemoney 11/30/10 - 10:40 pm
Mr.Palmer, what in the hell

Mr.Palmer, what in the hell do you think should happen. Do you think an unemployed person thinks that their benefits should ever stop. NO. You have to be a bleeding heart liberal who thinks with their heart instead if the brain. Especially when tough decisions have to be made. Wise up and understand that unemployment benefits cannot go on indefinitely. At some point you have to get off your duff and work a job you may not want too. I guess that's to much to ask!! Your previous LTE's say enough about what you are........

Wednesday, May 5, 2010
Letter: Conservatives fundamentally dishonest
Minus the patriotic rhetoric, conservatism is just another example of the pot calling the kettle black.
By Kevin Palmer

Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Limbaugh fans are too blinded by hate
Rush Limbaugh, and those who agree with him, are plain stupid. They do not have the sense to realize we are all on the same ship called the United States. Kevin Palmer, Martinez
By Kevin Palmer

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/30/10 - 10:39 pm
"What they want is to stop

"What they want is to stop using taxpayers' money to uplift the American taxpayer."

Does the writer know how ludicrous that statement is?

Tell you what writer. What this Republican wants is for the government to leave my money alone and I will take care of uplifting myself and my family. I suggest the Democrats try uplifting themselves without stealing more taxPAYERS money.

This country is NOT a commune. If I make a little money, you are not entitled to spend any of it.

dani
dani 11/30/10 - 11:27 pm
Two years of unemployment

Two years of unemployment checks that average $315.00 a week. How much longer? How many more weeks can the still working folks afford to keep them up? So many tired workers....so little left of their own money for them to live on.
As the saying goes, what goes around comes around and folks - beware. Pay back is never nice.

BobG
BobG 12/01/10 - 12:29 am
Took a real genius to compose

Took a real genius to compose that letter..

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 12/01/10 - 01:30 am
This letter has to be a joke.

This letter has to be a joke. Nobody with an IQ over 80 can think this way. The third sentence alone is enough to tell you they aren't serious.
But then based on things I've seen and heard of Democrats he may just be for real. How sad is that for America?

GGpap
GGpap 12/01/10 - 02:13 am
Over the holiday I happened

Over the holiday I happened to be the guest of a "solid, dyed in the wool" republican family (and Obama haters).

The head of the house was employed (can't say gainfully), and the mother, both children, and 3 grandchildren (3 separate households) were all on "entitlements;" SSI, Medicaid, food stamps, and other "help" from the taxpayers. Still, they could recite FOX, Beck, O'Reilly, and Hannity verbatim.

I know of a few other similar "republican" families as well and none of them, like the one I visited, were justifiably in need of entitlements.

Truthfully, I just cannot understand how folks can be so determined to be republicans yet choose to live like the folks they seem to look down on and prefer to refer to as flaming liberals and dumocrats.

What is the republican rational here?

GGpap

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 12/01/10 - 03:18 am
I also know on that owns 2

I also know on that owns 2 houses, lives a pretty dern good life traveling and partying who pays absolutely 0 in taxes. None. He spouts RRW rhetoric also. Love it.

Ole School
Ole School 12/01/10 - 04:06 am
i earned one week of

i earned one week of unemployment and that was back in the 80`s , I got me a JOB and went back to work ! it was degrading having to stand in line for that one ! I just can`t see how people can face tax payers and keep EXPECTING free money !

Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter 12/01/10 - 04:33 am
Just how long do you expect

Just how long do you expect the government to pay people to NOT work? When I left the service I got a job delivering pizza because I didn't like doing the crap that was necessary to maintain unemployment. Maybe that's part of the problem....it's too easy to get unemployment now-a-days.

mable8
mable8 12/01/10 - 04:56 am
With all due respect, Mr

With all due respect, Mr Palmer, the government should have NEVER extended the unemployment benefits in the first place. Yes, times are extremely tough for most people. If you want to know what hurt the American worker, it was allowing corporations to out-source American jobs to India, Mexico, and other parts of the world because big business did not wish to pay a livable salary to the American worker. Rather than extend unemployment benefits, the government should have levied heavy fines to all corporations/businesses that out-sourced our jobs and/or hired illegal aliens who took the positions away from the American worker. Don't give me the bunk that Americans won't do the job the aliens are hired to do; some of those farmers who claim they haven't had an American worker apply for the field work are full of themselves. The fact is, they refuse to hire anyone other than the alien worker because they know they can pay a far cheaper wage to those people. Believe me, I know. Another source you can blame is the union; those organizations have driven our economy into the ground as well. Unions are a useless appendage in the American free market system and should be abolished in their entirety--why anyone would pay those blood-sucking agents of crime is mind-boggling! The only represent themselves and the increase in your union dues is because the CEO wants a fatter wallet and nothing more. They are heady with power and enjoy the idea that they can boss everyone around. Guess what union ceo's--you are not welcome; you have outlived your usefulness, and you are helping to destroy our country.

If you happen to be among the unemployed, I feel sorry for your situation, but you are not entitled to unlimited unemployment benefits--keep looking and eventually, you will find one even if it paid less than what you earned before. At least its work.

KSL
KSL 12/01/10 - 05:06 am
Pap, sounds like you should

Pap, sounds like you should have invited them to your house instead.

I'm confused by your comment. You are not implying that supporters of the Republican agenda are made up of generations of personal entitlement recipients, are you?

KSL
KSL 12/01/10 - 05:19 am
Admittedly I don't personally

Admittedly I don't personally have a great deal of experience with knowing someone who is unemployed and receiving benefits. All I have ever known were entitled to short term, (very), benefits and who were able, in all cases, to find employment making perhaps less than they were before, but more than the unemployment benefit or, guess what, start up their own business. Admittedly, my experience is in the Augusta area, not Detroit.

carcraft
carcraft 12/01/10 - 05:15 am
GGpap- I'm a conservative and

GGpap- I'm a conservative and get tired of the hand out mentality. I listen , on occasion to Boortz, Limbaugh, and Fox news ( along with NPR once in a while) and I don't think I could recite them verbatim. You have way to much time on your hands if you listen to O'Reilly, Hannity, Limbaugh etc. to the point that you know, verbatim, what each one is saying at the moment!

carcraft
carcraft 12/01/10 - 05:18 am
People seem to forget that

People seem to forget that PELOSI and the DEMOCRATES passed a resolution saying all items HAD to be paid for! This wasn't Republicans, it was DEMOCRATES, so when the Republicans ask the DEMOCRATES to live by the rules THEY put in place we are evil?

Billyds999
Billyds999 12/01/10 - 05:28 am
Why is there even a story

Why is there even a story about the guys who are not in charge. Don't we have a democratic senate, house, and president?

If it was such a good idea to the majority in power now, they would've passed it already like they passed the health care bill. Republicans have not been in power for the last two years...

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/01/10 - 06:11 am
mable8 - It wasn't that the

mable8 - It wasn't that the corporations didn't want to pay American workers a livable wage. It's that they didn't want to pay a livable wage AND the second highest business taxes in the world.

Do you know how much more money the government would have had in taxes if they hadn't kept raising them? The idea that you can get more money from raising taxes is rediculous. If those companies or individuals have the ability to leave and pay less elsewhere then you end up having less people paying taxes and therefore less revenue. And it just moves down the chain - less companies employing Americans means less Americans paying income taxes.

I say repeal the heafty business taxes and welcome the companies back to America so we can get Americans WORKING instead of SPONGING!

Sandpiper
Sandpiper 12/01/10 - 07:13 am
I think all of the comments

I think all of the comments this letter was supposed to inspire have been made.
I also think the two "testimonials", while typical, lack validity if the sources are taken into consideration.

I C U 2
I C U 2 12/01/10 - 07:50 am
As a republican leaning

As a republican leaning independant voter I appreciate Kevin Palmers letter being published. As it shows the true spirit of secular progressive liberal collectivism which is Give it to me because I want it not because I deserve it. Such people have always found it easy to spend other peoples money. It's quite telling that Kevin Palmers says holiday instead of Christmas. I wouldn't even give him a lump of coal.

usafvet
usafvet 12/01/10 - 08:05 am
This liberal letter writer is

This liberal letter writer is nothing more than an 'off shoot' of greenbaum. Always wanting that something for nothing. Another socialist supporting a socialist president, party, and agenda.
You are griping about unemployment benefits being cut out, indicating that you were employed. Why didn't you save some of your money. You are apparently another democrat that believes that you should spend 110% of you salary and then rely on the government to take care of you when you fail. That is what separates us Republicans from you democrats, we learn, we earn, we save, we invest, we live responsibly, and yes we THINK. Now we think that if you want something, go out there and earn it. Our money is not yours, leave it alone. The time has come for folks to take heed to an age old expression, "ROOT HOG, OR DIE".

Techfan
Techfan 12/01/10 - 08:37 am
Just keep looking for a job.

Just keep looking for a job. The economy has improved so that now there are only 4.6 workers instead of 6 for every available job in the US. You should be able to find one in a few years. So you loose your house, no big deal, you and your kids can live in the car (if you still have one). Food's way overrated. You and the kids could probably stand to loose a few pounds anyway. Don't mind the cold and rain, it builds character. If little Susie and Johnny survive the winter, they'll be tougher for it. Of course, with no address or means of communication, it may be hard for employers to find you. Don't worry, they'll search the homeless shelters and tent cities just to offer you that job (at minimum wage).

usafvet
usafvet 12/01/10 - 08:39 am
GGpap, I consider your post a

GGpap, I consider your post a testimonial for the lofty ideals of most REPUBLICANS. It seems that you were absolutely astonished to be in the midst of people who claimed to be REPUBLICAN, but acted and lived as democrats.

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/01/10 - 08:49 am
Actually all the Republicans

Actually all the Republicans have asked for is cuts in other areas to pay for the unemployment extension. is that so unreasonable? Why are the Democrats given a pass in this standoff? If anyone on here wanted to buy a new car, but didn't have the money, they would reduce spending somewhere else to allow for the purchase. Why is that concept so foreign to liberals?

southernguy08
southernguy08 12/01/10 - 08:51 am
KEVIN, newsflash, Democrats

KEVIN, newsflash, Democrats have been in charge of BOTH houses of congress since 2007, and in charge of the White House for almost 2 years now. Time for your meds. And GGAP, I couldn't help but notice that you said YOU were the GUEST of these Republicans you condemn so strongly. Yeah, it speaks volumes of YOUR rational!

dani
dani 12/01/10 - 09:02 am
A short time ago I had my

A short time ago I had my house re-roofed. The trucks came loaded with workers who could speak limited English.

Last week my neighbor had new siding installed, and what a difference. These folks, at least, have not surrendered their jobs.

libertarianvoter
libertarianvoter 12/01/10 - 09:31 am
"What they want is to stop

ahahahahahahaha WOW

This has to be a joke letter.

Techfan
Techfan 12/01/10 - 09:35 am
southern: The Dems never had

southern: The Dems never had 60 seats on the Senate (2 Ind-and Lieberman is not exactly liberal, Franken wasn't sworn in until 7/7/09, Kennedy died in August). Since 2007, there have been record numbers of filibusters by Republicans, and that doesn't even count threatened filibusters.

Sandpiper
Sandpiper 12/01/10 - 09:51 am
Techfan, who do the 2 Inds

Techfan, who do the 2 Inds and Lieberman caucus with?

billcass
billcass 12/01/10 - 09:56 am
I would just like to ask: How

I would just like to ask: How do you plan on paying for these benefits? If you can't find a job in two years, you are either too picky or not trying very hard. What is stopping you from working for McD's or Domino's while looking for a job? Nothing, except it is easier to simply take my money.
If you were to walk up to my wife and snatch her purse to feed your family, that would be theft. But if you take my money, against my will, out of my paycheck, that is charity. What a warped way of thinking.

Crabby Appleton
Crabby Appleton 12/01/10 - 09:58 am
Unemployment benefits for

Unemployment benefits for almost TWO years? Even with the economy being where it is, thats out of line. Unemployment is slowly being morphed into another perpetual handout. There are people out there, LOTS working under the table for cash and receiving benefits as well.

Unemployment was never designed to be used as it is now. While employers and wager earners have contributed a lot into this insurance fund, it was never intended to have benefits out strip what was paid into it. Benign enough, but look where we are now.

Sorry Mr. Palmer your sad sack postion on this issue doesn't register with me.

sconservative
sconservative 12/01/10 - 10:09 am
Don't the government schools

Don't the government schools teach survival of the fittest? If someone needs more than 2 years to find a job, then they qualify as "less fit." The problem with socialism is that eventually you (government) run out of other peoples' money! Before the government replaced churches, the "less fit" were taken care of - and much more efficiently!

Turkeys taste own medicine

I got up and out of my sickbed so I could write this column because it’s time for the annual Turkey of the Year awards, the highlight of the holiday season.