Points of view are trumping the facts

Because producers manipulate scenes to produce the greatest dramatic effect, I almost never watch "reality" shows. I have never watched Dancing With The Stars . As Will Rogers said, "Well, all I know is what I read in the papers." And what I have read is ugly.

Friends who have watched this season with Bristol Palin say she was indeed the least capable dancer of the season but, throughout the weeks of the show, the most improved. Regardless, the comments I have read about Miss Palin have been rude and ignoble. Whether they could dance or not, I cannot imagine Chelsea Clinton, Malia Obama or Sasha Obama being subjected to such meanness. I cannot even imagine the haters talking about Jenna Bush and Barbara Bush in such fashion.

An article in The Augusta Chronicle described Bristol Palin as finishing in "last place." Actually, she finished third out of 11 competitors who began the competition. And that reminded me of a story from another mean time. A track-and-field competition was held between the United States and Soviet Russia. The U.S. team finished first, Russia second. TASS, the official Soviet news agency, gave the only report the Russian people read: "Our glorious Soviet team finished second in a multinational competition. The decadent Americans finished next to last."

So much depends on your point of view. And points of view, rather than facts, have taken over so much of our society.

David Sisler

Augusta

I C U 2
I C U 2 11/30/10 - 12:17 am
Sarah Palin.........Bristol

Sarah Palin.........Bristol Palin.........Sarah Palin.........Bristol Palin...All you have to do is say the names to see the liberal progressives turn purple and get all nutified..... The Democrats LOST control of congress........Elections have consequences............... We won you lost............ You can sit in the back,but we'll drive..................... It's a fundamental transformation................ Democrats Lost Control..................... Lost Control...............Lost Control......Sarah Palin.

dougk
dougk 11/30/10 - 12:23 am
Sarah, Bristol or no other

Sarah, Bristol or no other Palin got elected earlier this month. If one of them does at the national level, I won't turn purple.....I just quietly close up shop and say it's time to move on to a civilized location. And, ICU2, I would not expect you to shed a tear.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 11/30/10 - 03:32 am
This is how you choose to

This is how you choose to dodge the very urgent questions of New START and the Bush tax cuts for another day? Really?

orgpsych
orgpsych 11/30/10 - 04:30 am
DougK @ 11:16 - That was

DougK @ 11:16 - That was uncalled for.

orgpsych
orgpsych 11/30/10 - 04:38 am
Mr. Sisler, It is said (and

Mr. Sisler,

It is said (and accurately so, I think) that history is written by the victors. Lately we've seen that history is often revised by later victors. I cannot help but be struck by how much like the old Soviet Union this country's political landscape has become. Each issue that can be spun to advantage is. We now have way more websites than we can count that provide this spin and are used as references for any opinion offered.

It is often easy to forget that these web sites are also just opinion and not incontrovertible fact. Certainly some facts are used to support the opinion expressed, but it is so easy to omit or dismiss any facts that do not support that opinion. In the end we are left with just so much noise and little substance. The impact of fact is lost in the furor of loudly expressed opinion (or desire).

Thus it is and so it has always been.

orgpsych
orgpsych 11/30/10 - 04:38 am
Now, about that START treaty

Now, about that START treaty ...

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/30/10 - 07:04 am
The Palins provide a valuable

The Palins provide a valuable service to the country. They cause liberals to stroke out to such a degree that the balance of power has swung to the Republicans.

southernguy08
southernguy08 11/30/10 - 07:33 am
David, what do you expect?

David, what do you expect? Liberals lost big in November, and they can't destroy Sarah Palin, so they go after her daughter. Yeah, I know it's ridiculous, but that's politics.

Techfan
Techfan 11/30/10 - 08:12 am
I'm not a fan of the Palins

I'm not a fan of the Palins but this LTE has it wrong. Yes there were a few who jumped on Bristol because of politics. Most of the critcism was from long time fans of the show who were ticked that one of the worst dancers was continuously voted through (lowest score 7 times). She was probably better than "The Hoff".

Rhetor
Rhetor 11/30/10 - 08:22 am
ICU2, DWTS is just a TV show.

ICU2, DWTS is just a TV show. Put it in perspective, please.

Rhetor
Rhetor 11/30/10 - 08:30 am
Again, please keep in mind

Again, please keep in mind that DWTS is just a TV show.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/30/10 - 08:58 am
White trash? Really? If I had

White trash? Really? If I had written that in the opposite about the Obamas my comment would have been pulled. Wouldn't it Sean?

Okay, one family has a mom who sells the governor's private jet to save taxpayer money, while prosecuting corrupt politicians of her own party, getting the citizens a much better deal from the oil companies, and striking a very nice balance between protecting the environment and developing energy resources. She has a daughter who goes on a TV show and hurts no one, and doesn't cost anybody a dime. The family has a history of working and being self-reliant before becoming involved in politics.

The other family takes government jets to France to eat ice cream and to Spain to vacation with a couple of hundred supporters, costing the American taxpayers tens of $millions. All while her husband oversees some of the imposition of the largest frauds ever forced on the American taxpayer at a cost of $trillions while he panders to corrupt unions, ACORN, the New Black Panthers and fails in every foreign policy effort in which he gets involved. The family has mostly been employed by, and educated by, programs funded by government grants.

Given a choice of the two, I'll take the white trash family dougk.

I C U 2
I C U 2 11/30/10 - 08:59 am
I had one of my postings

I had one of my postings removed because someone thought I was being too personal. Sorry about that. Is it acceptable to say that I wish ALL of the progressive liberal collectivists would leave america? And whats this about white supremacy ? Did someone not notice that america elected a racially mixed individual as president ? Does that not prove that white supremacy is a fallacy ?

Techfan
Techfan 11/30/10 - 09:32 am
Geez justus, does every

Geez justus, does every freakin' thing have to be about race?

Techfan
Techfan 11/30/10 - 10:00 am
" sells the governor's

" sells the governor's private jet to save taxpayer money", (Sold jet at a loss) , "getting the citizens a much better deal from the oil companies" (ie. a tax increase passed on to us in higher gas prices while the citizens of the biggest welfare state got a bigger check), " striking a very nice balance between protecting the environment and developing energy resources" (Now you're just trying to be funny, about the only thing she did pro environment was to limit 2 stroke engines).

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/30/10 - 10:43 am
"what many Americans can't

"what many Americans can't imagine is Chelsea Clinton, The Obama girls or for that matter the Bush twins subjecting themselves to such a scenario as to purposley put themselves in the public eye. Maybe it's because those young ladies have had better parental guidance."

This has nothing to do with who has better parental guidance (seems to me, haven't the Bush twins been in some trouble...or at least one of them?). No putting themselves in the public eye has to do with Chelsea, the Obama girls, and the Bush twins, all being daughters of an American President and rightful so staying out of the public's eye....Bristol is just a kid from the family of a former governor. I'm sure if Sarah Pailin had won the VP position, Bristol would have never been allowed to appear on DWTS. Compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

kmb413
kmb413 11/30/10 - 11:04 am
"It happens when a knowing

"It happens when a knowing unqualified individual is given preference and pay over another who is clearly more qualified."
I thought that was called affirmative action.

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 11/30/10 - 11:41 am
Never, in my lifetime, have I

Never, in my lifetime, have I seen someone that inspires such hatred and vitriol than Sarah Palin. Since she has obviously accomplished more than any of her detractors ever will, I chalk it up to jealousy, as I can't find a better explanation that justifies the unbelievable level of trash talk that just the mention of her name causes. Now, by association, her children are getting the same kind of rude, insulting and hateful comments from the same kind of people who usually spout this kind of bilge. Incredible and so very sad that so many are so judgemental and so critical of this family, with so little justification.

gustagirl
gustagirl 11/30/10 - 12:57 pm
Unlike her mother, Bristol

Unlike her mother, Bristol completed what she started out to do.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 11/30/10 - 01:12 pm
The whole Bristol Palin flap

The whole Bristol Palin flap on DWTS was ridiculous. I'm no Sarah Palin fan, but I do believe that the majority of the outrage was because this is her daughter. Anyone who claims it's about dancing ability is being less than honest.
I've been watching DWTS since it's second season, and have seen plenty of talented people voted off because their fan base was low. The show is entertaining, but it's NOT a dancing 'competition'. It's a popularity contest, plain and simple. If it were only about the dancing the public wouldn't get to vote.
You don't get a vote in the Olympics, do you? That's a competition.

southernguy08
southernguy08 11/30/10 - 01:36 pm
JUSTUS, regarding a knowing

JUSTUS, regarding a knowing unqualified individual given preference, does your post also include the current resident of the White House? Sorry, you stepped into that one.

Chillen
Chillen 11/30/10 - 02:10 pm
I can smell the stench of

I can smell the stench of liberal fear from thousands of miles away. Their relentless attacks on this innocent young woman are nothing but fear. Fear that their agenda and their plans are failing.

I watched the show. She was not the best but certainly not the worst. And, she was without question the most improved.

Are we as a nation close to civil war/divide again? I truly believe we are. When one group (along with the media) is so focused on their agenda that they relentlessly verbally attack a young woman & threaten to kill her & her professional dancing partner, then we are at a crossroads. I'm getting to the point that I would welcome this divide and even move for it if I have to.

dani
dani 11/30/10 - 03:07 pm
The prize for winning on DWTS

The prize for winning on DWTS is an award. No money, no big contracts, just an award ...and for that, all this fuss.

burninater
burninater 11/30/10 - 04:08 pm
I hear a new Public Enemy

I hear a new Public Enemy album in this LTE -- "It takes a Nation of Crybabies to Hold Us Back" ...

Chillen
Chillen 11/30/10 - 04:35 pm
burninator. But "It only

burninator. But "It only takes a Nation of Freeloaders & Socialists to Bring us Down."

burninater
burninater 11/30/10 - 04:42 pm
Ha! The old freeloaders and

Ha! The old freeloaders and socialists schtick! I'll see your freeloaders and socialists, and raise you the highest corporate profits on record -- with no correlative hiring!

You can blame freeloaders and socialists, or you can blame increased efficiency and innovation. Or, in clearer terms, you can blame the Boogeyman, or you can blame the inexorable grinding of the wheels of Capitalism.

We'll see which approach yields actual solutions.

Chillen
Chillen 11/30/10 - 04:46 pm
Ha! The old wealth envy

Ha! The old wealth envy rears it's hideous head once again. No surprise there.

I blame the freeloaders and the politicians & U.S. citizens who enable them. The socialists, well, they are just totally hopeless & dangerous.

Socialism has never worked. Never in history has it been successful. Fact.

burninater
burninater 11/30/10 - 04:58 pm
Where's the wealth envy in

Where's the wealth envy in that Chillen? We face protracted high unemployment. The conventional wisdom is that hiring is low because of lack of liquidity in the corporate sector. The profits indicate this is entirely untrue. As in completely wrong. As in boffo.

I said not a word about increasing corporate tax rates, or socialistic redistribution. I said, quite simply, that you are attacking a Boogeyman -- that the real culprit is a sea change in the way in which business is done, and that not recognizing that, in favor of simple propagandism, will yield no results.

But if the "wealth envy" life jacket keeps your spirits afloat, I'm not the one to take that away from you, kind sir.

Edit: And for the record, the little lady and me are doing quite fine living-standard-wise. I am not of the illusion that wealth is something that, for most people, comes easy. I have seen first-hand the types of trade-offs people make in order to procure wealth, and believe me, there is no envy in my heart for those that make those choices. Enough to live modestly, and a little extra to set aside -- any more than that and you're giving up the most precious parts of living.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 11/30/10 - 04:58 pm
The fact is ... when business

The fact is ... when business feels that the profit will outweigh the risk, they will invest again in order to make that profit.

Most businesses are still near the breakeven point and consider the current risk too high to invest in expansion.

Chillen
Chillen 11/30/10 - 05:00 pm
When company profits are

When company profits are attacked, that is wealth envy burninator. If they want to make 1000% profit, that is fine with me. This is the United States are we are FREE (for now) to do what we want as long as it is legal.

THAT is where the wealth envy comes in. You lefties simply cannot stand for anyone to make a sizeable profit.

It's their company, their risk and their dream. Leave them alone.

We have a lot of problems in the USA, someone making a good profit is not one of them.