What does Obama know about grace?

Religion is a sensitive subject that many people consider too personal for discussion, even though it pertains to that which sets man apart from all others of the animal kingdom, and speaks to the subject of immortality.

A Washington Times editorial Oct. 11 quotes President Obama as saying the United States "is still predominantly Christian, but has other faiths whose 'path to grace is one that we have to revere and respect as much as our own.' "

We agree freedom to worship is a legal guarantee of the Constitution, giving every man the right to choose whatever he wants to believe; however, when the subject of grace is broached by the president of the United States as common to "other faiths," it should be open to question.

There are many religions, but only one that leads to eternal life.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 11/27/10 - 11:30 pm
Farnsworth: "Salvation can be

Farnsworth: "Salvation can be found in other faiths." You just made a very vague statement with no facts to back it up. What faiths are you referring to? How do you define "salvation"? How do you relate "salvation" in other faiths in comparison to Christianity?

You can't just spout off baseless statements as truth without offering some degree of plausibility or support for your comments.

Farnsworth
Farnsworth 11/27/10 - 11:33 pm
Salvation is a vague term

Salvation is a vague term anyways. Salvation is whatever you want it to be. Whether it be in Jesus Christ, Buddha, Vishnu, Allah, etc....

Farnsworth
Farnsworth 11/27/10 - 11:43 pm
Okay what in my original

Okay what in my original comment was SO BAD that it needed to be deleted? I hate the censorship here.

You Christians don't have the monopoly on salvation. There are hundreds upon hundreds of other religions out there and they each have their own forms of salvation. And personally so long as the president keeps his religious views away from deciding on policies that effect my country as a whole I don't care what he believes in and neither should you!

Farnsworth
Farnsworth 11/27/10 - 11:44 pm
You Christians are some

You Christians are some arrogant people to think your religion is the only one that counts. Wow.

Farnsworth
Farnsworth 11/28/10 - 12:44 am
Google Quran Salvation.

Google Quran Salvation. Google Hindu Salvation. The internet provides wondrous access to information. Therefore - If I'm being vague you're being willfully ignorant, or your sphere of existence is really so homogeneous and isolated you've not been exposed to the rest of the world to any serious degree.

And don't be alarmed, the word "homogenous" isn't a reference to an alternative lifestyle or anything ;-)

msitua
msitua 11/28/10 - 12:47 am
Religion was created so early

Religion was created so early humans could understand the world around them and be able to deal with its many mysteries. The belief in salvation is just that-a belief in salvation. There is absolutely no proof that salvation exists and that anyone will have eternal life. But if it makes you feel better(which is the purpose of religion)then so be it. Jesus was originally Jewish

Rhetor
Rhetor 11/28/10 - 08:41 am
The President spoke up for

The President spoke up for his own religion, Christianity, while expressing tolerance of other religions. How can that possibly be objectionable?

Fundamental_Arminian
1988
Fundamental_Arminian 11/28/10 - 08:51 am
Excellent letter! As the

Excellent letter! As the writer said, "While grace is a word of many meanings and applications, when pertaining to salvation, it is reserved to the Christian faith alone. Salvation was purchased by Jesus Christ dying on a cross for the sins of man, and that death being imputed to man by grace through faith -- there is no other way." Clearly, the salvation spoken of spares believers from the penalty of their sins. This is what an angel prophecied to Joseph: "[Mary] will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins" (Matthew 1:21 English Standard Version).

President Obama is wrong to say that non-Christian faiths offer paths to grace and that we must respect and revere those paths. Jesus clearly said, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me" (John 14:6 ESV). The psalmist wrote: "Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore, I hate every false way" (Psalm 119:104 ESV [see also verse 128]).

The religion our president promotes isn't Christianity, but religious liberalism--the belief that one religion is as good as another. Religious liberals can't understand tolerance, because they can't tolerate what they neither accept nor are apathetic about. Only someone with strong, well-formulated convictions knows what it is to tolerate or put up with false religion.

Christians should respect people's right to travel a false path such as the broad way leading to destruction. But they should hate--not respect or revere--every false way. Christians should also prepare for the day when letters such as A.G. Blackmon's are outlawed as hate speech.

JesusIsComing
JesusIsComing 11/28/10 - 08:53 am
Thank you, Mr. Blackmon,

Thank you, Mr. Blackmon, grace is indeed reserved for the Christian faith. All other faiths require some effort on our part. In Christianity Jesus Christ did the ONLY work that could have been done to save us and the only work that needed to be done to save us. Ephesians 2:8-9 says, "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast." Grace is "unmerited favor". Try fitting that into other "faiths". It cannot be done. Others may complain of the exclusivity of Christianity ("Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other Name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." Acts 4:12) but the free gift of salvation is available to all, for, "All who call upon the name of the Lord (Jesus Christ) will be saved"(Romans 10:13). John 14:6 says, "Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."" We can fight it, complain about it, challenge it, disbelieve it, ridicule it, curse it, but the grace of salvation is still offered only through Christ. This is a great time to call on His Name!

Fundamental_Arminian
1988
Fundamental_Arminian 11/28/10 - 09:03 am
"Oh, but my comment on Rev.

"Oh, but my comment on Rev. Lubinsky's letter on Thanksgiving was censored without comment from The Chronicle...nothing in the comment was against the rules....so Fundamental, you're wrong, it's the liberal atheist who's being 'outlawed'" (Grouse).

I can't judge what you wrote, because I've not seen it. We shouldn't confuse a private publisher's policies with hate crime laws. The refusal to publish something is small compared to a lawsuit that forces a speaker or writer to pay legal fees and face imprisonment. Hate crime laws are already being enforced in Canada and in several supposedly democratic European nations. Whoever would say what President Obama has said would probably champion hate crime laws here.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/28/10 - 09:24 am
msitua posted: "The belief in

msitua posted: "The belief in salvation is just that-a belief in salvation. There is absolutely no proof that salvation exists and that anyone will have eternal life."

salvation isn't something Christians believe in, it is a gift from our heavenly Father. Salvation exist whether we believe it does or not, the point is whether you except the free gift of salvation or not.

msitua, do you have proof that salvation or eternal life doesn't exist? If not, then how can you say they don't exist.

soldout
soldout 11/28/10 - 09:45 am
good letter, good comments

good letter, good comments fundamental. All other religions require a work to please God. The Bible says the only work is to believe upon Jesus Christ. God says to test me , try me, prove me. If you don't believe; then ask God to show you He is real. God says He will confirm His Word with signs and wonders. God isn't upset by anyone's questions. He is knocking at the door of the non-believers heart and ready to come in but He won't push the door down. It takes a strong faith to believe everything you see came from nothing so everyone has faith.

Jane18
Jane18 11/28/10 - 09:51 am
Everytime I read negative

Everytime I read negative comments concerning Christianity, JESUS and GOD, all I feel for these people is sympathy. They do not know what they are doing to themselves , they do not care how they talk about people that DO believe, really they are to be pitied, and most of the time , I do pity them. Other times I have to remember that there were those that didn't believe in Jesus when HE walked on this earth, so, why should some of their descendants believe now? And grouse(6:38am), there is nothing imaginary about my LORD and FATHER, I know HIM!! Guess what? One day you will find out HE IS, and you will know that some of us were really correct about everything we tried to tell you and others.

RoadKing09
RoadKing09 11/28/10 - 10:56 am
Correct!!!

Correct!!!

ozarkalien
ozarkalien 11/28/10 - 11:15 am
rector if it is obama it has

rector if it is obama it has to bad. well that's what some of these people think.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/28/10 - 11:27 am
I get amused at those that

I get amused at those that say that THEIR religion is the only one. Unless you know someone who has died and come back to tell you how do you know.

usafvet
usafvet 11/28/10 - 11:31 am
The faith or lack of it that

The faith or lack of it that dumbobama has does not concern me one bit. That is his choice and his alone. What does bother me is that he is such a liar that you do not know what he is, who he is, where he came from, or anything else coming from his mouth. The only thing one can believe about him is his actions. And he is a narcissistic, socialist, misguided individual that has no business ruining this Great Country. GOD BLESS AMERICA, OUR TROOPS, AND OUR VETERANS.

WW1949
WW1949 11/28/10 - 11:34 am
I have no tolerance for Islam

I have no tolerance for Islam anywhere anytime. If I had my way they or anyone from that part of the world would never be given a pass to enter this country. And the ones that are here would not get any "Special Treatment" because of their religion. I don't dislike the people, I dislike their ideas that they are the only one's that matter.

WW1949
WW1949 11/28/10 - 11:36 am
Amen, usavet. I will second,

Amen, usavet. I will second, third and fourth your comment.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/28/10 - 11:41 am
That is the way to go

That is the way to go usafvet, give it the old non-PC in the face. Right on.

dougk
dougk 11/28/10 - 11:44 am
Whoever concluded that humans

Whoever concluded that humans are intelligent beings didn't collect enough data.

Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter 11/28/10 - 01:48 pm
Scooby.....Christians DO know

Scooby.....Christians DO know someone who died and came back to tell us!

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/28/10 - 01:59 pm
When is the last time you

When is the last time you talked to him, Mad Hatter?

Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter 11/28/10 - 01:59 pm
Today. I'm sorry if you don't

Today. I'm sorry if you don't get it. You could if you try.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 11/28/10 - 02:00 pm
I got it. Don't act so

I got it. Don't act so superior

Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter 11/28/10 - 02:01 pm
I'm just trying to help. Not

I'm just trying to help. Not attempt to act superior. I'm just saying that he's open to anyone who wants him. I truly am sorry if you don't join. I'm sorry if I came across differently.

Rhetor
Rhetor 11/28/10 - 02:52 pm
Obviously, a religious person

Obviously, a religious person believes that his/her religion is true. Otherwise, why say that you believe it? That's fine. Many of the above posts reflect divergent but reasonable opinions. A few of them strike me as hateful. I cannot imagine how a Christian could be full of hate. The headline question was "What does Obama know about grace?" If you are full of hate, what could you yourself possibly know about grace? Christianity is about how we can make ourselves better. It is about the theme that we are indeed our brother's keeper. It is about loving your enemies--not just tolerating them, but loving them. It is not about hate. "God is light, and in him is no darkness at all."

Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter 11/28/10 - 02:48 pm
Rhetor....you can't imagine

Rhetor....you can't imagine how a Christian can be so full of hate? Do you have no problem imagining how a Muslim who feels that you must convert or kill everyone else is so full of hate?

Rhetor
Rhetor 11/28/10 - 02:55 pm
The great majority of us

The great majority of us Christians are good, decent people. The handful of judgmental, angry bigots who call themselves Christians does not change that wonderful fact. Most Muslims are good, decent people as well, and that there is the minority of Muslims who are evil does not change that fact, either. Let us remember to love our enemies. Let us also remember that as Dear Abby said years ago a church is not a museum for saints, but a hospital for sinners.

faithson
faithson 11/28/10 - 02:59 pm
know them by their

know them by their 'fruits'... the only true statement our Lord gave us to know who among us lives in the grace.

Prayer rally held outside Planned Parenthood

With the U.S. Senate scheduled to vote Monday on a bill to strip Planned Parenthood of taxpayer funding, more than 100 residents gathered Sunday for a prayer rally in front of the organization's ...