Disease is a thief and a destroyer

I'm a thief of mind and spirit. I capture your mind by breaking down memories. I am a thief, who detaches you from the familiar, leaving you lifeless. I am a plagiarizer who destroys your identity -- preventing you from discerning your comb from your car keys. I make you question if you ate breakfast and nullify your judgment.

There are no survivors to walk for my disease, no survivors pleading to Congress to fund research. I attack more than 1,200 people daily. My caregivers are six times more likely to develop it themselves. The government funds my disease at 1 percent that of AIDS, yet I kill five times as many people. Sandra Day O'Connor said it best in The New York Times:

"Our government is ignoring what is likely to become the single greatest threat to the health of Americans: Alzheimer's disease, an illness that is 100 percent incurable, and 100 percent fatal. It attacks rich and poor, white collar and blue, and women and men, without regard to party. A degenerative disease, it steadily robs its victims of memory, judgment and dignity, leaves them unable to care for themselves and destroys their brain and their identity -- often depleting their caregivers and families emotionally and financially."

You can't disregard me. I will bankrupt health care if a cure is not found.

I am Alzheimer's disease.

November is National Alzheimer's Awareness Month. Reach out and make a difference -- volunteer, advocate, donate! Contact the Augusta Office at (706) 731-9060, or visit www.alz.org/georgia.

Dee Dee Kurilla

Augusta

(The writer is director of the Alzheimer's Association, Augusta Region.)

soldout
soldout 11/24/10 - 12:47 am
German research showed a

German research showed a stopping of additional loss of cognitive function using alpha lipoic acid and biotin. You can get details from Dr. David Williams at the Alternatives Newsletter. The Feb 2009 issue also has info on Nicotinamide that reversed it in mice. Might be worth checking out. Flu shots may also be a factor but haven't seen any updates on that lately.

justus4
justus4 11/24/10 - 07:59 am
Wow! This Alzheimer sounds

Wow! This Alzheimer sounds really bad, but is the article asking for big government to get involved with medical disabilities? Isn't the government too big? Wasn't the recent election about getting smaller government and reducing government interference? Why should taxpayers pay for congressional "research" that will not produce a cure, but the money will be steered into some powerful congressman's district? Isn't this a reality of life and citizens must learn to face it with dignity? What about the national debt? What about the debt that's being left to our grandchildren, as repeated & repeated & repeated during the recent election? Yes, Alzheimer's Disease sounds terrible, but it's gonna be up to the private sector to help because big government has its hands already full.

Taylor B
Taylor B 11/24/10 - 08:58 am
Justus, great post!

Justus, great post!

dashiel
dashiel 11/24/10 - 09:15 am
A powerful and eloquent

A powerful and eloquent letter. Thank You!

dougk
dougk 11/24/10 - 12:12 pm
Way to go, Justice.

Way to go, Justice.

ameliaf
ameliaf 11/24/10 - 03:06 pm
Very well said, Ms. Kurilla.

Very well said, Ms. Kurilla.

The government may stay out of the funding on a research for a cure, as seems to be the gist of the comments here, but we are all paying.

My mother lived with me for 12 years while Alzheimer's slowly took her mind. We finally had to put her in a personal care home when I could no longer keep up with 24 hour care and I was just about broke and had to go back to work.

The personal care home stay lasted for 4 years, as long as all the rest of her money, and just long enough that she was so debilitated to need full nursing home services - she could not stand or walk on her own, dress herself, bathe herself, toilet herself, and was barely able to guide a fork to her mouth. She went into Medicaid supported nursing home care for four years.

When God finally called her to Him, she had been in a fetal position so long her legs would no longer straighten, it had been years since she recognized a single person who knew and loved her, or spoke an entire sentence. she had no idea where she was. She had a family who loved her and was there three or four days each week to just be sure she was okay. We talked to her, held her hands, hugged her, put lotion on her skin, clipped her fingernails and toenails - something nursing home people don't do for some reason. We repeatedly took her to the hospital for pneumonia and a build-up of drugs in her system that made her almost comotose.

I have no idea what Medicaid paid in those years she was fully on government assistance, or what Medicare paid in those years before all her money was gone. I feel no guilt. I did what was necessary.

Every bit of research builds on the research done by someone else. We can start the research to finally end or effectively treat Alzheimer's, or just keep paying and paying to care for those who are affected forever. Or, stop government paying for all this care and just let the very old and ill die.

dani
dani 11/24/10 - 03:56 pm
To see the absence of any

To see the absence of any recognition, only a blank stare in the eyes of a person you love is almost unbearable. And this terrible illness goes on for years.
I have witnessed death due to lung cancer and death due to cirrhosis of the liver and both are painful beyond belief but nothing I have seen was so horrible as Alzheimer's.

treerock
treerock 11/24/10 - 06:36 pm
the medium chain

the medium chain triglycerides in organic extra virgin coconut oil will take care of this problem. metabolizing medium chain trigylcerides creates ketones which help protect against alzheimer's.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/24/10 - 06:53 pm
Using coconut oil produces

Using coconut oil produces the finest-tasting popcorn. Drizzling melted butter over the popped corn completes the greatest movie accompaniment known to man (or woman). Here's to corn popped in coconut oil — the greatest alzheimer's preventative going!

ameliaf
ameliaf 11/24/10 - 08:56 pm
Oh, my. Coconut oil and real

Oh, my. Coconut oil and real butter on popcorn. Yummmmm.

I haven't had that in a while because it is terrible for cholesterol. Mine is high and I am constantly fighting it. So, every once in a blue moon, I give myself the pleasure of real butter, eggs, pork sausage. But the next splurge will be movie popcorn.

Thanks for the reminder.

soldout
soldout 11/26/10 - 07:26 am
cholesterol concerns are a

cholesterol concerns are a medical fraud. Your level has zero to do with your health. More people have heart attacks with low cholesterol than high. It is just a money making system promoting drugs that serve zero purpose. Having it below 200 lowers mental function. Eat right but don't ever be concerned about that number. Your body decides what that number should be based on several factors. Breast milk is 75% cholesterol. If you do the research it will never concern you again.
Eating right means eating as natural as possible.

Disc golf tournament benefits Augusta charity

APPLING — When Paul Childs runs a disc golf tournament, he wants it to mean something for the rest of the community. Childs he found a cause worth supporting: the Ronald McDonald House Charities.