Heed advice from a recent air traveler

Planning to fly to a far-off destination with your wife and/or child? Prepare and clear your mind for impending searches and chaos at airports.

Pack only the most necessary items to be used at your destination, including gifts to be checked in your roller bag. A small carry-on bag should have two transparent plastic containers -- one with your clearly marked medicines, and one with toothpaste, shaving utensils, etc. -- identifiable without having to open.

At Atlanta's airport: Check your bags at curbside. If one of you is disabled, be sure you reserve a wheelchair at this point. Tell the attendant, as we did, your airline and destination. The attendant with my wife in the wheelchair started walking and weaving thought the crowds, with me following close behind. Don't lose contact, because they know how to get where you are going -- train and all. The attendant will weave you ahead to security.

Close your mind now. Put your belongings in a box -- your wallet, watch, pen, etc. -- with your shoes in another box. I prefer the body scanner to this insulting pat-down. Be sure to grab your belongings and get back with your wheelchair attendant -- a nice person who will be worth a fat tip by the time he or she gets you to the departure gate, because he or she has saved you frustration, aggravation and a ton of headaches. Also, a good idea is to identify your bag with little red or pink ribbons.

Flying out of Atlanta's airport was a bearable experience.

Returning from London's Gatwick Airport: This was much more frustrating and disorganized. Be sure to have reserved your disability assistance when confirming your return flight or standby. You don't even have to prove that you have a disability. But the center that distributes wheelchairs or electric golf cars was undependable, and then going through security was chaotic.

It was very annoying, with security personnel and other military around. You had to keep a sharp eye on your belongings coming through the body scanner and while putting your shoes back on. If you have any metallic objects in your body from surgery, make sure to take a certificate from your doctor with you.

Common sense such as profiling is not used by our governments.

The flight itself was fine, and Delta Airlines was friendly and gracious.

S.G. von Schweinitz

Appling

dani
dani 11/23/10 - 07:14 am
Whoa..Is it worth the

Whoa..Is it worth the trouble? (-:

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 11/23/10 - 01:33 am

omnomnom
omnomnom 11/23/10 - 03:27 am
shouldn't this have those

shouldn't this have those "staycation" tour local people dancing in the streets?

Runner46
Runner46 11/23/10 - 07:37 am
I stopped using air travel a

I stopped using air travel a few years ago when I was asked to remove my belt as a condition of passage. Now, the inspections are off the chart. It takes longer to travel using an automobile or non-air public transportation, but it is worth the dignity and peace of mind to avoid the public inspection of my person. When the feds start putting up interstate road blocks, I'll revert to using Skype to visit family and friends out of state.

dougk
dougk 11/23/10 - 08:27 am
Yes, I hate that taking the

Yes, I hate that taking the belt off-thing, too. WHAT an invasion of privacy!

justthefacts
21926
justthefacts 11/23/10 - 08:36 am
I don't find the belt, but

I don't find the belt, but the foundling of the manberries would be a tad irritating.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/23/10 - 08:39 am
One good note to this is...If

One good note to this is...If you have ANY metal left in you from surgery it will show up on scan....haha.....some do btw.

dougk
dougk 11/23/10 - 09:20 am
I find it hard to believe

I find it hard to believe that any woman who has delivered a child or any man who has had a routine prostate exam would be humilated by the total body scan. It's an uncomfortable idea the first time through...but after that, you will find that you will lift your arms higher and spread your legs further apart.....you want to see?....here you go.
As far as the pat-down, I've have endured more groin and breast contact with strangers in a busy subway (e.g., the trains in Atlanta airport).

southernguy08
southernguy08 11/23/10 - 09:13 am
I hear all the complaints

I hear all the complaints about the searches and patdowns, but if we didn't have them, and some terrorist gets a bomb on a plane and brings it down, the same whiners would be screaming that we weren't doing enough. WAKE UP AMERICANS...WE'RE IN A WAR WITH TERRORISTS!!

GoGators2010
GoGators2010 11/23/10 - 09:14 am
I think the ones complaining

I think the ones complaining about TSA scans/searches probably don't have mirrors in their bathrooms so they can avoid the reality of seeing themselves starkers.

justthefacts
21926
justthefacts 11/23/10 - 09:33 am
Tech, looks like an

Tech, looks like an improvement. I think people who fly regularly are the ones complaining. All they (I) are asking for is some common sense. Business folks who have a well documented travel schedule, pilots, FA, and small children do not need to be subjected to this nonsense. I mean, we know the profile of suspected terrorist, excuse me, man made disaster makers, strip search them already.

Chillen
Chillen 11/23/10 - 09:56 am
Better yet, just stop flying.

Better yet, just stop flying. Once the number of passengers is down by 50% they'll have to fire half the TSA agents, reducing the taxpayer burden (if their new obama promoted union will allow it). The airlines will be hurting so badly they will lobby the TSA to be reasonable.

Something to keep in mind. Obama pal & advisor, George Soros just dumped all of his body scanner stock. Does he have "insider information" that we don't know about?! Well, he was convicted of insider trading in France and a leopard doesn't change it's spots.

dashiel
dashiel 11/23/10 - 09:57 am
The golden sunset of air

The golden sunset of air travel was that brief period after 9/11 when cabins were so empty you could stretch out and sleep all the way to Germany. What a bunch of wimps we have become since then, whining and protesting as though inspectors actually enjoy patting porkers.

momster59
momster59 11/23/10 - 10:00 am
Chillen - In order to verify

Chillen - In order to verify your statement is true and not just merely conjecture on your part, please cite the source of your "information" pertaining to George Soros dumping his stocks.

justthefacts
21926
justthefacts 11/23/10 - 10:02 am
Chillen, to stop flying is

Chillen, to stop flying is not really an option for those who make a living doing so or are required by the job description to do so. Change is coming. Just have to wait it out.

Chillen
Chillen 11/23/10 - 10:37 am
momster. Here's is your

momster. Here's is your "proof" but you really could have done this research yourself using Google and honestly, how could you not have heard about this already? Educate yourself, please!

Fact. Soros dumped all 11,000 of his shares of OSI Systems.

Luckily for you and I, as of now the internet & airwaves are still free from govt regulation & intervention so we can do this type of reasearch, however obama & the FCC aim to change that next week with something hideous called "net neutrality". They will sidestep Congress AND the American people, again, to accomplish this.

Liberals think this is a good thing but when a Republican is in charge, they'll be screaming bloody murder.

momster59
momster59 11/23/10 - 10:52 am
Yes chillen, I am quite

Yes chillen, I am quite capable of doing my own research, which I did. However it was not my post. I do not post "facts" without evidence. I have little to no respect for the honesty or integrity of most career politicians or high level executives. I am neither a republican nor a democrat and hold no loyalty to either party.

However, as to why Soros dumped his stocks and as to whether his party held him accountable, he was being called on the carpet over his investments with the firm that manufactures them. Democrats were bringing this information to light. I can cite many sources, but this one in particular should do quite nicely.

The outcry began to get loud in early November, by November 17 he sold his stocks. Profiteering and hypocrisy are the by words of most politicians.

Chillen
Chillen 11/23/10 - 11:02 am
Glad to see the internet is

Glad to see the internet is still working for you momster. As of next week, it may be more difficult for you to do your research.

There's a reason that Google's CEO has been visiting the White House a lot, obama & his minions want to see if they can actually implement this "net neutrality".

So much for the First Amendment.

This group of progressives is very, very dangerous for America. I wonder when our liberal friends are going to wake up and figure it out?

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 11/23/10 - 11:07 am
A perfect illustration of PC

A perfect illustration of PC running amok. Our government, in a great show of shunning common sense and actually doing the unthinkable and profiling potential terrorists, would rather make everyone suffer for the sins of a few.

Points to ponder: Michael Chertoff, while he was the Head of Homeland Security under Bush, advocated and pushed for installation and implementation of these new full-body scanners at our airports. Once he was out of "public service", Chertoff's consulting company (Read: Lobbying Company) landed as a client (Surprise!), Rapsican, the company that makes the scanners. Since there was no money in the TSA budget for these scanners, they simply dipped into the proverbial Democratic slush fund (Stimulus funds) and it was a done deal. Everybody wins.....oh, except for the traveling public.

Create a crisis, fan public fear, call for immediate urgent action to deal with the emergency, and then sit back and bask in the glory of passing bad legislation or making millions for you and your cronies. Am I the only one that can see this pattern used over and over by this administration?

Now that the GOP has taken back the HOR, look now for Darth Hussein to begin bypassing Congress and furthering his liberal agenda by executive order and rulings by Federal Agencies.

Chillen
Chillen 11/23/10 - 11:48 am
Here's a new TSA twist I just

Here's a new TSA twist I just read in an article.

"The American Federation of Government Employees, the union that represents TSA workers, is claiming that TSA workers are the victims of abuse and we need to do more to protect them. Union President John Gage wants the government to issue pamphlets to inform TSA operatives of their rights and options."

Heaven help this nation. This is truly unbelievable.

Chillen
Chillen 11/23/10 - 11:59 am
Loss of Freedom for

Loss of Freedom for Security.

Now comes this from a USA Today article. You will soon see a massive build up of TSA employees to screen us when we get on a train or subway. The union loving obama administration will be more than happy to throw billions their way, to enlarge the government AND strenghten the union - double utopia for him.

TSA Director, John Pistole says "Protecting riders on mass-transit systems from terrorist attacks will be as high a priority as ensuring safe air travel."

The terrorists are getting their wish. Westernized nations are spending billions, if not trillions, on anti-terrorism security during a time of grave economic peril. A time when all our socialist, entitlement & military spending is biting us in the butt. They are bankrupting us.

Financial terrorism. And they are laughing at us.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/23/10 - 12:10 pm
A question just occurred to

A question just occurred to me. I wonder what type of “pat down” they do at the Riyadh airport?

MajorPaul
MajorPaul 11/23/10 - 12:19 pm
I wonder if all the turkeys

I wonder if all the turkeys who are so offended by the full body scan get all flatulent about having to get a mammogram or an x-ray? Those are much more invasive.
The people who moan the loudest about the security measures are the same ones who would squeal like schoolgirls if a weapon did make it onto a plane.
I do think it is a little odd to screen the pilots however. If they wanted to crash the plane, they dont need a weapon anyway.

Chillen
Chillen 11/23/10 - 12:41 pm
I wonder if pedophiles will

I wonder if pedophiles will be applying for TSA jobs now. The perfect way to legally grope children & young teens.

One was just arrested in Orlando.

dani
dani 11/23/10 - 12:43 pm
Major Paul..Yes, and yes.

Major Paul..Yes, and yes. Also yes to other suggested treatments such as a colonoscopy.
And the nice thing is, it is my choice.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 11/23/10 - 01:05 pm
Chillen (re: 10:02), would

Chillen (re: 10:02), would you elaborate on the "net neutrality" issue, either here on by contacting me? What I read is nothing short of confusing, but the split second I read about imposing "standards of neutrality", my hackles jumped. The Dimocrats like Waxman, and other assorted nazis, make it sound like they are limiting corporate censorship, but given the source of that "explanation", I'm thinking they are about to stifle people like Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity rather than the comparable and odious lefties.

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 11/23/10 - 04:03 pm
"Those who would give up

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

CATFISHSTEW
CATFISHSTEW 11/23/10 - 05:15 pm
I just gave up flying. If I

I just gave up flying. If I can't drive I wont be going,

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 11/23/10 - 05:52 pm
I don't have any great issue

I don't have any great issue with the "backscatter viewing" except the principle of being forced to do it. But I will never let someone do an aggressive grope/pat down on me or my child without clear probable cause. If our government isn't going to forsake political correctness in order to protect us Americans, I'll be damned if I'm going to help them allow terrorists to demean me via degrading practices by the TSA.

I don't mind having to prove my identity or even getting designated as a safe passenger with a background check or some other reasonable means. That is done all the time now, and for many reasons, like employment. It might as well be done for using public transportation as well. But to hell with this TSA groping and X-raying us. There are other, equally effective ways to make sure people aren't bringing non-metal explosive devices onto jets, indicating that this horrible kerfuffle almost certainly is the result of some corporate/lobby jerks lining their pockets and laughing at us all the way to the bank.

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.