There are speed limits for a reason

Regarding the horrible collision involving bicyclist Matt Burke, it brings to mind the issue of speeding in general.

I have lived and driven on both sides and throughout the country in both large cities and rural areas. Never before have I seen such a high incidence of speeding in residential and other areas marked with a speed limit.

There is simply no good reason to be traveling at a speed of 50 mph in a posted 35 mph zone. It's illegal. This is why.

Lisa Fargo

Martinez

Farnsworth
Farnsworth 11/22/10 - 12:32 am
Sad fact but no one ever

Sad fact but no one ever respects the speed limit anymore. Just going down Gordon Hwy I have to go 65+ just to stay with the flow of traffic. I see cop cars speeding past me faster than I'm going. If the cops aren't going to enforce the speeding laws then they can't expect the average Joes to follow it. Get the police to enforce it and maybe people will actually obey them.

soldout
soldout 11/22/10 - 12:40 am
I don't believe anyone has to

I don't believe anyone has to go with the flow. Get behind a truck that can't keep up with the flow and you are totally protected from the front and no one will be on your tail as they want to get around you quick. Try driving 64mph on I 20 and you may not have to touch your brakes in 50 miles or more and probably never have to pass anyone. You will arrive much more rested due to the lower stress of driving slower. Your gas mileage will also be better.

Farnsworth
Farnsworth 11/22/10 - 12:45 am
Try going below 55 on Gordon

Try going below 55 on Gordon Hwy....even in the right lane...and see how many times your rear-end is ridden and you get honked at. SLOW DOWN PEOPLE!

albertoli
albertoli 11/22/10 - 01:40 am
This proves that the

This proves that the education sysem in Richmond/Columbia County has failed. If drivers realized that there is nothing to be gained by speeding would they slow down? If speeding on an open highway at 10 mph over the limit only saves 10 minutes, then speeding at 10 mph over the limit i.e. Washington Rd. @55, for 1 mile saves 24 seconds , since 1 mile @45mph takes 1.33 minutes and @55mph takes 1.09 minutes. For this, many people have lost their lives. How many times do you see some jerk cutting in and out, only to stop next to her at a red light?

wildman
wildman 11/22/10 - 05:12 am
We the people should sometime

We the people should sometime police ourselves. if enough of us slowdown others will have no choice if they are behind us. The Police are busy trying to stop murders, respond to domestic violence calls, robberies, etc and now we complain they are not stopping drivers for going to fast. Cut back on other government spending and hire more police and second pay them better. They are overworked and under paid.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 11/22/10 - 07:16 am
Speed kills. Ride horses.

Speed kills. Ride horses.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/22/10 - 07:28 am
albertoli, your post is so

albertoli, your post is so correct....."How many times do you see some jerk cutting in and out, only to stop next to her at a red light?"

old49er
old49er 11/22/10 - 08:13 am
Try driving on SC 125 toward

Try driving on SC 125 toward Jackson in the morning with those "safety conscious" SRS workers. The speed limit is 55, and some of them are doing 75+. They roar through Beech Island and Jackson like NASCAR drivers and then have to wait in long lines at the entrance to SRS. Go figure.

southernguy08
southernguy08 11/22/10 - 08:20 am
LISA, there are laws for a

LISA, there are laws for a reason, but people still ignore them, and blame others when they are caught violating them. I agree with you, but until we see a fundamental change in people's attitudes, I don't think much will change.

Runner46
Runner46 11/22/10 - 08:28 am
Just wait until the first

Just wait until the first freezing rain or snow of the year. That's when the speeders will get their just reward. There's nothing like a loss of traction to put the fear of God into a chronic speeder. If they survive the spin or roll-over, most of them become "born again", if they have any sense of survival in them.

Runner46
Runner46 11/22/10 - 08:31 am
For those who like to

For those who like to tailgate, I have a solution. GO AROUND ME! I will go slower, just in case you rear end me. Better to crash at a slower speed than at max warp!

Dixieman
Dixieman 11/22/10 - 10:22 am
The people I like are those

The people I like are those who interpret the traffic light turning red in front of them as meaning they now have another 20 seconds to get through the intersection or make a left turn in front of oncoming traffic. I have come close to crashing than I care to many times as a result of these fools.

Hatfield0278
Hatfield0278 11/22/10 - 10:57 am
So if the RCSO is facing a

So if the RCSO is facing a budget shortfall then why don't they just set up some speed-traps one day a week every week and hand out tickets all day. I'm pretty sure that traffic-cops aren't investigating narcotics and murders. Write some tickets!

MarkShells
MarkShells 11/22/10 - 09:25 pm
I thought I was the only one

I thought I was the only one who thought like this..wow, refreshing! I agree people lets just do the right thing and maybe it will catch on! or at least make it more appearent who is breaking the law.

MadSnapper
MadSnapper 11/22/10 - 09:43 pm
How many negative comments

How many negative comments have I read regarding the North Augusta Police writing speeding tickets? I live in North Augusta and I'm glad people are afraid to speed over here, sounds like you all agree that speed limits should be enforced.

Discussionstarter
Discussionstarter 11/23/10 - 11:56 pm
The speeding and running of

The speeding and running of red lights is everywhere! Why? Because there are no consequences. Come to West Lake Subdivision in Martinez; the speeding and running of Stop signs inside this gated 'neighborhood' is outrageous. No consequences what-so-ever. Damage to property by hit-and-run drivers occurs monthly; three times in just the last thirty days.