City needs some tips on new budget

Regarding the Augusta Commission's approval of the 2011 budget, one issue concerns me greatly. I feel that cutting the sheriff's office budget by $750,000, while we are on pace to top last year's crime rate, is counterintuitive and counterproductive.

I have two suggestions for city leaders.

How about a moratorium on so-called "studies?" These studies do nothing to enrich the city. They only enrich those who present them. The recent Augusta Sustainable Development Agenda is a case in point. This was a waste of $500,000. This would be a great plan 20 years from now. But today, Richmond County has more immediate needs that have absolutely nothing to do with "tourist corridors" and more "green spaces." Let's make the city safe first.

Second, let's get a pledge from city leaders not to waste money on frivolous lawsuits on businesses that are unseemly yet constitutional -- namely the $800,000 frittered away on the X-Mart controversy.

These two actions alone cost the city $1.4 million. That's twice what city leaders have agreed to cut from the sheriff's budget. Reminding everyone that we are on pace to top last year's crime rate, I'm now led to believe that, because of previous mismanagement, we are now supposed to believe these same city leaders have it all figured out? Give me a break!

William Davis

Augusta

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 11/22/10 - 12:53 am
You CAN seperate out jobs and

You CAN seperate out jobs and functions within local government. Furloughing our Police and Firefighters for 5 days is asanine. The overtime being paid to Firefighters and the loss of Federal Grant monies to the Marshall's Department due to Furloughs ends up wasting a great deal of tax monies at various levels and provides us with less service.

On top of removing approximately 500 sworn police officers from serving our communtiy for 5 days each next year, an additional $750,000.00 is to be cut from the Sheriff's Budget. This is simply unacceptable and every commissoner who voted for this while approving continued government waste on non-essential items such as subsidzing people to pay golf on a public course need to be removed from office ASAP.

This budget is not acceptable with most citizens from the West Side to the South Side and we as a community need to come together and knock some since into our commissoners.

If this fails, the Sheriff should sue the commission for the necessary funds to protect our city and our citizens. Without strong Public Safety, everything else is simply a waste of tax monies as tax paying citizens and businesses will leave or fail to come to our area.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 11/22/10 - 04:12 am
EXCELLENT LETTER! 100% on

EXCELLENT LETTER! 100% on target.

Over a Hundred Million for TEE, nothing but cuts for the cops.

Millions for the DDA, cuts for the sheriff. (you can cut $200,000 if you cut the Dirty Deals Authority)

You can judge priorities by looking at where the money is spent. In Augusta the white westside leaders payoff the African-American with peanuts while they get the majority of the tax focus promised to projects beyond their LIFE SPAN only Joe Bowels will be alive in 50 years.

Where is the Mandate Mayor, Deke "Ironman" Copenhaver on all this? Oh let me guess, he doesn't HAVE to talk about it because he doesn't have a vote right?

Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Augusta has a reckoning coming,

Brad

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 11/22/10 - 06:57 am
The gigantic subsidy system

The gigantic subsidy system being sustained in Augusta would be a burden for a city three time our size. Until something is done about this debilitating system, little will change.

pointstoponder
pointstoponder 11/22/10 - 08:11 am
Do any of you actually look

Do any of you actually look at operations before you type? There is wasste in any law enforcement agency. Augusta is no exception. There is a surplus of middle management asa result of consolidation of two separate agencies (Augusta Police Department and Sheriff's Office) that is wasteful. They are operating two jails and will not consider an alternative to hard cells. Other communities use house arrest, dormitories for nonviolent offenders and countless other alterantives that we refuse to consider. Is there really a need for inmates to receive three hot meals a day? There are a lot of areas to be cut before you hit the offcer on patrol. Heck, it Atlanta would decriminalize traffic offenses you could cut the cost of prosecution, defense and incarceration substantially. They could make better use of technology by the use of video arraignments eliminating much of the cost of transporting prisoners back and forth. You could get a judge to drive one car rather than having to bus prisoners. Problem is we don't think outside the box because we've "always done it this way".

dichotomy
32019
dichotomy 11/22/10 - 10:57 am
The only study I would be in

The only study I would be in favor of is a study that tells the truth about how Consolidation and Augusta's city Charter crippled Richmond County and also makes recommendations to correct the problems. That would be money well spent if they implemented the recommendations. Things like giving the mayor a vote, stopping "walk outs" by commission members to prevent a vote by making 6 votes a quorum, and requiring that spending of taxpayer dollars be somewhat proportional to the districts from which they were collected. I don't mean dollar for dollar. But lets face it, rural RC taxpayers get ZERO for the amount of taxes they pay on these 7000 acres of "Residential" zoned vacant land. We are the host from which the leech feeds. They might as well set up a couple of P.O boxes, one on Reynolds street and the other Laney Walker, and tell us to send half of our tax payments to each place. The budget cuts don't bother me too much. When it comes to services from the county, nothing from nothing equals nothing. As long as the water comes in when I turn on the faucet and the garbage truck comes, and both of those are billed separately and seem to be solvent, we south enders probably won't notice any difference except for more potholes.

transplant1
transplant1 11/22/10 - 11:02 am
How about some of the City

How about some of the City department heads taking "furlough" days....no one is touching their salaries, but the people at the bottem, who are already scraping to make ends meet are making all the sacrifice. A lot of the employees of the City are paid too much, anyway.

AWyld1
AWyld1 11/22/10 - 12:38 pm
How about the mayor donating

How about the mayor donating his salary back into the coffers for use? How bout no more waste on "studies" that we never use? Abolish the DDA! Why do we have a government inside a government? Shouldn't that be the commission's job? I'd rather see 50% of the DDA's budget be given to the commissioners as salary and let them do that job. Isn't that why they are elected? Make it worth their while. All these "appointed" positions are why Augusta is in the trouble it is in. Nepotism and cronyism get in the way of the city's business. While I don't agree with most of his opinions I can honestly say Brad stood up to what he percieved as conflicts of interest on the city's behalf. You need people like that not yes men. You also don't need rich boy kings that cut ribbons and argue with local radio personalities like 12 year olds and challenge them to "ironman" contests. It would be funny if it wasn't sad.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 11/22/10 - 01:26 pm
Awyld1, Thanks for the kind

Awyld1,

Thanks for the kind words. I want it noted that I never made one cent from anyting I did during that time either. In fact, by being a part of it I was hurt in my pocketbook amny times.

Appointed boards can help spread the load of making the county work but they must be accountable to someone, right now the DDA answers to no one.

Brad

AWyld1
AWyld1 11/22/10 - 01:32 pm
I agree Brad...I'm not saying

I agree Brad...I'm not saying do way with all appointed boards but they have to be held accountable and have to be manned by people with no special interests....I think you know more than anyone about conflicts of interests on appointed boards...

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 11/22/10 - 01:43 pm
Awyld1 - I agree that those

Awyld1 - I agree that those appointed boards must be held accountable for their actions. However ... everyone has special interest, if they care about anything at all. What I want is for the broads to be staffed with experts, get the best people in the position that know what needs to be done. In many cases that would mean putting both business experts and consumer experts on the same broad because both sides of the issue needs to be addressed.

AWyld1
AWyld1 11/22/10 - 02:21 pm
When I say special interest I

When I say special interest I meant you can't have a real estate agent with properties for sale involved in the city buying properties...I agree experts are the way you just have to be careful who those "experts" are.

Lori Davis
Lori Davis 11/22/10 - 03:52 pm
Awyld1: Kind of like having a

Awyld1: Kind of like having a slumlord on a Chronic Nuisance Property Ordinance Committee?

AWyld1
AWyld1 11/22/10 - 09:46 pm
Yes that would be another

Yes that would be another form of special interest!!!