Don't rush tithes to media ministries

Tithing is for the support of your church -- God's house -- not for a radio or TV ministry. They are not the storehouse.

It's OK to support these ministries after you first give your tithe to your own church. Don't expect a blessing if you take from God's house -- the church -- and give to these ministries first.

Terry Smith

North Augusta, S.C.

dougk
dougk 11/18/10 - 11:29 pm
Not to even mention the

Not to even mention the threat of withheld blessings, exactly how did you get to be the expert on who or what anyone should contribute to, Mr. Smith? Or on what local church's payroll might you be on??

peace4784
peace4784 11/19/10 - 12:40 am
God's house? Churches are not

God's house? Churches are not God's house. All so-called churches in the USA are the Gov's house. They all are 503c government corporations. They have nothing to do with God and have everything to do with the government. Anyone who gives to a church is in fact giving their money to the government. That is why you receive a charitable tax receipt. God does not authorize tax receipts, only the Government authorizes tax receipits. The only blessing a person will receive from giving to a church is a charitable tax deduction. Pastors are agents of the government, not God. Those who have been truly called do not attend Government nonprofit organizations and perpetrate to be God worshippers. It's all a feel good charade. The letter writer has been hoodwinked. It's a shame.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 11/19/10 - 02:55 am
Giving locally affords

Giving locally affords accountability; you can see where your money goes if you're there at least once or twice every week. "By their fruits ye shall know them."

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 11/19/10 - 04:19 am
If you give expecting a

If you give expecting a blessing, you'll never receive it. One can NOT buy blessings......

Jackson
Jackson 11/19/10 - 05:08 am
I must admit I have watched a

I must admit I have watched a few of the TBN shows lately. John Hagee scares me. I like a couple of the younger guys. Benny Hinn seems like a shyster. He's always promoting something and saying if you send in your "seed" then God with shower blessings on you. What a bunch of garbage. He's probably a millionaire. I'm sure they do some good work but some of them look way too wealthy. Here are some buzz words:
Sew a seed.
Annointing.
Blessing.
Curse.
Enemy.
Gift
Partner
Covenant
And alot more.
I know some folks are house bound and this is all they have but to take advantage of poor people like I heard today. He said even if you can't afford it do it anyway because God will give it back to you ten fold.
I wanted to scream!

MajorPaul
MajorPaul 11/19/10 - 06:24 am
If you want to get Biblical,

If you want to get Biblical, the tithe is an Old Testament Jewish thing. It always went to the temple, never to the local synagogue, and it was never money.
The tithe in the Bible was always animals and grown goods. The money you gave to the Temple and elsewhere was a totally separate thing.
In the New Testament we as Christians are instructed to give joyfully and give what we can. This giving is to Gods work. Many people gave theit money to folks such as Paul, who built churches.
The point is, give. And if you belong to a local church, it seems a bit niggardly not to help support it. If your church is one you do not feel you can support financially, I think it might be time for you to find a new church!

dani
dani 11/19/10 - 06:39 am
I had a problem with my

I had a problem with my mother-in-law sending tithes to tv ministers. . I finally realized it was her money and her christianity, so I left her alone. She was an elderly woman, housebound, and these preachers gave her what she needed She was very careful to send the correct amount, and it made her happy. She wanted to keep them on the air.

dani
dani 11/19/10 - 06:41 am
I kind of like Hagee although

I kind of like Hagee although I haven't heard him a lot. He seems to be a hard-nosed preacher and I guess that is what it's all about.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/19/10 - 07:19 am
dani....please stay away from

dani....please stay away from Hagee. There are a few others that appear to be teaching God's word but do not follow what is actually taught in the Bible.

dougk, Mr. Smith is correct in that we are suppose to support our local church. It provides a place for believers to come together and worship, minister to each other's spiritual needs, and also to minister to the needs in the community. Mr. Smith's letter does not profess to be an expert, just stating his opinion.

ReformedRepub, you are exactly right. If you're giving in order to receive a blessing, then you're giving for the wrong reason.

Jon Lester, you said it all.....

Peace4784, what can I say.....you my friend are the only one who has been hoodwinked, and by the greatest of all..the Father of Lies, Satan himself. I pray you find the answer to that hardened heart and scales on the eyes......you life could be so much more content.

etlinks
20257
etlinks 11/19/10 - 08:29 am
peace4784 you win the Troll

peace4784 you win the Troll award for your comments on this letter and the Lady A letter.

Jackson
Jackson 11/19/10 - 09:18 am
Sorry peace4784 but I don't

Sorry peace4784 but I don't get the point you're trying to make. Then again some mornings I'm not that bright.

Techfan
Techfan 11/19/10 - 09:39 am
Send me $10 and I'll send you

Send me $10 and I'll send you a "blessed" 1.00 bill. I actually heard one of them say that. Pretty good profit margin.

soldout
soldout 11/19/10 - 09:57 am
A giver will be blessed; it

A giver will be blessed; it is a promise in the Word. You need to be a cheerful giver though. Sowig and reaping does work because it is God's system. The storehouse is where the food was stored so you need to give where you are fed spiritually. Some ministries aren't feeding anyone and should dry up and go away. God said to trust him and give Him your tithes and offerings and He would open the windows of heaven and pour out a blessing. You aren't making God bless you because He already wants to bless His children. You show your heart when you are a cheerful giver. When I was a teenager I heard a preacher say. "give God a tenth and save a tenth and you will never go to bed at night worried about how to pay a bill". He was right in my life and that statement has been true for 50 years for me. The Holy Spirit will show you where you can give with joy and who to avoid. Givers are always in charge because they control their life and their joy. Takers are always waiting for someone else to make them happy. Become a giver to God's work and you will never want to stop.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/19/10 - 10:30 am
That is why it is wise to

WW1949
WW1949 11/19/10 - 10:34 am
soldout, Is that why so many

soldout, Is that why so many on welfare are so unhappy or are they happy because they do not do much in the way of helping themselves and Paul you will probably be called a racist because some will not know the the meaning of the word is stingy or that you are reluctant to give or spend.

soldout
soldout 11/19/10 - 10:58 am
WW1949 I just know the Word

WW1949 I just know the Word works for me. Many of the poor envy the rich and are making a heart judgement on them. I just think it is better to love and try the principles of the Word and see what happens. I don't know any x-givers.

faithson
faithson 11/19/10 - 12:02 pm
“Woe upon you, chief priests

“Woe upon you, chief priests and rulers who lay hold of the property of the poor and demand heavy dues of those who would serve God as they think Moses ordained! You who refuse to show mercy, can you hope for mercy in the worlds to come?" said by a good friend of mine.

Jackson
Jackson 11/19/10 - 12:03 pm
Soldout you are absolutely

Soldout you are absolutely correct about give a tenth and save a tenth. My dad instilled that in me at a young age and it has worked well my whole life. Bills get paid and there's even an emergency fund.

You're right too ICL though I'm fairly new to actually studying the Bible. I can almost tell which preachers are on the mark and which ones are not. I'm sure I'll get better at it as I learn more about the Word.

follower 11/19/10 - 12:35 pm
Scripture tells us to give

Scripture tells us to give "cheerfully", understanding God owns it all anyway. As stewards, the Christian realizes we have been "entrusted" with not only possessions, but also "time". We are accountable with how we spend our time as well as how we spend our money.

As for what someone is led to give, that's between them and God. The Bible says in 2Cor. 9:7, "Each one must give as he has made up his mind, not reluctantly or under complusion, for God loves a cheerful giver".

If one chooses not to believe scripture, it shouldn't matter to them anyway.

For the Christian, it's a joy to give. Expecting a blessing for giving is silly, as we've already been blessed beyond measure.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/19/10 - 01:42 pm
Your words are so true

Your words are so true follower! We have been blessed and no amount of money could repay it. Jackson, we're all in the learning stage where the Bible is concerned so just keep doing what you're doing. Your father gave you some wise advice.

Jane18
Jane18 11/19/10 - 01:42 pm
dani, listen to icl, do not

dani, listen to icl, do not listen to Hagee. There is so much in the Bible about misleading or wrong teaching pastors, teachers,etc.. I guess most have not read that judgment begins at the house of GOD and first with those pastors, teachers, reverends, and any of the other titles they call themselves. Jackson, keep sudying, you are doing great!

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/19/10 - 02:32 pm
anyone interested in some

anyone interested in some information on Hagee and why it is best not to listen to him copy and paste the link and read the article. I'm sure there are other articles or websites, this is just a starting point and I believe proves my point. This is not to say Mr. Hagee isn't a Christian, he's just not teaching the true Word of God and misleading a bunch of people.

soldout
soldout 11/19/10 - 04:52 pm
Jackson, follower, In

Jackson, follower, In ChristLove; it is a blessing to be in your company here giving comments. Your words show the Word works in your lives.

mable8
mable8 11/19/10 - 05:07 pm
Terry Smith: There is no

Terry Smith: There is no directive from God to tithe. Furthermore, many of the congregation who 'attend' these media ministries are shut-ins, so they ARE giving to THEIR church. As for blessings, God will bless whomever He pleases regardless of whether or not the recipient has tithed; where does the Bible tell you that one must give to a church before He will provide a blessing, especially when God never established a church in the first place. The Bible is interpreted in many ways by many people; no one has the right to say to me their way is the only way---you sure can't prove that God pointed a finger at some religious group and said "you're it." Christians named themselves, not God; the name was simply a title that indicated they 'followed Christ' and nothing more. Thank God for Paganism; without them, Christians wouldn't exist!

mable8
mable8 11/19/10 - 05:21 pm
ICL: "That is why it is wise

ICL: "That is why it is wise to compare what these TV "preachers" say against what the Holy Word of God says. Nothing is wrong with listening to the Word of God on TV. There are some out there that actually preach God's Word but you need to study the Word and pray to know the difference. Is it a feel good session or the Word of God?" So how is this to be different from hearing some preacher in a church saying the the same things? Take out the TV/Radio label and put church in its place. There are just as many liars at the local pulpits as there are on media networks who are out there to bilk the people of their hard earned cash. When I hear preachers, I listen to what they are saying; then I look it up afterwards and will call them when I find an error and demand an explanation. If you are going to tell me you are preaching the Word of God, you had best do the job and don't try to snow me. Furthermore, why shouldn't a session with God be a 'feel good' session; are we supposed to always be somber and have a flat affect? Whatever happened to "Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord" (David--when he danced and sang in the temple of God)? Christians seem to forget that God has a sense of humor, is witty, is all loving and caring, and is not the sour grapes, jealouse, wrathful scalawag some would like everyone to believe. I am so glad my God differs from the one you and Smith believe in.

mable8
mable8 11/19/10 - 05:39 pm
ICL: "This is not to say Mr.

ICL: "This is not to say Mr. Hagee isn't a Christian, he's just not teaching the true Word of God and misleading a bunch of people." I checked out your links; the charge that Hagee "isn't a Christian...and misleading a bunch of people" is made by you and those who disagree with his religious philosophy. So the man preaches prosperity; it isn't any different from those who preach impoverishment and that one should be proud of being poor. It is one thing to disagree with another, but it is quite another to be so judgmental that you actually disgrace the one you disagree with. How unchristian of those who think in such a way...you will have a great deal of company in hades one day!

dani
dani 11/19/10 - 07:25 pm
Don't worry about me, I am

Don't worry about me, I am too busy to listen to TV ministers other than my own minister and I prefer to hear him in person. I do at times listen to tapes of previous sermons...but as I rule I like to feel the presence, the very real presence.

The few times that I have heard Hagee I heard nothing different than I what I hear in my own Baptist church...It's just that I prefer my church and hearing a sermon live..

Jane18
Jane18 11/19/10 - 07:26 pm
Wow! That's quite a judgement

Wow! That's quite a judgement Mable put on icl. I don't think, I know, GOD doesn't need her help making any kind of judgements. Don't worry about her icl, or anyone like her. You know there are some people in a stupor, she may be one of them.

dani
dani 11/19/10 - 07:29 pm
If you study the Bible you

If you study the Bible you will see that Paul, Peter, and the others did not preach the same sermon to the people and at times made conflicting statements, but they were teaching toward the same goal. Don't be too quick to condemn someone who says something you don't agree with. The end result is what matters.

dani
dani 11/19/10 - 07:43 pm
I don't think Mable meant to

I don't think Mable meant to be judgmental toward ICL. In Galatians 2 (maybe verse 19) the meek Paul confronted Peter because he was not preaching the message that Paul felt he should. Paul wasn't being judgmental, he was helping Peter back to his intended mission. Religion is complicated. Christians feel when something is right or wrong due to the presence of the Holy Spirit. He will lead you if you listen.

Fatality highlights golf cart safety

Similar to cars, driving a golf cart has legal requirements. Texting and driving is illegal. So is driving while impaired. Also, all drivers must have a valid driver's license and golf carts are ...