What's wrong with posing with a gun?

I am writing in reference to Rob Pavey's Oct. 23 outdoors column, and in particular the section focusing on deer photos. According to Mr. Pavey, "A tenet of gun safety is that firearms are to be put away except when hunting, so don't pose with your rifle."

I believe this is incorrect. Nowhere in the "10 Commandments of Gun Safety" will you find this tenet. You will find the commandment that states, "Firearms should be loaded only when actually hunting." If you're in the field, it's not poor etiquette to carry your firearm, or to possess it while posing for a photo. It just needs to be unloaded and handled in a safe manner.

No firearms in photos may be part of the criteria for photo submission to The Augusta Chronicle, but it has nothing to do with firearm safety. Like the prohibition on deer tongues hanging out, maybe it is a politically correct attempt to protect the general readership of The Chronicle from images they might find distasteful. I hope not.

John C. Huffman

Augusta

GGpap
GGpap 11/06/10 - 03:06 am
My gosh, how can anyone in

My gosh, how can anyone in his right mind require that the mighty hunter give up his sacred phallic symbol as he stands posed over his mightier four legged opponent? I've never heard of such blasphemy!

GGpap

Jackson
Jackson 11/06/10 - 02:37 am
That's hilarious GGpap!!!

That's hilarious GGpap!!!

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 11/06/10 - 04:11 am
The economy may be bad news

The economy may be bad news but the good news is - fewer folks are desecrating and shooting up nature. You don't have to wade through the briars and brambles to enjoy the thrill of the kill. TV games offer the joy of killing, blasting, stooping and zapping from the comfort of your living room chair.

orgpsych
orgpsych 11/06/10 - 05:05 am
** YAWN **

** YAWN **

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 11/06/10 - 05:58 am
You are hilarious GGpap. Is

You are hilarious GGpap. Is there anyone or anything you don't hate?

bettyboop
bettyboop 11/06/10 - 06:06 am
LOL...everyone has one ...you

LOL...everyone has one ...you know?

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 11/06/10 - 06:35 am
How did Jackson read GGpap's

How did Jackson read GGpap's post @2:37 when GGpap didn't post it until 3:06?Just wondering.

GoGators2010
GoGators2010 11/06/10 - 06:43 am
When GGpap edited his post,

When GGpap edited his post, the edit time replaced the original posting time.

confederatelady319
confederatelady319 11/06/10 - 08:39 am
I've taken 6 to the butcher

I've taken 6 to the butcher shop,and still have about 2 months to go.Fat and steroid free meat for my family.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/06/10 - 09:56 am
Phallic symbol...ggpap I'm

Phallic symbol...ggpap I'm surprised at you..lol....what is it when a woman holds the gun??

soldout
soldout 11/06/10 - 10:02 am
Amen confederate lady; it is

Amen confederate lady; it is a good and safe source of protein and the supply is abundant.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/06/10 - 10:03 am
SeenitB4, phallus envy?

SeenitB4, phallus envy?

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/06/10 - 10:13 am
GGap....phallic symbol ????

GGap....phallic symbol ???? It's kind of like Nancy Pelosi posing with that big gavel after she shoved Obamacare down the little people's throat. Was that her phallic symbol? Now there was a photograph that should have been banned.

ameliaf
ameliaf 11/06/10 - 12:24 pm
"what is it when a woman

"what is it when a woman holds the gun??"

Wishful thinking?

Pennywise
Pennywise 11/06/10 - 12:44 pm
I always figured those with

I always figured those with the biggest guns and trucks must have the smallest......erhm! You know ;-) I mean they have to be over-compensating for something. Who really needs an AK-47 and a Hummer if you aren't in a Warzone???

Pennywise
Pennywise 11/06/10 - 12:47 pm
The second amendment gives

The second amendment gives you the right to bear arms like...pistols and hunting rifles. It doesn't mean you need or ever should own an M-16, AK, air-to-ground missiles, tank, or any other assault combat style weapon(all of which I've heard people whining to own before). There is no need for it and I've never understood anyone's reasoning for why they needed that AK-47. To defend yourself? Puh-lease! I own one .357 and one standard hunting rifle and that's all the defense I've ever needed.

MajorPaul
MajorPaul 11/06/10 - 01:03 pm
If you dont hunt, you buy

If you dont hunt, you buy your meat. But I agree, it might make GPap look a little silly posing with his credit card.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 11/06/10 - 02:13 pm
Pennywise, what is the

Pennywise, what is the difference between an AR15 and a semi automatic .22 rifle or any other autoloader. Very few citizens own full auto AK's or M16's. You are another one who sees firearms for their cosmetics and not for their functions. You should live in Mass. or Calif. where the gunophobes squeal every time they see a black rifle. Style doesnt make them one bit more aggressive than a Ruger 10-22.

confederatelady319
confederatelady319 11/06/10 - 02:52 pm
I purchase a new weapon

I purchase a new weapon every payday and all the ammo i can carry.My motto, always be prepaired.

Pennywise
Pennywise 11/06/10 - 03:13 pm
I don't see them as

I don't see them as cosmetics. I've never posed with mine or had to brag about it to the guys...."Hey my gun is bigger than your gun"...or anything like that. I have one hunting rifle I inherited from my grandfather when he passed away and I own one pistol. I have them in case the situation should ever arise that I need to protect myself. However I don't feel like I need to own an AK, M-16, AR-15s, or anything of a TOTAL ASSAULT nature. No average joe needs to own weapons like that. They are made for no other reason than war...to kill. You don't need an AK to hunt a deer. I gun that can shoot 30 rounds of ammo in less than 10 seconds is a lot worse than a manual hunting rifle or pistol. I supported the assault weapons ban and I hope one day one president will have the cajones to re-instate it and to heck with the NRA.

The Right to Bear Arms doesn't mean you should be able to own every gun type in the world.

Pennywise
Pennywise 11/06/10 - 03:28 pm
I purchase a new weapon every

---------

See that's frightening. Nobody needs their own personal arsenal. A couple of handgun and couple of hunting rifles...one thing. But ARSENALS?!?! Are you serious?

confederatelady319
confederatelady319 11/06/10 - 04:15 pm
Pennywise speak for

Pennywise speak for yourself,if you are happy with with what you have good,but i like to be prepaired for the worst case scerino,i bet your ammo is very limited.I'm in for the long haul.Family and freinds come first it you are not prepaired when the crap hits the fan thats your problem.

confederatelady319
confederatelady319 11/06/10 - 04:15 pm
Pennywise speak for

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 11/06/10 - 04:17 pm
Bizarre humor for today. A

Bizarre humor for today. A student at the University of Texas opened fire with an AK-47 rifle in the campus library. No injuries occurred and the shooter was later found dead in the library's upper floor. The library shooting occurred at 8:00 a.m. Later in the day at 6 p.m., the University of Maryland's John Lot, gun rights advocate and author of More Guns, Less Crime, was schedule to speak on campus.

Pennywise
Pennywise 11/06/10 - 04:23 pm
But damn how many guns does

But damn how many guns does one person need? Really? Some of you are way too paranoid.

confederatelady319
confederatelady319 11/06/10 - 05:05 pm
NO,We call it being

NO,We call it being prepaired,if i never have to use it,i just have a bunch of neat stuff to play with.

GGpap
GGpap 11/06/10 - 05:15 pm
wizzardx1, I have no hatred

wizzardx1, I have no hatred or dislike for those that choose to hunt for the food they put on their tables...however...I do wonder about those that find it so important or necessary to take a macho pose, with their phalic symbol and all, in order to puff out their chest and attempt to prove their manhood to the folks back home; seems quite childish to me. And, GoGators2010 answered your other question correctly...I changed a word.

seenitB4, well, perhaps it is gender envy, or a revealing sign of a copy cat, or just a simple desire to show the world that ladies can manage the macho task of shooting a 4 legged animal just as well as a man. I personally think the last idea is perhaps the best guess, lol.

GGpap

confederatelady319
confederatelady319 11/06/10 - 05:22 pm
Its called a trophy,just like

Its called a trophy,just like football,basketball,etc whats your problem,GOD gave us the animals for food.I can see you now eating that big old steak from that big old pretty brown eyed cow.

confederatelady319
confederatelady319 11/06/10 - 05:22 pm
Its called a trophy,just like

Starvin Larry
Starvin Larry 11/06/10 - 05:29 pm
" I gun that can shoot 30

" I gun that can shoot 30 rounds of ammo in less than 10 seconds is a lot worse than a manual hunting rifle or pistol. I supported the assault weapons ban and I hope one day one president will have the cajones to re-instate it and to heck with the NRA. "

A gun that can shoot 30 rounds in less than 10 seconds would be a fully automatic weapon,which there are a very few US citizens who are legally permitted to own one,and any that are owned must be manufactured prior to 1986.
"Assauly Weapon" is a term made up by the anti-gun lobby during the Clinton admin. Elena kagan was a key attorney involved in the ban,and was extremely happy-her comment was-"now we can go after a whole new class of guns"
No such thing as a "manual hunting rifle or pistol"
The A-R platform rifles are now a legitimate,and legal hunting rifle-used by many for hog,coyote,and other varmint hunting.
The assault weapons ban was allowed to expire because it had zero effect on firearms crime. The average criminal is not going to pay over $500.00 each for a basic A-R platform rifle,or over $1,000.00 each for one with scope,sling,and all the extras.
Banning any legal firearm will just lead to banning even more types of firearms,people like Dennis Henigan,mayor for life Bloomberg,and the rest of the anti-gun lobby will not stop trying unless they are able to ban ALL private ownership of firearms. Anyone who believes in the 2nd amendment,and our right to keep and bear arms should NEVER support ANY gun bans of any firearms other than full auto weapons,grenade launchers,shoulder fired missiles etc.