Liberal slant seeping into 'Chronicle'

I have been a subscriber to The Augusta Chronicle since 1983. I have become more disappointed with its political slant. The predominance of liberal articles has become more obvious with its Associated Press content. It frequently parallels that which one would expect on public radio.

As a prime example: Oct. 29, and the headline "2011 should be slightly better," followed by the comment "Economists dismiss ideas of deflation, new recession."

The article then begins to explain that the new Congress in January will confront the economy, job market, etc., and speaks of other possibilities for marginal improvement. The last paragraph stated that "the economists the AP surveyed expect the economy to sidestep some threats raised in recent months. They dismiss the likelihood of a second recession and think the risk of deflation is remote."

Isn't this a very questionable and even dishonest article to appear on The Chronicle's front page four days before the most critical election we have ever experienced? Why don't you get your information from The Wall Street Journal or a similar reputable source?

Also on the front page of this paper, we see a very large picture of Democrat gubernatorial candidate Roy Barnes at a reception in Augusta, followed by a detailed article by Staff Writer Susan McCord. Below this overwhelming picture of Barnes is a very small picture of the Republican candidate, Nathan Deal, followed by an article by Staff Writer Bianca Cain.

How can the senior staff at The Chronicle explain the content and structure of this front page, as well as the continued bias of the articles received from the Associated Press?

Many of us believe that The Chronicle will not survive as a daily paper for more than a few years. Isn't there an awareness among your staff that many readers find much of the current content of your paper distasteful?

I will be very watchful in the months to come before I decide to be one of your past subscribers.

rtkguy
rtkguy 11/02/10 - 10:34 pm
Maybe you should watch more

Maybe you should watch more FOX news

msitua
msitua 11/02/10 - 10:59 pm
The Augusta Chronicle

The Augusta Chronicle liberal? Send in the clowns. Fox or Rush.

AugustaFella
AugustaFella 11/03/10 - 12:36 am
Yeah, the Chronicle is

Yeah, the Chronicle is liberal -- if slightly to the right of Limbaugh is what constitutes "liberal" these days.

DanK
DanK 11/03/10 - 01:43 am
Liberal?

Liberal? hahahaha.
Distasteful? yes, nauseatingly so.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 11/03/10 - 03:21 am
Maybe a little to the left of

Maybe a little to the left of Free Republic and WorldNetDaily, if that's your standard. Looks like you're 0-5 so far in the peanut gallery.

GGpap
GGpap 11/03/10 - 05:25 am
Mr., Ms, or unknown ET

Mr., Ms, or unknown ET visitor, while I agree with your comment to the effect that "Many of us believe that The Chronicle will not survive as a daily paper for more than a few years…" I would propose that the answer to your question, "Isn't there an awareness among your staff that many readers find much of the current content of your paper distasteful?" is yes...definitely YES...the staff may believe that the content of their paper is distasteful to many of their readers and that perhaps a greater balance in their articles, editorials and opinions might actually save the AC.

Yes, if there is more balance, less leftist bias, they may lose you as a subscriber. Even so, I'd like to believe that the AC would actually gain a few subscribers (AND ADVERTISERS), and it could even become a more profitable and attractive publication for all political leanings of the reading public if they do begin to lean to the middle.

Get well, sir, madam, or mxzzzpltz from Mars; the elections are over and the right enjoyed spectacular victory; and of greater importance, the world will not come to an end just yet. Drop your subscription or adapt to our earthly ways.

GGpap

SCEgikatid
SCEgikatid 11/03/10 - 06:22 am
Good one GGap!

Good one GGap!

dougk
dougk 11/03/10 - 07:04 am
DanK, sees and reports it

DanK, sees and reports it like it is.

Soap Crates
Soap Crates 11/03/10 - 07:51 am
Vern, Vern Vern Vern, Vern.

Vern, Vern Vern Vern, Vern. This is the editorial staff making a funny and I am laughing. Just so you know,V, if facts disagree with your opinion it doesn't indicate bias--at least not on the part of the facts.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 11/03/10 - 08:06 am
Well Vern, when you refer to

Well Vern, when you refer to the AP, yes, it's a radical left agency. Most who write for the AP are fierce lefties/socialists. Any paper that carries the AP articles will appear left "leaning". Of course, it's not uncommon for there to be some lefties that write for most papers because many "journalists" consider themselves "artists".
The editorial page, for the most part, has remained conservative and favors the U.S. constitution in its approach to most articles.
The front page remains at the mercy of the AP and the "less than conservative" editor.

dani
dani 11/03/10 - 08:12 am
Vern, We aren't reading the

Vern, We aren't reading the same Augusta Chronicle.
I enjoy my morning paper and I hope it lives forever(just as it is).

Rhetor
Rhetor 11/03/10 - 08:33 am
The Chronicle is many things,

The Chronicle is many things, but liberal is not one of them. If factual stories trouble you, if you are unable to listen to any opinion except those that you have preconceived, then why bother looking at a newspaper at all?

Chillen
Chillen 11/03/10 - 08:44 am
Thanks for being a watchdog &

Thanks for being a watchdog & pointing this out in case they are slipping a bit. I believe the Chronicle will stay conservative because that is the base they sell to & represent - you don't want to upset the apple cart in the middle of a recession.

They are one of the VERY few conservative newspapers in the USA so liberals, stop your griping or just go & choose from the thousands of liberal newspaper options available to you.

dashiel
dashiel 11/03/10 - 09:56 am
Vern, as a fan of fair &

Vern, as a fan of fair & balanced perhaps you also noticed that the Chronicle ENDORSED Deal. Running a larger photo of Barnes with a LOCAL news article would seem to be the automatic choice of any good editor. (Local w/art)

If Rupert's rag is your idea of a "reputable source" maybe it IS time to expand your reading choices. Ask Santa to bring you a subscription to My Weekly Reader. Your child's view of journalism should be a good fit.

omnomnom
omnomnom 11/03/10 - 10:04 am
dashiel, I was going to

dashiel, I was going to suggest Highlights® For Kids

Chillen
Chillen 11/03/10 - 10:05 am
dashiel. I don't recall

dashiel. I don't recall seeing any Chronicle endorsement of Deal. Can you please provide the link?

impossible
impossible 11/03/10 - 11:01 am
Johnston.cliff has pretty

Johnston.cliff has pretty well nailed it. Does anyone know if a viable substitute for awful press (AP) is available? Even when the AP writers include a dab of truth, they use the headline to perpetuate the lies.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 11/03/10 - 11:07 am
The Atlanta Journal and

The Atlanta Journal and Constitution is Georgia's newspaper and it's slightly more liberal than the Augusta Chronicle and it's pitch to the old conservative crowd.

The Chronicle would be well advised to run syndicated political cartoons too. The guy doing it now has limited imagination. He can go down to the press floor and help run the machinery.

Chillen
Chillen 11/03/10 - 11:28 am
AJC, slightly more liberal?

AJC, slightly more liberal? No, way more liberal.

gaspringwater, rick's cartoons are the bomb! Don't take your anger over last nights rejection of socialism out on him. Comments like "he can go down to the press floor and help run the machinery" are downright mean to him and to the folks running the machinery.

dashiel
dashiel 11/03/10 - 11:33 am
Chillen, I recycled that

Chillen, I recycled that issue but as I recall it appeared a good while after the one chastising Deal for "forgetting" about the (couple of?) million dollars he failed to disclose.

The theme was vote for Deal anyhow because a governor can be such a help with trog judges and carving out congressional districts that a Republican crook would be preferable to a Democrat crook.

I interpreted this as a mealy-mouthed, left-handed endorsement because the paper TOLD its readers to pick Deal over Barnes. Not an endorsement to which any paper would point with pride, but an endorsement in facto nevertheless.

BobG
BobG 11/03/10 - 11:36 am
I'd like to believe that the

I'd like to believe that the NYT would actually gain a few subscribers (AND ADVERTISERS), and it could even become a more profitable and attractive publication for all political leanings of the reading public if they begin to lean to the middle.

.....But I'm not holding my breath...

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 11/03/10 - 11:52 am
Chillen - Thoughtless of me

Chillen - Thoughtless of me and I apologize to the folks running the machinery. I even humbly apologize if they're union. And I was trying to keep the man employed too. You have to be flexible in these uncertain times.

dashiel
dashiel 11/03/10 - 12:21 pm
I think you were on the right

I think you were on the right track, gaspringwater. The pressmen I've known are congenial and reliable professionals who can assemble or repair almost anything. I doubt they'd take the pay cut though. On the other hand, the woods is full of typists. Some of them even labor under the delusion that this skill makes them writers.

usafvet
usafvet 11/03/10 - 12:31 pm
"You have to be flexible in

"You have to be flexible in these uncertain times." A very good and true statement. I think that dumbobama would do well to heed that statement. He is already hollering, 'bipartisanship'. Funny that he didn't know the meaning of the word.....he still doesn't. Funny that he didn't toss that word out when he and witch pelosi were shoving things down our throat without any inclusion of the Republican party. I think that the AC is a conservative news source, but in the interest of fairness run the AP articles as well as other liberal inputs. As far as Rick's editorial cartoons go, I think he is usually right on, and that is not limited to the local populace, it is representative of this country. The silent majority was just silent for too long. dumbobama has awakened a sleeping giant and he'll wish he hadn't. There are several canned senators and representatives that wish he hadn't also. Personally, I say, HOORAY.

Dixieman
Dixieman 11/03/10 - 12:32 pm
johnston.cliff, as often,

johnston.cliff, as often, leaves me with nothing to say except "ditto". I will note that I used to be a reporter and got a degree in journalism in the sixties. Quit journalism in disgust after my tour of duty in Vietnam when I realized how anti-American the press had become.

Chillen
Chillen 11/03/10 - 01:58 pm
The 1960's hippies made a

The 1960's hippies made a mess of things for this country. It was a turning point for us - and not a good one.

faithson
faithson 11/03/10 - 02:25 pm
The bigots and warmongers

The bigots and warmongers made a mess of this county in the 60's just like they are again.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 11/03/10 - 03:00 pm
Chillen, re: your 1:58, I

Chillen, re: your 1:58, I have to lay the blame on the responsible achievers for the mess of the '60s. I recall the era and the fact that the achievers were too busy achieving and not busy enough being parents. In the prosperity during the era of peace and small government, children didn't get the attention they needed and the huge changes in the country, music, art, politics, social attitudes, technological, and philosophical, were all interrelated and interdependent. A whole new way of thinking was sweeping the country and the "get her done" mentality of parents of the era was not prepared to deal with the wave of change. While we reap the benefit of the more open thinking (microwave, personal computer, cell phone, nuwave) we also have to contend with the waywardness of the unAmerican philosophies (liberalness, progressives, socialists, communists, fascists). Good and bad is all about how we contend with each situation. Now, at (a much delayed) last, it's finally time to deal with the bad parts of the '60s. The Kerry level of thinking has come home to roost. If responsible Americans don't take this current opportunity to start "bailing", I'm certain this country will sink to the socialist level.
Last night's election was a good first step, but there's still a long row to hoe.

Musketeer Gent
Musketeer Gent 11/03/10 - 03:15 pm
usafvet...Assuming we share

usafvet...Assuming we share the same perception of 'Bipartisanship,' President Obama (that is) certainly wasn't the first to believe in the concept. That same desire has also plagued most every administration in history, both Democratic & Republican alike. So, don't kid yourself into thinking the pitch of 'Bipartisanship' is a brand new term/theme for 2008 &/or 2010. That said, save your HOORAYs for a time when both parties can realistically work together, for the betterment of America.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 11/03/10 - 04:09 pm
Hippies were the great age of

Hippies were the great age of American youth and there's never been another event like Woodstock. 500,000 people attended 3 Days of peace and music in August 1969 and it's become part of America's heritage. They may have hoped the new president, Richard Nixon, would bring the Vietnam war to an end. But he escalated the war instead. History tells the rest of the story.